Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nebula22
Msg: 2
How stupid have we become?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The next thing on their list could be glasses.
People might poke themselves in the eye with the arms while putting them on.

Maybe they will get rid of fishing hooks so we don't stick ourselves while fishing.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 6
How stupid have we become?
Posted: 3/14/2009 7:27:11 AM
I did the same search an found the story about the 27 child deaths...

OP didnt you do a search..How smart was that.
 TooShadows
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 9:37:43 AM
I can see the problems with drawstrings. For those of us who frequently wear clothing with drawstrings,how often do we consider wear the drawstring is hanging? I've had hoodies that I've had to shorten the drawstrings on because they were too long and I tend not to tie them.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/14/2009 10:15:01 AM

The hazard is that people wearing this shirt "might choke themselves" with the drawstring.

apparently OP changed children to People...Unless OP can cite where the news releases say People.

and think of a maunfaturer that being sued for wrongful death of a child, I dont think the company is gonna want drawstrings on any of their line of hoodies. Other companies will follow suit for fear of lawsuits, so Hoodies with draw strings will be a thing of the past.
 daynadaze
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 1:52:38 PM
Well it would seem, too stupid to do the research and find out instead of venting online.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/14/2009 4:51:38 PM
How about prohibiting talking on cell phones but allowing texting and game playing while driving.
Heluuuurrrre.
 Yankee_Girl
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 7:31:05 PM
My child was injured when the drawstring on his hoody got caught as he was getting off the school bus. He was in kindergarten at the time.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/14/2009 8:23:17 PM
The answer is as close as the yellow pages OP. The thickest section, at least where I live is lawyers. Because it's NEVER O U R fault. At least for most Americans. It's ALWAYS someone elses' fault. Not a day goes by in my city where I do not hear on the radio or see on TV at least 2 or 3 lawyer ads. It is only going to get worse I am afraid...

I mean ... gee, why bother to read a Warning Label when there is a lawyer on every corner?
 normaldude
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 8:50:50 PM
watch tv.... every other ad is for a lawyer begging to sue someone .......must be a lot of lawyers with nothing to do. your stupidity can make you cash!
 MrTwistedPersonality
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2009 12:33:43 PM
This story reminds me of the chainsaw manual that (if I recall correctly) quadrupled in size due to safety warnings after being translated from Korean to English, and had such warnings as "Do not attempt to stop blade with hands, feet, appendages, teeth, or genitals." I haven't found it on Snopes as true or false, but supposedly somebody did so with the last item listed and tried to sue the company, who in the end lost because that warning was in their manual.

And while it is slightly off-topic, it still is close enough for us who learned the following in grade-school to more or less bruise our foreheads by us repeatedly slapping said forehead with our hand.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090312115133.htm
 Revilors
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/1/2009 1:02:08 AM
all based on how stupid the bottum few percent of us are.

Just a reminder...in case the print on the packets of dessicants found in electronic packaging etc... wears off. Apparently...it's not eatible.

And rat poison...may be harmful or fatal is swallowed.
 FL CO
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2009 8:16:44 AM
But to answer your question about how stupid we have become, it depends on how much smarter than other people you need to feel. The greater the need the more stupid the rest of us will seem

Thats not true at all. It has nothing to do with people having the need to feel smarter. Plain old common sense isn't very common anymore. When you have to have warning labels on coffee cups to tell you that its hot, or labels on plastic bags tell you not to put it over you're head you know people aren't as smart as past generations
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2009 10:46:33 AM
The front doors on my van have bright yellow labels warning not to hit yourself in the head when closing the door.
Email me for a picture if you don't believe me, I kid you not...
 geeleebee
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/1/2009 10:49:00 AM

Basic eduation focuses on feelings of self-esteem in the student instead of whether the kid has actually learned anything.

I work in a public high school--one of the kids with whom I work has all the requirements for failure: mother committed suicide almost a year ago, father has a new girlfriend, they move every few months because they can't pay the rent.

This boy lives under a hat that is pulled down over his eyes--he has to look up in order to make eye contact--if he ever does. He has a difficult time paying attention during class, doesn't always understand what he's heard from the teachers, and often asks what the assignment is after the teacher has repeated instructions.

Where do you think his self-esteem is right now?
He isn't being given special academic favors because of his life circumstances--he is expected to do the work--in fact, he failed a class last quarter because he didn't do the work.

Teachers where I work do not simply move a student to the next level. This boy will have to make up the class he failed if he wants to graduate on time--if he is able to stay in school, that is.

This particular kid has started coming to find me during the day--his teacher all0ws that. We chat for a few minutes--nothing heavy-duty, just chat--but it helps him get clear, get a little encouragement, and then he goes back to class. If this helps him stay in school then that is one more kid off the street, right?

Self-esteem is worth it.
 geeleebee
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/1/2009 11:22:28 AM
No strawman.

If a kid has real-world issues, where is the incentive to learn about WWII? Read Shakespeare? Figure out what 'x' equals? You can put him in a classroom, but you can't force him to learn.

How does one achieve without internal motivation? Self-esteem is absolutely tied to achievement.

Who gives out medals for no reason? We have academic awards ceremonies at my school--kids have to make major grades to earn those awards. They aren't given out for good behavior--they are awarded for academic achievement.

Poor self-esteem is a hindrance to most successes. It's what makes the difference between choosing to do homework or play video games--self-esteem is the difference between shoplifting and doing a cluminating project.

I don't know about the school you are familiar with, but at mine good self-esteem is nurtured and success is earned.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2009 12:04:56 PM
The plastic bag thing I understand; kids will play with anything adults leave around, and not every new parent comes pre-programmed with child-rearing instructions. Each new generation of parents must be educated, often from scratch, as they often didn't learn these things growing up.

But good grief, hitting yourself in the head with a van door? You would have to be at least 12 years old to be tall enough to do that- and in the first 12 years, one would think a person would have learned a few commonsense things, like "don't smack yourself in the head-"
 geeleebee
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/1/2009 12:08:43 PM

Worse though is that people should feel good about their academic achievements despite having not demonstrated satisfactory proficiency in any given subject. That right there is precisely the flaw in how we approach self-esteem in the classroom. It's NOT okay when the kid fails and saying anything less is a disservice to the child in question.

Again, where I work teachers don't have the luxury of simply passing a student to the next grade without said student proving his/her ability to be there. Students have to demonstrate proficiency in order to be sent to the next level. If a child fails a required class at the high school level, those credits must be made up in order to graduate.

And, failure can be a great teacher. There is value in learning what doesn't work. I don't believe that I've said it's
okay when the kid fails and saying anything less is a disservice to the child in question...

I am not talking about making a kid 'feel good about himself', I am talking about helping a child discover the student within himself. I've been a part of that process--I've seen it work.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/1/2009 5:24:25 PM
If everybody died while sleeping in their bed, the government would make laws that would require people to sleep standing up.
 Rey McQueen
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2009 11:48:38 AM
Plastic bags, drop cloths.. Those were used as teaching aids when I was in school. The teacher would divvy the class into groups, each group got either a p[lastic bag or drop cloth, and were encouraged to play with it for at least ten minutes. Sometimes the exercise would run longer because people would be really having fun... At the end of the time period, we would then have some specific writing assignment...

Now, if a teacher were to do something like that TODAY, they would probably get fired for endangering the students.

It is not that we are getting stupid, it is more that we are surrendering our freedoms to protect ourselves from our RESPONSIBILITY to ourselves.
 r_zakas
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/3/2009 7:42:16 AM
I have a statement .... All of us are stupid, but the bottom 49% are dumber than most !!
 komodo
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2009 11:47:35 AM
Nothing surprises me anymore. Just look at the number of liability law suits that companies have to deal with every year. Good example; the woman who burned herself on McDonald's Coffee. To her surprise she bought hot coffee and it was hot. She filed suit because she bunt herself by holding it between her knees while she drove (apparently her car didn't have a coffee cup holder).
 normaldude
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2009 12:09:22 PM
the reason there are so many retarded law suits is they win a percentage.... didnt the mcdonalds coffee burnt lady win her suit??? she should have been laughed out of court and had to pay for the judges time. Common sense should be the ultimate judge on the really stupid stuff but not anymore! we have lawyers who work on spec of getting a cut!!!
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2009 4:21:30 PM
People have always been stupid. It's just that we're a more litigious society than in the past.

That being said, the manufacturer would not have issued a recall if there had not been incidents of the drawstring being a problem. Not having seen the shirt in question, I would not assume that it was of a traditional design - there could indeed have been a design flaw.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/9/2009 2:17:49 AM

The people that might choke themselves with that drawstring........they need to die.

If you had read the first posts, you would have learned that 27 children did die, and the recall was for childrens hoodies...but I guess kids gotta die too.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >