Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yna6
Msg: 35
First signs of SpringPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I've gotta see robins first before spring is anywhere near here! Otherwise, it's still winter.
 TooShadows
Msg: 36
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 9:16:55 AM
Well,the geese have arrived back in Manitoba. I heard on the radio this morning that people were seeing them,and sure enough when I went out for a bit four Canada Geese flew over. The heck with robins,geese mean spring to me.
 nightflight
Msg: 37
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 9:17:24 AM
we had a snowstorm yesterday
 anastazia1117
Msg: 38
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 1:07:27 PM
I saw a few geese in the local marsh yesterday making nests. They're also selling daffodils and tulips at the local markets. I can't wait for spring to be here 100%! I'm invoking spring today by wearing my capris to work! Ha.

I've lived in Wisconsin my entire life, so I know that we could very well get another 10" of snow in May, but I'm glad Mother Nature keeps giving us little "teaser" days like today (it's currently 58 degrees in Milwaukee... yay!!!). I still have my weather wrap on my windows though. I think I'll wait until the first full week of 50 degree weather before I take it off, just to be sure.

Supposed to be 67 degrees tomorrow... WOOT!!! It'll be a great day for a Guinness! Happy St. Patty's Day tomorrow, everyone! Awww... no green beer icon :(

-Carla
 junipermoon
Msg: 39
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 6:15:48 PM
we haven't had the onion snow yet. so we probably have quite a bit more winter in store.
 junipermoon
Msg: 41
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 6:30:08 PM
you generally get a light snow after planting onions.

it generally comes around the same time as the sapling-bender.

phillie probably doesn't grow many onions or saplings!
 sequoyah61
Msg: 44
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 6:56:04 PM
I've seen those chubby robins and some cardinals. The squirrels are playing everywhere! My daffodils are in full bloom as well as my forsythia. Most of the trees are beginning to bud, but the river birches are holding out a little longer. The rest of my shrubs (rose bushes, viburnum, purple leaf sand cherry, weigala, althea) are starting to bud also, and my lilies and irises have sprouted their greenery. My clematis is sending out new leaves and my peony has sent up new sprouts. Today it was 70 degrees with tomorrow promising middle 70s. However, there's a saying in Kansas: If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes. Later in the week, the highs will barely make it to the upper 40s. Go figure!

Ah, Spring! Yesterday I planted some marigold seeds saved from previous years and raked up winter's supply of my doggie-dos! Ah, dogs!

Sequoyah
 english lass
Msg: 46
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/16/2009 7:21:37 PM
yes, the canadian geese returning! lifted my spirits to see that...

snow melting - only the snowbanks remaining...

and of course, the chaps outside with tshirts on - it warmed up to 9 degrees today! .. gotta luv the hardy canadians ;)
 Rainie59
Msg: 48
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/17/2009 2:39:54 PM
After a foggy start today, the sun is finally out. Supposed to be in the 70s but I doubt we'll make it to that this late in the day. Looking forward to the weekend - sunshine, 80's, and the smell of spring in the air!!! And Texas finally got some much needed rain last weekend!!! The yard is looking really great!!
 ripley65
Msg: 51
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/20/2009 6:01:29 AM
Hey Mystic! Wow,,,,rummage sales for sure are a sign of spring!

Dont wanna burst your bubble, butttttttt,,,,i was out for break at work around 12:30am and it was snowinggggggg! lol Didnt last long tho ~ Yay! lol

My tulips have popped up, but arent blooming yet. Also seen a few of my Peonies poking out of the ground.
 nebula22
Msg: 52
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/20/2009 6:17:51 AM
I ran around all day yesterday with a friend until we found a 5 speed overdrive transmission for my Toyota Chinook camper.
I wouldn't put it on the road with the original 4 speed trans. because it over-revved the engine at highway speeds.
I have been wanting a 5 speed to put in it for 3 years.
Spring is here and it's getting warm enough to work outside doing something other than cutting firewood.
 ripley65
Msg: 58
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/22/2009 5:42:15 AM
Mystic...you know how us Michiganders are,,we love our rummage sales!

Supposed to be 51* today!! My neighbors already have their grill outside in their fav grillin spot! lolol
 TooShadows
Msg: 60
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/28/2009 6:54:02 AM
Well,so much for spring. Of course,big spring blizzards happen often here in Manitobea. We just had 6-10 inches of snow and back to below 0 temps. Now the melting has to start all over again. sure was a nasty surprise for the robins that had just arrived.
 sequoyah61
Msg: 62
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/28/2009 2:23:41 PM
Guess I posted too soon. Looking outside today - 4" of snow. Of course, Denver and other places really, really got dumped on.

C'est la vie!

Sequoyah
 junipermoon
Msg: 66
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/29/2009 5:14:21 AM
mud season has officially started here in happy valley. it will rain for weeks now and we'll have mud everywhere.

on the bright side, i went out in the woods yesterday, and the coltsfoot has started blooming. they call coltsfoot 'son before father' because the flower blooms before the leaves emerge.
 wizardofossington
Msg: 67
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/29/2009 8:15:21 AM
I can see my grass on my lawn which was covered with snow, and the mountain of snow that blocked my backyard is now gone.

IT'S SPRING AGAIN!!!!!!!!!
 867love
Msg: 68
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/29/2009 4:03:13 PM
hmmmm, maybe 85 degrees and sunny today...
lunch time: dyin for a whopper and rings at Burger king? -should i take the convertible (with the top down) or just walk there?

barbee1970
Msg: 70
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/29/2009 8:54:54 PM
Nope. It's almost April and still snowing in Illinois. Today was crazy as it snowed.
 MsMicki
Msg: 71
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 3/30/2009 7:45:03 AM
oh yes......Spring fever is in the air!
Lots of smiling yellow faces everywhere (daffodils)
My Blue Cornflowers are up.....tulips are up.......daylillies are up.......
lilac bushes and redbud trees are budding....
and the rivers and creeks are flooding!
and the 12 spot beetles (commonly referred to as lady bugs but they are orange)
are coming out of hibernation!
People out rolling their yards....cutting down last years ornamental grasses.....and tilling their gardens

Bring it on!

Snowed here in Indiana yesterday too.......but didn't stick .....thank goodness!
 MsMicki
Msg: 74
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 4/5/2009 7:25:52 AM

First signs of Spring

Riding mower wouldn't start!
Yep.........it's Spring!!
 MsMicki
Msg: 77
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 4/5/2009 2:25:58 PM

riding mower.....
i put dwarf grass in the front, when i can i will put that in the back too. i usually cut the front my one to others 3-4 times. :)

not sure how much you have to cut.......but even if I only had to mow once a month I wouldn't be attempting to push mow my whole yard.....when it takes me an hour and a half on a riding mower!!

right now mowing isn't an issue.......but I might need to break out my boat to get to my garage in the back yard!
 ripley65
Msg: 82
First signs of Spring
Posted: 5/1/2009 11:29:00 AM
Ahhhh *smiling* As i type this, my bedroom window is open and i can hear lawnmowers and what sounds like someones wood chipper (gotta love spring clean up! lol). The leaves on the tree's are blooming with color, my tulips are in full bloom, the spring flag on my porch is gently swaying in the light breeze, and the weather is justttttttt gorgeous!
 junipermoon
Msg: 83
view profile
History
First signs of Spring
Posted: 5/3/2009 5:04:00 AM
i hit a native plant festival yesterday and saw some beautiful indigenous varieties in bloom. i had to get some hepatica, virginia cowslip, cimicifuga racemosa (black cohosh), trillium and southern blue flag.

another spring tradition took place later in the day, and i watched 55-1 long shot mine that bird take the kentucky derby by over 6 lengths. over a sloppy track.

the past week brought some seasonal semi-residents, including a white-eyed vireo, a carolina wren, a red-bellied woodpecker, a few osprey and a kingfisher.

i do love spring in central pa, despite the mud.
 barbee1970
Msg: 85
First signs of Spring
Posted: 5/3/2009 1:33:33 PM
Our flowering trees out front are in full bloom. Little white petals everywhere look like snow.
 4realRU
Msg: 86
First signs of Spring
Posted: 5/3/2009 9:03:34 PM

sorry- talk to me when it is 10 below & then add in the wind chill
You make it sound as if I have never experienced such conditions when, if you had asked, you would know that I have. Not for many years mind you, but I remember them just the same.

With Spring comes new life, it can also maintain life thru death, Nature's way. A Carolina Wren recently built her nest in a flower pot that was just inches away from the small window next to my front door. I was in awe at how quickly the nest was built but once I saw it I started using my garage door as my entry/exit points for both me and my dog.

I had not seen Mama or Dad up to this point but a few days later there were six speckled eggs in place with Mama sitting there very frequently. Their incubation time is about two weeks and as each day passed I was getting more anxious at the thought of seeing new life being raised right before my eyes.

This last Sunday found me looking at an empty nest, not a shell fragment or feather to be found. While I have no proof, I'm fairly certain that a snake ended their days before they could even begin. I can only hope that Mama bird got away so that she and Dad could continue Nature's way.

With Spring comes new life, even at the cost of other lives.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >