Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Fifi47
Msg: 101
What does voluptuous mean to you?Page 3 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
We have all read different profiles and experienced different things in life. A woman's voluptuous body is appealing to some men and some men might leave her alone. Some men see physical attraction as a big deal, some do not. (the latter are alive, they just seem to live on another planet)
 TravelingLight
Msg: 103
What does voluptuous mean to you?
Posted: 1/17/2010 4:17:57 PM

I wonder if companies who sell clothes in smaller sizes deal with the damaged self esteem of some women who wear very small sizes. After all, everyone does not look the same and self esteem issues are not limited to fat women. Highly developed sexuality and sensuality are personality traits, are they not? Again, I missed the memo telling me that because I do not have an hourglass shape and a certain waist/hip ratio I am not voluptuous or sexual and sensual. This fat woman learns something new everyday here in POF land. (sarcasm dripping from her lips as she types)

I thought we were talking about physical appearance, that's why I said "suggests a highly developed sexuality...".
You can be sexual and sensual personally, but the body has to give the same impression if we're going to say: what a voluptuous body.

I didn't mean hour glass figure, either. I meant, not having any specific shape won't convey that impression. If one is just obese, it doesn't give the impression of voluptuousness. Just of being obese. Plus, overall aspect counts.

That's what I was trying to say. Not implying there's one very specific type of body.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 105
Posted: 1/17/2010 4:42:52 PM

I do have a figure with a significant waist to hip ratio and a big bust and experience tells me men like that.

Yep. Doesn't matter what size, ratio seems to be something popular with the opposite sex.

~OT~ I know what voluptuous isn't. My exhusband went straight to a woman who could have passed for a walking/talking Gumby ('cept that she wasn't green.) Poor little thing had absolutely NO shape (is flat on all sides a shape?? Hmm ??)
 Fifi47
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/17/2010 5:11:17 PM
I am a sexual and sensuous woman, and my shape has little to do with the degree of how sexual or sensuous I am. But then I am possibly a rarity in that I look at a man and his appearance does not make him sexual or sensual to me, as I have met men who were drop dead gorgeous with great looking bodies, but the minute they opened their mouths they became totally asexual to me due to their personalities.
 good_catch77
Msg: 107
Posted: 1/17/2010 6:55:50 PM
To me voluptuous means the same as curvy. I do agree that some men and women have misused the term. I would rather be with the Raquel Welch or Angelina Jolie type of woman than the stick figured model Kate Moss or the opposite end Roseanne Barr.

I love the curves, the way a curvy woman looks in even a pair of jeans and a tee shirt. It don't have to be complicated just simple. A good looking curvy woman doesn't need to show off the "goods" to get a guy. She lets her other attributes do the talking. Which is what I love about them.

as I have met men who were drop dead gorgeous with great looking bodies, but the minute they opened their mouths they became totally asexual to me due to their personalities.

I've met women the same way but that doesn't make me not want one. I don't let one person deem the rest of that type of people. Everyone is a individual. No two of us are a like.

Best of luck to everyone
 Fifi47
Msg: 109
Posted: 1/18/2010 4:56:41 AM
I didn't say that one good looking man made me think that all good looking men were not worth my time, etc. (referring to a previous poster). All women have other attributes besides body parts that they do not have to show off----personality, sense of humor, compassion for others, passions for work and life, etc.
 jdriver87
Msg: 111
Posted: 1/18/2010 6:07:12 AM
Fat...plain and simple.
 Mmmm.Tony
Msg: 112
Posted: 1/18/2010 6:19:06 AM
Busty, with a waist and then hips and a pronounced derriere.
 want to travel
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 6:31:00 AM
def curvy,natural, womanly,and sexy, soft, and ample, not skinny, thin or athletic
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/18/2010 10:29:59 PM
^^^It's all interpretation. I've been called voluptuous many times. I'm also fit to athletic and thin. Just because I choose to be a certain size/work out, doesn't mean I don't have curves (and I don't mean little tiny slopes ~ I'm curvy.) I'd actually prefer to be less curvy, but genetics are what they are and being too thin isn't an option ~ so it is what it is, for me at least. JMO
 PrinceCharmingsCousin
Msg: 115
Posted: 1/19/2010 1:43:56 AM
I had to look up who that was but ya i'd say she's voluptuous, although you can't tell if her ass is flat from her pics.

I still stand by my definition of voluptuous: Kim Kardashian. You could DEFINITELY throw in more names into the hat.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 117
Posted: 1/19/2010 7:05:09 AM

However, a thin woman cannot be voluptuous or rubinesque. At least this is what I learned (despite dictionary meanings).

Thin and voluptuous are contradictory terms... But being voluptuous and lean is not only possible, but desirable.

When did average or a little bit of extra weight became "bad" words? All my life I've strived for "average".

Average isn't necessarily "bad". There's a whole spectrum that runs from best to worst. Judging from what average actually is today, anyone who isn't 30-40 + lbs. overweight is above average. Though still not necessarily good or bad... Eyes of the beholder (beer-holder).
 chill_guy79
Msg: 118
Posted: 1/19/2010 7:40:38 AM
It basically means curvy with huge boobs and ass. Mariah Carey, Jessica Simpson, Marylyn Monroe, Kim Kardashian, J-Lo etc.
 ICMUD
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 4:11:53 AM
i believe it refers to king or queen sized.. or massive if u prefer.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 124
Posted: 1/22/2010 4:16:05 AM
It means pleasure, but most usually take it to mean bountiful ta ta s
or a a little flesh on the bones.

You can be slender and still voluptuous.

I think you are thinking rubenesque , meaning really curvy and some extra fat on the hips thighs and buttocks with bountiful breasts in most cases.

But being voluptuous and lean is not only possible, but desirable.

I agree...
 windloverr
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 4:33:43 AM
Answering the question as it is written, i.e. "What does voluptuous mean too you?" I've almost always heard it used as a polite way of saying, "fat with large breasts". However, reading several of the posts, and especially the ones correcting other posters "misunderstanding" or "misuse" of the word; I got confused. So I looked it up.

–adjective 1. full of, characterized by, or ministering to indulgence in luxury, pleasure, and sensuous enjoyment: a voluptuous life.
2. derived from gratification of the senses: voluptuous pleasure.
3. directed toward or concerned with sensuous enjoyment or sensual pleasure: voluptuous desires.
4. sensuously pleasing or delightful: voluptuous beauty.

The word alludes to sensuality NOT size; and is therefore subject to individual interpretation. Note, NONE of the definitions, in any way, denoted "volume" of either breasts or body; so in the direct interpretation of the word, thin women obviously CAN be voluptuous. AND, as a man who loves sensuous, I now have a delightful appreciation for VOLUPTUOUS! women. :peace:

The dictionary definition I looked up had a link to "ask.com" for pictures of voluptuous; and I also find it worthy to note that while many of the pictures represented what I felt was voluptuous, some of the accompanying adds were for "BBW's" and "XXL girls".

I find it hilarious, amusing, and annoying when people "correct" other people's "misinformed" definitions and thoughts, with the "right" definitions and thoughts; and completely miss the boat. :help:

CJ8Rock
Msg: 126
Posted: 1/22/2010 6:19:34 AM
Eh - I could handle VGE's interpretation -- and wouldn't mind her genetics in the least

Like most English words - exact meaning all depends on the context of use. Can be a good thing, or a bad thing, all depends on how used. Pick which you like - and go from there.
 LifesSimplicity
Msg: 128
Posted: 1/22/2010 1:10:05 PM
Voluptous to me means, having a NICE round or curvy body, and knowing how to move it. How bad it is to have a nice body and then shuffle down the road.. Yuck...

Volumes of beauty, all in one female form!!
 SexyKG74
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 8:29:01 PM
I consider myself voluptuous...I'm not skinny, nor am I a BBW...I workout on a regular basis. If you met me in person, you wouldn't say "she's starving herself" nor would you say "she needs to step away from the table." I think it means you are fit, yet have curves in the right places...my body isn't perfect, but I don't have a double-chin, stomach, or backfat. I can wear a fitted top and you're not going to see rolls on my stomach...and I don't wear undergarments that "suck me in." While there's nothing wrong with them, my belief is if I need to wear one, it's time to step away from the table and hit the gym.

Some of my fave celebrities who I think are in this category:

Scarlett Johannson
Eva Mendes
Kim Kardashian
Kate Winslet
Halle Berry
Sophia Vargara
Monica Belluci
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 132
Posted: 1/25/2010 11:25:07 AM
Posted By: sexykg74

I consider myself voluptuous...

Can't argue with that... At all!

chill_guy79
Msg: 133
Posted: 1/25/2010 11:55:22 AM
one more volumptuous lady...and laugh if you want, but Serena Williams has the most fit, athletic yet bouncy, curvy body of all time.
 PrinceCharmingsCousin
Msg: 134
Posted: 1/25/2010 3:55:12 PM
Jubbz agree on that, I think both Williams sisters are curvy, Serena more so then Venus. BUT they are both to big/jacked for my personal taste...Serena is like 175lbs, doesn't matter that its muscle, thats a big woman. (to much muscle makes women look masculine)

but definitely Serena is bootylicious haha
 Fifi47
Msg: 136
Posted: 1/25/2010 4:48:50 PM
^^^^kind of amusing coming from a guy with your name, shows that we can call ourselves anything we choose, others might think it is true or totally disagree with it. The same for the word voluptuous, as obviously we all do not share the same idea as to what this word means.
 Mike6882
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 5:46:01 PM
It typically means you have huge breasts (sorry for the bluntness haha). I've never heard it used in a negative tone so I would take it as a compliment.
 PrinceCharmingsCousin
Msg: 139
Posted: 1/27/2010 7:05:25 AM
don't you mean Rosie O'Donell?
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >