Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > WTF are the little yellow dots      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fun70
Msg: 20
view profile
History
WTF are the little yellow dotsPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I am just as serious as I was when I was paying for a singles web site. Plenty of fish is still advertised as a 100% free web site on other sites such as my spice. So, that is not a true statement anymore, but I saw it today again.
 hoopsmom
Msg: 21
WTF are the little yellow dots
Posted: 3/12/2009 7:08:45 PM
And why does posting on forums and attending events make someone more serious than others?
 previouslyme
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/12/2009 7:27:13 PM
I have never thought attending an event or posting on forums made anyone different from those that choose not to. I have never heard anyone claim that. If you prefer a person that doesn't that is a personal choice..... and visa-versa.... Many don't even know about the parties and the forums.
 Sue-De-Nym
Msg: 23
The site is supported from ad revenue
Posted: 3/12/2009 9:56:51 PM
http://www.doshdosh.com/learn-from-adsense-millionaire-markus-frind/

But it wouldn't surprise me if ad revenues are shrinking in this economy...

They should be a punishment, not a bonus.

Eaxactly - like a scarlet letter! "You've been very BAD now you have to wear a little yellow dot on your profile!"
 previouslyme
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/13/2009 10:05:47 PM
I hope they are getting plenty of money for the annoying ads that move around and talk to you on our screens, sometimes they cover up what you need on your screen. Those had better be paying a lot of money.
 afashionlady
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/14/2009 7:17:58 AM

Hi there, guessing you've not been on the main relationship board lately.

The "poor man" owner is doing this as an upgrade--yes you pay $6 a month to show that you're a "serious member"

That being said, first yellow dot I see out the box? A guy who's separated and looking for "other relationships"...yes he's serious about something alright...

There was a HUGE thread, close to 20 pages in under 3 days, about this and how most people who are here and saying they're serious don't need no "stinkin badges". The owner basically asked what people thought, then said well forum users' opinions don't count anyway, then insulted women by saying that the $6 badge would make us think that a guy who's paying for this would be serious and that would show he has money... . Yes, it shows something...but not that someone has money.

The overwhelming majority who voted say uh no thanks...it sucks. And yes, oddly enough, yellow badges started showing up everywhere. Those who didn't pay for it started ****ing--most of them didn't KNOW they had one until they went to look at their profile! And when asked, some said that it was a "reward for being a good member".

LOL--if you knew my posting history you'd know "good member" would be soooooooooooo not a way to describe me!!

So if you get a yellow badge of courage ( ) and don't want it, let the owner know. Or not...lol.

AFL

Oh...and here's the last thread Markus posted about this...

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts11968938.aspx
 Sue-De-Nym
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/14/2009 7:21:33 AM
Jim, when I first got on here, I had heard the figure of $900k a year thrown around re: Google Adsense and I thought that was a LOT for one guy to be making, working out of his house for himself! Jinkies! My jaw about hit the floor when I saw the actual revenues this site produces. In the OLD dotcom days, companies were rushing to try to provide things for FREE (like Netzero.com) that they could later turn into cash by changing their business model slightly and collecting money from their customers for the service (that they used to provide for free). But I think Markus has the right idea - go after the AUDIENCE and then collect ad revenues from the companies that want to reach that audience. What do they know about us? How old we are, that we're all single and "looking" for something, how much MONEY we make (if we filled out that field in the initial registration), what ZIP code we live in, that we own cars, that we have kids, etc. Genius! And as word spreads, their audience grows larger everyday.

On another note, I was bored one night and actually followed a link on one of the ads about what the BEST DATING WEB SITE was. The site I read included critiques of several "singles" sites out there (EHarmony, Match, etc) and also included this about POF: that it was difficult to "stand out" amongst all the other people (fishies) on the site. At least that was the author's opinion (but she was selling something! ) I know Match has that RED background you can buy to stand out. Not sure about the others. I guess the yellow dots are a fast, cheap implementation that can be made (and billed!) and you stand out a little more from the other profiles. I must admit that I have clicked profiles with those dots just to take a look/see.

That being said, first yellow dot I see out the box? A guy who's separated and looking for "other relationships"...yes he's serious about something alright...

I guess he wanted to stand out from ALL THE OTHER MEN looking for the same thing? ;-)

(tongue in cheek)

komodo
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2009 2:25:55 PM

Google "Markus Frind" and you'll find out how much he's making with this being a FREE site. Just think if it goes paid.

I don't buy dates.

I'm a happy fishy just as it is.

^^^^interesting article. The article says the site says the site makes 5 million a year from ads only. I had no idea.... Guess I'll have to pay to be a serious member ...Oh, the Humanity!... On second thought, I don't think it costs the great god of the galaxy 5 million a year to run this little piece of virtual semi-reality I think I'll hold onto my wallet and live with the shame of not being a serious member. There's always real-life.

Stay Casual....
 komodo
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2009 5:06:43 AM

5 million a year <<< AND he says he lives in an apartment

YES, but, its a BIG apartment! With hot and cold running servants

Its been how long since this "SERIOUS MEMBER" thing was unleashed on the world of POF. I wonder, of those that paid for the dot, are they noticing a difference? Inquiring minds want to know.....
 previouslyme
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/3/2009 11:56:42 AM
LOL... Guess he is so busy he hasn't had time to house hunt, or he doesn't have time for it.

If it weren't for his idea for this website, we wouldn't have anything near as nice to complain about... Nor would we have as many new friends, potential friends and no where near the events that increase the number of singles you can meet. May not ever find the one, but it can be fun swimming around in the ocean searching... sight seeing...

I think maybe there was something bigger and better planned once the new level started. I wish they made them, the yellow dots, look like gold fish!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/5/2009 8:53:11 AM
I have no problem at all, with Markus offering this option...but my argument originally was that I think it needs to be referred to as something other than "serious dater." It IS...now it is "Serious Member" OR "VIP Member"... (You get to choose which you prefer.) The main argument is...being able to purchase a dot, or upgrading...does NOT make one more serious about dating...Markus is a prime example of such...he possesses the badge and HAS A GIRLFRIEND. LOL (I guess that is where the difference between VIP and SERIOUS comes into play??) All it DOES mean is...you were either a sucker, or bestowed one and are, instead...a lab rat!!

Also, nothing is being taken away from those of us who opt NOT to upgrade. Upgrading gets the ads off your page (they never bother me, anyway) and they get you unlimited points to spend on the virtual gifts. (silly stuff, anyway!) and they supposedly make you stand out in searches. Personally...I am quicker to delete the "serious member" emails from my Inbox...as the yellow dot annoys the heck out of me...but I am anal like that! LOL Only a VERY small percentage of members actually participate in the forums...so it would be SILLY to make the forums a paid feature. I think the figure is 4%?

Also...no offense to any who have them...but in MY searches, I find those with the dots seem to be the most...well...how to say this nicely...fvck it...I can't! The fugliest and most desperate!

It HAS added a lotta fun and humor! :O) At the St. Pat's party, we were taking the golden confetti coins and placing them on our foreheads..."I am a SERIOUS DATER!"

But to ANYONE who critisizes him for the financial aspect of things...EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU would be doing the same thing, if it was YOUR brainstorm. Why should he NOT make money off of something so genius?? People try to imitate Plentyoffish (or top it) and it has not happened yet, has it?? LOL
 Kprus60
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/6/2009 8:42:36 PM
OKAY ALL YOU POFer's ...that means you too, Susie...lol...I received MY "serious member " status FREE for 1year given to me by THE BIG FISH...Marcus...I did NOT and will NOT pay for it!!!! Please don't judge other members by the status of the "yellow dot"...I do not know how I rated that dot, but I appreciate The BIG FISH thinking of me...
You all can just ask some of us lucky ones I guess, to get the real story...

Good luck to all

komodo
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2009 5:52:23 AM
Too all those who got their dot for free: Cool dot! So what do you call it? How 'bout the "bound and determined, contemplative dot".
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/7/2009 4:00:45 PM
Hey Kprus...were you given the option of accepting or declining it? That's all I really want to know! I have seen many who got the placebo dot...lol..who feel compelled to tell such on their profile....which made me wonder...did he not give you all the choice to accept or decline? Are those who tell such, embarrassed to have it?

Honestly...I might have bought it had it been called something different. LOL Just in support of the site...but then again, I think I support the site plenty as it is! LOL
 Kprus60
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/7/2009 9:22:06 PM
Hey Kat...
To be honest with ya...I don't remember if there was that option ...to accept or decline...it was just there one day...but I'll gladly accept it as long as it is free...who wouldn't or maybe that's just me...it doesn't bother me...I and caught one without it(the dot)...I still have alot of guys checking out my profile, but who knows why...because of the dot??? or just because...
 SusieStL
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/7/2009 11:06:57 PM
OK Miss Kprus... hhhmm that doesn't sound very good...

you are too silly.. I do NOT believe he gave you an option.. it just appeared.

and like you said, you had the dot but you hooked your fishie on your own, well with a little help from your friend...(isn't there a song with those lyrics?? LOL) ...so what the h3ll.. dot or no dot that is the question?

FYI: hey fishies... I am planning on hosting a party July 30th on a thursday night don't want to take Wed nights away from the other folks... with co hostess of Cathy, Karen and Dodie... might add to that list soon.
So keep that thursday night open... it WILL be south but since we south fishies have made it to others.. I do hope you make it south. Just giving a heads up.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/8/2009 7:50:56 AM
Katte...the yellow dot disease gives you unlimited points to send out the virtual gifts! It also makes you stand out in the search results and so on!

Wow Kprus...you have been here for a few weeks or so, haven't ya? Awesome! Congrats...may the two of you swim happily in the pond of love, for a long time!

Susie...read up on the hosting rules, chica. Unless they changed it...which hopefully they did...you must have a host and co-host, but cannot have more than one co-host. *lol* Silly, I know...but that's what it WAS.
 Kprus60
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/8/2009 7:09:41 PM
Well Meoowzie...
Yes I have seen more action on my profile, but is it cuz of the dot or not??? I have Susie to thank 4 all the help in gettin out there ...Susie...I luv ya gf...when I started hangin with her I 've met a lot of peeps. I also have a very outgoing personality with working in the dental field & working the farmers markets here in good ole St. Louis...the confidence has always been there...it has just exploded with hangin with all of the peeps I have met thru POF...Bob is a great guy...hope it works 4 a long time...but time will tell... that goes to u babe...lol

Perks??? unlimited "gifts" and can do 16 pic on ur profile I think...I think when someone sees the "dot" they're wondering what the hell it's all about and they look...
It's ALL ABOUT THE FUN...and I am havin' the time of my life right now...I always put myself on the "back burner" when my husband was alive...he and my son always came 1st...now it's MY turn 2 live it up!!!
Hope 2 cya all soon...Like Susie said we are hosting a party on July 30th...in Sunset Hills...
good luck
 Kprus60
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/8/2009 7:30:14 PM
Hey Kat...
Yes ur right about only being on here a short time. since Dec. 08...but really didn't get into the POF parties til St.Pat's Day event with Susie...and her damn camera she has been a GREAT inspiration for Cathy 'n me...she is showin' us the ropes...gf ur a HOOT...like I said b4, I'm having the time of my life with these chicas...
I met Bob at Shady's when we were doin' the lipstick taste test...yum yum!!!
He is a sweetie...
Hey Susie ...wanna do some Jagerbombs with me??? we can wear our JagerThongs...
 komodo
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 9:10:29 PM

look at my profile. mine is the very silly sarcastic dot

its a very silly sarcastic dot in a very dignified way. So what do *you* charge for your dot??
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/9/2009 7:21:45 AM
Well I can add yet another "match made in Harley Heaven" *LOL* to my list, then! I just changed my profile up, and even mentioned how I LOVE hosting cause it is a great feeling to at least be partially involved or responsible for so many matches made!

I had forgotten about the photos being increased to 16...duh oh...knew that there was something else! You know...I might even be tempted to support Markus' newest endeavor if he allowed for the lowest pricing, on a reoccurring, monthly charge. I mean...how is paying for a SINGLES WEBSITE, a YEAR in ADVANCE, "serious?" It is kind of DISCOURAGING, if you ask me, and sends a mixed message! I would think those "truly serious" would have plans to not stay here for a YEAR. LOL
 SusieStL
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/9/2009 12:37:22 PM
Hey Susie ...wanna do some Jagerbombs with me??? we can wear our JagerThongs...

don't believe a word she said.

and the Only way I my JagerThong is on my head.... (clears throat) the way you did darlin. I am such the bad influence. NOT

I will take a Jeger shot but NOT chased by tequilla again... ever again.

Oh, I have met someone... it was one of those impromptu fishie get togethers. He is NOT on pof.. never has been.. and it appears he has no need to ever get on here. Again, only time will tell.

ooppss on topic.. who needs gold when you have silver???
 komodo
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2010 4:18:58 PM

- the prelude to asking your income...

-Allegedly the income information will be kept private....lol
-Allegedly the income information will be used to find you a better match...lol, lol
-since I'm not in the habit of lying cuz I'd forget the lie
-but since I have written record and evidence here to remind me
-and since I'm promised to get better matches and since logic has it as being better to be fed than feeding others, I concluded after long internal

I LIED!!! I LIED!!! I LIED!!!

and guess what after a week looking and comparing the search results all of the same ole fishies still show up.

The question has very little to do with matches, more to do with advertising. I haven't changed, so, why would my matches......
 ed4smooth
Msg: 43
Posted: 9/9/2011 10:09:22 AM
So, once you pay for something, you are more serious.

Could someone send me a quote for entrance to Heaven. Apparently, my hard work in that area may not be enough.

I'm considering starting to run again. Who should I pay to make sure that I am serious about my running?

taste0fitaly
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/26/2016 11:07:39 PM
I wouldn't say that. Keep in mind, you are looking at the pay option as something YOU wouldn't need or want.

There are people who want those added features. You get more circulated, you get better visibility of activity (like who wants to meet you)

Some people have schedules or personal items that prevent the free option from working for them.

Do I personally feel it is worth the investment? No, not as long as I can email and get email.

Until then....

It is just a matter of time before we are all forced to pay to play at some point.. Trust me on that.

These sites and any site for that matter save the .org and .gov sites are strictly around to get money from users.
Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > WTF are the little yellow dots