Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Xavery
Msg: 29
We're in recession, but groceries? WTF is up?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
^ I see what you mean. Gas should be a lot cheaper. 3500cents/95cents<160 00cents/135oo cents. Or maybe the problem is we were not been charged enough when oil was 160 barrel. Although this seems highly unlikely.

Food prices are going up despite the so called "repression" and things that used to be free may no longer be that way. Yeap, I'm thinking.
 Merrylass
Msg: 34
view profile
History
We're in recession, but groceries? WTF is up?
Posted: 3/11/2009 7:05:13 AM

not to mention the dark circles under the eyes that is an indication of an intolerance to dairy

Oh fergawdsakes. Please don't post bogus pseudo-medical advice
Those circles are called 'allergic shiners' and are due to nasal congestion blocking blood flow out of the veins. Yes, they do often accompany allergies - as every allergist and a few hundred thousand Google hits will confirm.

Milk also thickens the blood

Utter hooey. Where on earth do you come up with this nonsense? It's been shown that drinking milk is correlated with many healthy benefits, including impeding distribution of belly fat. In several studies, people who drank milk either lost weight more easily or didn't put as much weight on as non-milk-drinkers.

That said, you should avoid saturated fat in all its guises so drinking low-fat or skim milk is the best way to go. Forget worrying about 'thick blood'
 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/11/2009 10:12:08 AM
On the food side I am curious why a store can justify putting a product on sale at 50% of its regular cost claiming the buyer gets a deal.

Changing prices frequently (by whatever excuse) makes it much harder for people to track them, which in turn makes it possible for them to keep prices as high as possible in general. That's how they justify it to themselves.

They don't need to justify it to us ... it works. :)

The theory is that some people are very keen to find bargains (on some things, at least) while others don't really care and just buy whatever presents itself. So they have all kinds of excuses to sell the same thing at different prices, and most of them are total rubbish. Generic brands are the most obvious. Whatever you might think about the cost of marketing driving up brand-name prices, the simple truth is that by having a cheap and an expensive version of the same thing they manage to get more money out of all the people who don't care about prices (especially if they do care about the brand).

Marking down the price of meat that's a couple days old is another such. Sure, the meat will go bad if it sits there for a week... but that isn't the only reason to cut prices on it (and probably not even the major one). It's so they can charge more to all the people who (wrongly) think a 5-day old steak is better in some way than a 7-day old one.

The problem with this is that all of us (even people like me who don't pay much attention to food prices) all have friends who do and who will tell us where the bargains are. That is, they inform us unless something confuses the matter so we can't be bothered to pay attention ... hence the constant "sales."

And by the way, don't think this means that they are out to screw you. It's just them getting as much money as they can out of what they sell and doesn't necessarily affect profits directly. If people got smarter about shopping and started buying more cheap stuff, it's as likely as anything that the price of the cheap stuff would go up as well as the price of the expensive stuff coming down, and wouldn't really make anybody any happier.
 iggwanna
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/11/2009 10:43:05 AM
Rising food costs.
Yesterday I spoke to the owner of the supermarket where I have shopped for many years. His store is an anchor tenant in a medium size strip mall. His customers are very unhappy with the rising prices of groceries.
We had a coffee in his office, he showed me his new lease agreement with the Mall owners. His rent over the term of the lease ( 5 years ) has increased by $5525.00/month. He is not happy with the situation either and must pass onto the customer where possible, his ever increasing costs.
Maybe owning a business is not such an easy road to riches as some would have us believe.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2009 1:25:59 PM
I have a serious hankering for some wild meat.. so who is up for a roadtrip?

some RoadKill on the menu....and remember... when ICBC asks what happened...you tell them that moose ran into the van!...We did not hit that moose.

ya... need moose... would love it stuff like that was readily available at a good price.
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/11/2009 2:59:38 PM

Utter hooey. Where on earth do you come up with this nonsense? - merrylass

From over 20 years of working in the medical & health food industry, personal experience from working with my own family & customers/clients to resolve their families' health issues through diet & natural resources wherever necessary, working with various health-related organizations, research, from watching the videos made on this subject (which examines blood samples taken immediately before & after the ingestion of dairy products), medical documentaries & the Discovery channel, etc.

Seems like we've been down this road before on another thread where you refused to accept the opinions of several other Poffers on another health/medical issue, even though two or three I believe were experts on the topic. Guess you are right & everyone else, experts included, are wrong ... once again.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2009 2:57:18 AM
Why would anyone be surprised when the Mad Cow (BSE) discoveries in Canada drove beef prices down but store prices went up?
ED BEAR
 mcalgary
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2009 8:07:16 PM

^^^ I think the "veggies" are already in City hall.....

OH YES I DID!!!!

LOL!!!!!! Nice
 mcalgary
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2009 10:19:05 PM
^^^^^^

Of course they have. They have lost business, not because of increased competition but because there are less dollars in the overall economy. Although it definantly is not fair for the general public, they have to at least try to make some money. Especially small businesses. Their profits are their income. Competition brings prices but when their are not enough dollars flowing in the competition is stiffled as the stores cannot afford to loose money on certain items to draw you in. There is a reason that some items are soooo cheap. The stores are not putting those items up for losses now. Basic Economics.
 mcalgary
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2010 10:48:05 PM

my gauge of price inflation is a can of campbell soup (not cream of.. or tomato but the vegetable, chicken veg, etc). I don't buy it, I just use it. When I'm at the grocery store I dip my head in the aisle to have a look. It used to be 89 cents or so not that long ago. One store has it now at $1.99 for the last couple months.

Yes, this may be true but you have to realize that the 89 cent can of Campbells soup was not making the store any money (probably a loser for the store). The real price was probably around 1.29 to 1.49 where it is today at many markets(depending on where you live, I am using Maple Ridge BC) Just looked in the Cooper's Foods flyer and it is 65 cents if you buy in a case of 12.
 Sassy-Classy
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/21/2010 6:06:32 AM
Twice a year there is a case lot sale at QF, just paid .58 cents for campbells soups. That is the time I stock up on everything. Plus they give you points you can redeem for a good size turkey. This week it was a box of chicken breasts. I just eat fish or chicken, lots of veggies, will grow a garden this year. Anyone want to go fishing
 Ed Bear
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2010 2:31:13 AM
People without a stock of money can't stock up on anything. People without transport can't shop around OR buy big stocks.

And Choices is an EXTREMELY expensive store catering to yuppies who believe anything they read on the internet about "healthy foods."
ED BEAR
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >