Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Warrencraig
Msg: 4
view profile
History
School Shooting(s),... are they connected with aggressive video games?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
enforce the age restrictions more rigidy. most these excessively violent games are age restricted.

its exactly the same with films

if parents wont do thier job and restrict access to such things then things like this will happen.

Watching the odd video behind parents backs isnt likely to cause someone to go on a killing spree. systematic watching of unsuitable material may well cause such things but then you will probably find other "risk" factors such as bullying etc having an effect. After all, even if your that deluded you believe the video games, you still need a good reason in your mind to machine gun your school mates, even if you think they will use thier spare lifes to come back!!
 Warrencraig
Msg: 8
view profile
History
School Shooting(s),... are they connected with aggressive video games?
Posted: 3/12/2009 5:38:25 PM
we already have some of the most strict gun laws in the world here.

If it wasnt guns it would be kitchen knives or "daddys" car being used to mow down a bus stop of kids etc. More restrictions on weapons wont work over here really.

Not forgetting to mention the ease of availabity of illegal firearms being the easiest way to get hold of lethal weapons.
 bootielicious
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 1:33:15 AM
There will always be people with addictive natures, people that hold on to something and make it the 'reason' for being. These people need to be given moderation as the addiction can become more severe.

Before video games this would have been blamed on horror or action movies. As someone else has already stated, people were already aware that he was unstable and no one should have a gun in their home that is not locked away. This could not have happened if it had been.

My son likes computer games, but then he also likes going out with his friends and spending time with his girlfriend, he is not obsessed and knows the difference between reality and fiction. I don't see the point in stopping him playing the games that are acceptable for his age group just because someone else had a problem.
 Lorri55
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 4:34:00 PM
well it's 13 years to the day since the Dunblane Massacre up here in Scotland when 13 school children (primay age)were murdered by a gunman who then took his own life.....
.....things don't seem to have moved on since then at all
 Warrencraig
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 6:50:26 PM

well it's 13 years to the day since the Dunblane Massacre up here in Scotland when 13 school children (primay age)were murdered by a gunman who then took his own life.....
.....things don't seem to have moved on since then at all

Thats not surprising in the slightest and i dont get why your surprised??? The nutjob at Dunblane was a administrative failure of the FAC system allowing someone with such issues to still keep a FAC. Banning handguns didnt really change anything

Also unless someone has a "history" then theres nothing you can do.

Also yes the gun in the german house wasnt locked up but i bet the kid knew how to get the keys and locking the guns up would only have slowed him down, not stopped him. Even if there were no guns in the house he could have easily sourced an illegal one or used a knife etc.

changing the laws has had ZERO practical effect on gun crime as the vast majority of guns in this country are in the hands of criminals and are illegally obtained firearms.

Laws wont change anything unless they are rigidly enforced.
 pantsonfire
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 5:51:15 AM
I don't believe that violent games have anything whatsoever to do with these school shootings, or any other attacks tbh ... They might inspire these people to kill others in a certain manner but the actual killings are already there, inside the killers head...

I have a certain level of pity for this young man who has gone out and killed so many people...

He said, nobody believed in him, everyone laughed at him.. He was described as a loner...

Well guess what, so was I... Why? Because the hoity toity 'IT crowd' decided I wasn't worthy of their attentions... They ostracised me and I spent my school years alone, labelled a weirdo and loner...

Ok so I never killed anyone... But I tell you now.. Some mornings when facing the thought of an entire day at the mercy of these evil creatures... If you'd have handed me a gun... Combined with raging pubescent hormones... I might well have been one of these statistics .... And I wasn't even allowed to watch television... The revenge was all cooked up in my own mind...

So although I do not excuse, condone or even quietly applaud his actions, I do understand how someone can be driven to such extremes... And whilst I have every sympathy for his victims.. Maybe they could look into their own hearts and take some responsibility .. Not for the killings but for his depths of despair, which were so obvious in his online conversations with a friend the night before...
 pantsonfire
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 9:45:17 AM
^^ How right you are ... So many also rans are ignored and expected to just cope with being non entities.. Expected to do their utmost with no recognition, with no reward, with no praise...

Perhaps as an only child from a well to do family, he was being pressured by them for being 'nothing special' ...

Many families put unfair pressure on their children..

More emphasis needs to placed on children's mental and emotional well being instead of everything being geared towards exam results and school league tables!!!!

There are too many children out there who are desperate for someone to notice them, to notice something is dreadfully wrong with them ... To help make them better...
 restless_native
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 10:20:29 AM
Some people are just mental. Regardless of whether they have access to violent video games, horror films or snuff movies they would still be mental.

Although myabe I'm oversimplifying things a bit.
 oggers
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2009 5:07:50 AM
We should ban guns
ban schools ( no school - no school shootings anymore)
ban computers
ban computer games
ban violent movies
ban ventriloquists dummies,
ban clowns
ban toy guns
ban playing with other kids
ban aggressive movies,
ban mildly annoying movies
ban Tom and Jerry cartoons,
ban alcohol,
ban anyone driving at more than 25 m.p.h.
ban darts and all other sharp objects
ban cricket and rounders (bats could be used as weapons!)
in fact, we should just ban kids altogether.

And have a curfew after 6 pm .

that should keep the pc lobby happy - in fact, I'm sure that this government is along the road to a lot of these as we speak .....
 oggers
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2009 5:21:21 AM

don't ban alcohol

.... it'll come ....
 Marmite baby
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2009 2:47:54 PM
I think blaming school shootings on video games is too simplistic. I don't know the cause, but read "We Need to Talk about Kevin" a while ago. It's fiction but thought provoking. Was on sale in Tesco's the last time I went.
 oggers
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 4:55:02 AM

blaming school shootings on video games is too simplistic

Yes - There have always been incidents like these as long as there have been guns , and before the video age " I Dont Like Mondays" anyone ... ?!

Anyway, the car kills THOUSANDS of people every year worldwide - Lets ban cars !!!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >