Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Catholic vs. Protestant      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hungry_joe
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Catholic vs. ProtestantPage 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Zulu, you know us Americans so there is a chance ;) . As far as I know I am American, Canadain, Irish, German, Scottish, and we think maybe some Polish. As for my son, he has some Welsh, Finish, Japaneese....I don't know the rest of my ex-wife geneology.

Beans I slow cook mine, I don't get them out of a can.

I don't get the racist vibe at all. Not even a bigotted one. Again we Americans seem to be slow wited lol. I dig your scarcastic wit too. I don't know what tayto is, please enlighten me.

Wait I need to be hateful here. Catholics good Protestant bad. lol Let's not even begin to talk about them Muslims. lol
 floatsum
Msg: 102
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/15/2009 9:55:25 AM
Good post DVB Its so easy to blame the English for anything we want to blame them for but those that blame never really know what they are talking about, hate filled twats and thats exactly what causes the hatred between different religions.
To me it doesnt matter what religion someone is as long as they believe in something, religion isnt important. Faith is.
 darkgael
Msg: 103
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/16/2009 5:20:42 PM
Awwww what a Sectarian Heading !!!!!
The Troubles in Northern Ireland are not about Religion but Identity !!!!!
There were Protestants in the IRA
Catholics in the UVF, UDR, RUC and British Army !!!!!
Sadly religion is used as a flag of convenience !!!!
As by the extremist Moslems and Right wing racist born againers !!!
Most wars are about Power and Money
A great way of oppressing the poor masses and taking their minds off of the rich rulers who are in it all together!!!!
Sad conversation this !!!!! But I had to comment !!!!!
 hungry_joe
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:12:57 PM
Mickey give it a rest. The Holy See will not be conqured by mere words. If you'd devote half the time to working towards a solution as you do screaming bloody murder Ireland might get some reconcilation. It is Christian to Forgive is it not? I mean the second scarement is Reconcilation, now is the time for you to give some. You will feel better, and doing more of God's work. Peace be with you.
 qteepi
Msg: 105
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/17/2009 12:00:28 AM
To Pedro 1976

It amazes me that people all over the world don't see how frustrated most Americans have been through out the Bush administration. We had a landslide election voting Obama in and will spend how many years literally rebuilding our economy? When I listen to the RRR (Radical Right Republicans) like Rush and Cheney, their hateful closeminded attitudes, and all the lies they tell ... They remind me of all the radical parties around the world bent on having it their way at ANY cost. God Bless America for having the strength to make changes ... But God Bless the Peace Makers and I believe we have protected the innocent people in Iraq at a great cost to the families of soldiers who have died. Surely you as an Irishman and with your history have compassion for a country terrorized and it's only wish to feel safe. I know personally many soldiers over in Iraq. I hear a lot of things first hand. With the way things are in Iran, Afganistan and Korea and your country being closer to the mess than ours. Who will you want to come and be the Peace Maker? Are you willing to go? Are any of you?
 darkgael
Msg: 106
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/17/2009 9:12:36 AM
Awwww who were the Irish fighting for as mercenaries ???
THE ENGLISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Troubles in Ireland are not religious

But one of IDENTITY

Sadly the Irish are stereotypically categorised as Catholics
Not all Proud Irishman are Catholic
The 1st President of Ireland was Protestant
The founders of Irish Republicanism ...
Wolfe Tone
Robert Emmet
Henry Joy McCracken
etc etc
were all Irish Republicans and proud to be Protestants

In the recent troubles
there were Protestant members of the IRA
Catholic members of Loyalist deathsquada and the British Army

So it is not Catholic v Protestant

Sure we all belive or not in the same God
Just happen to worship him in differing ways as do the Moslems and Jews !!!
 qteepi
Msg: 107
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/17/2009 10:42:03 AM
Using religion as a tool to gain power over or promote hatred and division between people will always be wrong. I agree with darkqael. It's identity and seperation I believe the Irish people are looking for.
 Ulster born
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/17/2009 11:07:30 AM
Most people in Ireland are decent people and are not planning on killing anyone. The few "bad apples" give everyone a bad name.

In Ireland's history, the people of the north (Ulster, and yes, not all of Ulster is in N. Ireland) have always been "at odds" with people of the south (i.e. the rest of Ireland in the other three provinces). One of the oldest stories, "The Cattle Raid of Cooley" involves (how can it be simplified?! ),... involves a major cattle raid instigated by Queen Maebh with the "friendly thighs" against the King of Ulster. She wanted his bull (just the bull -- no by products). Anyway, there are many stories within the "Cattle Raid of Cooley", and it shows that the Ulster Irish and the other Irish have since before written history been "at odds" with each other. If it's not for one reason, it'll be for another reason.

The "battle" is more like native vs not-so-native Irish. Native Irish are popularly considered to be Roman Catholic, whereas the new interlopers (the Vikings, Anglo-Normans, Scottish and English) are non-native and/or "Protestant". The boundaries aren't as clear as people would like them to be.

There are legions of books written about the "troubles" of the Emerald Isle recent and ancient, if you want to take the time to really try to understand. You could easily spend the rest of your life studying Ireland's history. To thoroughly respond, is far beyond the scope of any forum.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/17/2009 2:28:57 PM
And you know what, I'd like to see you recommend to survivors of the holocaust to forgive and forget or are you, like DaVinci and Floatsum, one of those who would deny the holocaust ever happened in the interests of 'peace'

Short answer is no. However, those of my generation should acknowledge the past, however, not hold the same the resentments of those directly involved. I mean the Germans of today had very little to do with the Nazi's. Minus those that lived durring that era.
 floatsum
Msg: 110
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/17/2009 2:31:05 PM
Damn good post gadetdoc and nicely summed up.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/17/2009 2:37:46 PM
qteepi: Well as a fellow American. I don't blame a political party or a way of thinking, that is an oversimplification of the events and causality that got the US where it is. That said I have gone to Afganistan and Iraq. I also have aided in the training of PRT missions. There are NGO's from all over the world there. There are also, allied nations fighting with us in Afganistan.
 greyingred
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/18/2009 2:46:44 AM
English by birth, Irish mother, Scottish father. Catholic by upbringing in a Protestant country, humanitarian and free floating belief system by adult nature. When I was just 23 I worked for a political party and because I was a slack, leftie (if only they knew lol) hippy type I slept in on the day of the Party Conference and wasn't blown up by the IRA...somewhat ironic if you consider my bloodline and unknown but known about Irish cousins etc. I hold still to the view that everyone has a right to stand up for what they believe but violence though effective short term is useless for long term. Most Institutionalised Religions did, do still cause huge problems but in the end I think it is really just a smoke screen for Governments, Institutions, individuals who cannot take No, fear loss of power over mass thought and will not compromise. I know jack shit about the true history of Ireland so this is about as far as I can in all honour go. Am damned glad I slept in that day.
 MalaSam
Msg: 113
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/19/2009 8:36:20 AM
Ok, I have re-read this thread 7 times now and Im still totally and utterly confused, I cant for the life of me understand half the posts, and more importantly I cant get to grips with who agrees with who?

Can somebody (hem hem BigMickey) write a simple story version for me?

Something along the lings of.........one upon a time there were these 3 guys Mr. Bigmick, floatsum and Divicibro, and they all had a chat about God.
 floatsum
Msg: 114
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/19/2009 10:25:05 AM
Isnt it obvious? grudy (big mickey) is trying to start another flame war!
3 guys
is grudy really a guy?
 MalaSam
Msg: 115
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/19/2009 10:53:48 AM
Are you serious? You think BigMickey and Grundy are the same person? You said Happy and Sidena were the one too............why? Why do you think that, I need proof.......Im suprised you havet accused me of being someone else.

Is it the sentence structure.......or tone......or launguage, what makes you think that? I think your wrong, but Im open to be convinced if you give me proof. Could it be that you just wont accept that people have different views to you, so you tar them with double profiles? Surely if that were the case the moderators would have deleted their accounts?
 floatsum
Msg: 116
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/19/2009 10:58:12 AM
Why would I be bothered with convincing you of anything? Proof? Is this a court house? Sorry malasam but I couldnt be bothered in proving anything to anyone.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/19/2009 2:55:23 PM
Can we agree the Malasam is funny. And pretty to boot. If you're going to slander someone floatsum, then you should prove it. You brought it up therefore you should be able to defend your position. I am no huge fan of Big Mickey or Di Vincie Bro. They are entitled to their opinions, even if I think it is a bit silly.

Malasam try this story. I hope you like it.

In the beginning there was Nofear. One the first day he said that Catholics and Protestants can't get along. On the second day Big Mickey said blame the English for the woes of the world. On the third day Divincebro said no no you're wrong it is the Popes fault that the world is in the toliet. On the fourth day cam floatsum, that said that let's look at history for you are both wrong. On the fifth day came a confused American, that got into the mix, and began to pontificate. On the sixth day came a funny woman Marsam, that pointed and laughed at the ridiculousness of it all. On the Seventh day the thread finally ended.
 floatsum
Msg: 118
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/19/2009 6:12:34 PM
ok gadgetdoc, as you dont know the history I'll offer some proof.
msg 163 floatsum

Sorry malasam but not everything is about you, I was referring to si-denada who later opened a new profile under the user name of happy(somethingorother). Remember her and her little possie that liked to slam everything and everyone that is foreign?
She posted in a very similar manner to Big Mickey.
msg 165 big mickey

I've just had a read of the poster Floatsum mentioned's posting history and made note of where she is situated too. I think if anybody takes the time to read her posting history they'll discover what Floatsum says about her to be untrue, she doesn't come across as hateful at all, in fact she seems fun. I'd mail her if I lived closer.

This does look like si-denada more so than grudy tbh, could I be mistaken?
Now have a look at the thread Doyles Night out November 2008, both women are there together ie friends, so I thought grudy was standing up for her friend but is big mickey really si-denada under yet another profile? Thats it, isnt it?
si-denada has a deep seeded hatred of the English where as grudy just flys of the handle from time to time
Is that the mystery solved? si-denada is back posting as a gay man msg 197 big mickey
I can't understand why you don't like me already gadgetdoc, is it cos I is a man? you do look like one si-denada
Now take a look at the thread So many views msg 21 by big mickey

You'll find that on a forum most posters are not who they try so hard to appear to be.

I've discovered a woman who has three profiles..that's three alter egos!! one is her sister who she hates with a passion, one is 'herself' and the other is a dope who writes on the forums to back up everything either of them post.

She really speaking about herself. gadgetdoc this woman has no real opinion, shes a troll that had profiles deleted by admin because she is not fit to date!
 hungry_joe
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/19/2009 6:41:15 PM
I can't understand why you don't like me already gadgetdoc, is it cos I is a man?

I don't dislike you. I'm sure if we're talking about something else we'd find agreement. I can see your points, but I don't agree with them whole heartedly. I don't date men, as I am sure you don't, but I'd share a beer with you, and defend your right to speak you mind with my life.

Cheers.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/19/2009 6:47:51 PM
Floatsum, I see, I think. Confused American again. So is it a he or a she, or an it? I don't speak Galiec therefore, it is as good to me as Martian.

If it is a she, I would suggest that she not try so hard. People tend to like the real person. And if a she, why not post as a she and post a picture? My poor head is spinning.

Thanks for defending your position. That is all I ever ask, of anyone.
 floatsum
Msg: 121
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/19/2009 6:56:39 PM
He, she or it? I have no idea, technically I suspect its a she but what I do know it will always try to start fights, twist what you say, speak poorly about anyone who's not Irish and take whatever she can out of context. As I said a troll.
 floatsum
Msg: 122
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/20/2009 12:17:02 AM
As you well know from being barred previously big mickey the mods will spot you as soon as you report anyone and bar you again so please do report me, I publicly accuse you of being a troll and si-denada and probably a lot more profiles too. Get a life.
Anyone else in here think si-denada actually is a man?
 hungry_joe
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/20/2009 7:28:37 AM
Runs to the Swiss.

I try to be honest in my dealings with all people. Well Big Mikey, if you are female that is what I favor.
 MalaSam
Msg: 124
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/21/2009 1:46:06 AM
BigMikey.....your a lady? Oh dear, all my fantasies of you and your 'big Mickey' have been thrown to waste.

Or perhaps your name sake is what your looking for........an man with a nice big mickey, or maybe your name is micheal and your a big country farmer kindda man???
 hungry_joe
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Catholic vs. Protestant
Posted: 6/21/2009 6:23:11 PM
So you are a girl. Good then. Since you're a girl I could be a very bad boy with you.
Show ALL Forums  > Ireland  > Catholic vs. Protestant