Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *pisceseyes
Msg: 238
What does voluptuous mean to you?Page 6 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
“The more syllables a euphemism has, the further divorced from reality it is”
-George Carlin
 Fifi47
Msg: 239
What does voluptuous mean to you?
Posted: 3/3/2010 1:00:06 AM
^^^^^Kind of like when people say they are intelligent on their profile? or a few extra pounds instead of big handsome man or big beautiful woman or a myriad of other euphemisms? Obviously everyone has their own opinion of what the word voluptuous means, as one can be fat and voluptupus or thin or average and voluptuous, depending on how they interpret the definition(s) of the word.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 240
Posted: 3/3/2010 1:19:14 AM

^^^^^Kind of like when people say they are intelligent on their profile? or a few extra pounds instead of big handsome man or big beautiful woman or a myriad of other euphemisms? Obviously everyone has their own opinion of what the word voluptuous means, as one can be fat and voluptupus or thin or average and voluptuous, depending on how they interpret the definition(s) of the word.

So do you subscribe to the Mad Hatter's philosophy that words mean exactly what 'I want them to mean' and nothing more or less" and that they have no meaning outside of what you give them in the moment?

That seems a trifle egotistical and ignorant of millennium of language, culture, history and common usage...

So if someone farts in an enclosed space and I call them a common thief because they robbed us of "good clean air" you'd agree? No matter how absurd or subjective that is?

Oooo-kay?
 Fifi47
Msg: 241
Posted: 3/3/2010 4:01:24 AM
I was referring to the dictionary definitions, which are varied. It seems to me that people who look at their definition of the word as the only correct definition are a bit closed minded.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 242
Posted: 3/3/2010 11:35:03 AM

I was referring to the dictionary definitions, which are varied. It seems to me that people who look at their definition of the word as the only correct definition are a bit closed minded.

Excuse the snarkiness of my last post, in my defense, I was a little "in the bag"...and forgot I wasn't supposed to post after climbing in said bag

But respectfully what I said I do still stand by and will have to disagree with you. I don't think it's a matter of close-mindedness. Dictionaries don't "set" the meanings of words, they merely collect the commonly used definitions. Collective use, linguistic roots and history sets the meaning. That's why individuals selectively choosing to redefine a word is actually more close-minded than sticking with conventional meanings. It's saying "to hell with what words have meant for hundreds of years to millions of people...I'm going to say it now means this and screw everyone else."

That essentially just singles a person out as functionally illiterate unless by some stroke of luck we can convince a few thousand people to accept our new word usage and it takes off.

Otherwise, one is just being arbitrary, like the Mad Hatter...and he was nuts

“The more syllables a euphemism has, the further divorced from reality it is”
-George Carlin

Awesome quote and I meant to say thanks for posting this *pisceseyes.

He was talking about "shellshock" (two syllables) which became "battle fatigue" (four) to "post traumatic stress disorder" (eight!?!?!)

voluptuous...that's four...haw! :D
 *pisceseyes
Msg: 244
Posted: 3/3/2010 6:52:04 PM

Awesome quote and I meant to say thanks for posting this *pisceseyes.

He was talking about "shellshock" (two syllables) which became "battle fatigue" (four) to "post traumatic stress disorder" (eight!?!?!)

voluptuous...that's four...haw! :D

hehe..only 4??? we'll have to fix that! hmmm....

how bout "Acquired Lipo Surplus Disorder" NINE!

(lol)

G.C. was great btw :)
 valenciacityx
Msg: 245
Posted: 3/3/2010 9:53:52 PM
Kelly McGillis in Top Gun yes
Kursty Alley Lick Life reality show.... NO
Madonna.... Like a Virgin yes...... Vogue Not So Much
Monica Lewinsky.... girl nailed the president, those are dangerous curves !
Selma Hayek.... whait for it...... vol up 2 us.

Next there should be a list of actresses that NEED a SAMMICH
The girl that plays Fiona on Burn Notice.....SAMMICH
one of the olsen twins, the emaciated one, dont know which one it is.... SAMMICH
Ally McBeal.... SAMMICH
Kate Moss.... SAMMICH
 Mmmm.Tony
Msg: 246
Posted: 3/3/2010 10:48:34 PM
My definition. Curvy / hourglass shape. Big breasts and butt. Relatively thin waist. For others, it may be a nice way of saying that you are obese.

How can someone who is obese have a relatively thin waist? Someone obese has a huge stomach.

And btw this thread is redundant, as in already done ...to death even...as in 4 other different versions. Most of us aren't there, only you were. We are kinna only here.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 247
Posted: 3/4/2010 12:37:22 AM

And btw this thread is redundant, as in already done ...to death even...as in 4 other different versions. Most of us aren't there, only you were. We are kinna only here.

If you're new to the PoF forums there's a little thing called "thread search" that you can do to see if your topic has ever been covered before so you are not simply making the noise to signal ratio higher on the forums...it reduces the likelihood of your thread getting nuked by the moderators. Just a courteous note for those who are new...like a welcome wagon basket.
 Fifi47
Msg: 252
Posted: 3/7/2010 2:16:31 AM
^^^^Many of us do accept out body types, embrace them, and do not try to fool others about what our body shape and size is IRL. We are called voluptuous, curvy, rubenesque, large, fat, bbw, ugly, gross, grotesque, hideous, beautiful, sexy, hot, busty, and various other names. Life goes on, as we all have different meanings of the word voluptuous, none of which are right or wrong. It is obviously a personal opinion.
 Fifi47
Msg: 254
Posted: 3/7/2010 6:01:17 AM
I agree, all people do need to feel good about themselves, and if someone does not care for others, then move on. Rudeness and making fun of anyone is a good way to gain enemies and lose friends. Unfortunately, some people's self esteem seems to hinge on their appearance, no matter if they are large, voluptuous, thin or average. After reading these forums I totally understand how they might feel this way.
 *mandrake*
Msg: 256
Posted: 3/7/2010 6:20:07 AM
you don't have to be big to be voluptuous. Part of it is presentation and confidence. Case in point: I had a relationship a long time ago with a lady from England. She was all of 5'4" and about 115 lbs. When she was naked, she was as voluptuous as anyone! Small but pert breasts, nice tapering shoulders, slim but flared hips, very round butt, nice thighs and quads, and a flat tummy. Her skin shone like a beacon. All the right curves, in all the right places! mmmmmm!
 Pomose
Msg: 257
Posted: 10/10/2011 10:13:53 PM
The description WalkingInLondon gave was text book perfect. Theres been a couple threads on here on voluptuous/full figured women, and I comment on everyone! I've always been attracted to voluptuous women, there's nothing else for me!!!!!!!!!!!! You do for a pair of guess jeans or levis what Stonehenge did for rocks.
 flittery1
Msg: 258
Posted: 10/10/2011 10:21:04 PM
Marilyn Monroe, Mae West.
 Pomose
Msg: 259
Posted: 10/10/2011 10:24:31 PM
Thumbs up SocaSweetie, loved your post on this thread. but we forgot to add the pouty lips. There, now the cherry is on the sunday
 Yew4ics
Msg: 260
Posted: 10/11/2011 12:27:17 AM
sexykg74
I consider myself voluptuous...

I would agree, and go so far as to call you our forums poster girl, for what this term means. I also think that height adds to the voluptuous factor. JMO
 ricman3434x
Msg: 261
Posted: 10/11/2011 3:04:44 AM
to me, "voloptuous", "thick", "curvy", all of these are just nice politically correct terms for "fat chicks". no women are fat anymore. and no men either, they are just "big guys" . "fat" is such a dirty word, we have come up with much nicer terms to not hurt anyone's feelings. I mean if u describe urself as having an "avg." body type, well avg. in this country is fat. just and honest perspective on what it really means.
 MikeWM
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2011 7:04:20 AM
To me it means what its supposed to mean

A woman who is actually shaped LIKE a woman meaning her waist is narrower than her hips and her hips/chest are in a reasonably balanced proportion to the rest of her so that she does infact still physically resemble a member of the female gender

But where her proportions are "generous" or ample without her being fat or overweight

However most women I have seen who describe themselves as "voluptuous" tend to be fat, over weight or have the physical appearance of a female beach ball rather than a woman

I think we actually need a new word for fat or overweight women who misuse the word so they can be picked out from the women who are ACTUALLY voluptuous

The overweight ones should actually use the word "Vo-lump-tuous" instead as its far more acurate IMO
 MisterMandon
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2011 10:21:32 AM
I love meat not skin n bones....Soooo much sexier!
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 265
Posted: 10/11/2011 10:29:04 AM
It means that she'd better have pictures that show her body off.

BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 266
Posted: 10/11/2011 10:47:29 AM
voluptious to me means hard to pick up in my arms...

lol

today voluptious means curvy.

ie- overweight, but not toooo much...and kinda sexy...if you're into that kinda thing.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 267
Posted: 10/11/2011 11:01:22 AM
To me, voluptuous would describe someone with a figure similar to my own -- with large breasts, a defined waist, and hips.

I tend not to describe myself as voluptuous, however, because there are so many women that have used the term that it is altogether useless in giving an accurate description of someone's body shape.

Some women figure just because they have big boobs that means they're voluptuous, but pretty much any woman who is majorly obese will have large breasts. The breast size itself does not make one voluptuous, it's the fact that they have large boobs AND an hourglass figure that does. If a woman's belly sticks out further than her boobs, she is NOT voluptuous no matter how big the girls are.
 musical_turtle
Msg: 268
Posted: 10/11/2011 11:11:02 AM
I think 'voluptuous' means the woman has nice boobs,hips,legs,and butt (and isn't stick thin or overweight)
Like...I think Salma Hayek and Kim Kardashian are 'voluptuous'...because they have shape to them.
It all depends on the guy I think...some guys are just into boobs and don't mind if the woman has a flat butt. Some guys are into butts, and don't care much for boobs.
Then there are guys who like it all lol idk
 getanet
Msg: 269
Posted: 10/11/2011 1:39:44 PM
I see so many profiles of women on here who are OVERWEIGHT and say how proud they are of their "curves." Stop that!

"Curves" would insinuate an "hourglass" shape, not something close to a Sharpei complete with "rolls."

If a woman still has a defined WAIST, I would call her "voluptuous" or "thick."

If she's just overweight with a large chest, well, that's all it is. A woman's hips are so sexy when she has a waist that is defined. That is the defining feature for me in the term "voluptuous."
 countryshorty31
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2011 2:06:08 PM
"Curves" would insinuate an "hourglass" shape, not something close to a Sharpei complete with "rolls."

-Thank you!! I've always described myself as curvy, but so many overweight women use it that it has almost lost its meaning.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >