Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Catholic vs. Protestant      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hungry_joe
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Catholic vs. ProtestantPage 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Orange or Green. Catholic Protestat. who Cares.

We could go back to Elizibeth the Frist to talk about Northern Ireland. We could go further back to the Dark ages about the roots of Christainity. Better yet we could go to the Brozne age to talk about the Bible. Yes, religion has been courpted by many people over the centuries. Not just Judism, Christianity or Islam. Budahism think Tokyo in the 90's and so on. There is a great book on this Terror in the Mind of God.

Humans are good at justifiy one thing, violence. The thing about religon all religion is that it trys to limit that violience. One can look at Aquanius's City of God which led to the chilvaric code. Or in the Qu'ran where it say's that if you do an atoms weight of evil it will be held against you. Again in the Qu'ran where it says that God hates violence for violence sake. My point it isn't religion that is the problem, it is those that pervert religion for there own evil ends that are the problem. Just for the record, I'm a practicing Catholic from the US. And to my Irish friends indeed we have a problem with violence. Not as bad a projected on to the world stage, but do our best to curb it.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/7/2009 6:30:36 PM
Roman Catholic is the common term for those that follow the Western Church of the Holy See, i.e the Europe and the Americas. Also known as the Latin Rite. There is also the Byzanitine Rite found in European countries East of Italy. Greece, Lithuaina come to mind. Both are ruled by the Holy Father (the Pope) but each has it own unique rites that have arisen form geographical differences. Check the Cathiecism of the Catholic Church English ed. 1996. Also what we Americans call Episcopalians (Church of England) also call themselves Catholics. Part of the Reason is when Henry the Eighth was not granted his divorce decree for Ann Bolin he delcared himself head of Church and state. Mind you that he had already been given the title "Defender of the Faith" by the Pope. So yes if you follow the Latin rite you are a Roman Catholic. I am a Roman Catholic and proud to say so. Oh the First and Second Vatican councils refer to the Latin Rite as the Roman rite.
 IRISHSMILER
Msg: 28
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/7/2009 9:36:06 PM
My family were raped and killed by the ****ing english**** that invaded my country!!!!!What do you expect us to do?War is everywhere.People like you just dont see it in the same way Irish people like me and the rest of the Irish do!Do some looking into Irish history and maybe then you`ll see why Catholics in Ireland kill!!!!We have no choice and it was brought upon the scumbag english that thought they could invade our little island!
 hungry_joe
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/9/2009 4:23:34 PM
And when they loose an eye it becomes hillarous. Malasam, too funny both here and your profile. So we can agree to be friends, have a few drinks, and tell loads of lies? Be of good cheer everyone.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/10/2009 2:24:18 PM
First the Vatican as a state within a state. Not really it is it's own state. Reduced significantly since Itally unified under Gesippie Gariabaldi.

Seccondly as I stated earlier, it isn't religion that causes people to kill, it is those that twist religion to convience others to kill. I've seen this first hand first with the Trade towers, then later with my tours against the Islamists. Humans are really good at one thing killing. Religion is a way for us to control are more animalistic instincts and appeal to our reason.

I still haven't heard one thing why either religion Catholism, or Reform Christianity is better. Reason, because in the final anyalis neither is superior. Both see Jesus, as part of a trinarian God that came appeared, in human form to cleanse us of orginal sin. It humors me when Protestants bash Catholism as non or less then Christian, because they all came from the mother church. They just modified some of the sacrements, or emphamised the Litergy, over the Eucharst and so on.

My American understanding of the Northern Ireland issue comes from the Calvianist Scottish, to help colonise, Ireland to prevent a Catholic uprising, that might lead to an overthrow of the Tutor dynansity. Nothing but problems ever since. Those that are loyal to the English crown and those that wish to see an independent state. However, I thought it was much better in Belfast and Ulster, since the Good Friday accords of the 1990's am I mistaken? Come on people it isn't 1916, relax and listen to each other and I think all will be better. Please excuse the misspellings in this post.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/13/2009 7:30:53 AM
malasam funny.

As being a American (of Irish decent) I would like to know more about the real problem on your island. I ask again about the Good Friday Accords. Seriously I thought things were better now.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/13/2009 9:59:08 AM
Aaaaahhhhhhhh please please please dont call yourself and American of Irish decent!!!! It bugs me when people do that, why do americans hold an Irish decent so highly? I think if you were to correctly address yourself it would be of Irish, Latvian, Russian, Itialan, Spanish and Zulu mixed decent, or something along those lines.........

Okay you're right a Heniz 57 bottle. Okay I have a Irish Surname. Still think you're funny
 hungry_joe
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/13/2009 10:44:21 AM
Zulu, you know us Americans so there is a chance ;) . As far as I know I am American, Canadain, Irish, German, Scottish, and we think maybe some Polish. As for my son, he has some Welsh, Finish, Japaneese....I don't know the rest of my ex-wife geneology.

Beans I slow cook mine, I don't get them out of a can.

I don't get the racist vibe at all. Not even a bigotted one. Again we Americans seem to be slow wited lol. I dig your scarcastic wit too. I don't know what tayto is, please enlighten me.

Wait I need to be hateful here. Catholics good Protestant bad. lol Let's not even begin to talk about them Muslims. lol
 hungry_joe
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:12:57 PM
Mickey give it a rest. The Holy See will not be conqured by mere words. If you'd devote half the time to working towards a solution as you do screaming bloody murder Ireland might get some reconcilation. It is Christian to Forgive is it not? I mean the second scarement is Reconcilation, now is the time for you to give some. You will feel better, and doing more of God's work. Peace be with you.
 qteepi
Msg: 35
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/17/2009 12:00:28 AM
To Pedro 1976

It amazes me that people all over the world don't see how frustrated most Americans have been through out the Bush administration. We had a landslide election voting Obama in and will spend how many years literally rebuilding our economy? When I listen to the RRR (Radical Right Republicans) like Rush and Cheney, their hateful closeminded attitudes, and all the lies they tell ... They remind me of all the radical parties around the world bent on having it their way at ANY cost. God Bless America for having the strength to make changes ... But God Bless the Peace Makers and I believe we have protected the innocent people in Iraq at a great cost to the families of soldiers who have died. Surely you as an Irishman and with your history have compassion for a country terrorized and it's only wish to feel safe. I know personally many soldiers over in Iraq. I hear a lot of things first hand. With the way things are in Iran, Afganistan and Korea and your country being closer to the mess than ours. Who will you want to come and be the Peace Maker? Are you willing to go? Are any of you?
 qteepi
Msg: 36
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/17/2009 10:42:03 AM
Using religion as a tool to gain power over or promote hatred and division between people will always be wrong. I agree with darkqael. It's identity and seperation I believe the Irish people are looking for.
 Ulster born
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/17/2009 11:07:30 AM
Most people in Ireland are decent people and are not planning on killing anyone. The few "bad apples" give everyone a bad name.

In Ireland's history, the people of the north (Ulster, and yes, not all of Ulster is in N. Ireland) have always been "at odds" with people of the south (i.e. the rest of Ireland in the other three provinces). One of the oldest stories, "The Cattle Raid of Cooley" involves (how can it be simplified?! ),... involves a major cattle raid instigated by Queen Maebh with the "friendly thighs" against the King of Ulster. She wanted his bull (just the bull -- no by products). Anyway, there are many stories within the "Cattle Raid of Cooley", and it shows that the Ulster Irish and the other Irish have since before written history been "at odds" with each other. If it's not for one reason, it'll be for another reason.

The "battle" is more like native vs not-so-native Irish. Native Irish are popularly considered to be Roman Catholic, whereas the new interlopers (the Vikings, Anglo-Normans, Scottish and English) are non-native and/or "Protestant". The boundaries aren't as clear as people would like them to be.

There are legions of books written about the "troubles" of the Emerald Isle recent and ancient, if you want to take the time to really try to understand. You could easily spend the rest of your life studying Ireland's history. To thoroughly respond, is far beyond the scope of any forum.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/17/2009 2:28:57 PM
And you know what, I'd like to see you recommend to survivors of the holocaust to forgive and forget or are you, like DaVinci and Floatsum, one of those who would deny the holocaust ever happened in the interests of 'peace'

Short answer is no. However, those of my generation should acknowledge the past, however, not hold the same the resentments of those directly involved. I mean the Germans of today had very little to do with the Nazi's. Minus those that lived durring that era.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/17/2009 2:37:46 PM
qteepi: Well as a fellow American. I don't blame a political party or a way of thinking, that is an oversimplification of the events and causality that got the US where it is. That said I have gone to Afganistan and Iraq. I also have aided in the training of PRT missions. There are NGO's from all over the world there. There are also, allied nations fighting with us in Afganistan.
 greyingred
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/18/2009 2:46:44 AM
English by birth, Irish mother, Scottish father. Catholic by upbringing in a Protestant country, humanitarian and free floating belief system by adult nature. When I was just 23 I worked for a political party and because I was a slack, leftie (if only they knew lol) hippy type I slept in on the day of the Party Conference and wasn't blown up by the IRA...somewhat ironic if you consider my bloodline and unknown but known about Irish cousins etc. I hold still to the view that everyone has a right to stand up for what they believe but violence though effective short term is useless for long term. Most Institutionalised Religions did, do still cause huge problems but in the end I think it is really just a smoke screen for Governments, Institutions, individuals who cannot take No, fear loss of power over mass thought and will not compromise. I know jack shit about the true history of Ireland so this is about as far as I can in all honour go. Am damned glad I slept in that day.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/19/2009 2:55:23 PM
Can we agree the Malasam is funny. And pretty to boot. If you're going to slander someone floatsum, then you should prove it. You brought it up therefore you should be able to defend your position. I am no huge fan of Big Mickey or Di Vincie Bro. They are entitled to their opinions, even if I think it is a bit silly.

Malasam try this story. I hope you like it.

In the beginning there was Nofear. One the first day he said that Catholics and Protestants can't get along. On the second day Big Mickey said blame the English for the woes of the world. On the third day Divincebro said no no you're wrong it is the Popes fault that the world is in the toliet. On the fourth day cam floatsum, that said that let's look at history for you are both wrong. On the fifth day came a confused American, that got into the mix, and began to pontificate. On the sixth day came a funny woman Marsam, that pointed and laughed at the ridiculousness of it all. On the Seventh day the thread finally ended.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/19/2009 6:41:15 PM
I can't understand why you don't like me already gadgetdoc, is it cos I is a man?

I don't dislike you. I'm sure if we're talking about something else we'd find agreement. I can see your points, but I don't agree with them whole heartedly. I don't date men, as I am sure you don't, but I'd share a beer with you, and defend your right to speak you mind with my life.

Cheers.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/19/2009 6:47:51 PM
Floatsum, I see, I think. Confused American again. So is it a he or a she, or an it? I don't speak Galiec therefore, it is as good to me as Martian.

If it is a she, I would suggest that she not try so hard. People tend to like the real person. And if a she, why not post as a she and post a picture? My poor head is spinning.

Thanks for defending your position. That is all I ever ask, of anyone.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/20/2009 7:28:37 AM
Runs to the Swiss.

I try to be honest in my dealings with all people. Well Big Mikey, if you are female that is what I favor.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/21/2009 6:23:11 PM
So you are a girl. Good then. Since you're a girl I could be a very bad boy with you.
 luvsdeeply2
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/21/2009 9:33:20 PM
I have been reading the posts on here and I would like to have a say...I am an American of Irish decent...I have been told the stories of the ra and what happend in history...but I must say please dont listen to everything you hear on the news about Americans being all that violent to eachother...I do belive that every country has their problems...but most Americans are kind and loving people that would do anythig to help their neighbor weather they live next door or the next street or the next country.

We are not happy as a people about what is happening in Iraq or Iran or Afganistan we too want peace and love in our country and in the world
 hungry_joe
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/22/2009 3:32:44 PM
I'd choose Malsam too. Big Mickey, You can assume that you're better then me. It doesn't bother me. I know what my accompishments are. Learn rethtoric, and you and I can talk like adults.
 murphy717
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/28/2009 2:24:55 PM
Not all of us carry guns in America. Like the rest of the world, there are always those bad apples in every town, village, country. Should it matter if your Catholic or Protestant, Irish or American, aren't we all the same inside? Maybe not.
 Luthion
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 7/22/2009 7:08:36 AM

Should it matter if your Catholic or Protestant, Irish or American, aren't we all the same inside?

Truest thing ever said.

Unfortunately, many don't believe it, as should be obvious from this thread.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 8/1/2009 7:23:02 PM
^^^^I think someone is agruing with themselves. It could be entertaining.
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Catholic vs. Protestant