Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Guns and the giggle factor?LOL      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Double Cabin
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Guns and the giggle factor?LOLPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Mavcom,

Many thanks for your well considered response. I am of course familiar with Professor Kleck. He is a great source but many people, IMHO of course, try and use his statistic out of context.

There's no doubt that a gun in the hand of an INDIVIDUAL can prevent a crime. That however does not change the extent statistical fact though that more guns has indeed equaled a greater liklihood of gun crime, violence, and accidental shooting across the general POPULATION.

Some folks like to assert that gun bans have caused a spike in British Crime. I challenge anyone here to provide verifiable documentation that a higher percentage of the British population has been shot than ours.

As to concealed carry: It does stand to reason that would certainly cause some criminals to have second thoughts about where they exercise their craft. Again however, there is as far as I can tell no verifiable statistical evidence to show a marked drop in gun crime where there are concelaed weapons allowances. After the VA Tech shootings police pointed out that concealed carry on that campus very well could have exascerbated that tradjedy since when the police arrived they would have absolutely no idea who was friend or foe.

mmalueg said: "A armed population protects the very freedom that most people assume will always be there......."

With all due respect in reality it is our well regulated militia, today's military that ultimately does that, not John Q. Public. The ultimate question here is who's freedom supercedes who, the individual's right to bear arms or a community's rights to have statisticly safer communities? And again since your not the only person to miss this, as of March 14, 2009 more guns have always equaled more death out of wart zones, period. You may value your "freedom" more than the public well being but fortunately not all of us do. As to the second Ammendment and freedom pardon my asking but EXACTLY what well regulated militia do you belong to mmalueg?

Firearms companies have , among othert things, manufactured cheap throw away guns that's only convenience/benfit is the low cost if disposal of said gun is required for any reason, criminal or otherwise. Among other things I am not OK with that, and if any of you are please do explain.

As to the founders: Do any of you really think any of them envisioed assault rifles? Cheap, multichambered hand guns? Do you think they might have been wise in the militia stipulation? I for one do not expect the recent Supreme Court case to stand indefinitely. What right does the federal government have to tell individual jurisdicitons personal rights supercede those of the statisticly proven public good?

Thanks again Mavcom. Disagreement is so much more rewardng when it is civil. I know I have by no means "won" any argument here. I do however hope some of our other friends, on both "sides" of the issue, choose to go through life a little less detached from reality than they have to this point.

Thanks again gentlemen,

John

John
 wisguyingb
Msg: 12
Guns and the giggle factor?LOL
Posted: 3/14/2009 3:34:17 PM
Regarding message #18

You know we have Freedom of Speech.. But why are there no laws regulating what the individual says? After all you might insult someone...... Perhaps we should regulate speech and make a society were people are not offended by what others talk about on TV, Radio the Internet. Many people across the general POPULATION take offense to what others say. So lets regulate speech.....
(That was heavy sarcasm and only made to make a point)

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

I do not belong to any militia...yet. If needed I would answer and join/form a militia.(was in the Army reserve for 6 years) Militia men just show up when they please and leave when they want. They are unpaid, non government troops. Also my guns are locked up in a gun vault(It would take a lot of time and effort to get into there) Many anti gun advocates claim that the National Guard is the "well regulated Militia". But this is so far from the truth since the Guard was formed in 1903 (Well after the US Constitution was written and the National Guard is not entirely independent because they may be federalized) True the founders may not have in-visioned "assault rifles" back in their time. But do you think they envisioned TV, Radio, internet when they wrote the first Amendment? Maybe free speech should only apply to what the founding fathers we aware of. News papers, books and public gatherings. You agree right? After all that is the case that you are making here. "being necessary to the security of a free State" Its so clear that that founders did realize the importance of having a armed population that could "even" the odds if the Government became oppressive or if we were invaded. So I do strongly believe they would want weapon's that could "even" the odds in the general populations hands in the future just as I think the founders would want us to have free speach on the TV, radio and internet. The "well regulated militia" was wording that the general population was familiar with. Just like the no "bills of credit"(paper money with nothing to back them as we have with the current Federal Reserve System) So far we the people have not rid ourselves of the Money masters(The private Federal Reserve system) but people are waking up all across America on behalf of that issue. Join in the "End the Fed" rallies on 4-25-2009!

Anti-gunners however will jump at any chance they can get to get rid of the Second Amendment. How come they don't look at the rest of the sentence-- "being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Its clear as night and day......"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed". Pretty clear.

I also have never even committed a crime(unless you count that speeding ticket 10 years ago) So why should I not be able to own a firearm? Am I not trust able???

If England would have disarmed the American population sooner then there would have been no revolution.

Gun control does work though...Just ask the experts--Hitler, Stalin....They understood the greatness of gun control.

We can out right ban guns but there will still be gun crime. (Or knife(etc) crime in which the victim can't fight back as easy)

We banned alcohol (Prohibition) and it lead to lots of crime and at the end of the day if you wanted alcohol you could find it.

We have multi bans on drugs and in the end the drug cartels are getting rich by running drugs and the general public can get the drugs they want if they look for them.

This idea of just "banning" something to solve a problem seems to never work and leads to stronger criminal organizations and more wasteful government spending to fight the problem.

So how can a person say that by "banning" guns that gun crime will go down? If anything it only makes the potential victim a easier target.

Lets actually lock up the people that commit crime and stop this non sense of rehabilitation of criminals.

Last I checked drugs were illegal and they seem to be pretty easy to find...why is that? After all they are banned...
 867love
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/14/2009 3:50:16 PM
an armed society is a polite society -ted nugent

-how many houses would get burglarized if every home owner slept with a gun?
-how many planes are going to get hijacked if everyone on the plane had a gun?
-would you be that apt about flipping off that jerk on the road or cutting off someone if every car had a driver with a gun?
-would a rapists run rampant if he thought that woman he was following into the parking garage had her hand on a .380 in her pocket -and the training to use it?
-how about that purse snatcher -mistaking that 44 magnum under grandmas coat, -thinking its just a crutch or brace
 wisguyingb
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/14/2009 5:25:52 PM
Adding on to my response at message #19 regarding message #18.

You know you actually got me thinking a lot and here is my answer to your question when you asked me "What well regulated militia I belong to? " This well regulated Militia I belong to only has one member...myself.(Officially formed when I turned 18 years old)(Finally realized I am a one man well regulated militia as of 3-14-2009..thanks for getting me thinking!!) Therefore your argument over that wording has now been dismissed. (I have to say that regulating this militia has gone well because of it's low membership..)

The "well regulated militia" was wording that the general population was familiar with back then since many of them were "well regulated militia men" they showed up when needed to protect liberty and farmers, blacksmiths, or builders when liberty was safe and secure. But still well regulated one man militia's ready to answer liberty's call.

So I conclude that the individual can self "regulate" him/herself as a member of a one person "militia" they just need to "regulate" themselves "well." A example of poor self regulation that would nullify the second Amendment for the individual would be a individual that has committed a violent crime against the general public or persons.

There are many definitions of "Militia" this is the one that applies to the militia I belong to----

Definition of Militia---A private, non-government force, not necessarily directly supported or sanctioned by its government.

I'm private, a non government force and not supported or sanctioned by the government.

The individual is the "well regulated militia" membership 1......and therefore has the right to keep and bear arms.
 notregme
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 9:06:04 PM
Well I wouldnt say we have a gun problem up here in canada as much as you guys to the south.But we still have problems.Now my hole life Ive look at fire arms as tools(hunting stuff like that).I never think of personal protection when it comes to firearm.But I know how to use it if i needed too.

gun controll is funny because even if you ban them like your saying ,the bad guy doesnt care he still carrys.lol.

Im not aginest semi autos for the target range, but not for hunting.Bolt ,lever, pump,break barrel or single shooter is plenty good enough.

notregme
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2009 8:06:44 PM
I would love to try a .50 cal.lol.But I love the .22 for the how easy it is to use.Im hitting stuff and 300ft + with open sights. now thats fun.And I bought 525 rounds for like $20. cheap and easy.lol
 notregme
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2009 9:57:30 PM
your telling me you can pull the rigger on a .460 and not get a rise out of it?Up here in Canada we cant carry hand guns in puplic.I dont really feel the need in a small town of 78 or so to have a hand gun, but its spring and my .303 is on bear alert.lol. but even at that I dont feel threaten at all.I dont veiw rifles as wepons as much.There more like a really usefull tool.That makes you use skills .Now if your hunting do you take one bullet during hunting season and go ? No! you fire off a few (812) rounds to practice first.lol.

As for me being a nut job?I accedently shot all my imaginary friends,so now Im just happy go lucky.lol
 notregme
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2009 8:51:57 PM
Shoot a water jug! Or a penny at 100 ft,Shoot an old car.Pumpkin with slugs.Or the largesst caliber rifle you can handle then find one bigger for kicks.I dont use scopes on my .303 .Its open sights for me and when I hit something over 300ft it makes me happy to have the skill.Or try 20 beer bottle in a row, see how many you get threw.lol

Its about haveing fun and sharing that fun.If you ever accedently pull both trigers on a 12 gauge youll laugh after the shock stunnd feeling.lol
 my64bit
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/12/2009 4:53:17 AM
Love big bore rifles & handguns, just something about holding a thunder storm in your hands thats a rush, and the feel of the kick, the bigger the kick, the bigger the rush. I love to shoot, enjoy hunting. I have never had a gun accident, never shot anyone. Been around guns since I was a baby, my kids have been around them since they were babies, so far they are all fine, no psychotic issues or anything. Must have something to do with common sense and good teaching. Guns are no more dangerous than the people who own them. And dangerous people are not affected by the gun control laws, those only work for the good law abiding citizens. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will own guns. Take your kids shooting, they will love it.
 bigshrek
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/12/2009 8:43:28 AM
People sometimes forget that multi-barrelled weapons were quite functional during the American Revolution and before...the Duckfoot pistol comes immediately to mind...so do 3 & 4-barrel shotguns.

Later on came the LeMat revolver...a six-shooter with a center shotgun barrel.

And only the largest Country Boy could handle the 2 & 4 gauge shotguns...But they sure are FUN!!

My first giggle...was after firing the M-60 machine gun for the first time...bloody well gave me a Steel Woody!!
 steve217
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/12/2009 10:27:47 AM
I grew up on a pretty large farm in Kentucky, so grew up with a lot of firearm experience. And I get the giggle factor of being young, and seeing something
get splattered for the first time.
But after being a paratrooper for 11 years, and seeing what one can do to a human being... Well. The giggle factor should be taken out. It's not cool. It's not funny.
So have respect for your weapon when you handle it.
 Paul_L
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/12/2009 11:24:09 AM
Firearm license instructors here in Ontario warn students within the first 5 minutes of the course NEVER to point a firearm at anyone (loaded or unloaded.... because one can never be 100% sure if a firearm is loaded until they do their own check). It is seriously repeated to always point a firearm in a safe direction.

I have heard many stories also about how instructors have failed people right on the spot during a course who have disrespected that firearm commandment.

Just once in my life I would love to hold and fire a Dessert Eagle on a target line,
oh and a Barret 50 cal sniper rifle!
 Paul_L
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/13/2009 5:05:29 AM
See...... that's a situation that would make me giggle!
 english lass
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/13/2009 6:30:37 AM
in response to mav's post about crime being worse in england... i was amazed (being from england myself, originally) and looked up some more articles on the subject...i found several which contained reference to the type of crime and use of gun involved, here's one:

The Home Office has dimissed an American television report's claims that Britain is more violent than the US as a "simplistic comparison".

The TV report, which followed news of an apparent drug rape of an American teacher in London, described the streets and shopping centres of Britain as a "battleground" of crime.

CBS News called the UK one of the most violent urban societies in the western world, where people were more likely to be burgled, twice as likely to be robbed and two-and-a-half times more likely to be assaulted than in America.

Home Office Minister Charles Clarke
Charles Clarke: report is "absolute nonsense"
But the Home Office has hit back at the statistics, claiming that the average American is seven times more likely to be murdered than their British counterpart and 60 times more likely to be shot.

The row came as government sources confirmed a crime summit will be held at Downing Street next week at which Prime Minister Tony Blair will urge police to cut violence and disorder.

It is reported that chief constables from the Metropolitan, West Midlands, Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire forces will be given £20m to crack down on street crime.

'Trivialised comparisons'

Home Office Minister Charles Clarke dismissed the CBS News report as "absolute nonsense", saying the way offences were defined and collated varied from country to country.

He told the BBC's Newsnight programme: "Violent crime is a very serious issue and needs to be very seriously addressed, but I don't think it's helped by the trivialised comparisons the CBS engaged in."

Mayhem is on the way

CBS News
Home Office figures showed the murder rate in the US in 1998 was 6.3 per 100,000 people compared with 1.4 per 100,000 in England and Wales.

The murder rate in London is 2.9 per 100,000 compared with 8.6 per 100,000 in New York and 49.15 per 100,000 in Washington DC.

A report produced by the US Department of Justice in 1998 would appear to support the Home Office's claims.

It shows the murder rate was 5.7 times higher in the US than England and Wales and the rape rate was about three times higher.

The Big Apple
Figures show people are much more likely to get shot in New York than London
The report also showed firearms were used in 68% of murders in the US compared with 7% in England and Wales, and in 41% of robberies in America against 5% in England and Wales.

But the rates for assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft were all lower in America than in England and Wales.

to answer the op. the first time i remember firing a gun was at an army cadet open day, i enjoyed the experience because i got all the shots within the target first try - felt very proud of myself with all the fuss made, lol... i think i was about 14

and that was the last time i remember firing a 'real' gun

i've fired guns of sorts at carnivals in england - to knock coconuts off their shy's and in other games... and laser-tag is a blast...but i'm thinking that might not be *quite* the same thing...

AwP
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2009 2:27:21 PM
The town of Kennesaw in Georgia passed a law in 1982 that required the head of every household to own a gun. The crime rate and especially violent crime plummeted, not only that, but not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting since it passed. Here's an article that talks about it and an excerpt, the source seems a little biased, but if the statistics are accurate then they speak for themselves.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55288

In March 1982, 25 years ago, the small town of Kennesaw – responding to a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Ill. – unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun. Since then, despite dire predictions of "Wild West" showdowns and increased violence and accidents, not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting – as a victim, attacker or defender.

The crime rate initially plummeted for several years after the passage of the ordinance, with the 2005 per capita crime rate actually significantly lower than it was in 1981, the year before passage of the law.

Prior to enactment of the law, Kennesaw had a population of just 5,242 but a crime rate significantly higher (4,332 per 100,000) than the national average (3,899 per 100,000). The latest statistics available – for the year 2005 – show the rate at 2,027 per 100,000. Meanwhile, the population has skyrocketed to 28,189.
 notregme
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2009 7:40:07 PM
haha I do that with the 30-30 if you have a pocket on your shurt some shells end up in there.lol
 shmodzilla
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/14/2009 9:00:11 PM
Thats why the new digi's have the collars that go up and velcro, keeps the vest from wearing your neck raw,brass out and so on.
 FL CO
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 9:52:23 PM

He hadn't hit the dog, so he just chucked his gun at it--and broke it's neck. We all laughed so hard, it was a one in a million chance to hit just right, but now every time I hear the phrase, "guns don't kill people" I have to giggle.

The gun didn't kill anyone. It killed a dog
 JWG86
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/14/2009 10:18:54 PM
First time shooting: S&W 686 6" barrel .357 Magnum. My ears rang for the rest of the day, I was 4-5 years old. Dad held, I pulled the trigger. Didn't like the ears ringing, but enjoyed the experience.

Nastiest recoil I have endured: Toss-up between a snub-nose air-weight .357 firing some hot 125 gr jhps and my M4S90 firing 3" 1oz slugs at 1760fps. Both were attention-getting.

What I like about firearms: They are mechanical and take skill to properly use. To me, this just SCREAMS "HOBBY!", and it teaches responsibility, accountability, critical thinking (What's BEHIND my target, even beyond what I can immediately see?). It is also practical and can aid in self-defense, self-sustinance, etc.

Girl shooting: One of my X girlfriends liked my friend's G32 (357SIG, compact model), as well as AR's and my P226 9mm. Try as I may, I could not get her to shoot the .44.
 notregme
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2010 8:21:21 PM
Some good stories there.I like the dog one.lol.I bought a black powder rifle this year.Its a lyman great plains hunter.Its a .50 cal muzzelloader.boy there fun.you feel like a pioneer when you shoot it.lots of smoke and fire. I want to do a night musket video with it. lights up the feild.lol. I would love to see a nice lady in a summer dress blasting stuff with it.lol
 m14shooter
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 5:52:40 PM
You think a watermelon getting shot will make you laugh you should try shooting dynamite, it is a blast. I am very into guns, so much that if I thought they would be in jeopardy of me being in a relationship I would avoid the relationship. My first gun experience was with machine guns and silencers, I was reloading ammo and servicing my uncles minigun by 10. Don't know how many I own now but it is over 400 as that was the last count and I have added to it.

As for shooting big things try a .50bmg which is many times the power of the 460 with less kick or a 20mm rifle. A 50 will drop anything in its tracks. Got a few of each.
 m14shooter
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 5:56:51 PM

Shoot a water jug! Or a penny at 100 ft,Shoot an old car.Pumpkin with slugs.Or the largesst caliber rifle you can handle then find one bigger for kicks.I dont use scopes on my .303 .Its open sights for me and when I hit something over 300ft it makes me happy to have the skill.Or try 20 beer bottle in a row, see how many you get threw.lol

Its about haveing fun and sharing that fun.If you ever accedently pull both trigers on a 12 gauge youll laugh after the shock stunnd feeling.

Try a minigun on a car with about 10,000 rounds of ammo, talk about fun. A few minutes or so the 10,000 rounds is gone and so is the car.
 JWG86
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/22/2010 11:15:40 PM
Try a minigun on a car with about 10,000 rounds of ammo, talk about fun. A few minutes or so the 10,000 rounds is gone and so is the car.

...and so is your lunch money. 10,000 rounds of .308 is worth what now-days, $5K?

You're right though, hitting with irons is fun! I do like high-powered optics though. Probably one of my funnest toys is a CAR A3 Elite with a 3.5-10X 50mm Leupold VX III w/target turrets. I can get 1.25MOA out of the thing without trying even in less than ideal conditions. With even M855 it is a 2MOA rifle out to 200+ yards.
 TooShadows
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2010 8:23:53 AM
If you really want to try a challenge,pick up a muzzleloading rifle that shoots round balls and try some "novelty" events. This is where you try do such things as cutting strings,hitting matchsticks,splitting playing cards(placed so that the thin edge is toward you),or snuffing candles(without actually hitting the candle). These are all shot at a distance of 10-20 yards.

One that's a lot of fun and very challenging is the "split-the-ball" shoot. An axe head is placed with the cutting edge facing the shooter,and a clay pigeon is placed on each side. To win it the shooter must hit the cutting edge of the axe so that the lead ball is cut in two pieces and each clay pigeon is broken.

Another you can do with smokeless rifles as well is the "water can shoot". Take an aluminum pop can,cut the top off it,fill it with water,then place another empty can on top of it. There's 2 shooters,one with a rifle,one with a shotgun. The rifleman shoots the bottom can. The water is forced upwards blowing the top can into the air where the shotgun shooter tries to hit it. I've seen that can go a hundred feet up.

I've done all of these. I'm a top shot with a muzzleloading rifle and I regularly win events like this. On a good day,that is.
 raxarsr
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2010 1:52:53 PM
its a shame that the folks that dont shoot.....or worse.the ones who want to get rid of guns dont know the profound joy that comes with shooting....or the sense of accomplishment you get when you hit what you want.........forget killing for a moment............yes..guns kill............but thats not why we shoot

theres a lil kid still inside each one of us who likes to see things blow up..............fill a waterjug and hit it with a high power bullet........i doubt theres a person alive who wont be smileing after they hit it..........or frozen water ballons with a .22........finally hitting your first claybird................and dont even get me started about overripe watermelons and cantelopes
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Guns and the giggle factor?LOL