Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Ever meet someone from a site without seeing a picture first?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 12
Ever meet someone from a site without seeing a picture first?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

We're going to the movies tomorrow night and we'll see what happens.

Well, scratch that one, she actually had dinner with her ex-boyfriend last night and decided to get back together with him! I don't exactly know which mirror I cracked along the way, but this is the third woman who decided she wasn't over the ex, amongst the various ones who were too busy with their careers, hobbies etc to actually date.
 saggy ass and saggy tits
Msg: 13
Ever meet someone from a site without seeing a picture first?
Posted: 3/25/2009 7:05:25 AM
there is one simple reason i would not do it...
im not going to go anywhere and try guessing is that the person or that one.
im not a child anymore.
plus you put your self in a position where they would know who they are meeting , you get there , they look at you decide they dont like what they see and just go.
sorry ,but im beyond that and i refuse to play that game.
 BlueEyedAriesGuy
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/16/2010 10:24:05 AM
I met someone that DID have a pic, and it was still a disaster. She was really nice looking and pretty in the pic. She was 24 but the pic looked like a high school graduation pic. Something seemed off about that, but I dismissed the feeling. After all, people can have older pics up and still look fine. We talked on the phone throughout the week and then made plans to meet up on the weekend. It was after dark when she pulled up to pick me up, but I noticed from a distance that her hair had gotten quite a bit longer. Nice, I thought. I got in the car, put my seatbelt on and looked over at her. I think I didn't just do a double take, but a triple take.

I was looking at a mountain of a woman; a gigantic slab of flesh. I don't mean "a few extra pounds." I mean about 100 pounds difference from the pic. I was 210 or so at the time and she was easily 300. She asked me what I thought and I replied that it seemed like she'd gained weight since her picture was taken. She told me yes, that's what happens when you have 2 kids. I was almost certain that she told me she had eaten her kids. I was really freaked out. Not just because of the weight, but because she had never mentioned the huge difference between the pic she sent me and her appearance now.

She asked if I still wanted to go with her, and said it would be okay if I wanted to go home. I got out of the car, went home, went into my room and shut the door. It was a horrible experience and I was pretty disturbed by it. It was the same thing as if she had no picture and told me she was 5'6, 150. Or said she had long blonde hair and showed up bald. Or said she was divorced and ended up being recently separated. People expect to be told the truth and expect what the other person says to be the case when they meet. When it turns out they weren't, it's a feeling of betrayal. I've heard other people's stories of meeting people that had not told the truth about their looks and other things. They're entertaining to hear because it's so crazy how far off people make themselves out to be. Plus I feel that I can laugh as well as sympathize.

As far as meeting someone without a picture, I think I've done it once or twice, but for a long time now I've stuck to picture only. Because even then, that's just one aspect of the person and there's still a lot more to learn. They can be totally hot but that doesn't mean there will be chemistry or an attraction. I can understand women being frustrated over 300 emails a day because they're very attractive and wanting to filter people out. I personally won't contact someone *just* because she's good looking; I'm looking for a little more of a connection and compatibility than that, but I know how guys are. I can only imagine what it must be like to be female and have to deal with tons of guys coming at you all the time. I'd go crazy. Then again, I won't even read someone's page without a picture. I want to know what I'm getting into, starting with looks. Obviously I want to be attracted to many more things about them than that, but physical chemistry is high on the list.

To the people that have met without a picture and had things go well, all I can say is, you're lucky. Even with a picture and a great profile, things can go many different ways depending on the 2 people getting together. One person I met sticks out in my mind, and she did have a pic. But still, you never know. Once we met and I saw her in person for the first time, I was relieved. I told her that later on, and she asked what my first impression was of her. I told that I thought, *whew* she's cute!
 TooShadows
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2010 2:30:48 PM
Before I got online I used to meet women through various telephone chat lines. There was almost no way to see a picture of someone before I met them,so it was a major leap of faith. I must admit though,that there were almost no disappointments. The majority of the ladies were very honest about their appearance,and in fact a few times the woman said she was "average" looking and she turned out to be quite a knockout.
 RobertKoi
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/17/2010 4:19:10 PM
"Ever meet someone from a site without seeing a picture first?"
----------------
Yes I have. You can either date someone without asking anything. Or, you can ask questions and form a conclusion. If it's obvious that she's too much of this, too little of that or whatever, then it's up to you. I hate to say this but people who are "ugly" (whatever that is) often say "it's the inside the counts" and they also bash down on people who exercise and stuff like that. So if you add up everything that they've said it really shouldn't be that difficult to find out that you're chatting with a couch potato.
 briargate
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/17/2010 4:45:48 PM
While I agree that one shouldn't judge each other too harshly on their photos, it is relatively easy to take at least one good one. Oh, and if you are female and too attractive, just make your photo all fuzzy and out of focus. Ha.

I met someone once after having seen bad photos and really, it was difficult recognizing them in the first place. So how do you anonymous people meet? Do you wear a yellow flower in your button hole?
 m14shooter
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2010 6:38:47 PM
Back before the internet we actually met without even seeing the other person. I met many women like this and had several great relationships. Now it is all about the picture and a lot of people are written off without a chance.
 TedJMill
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2010 6:42:15 PM
Frequently. Half the women I've dated for a while were ones without a picture.
 onefishwilldo
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/18/2010 5:22:43 PM
You are the luckiest fish on POF.

When I first poin POF, I did communicate with men without photos and on d they email the pictures to me....I was speechless and no communication after that.
 MakeYouSmile26
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2010 2:43:15 PM
I have done it she turned out to be 17 :( when I was 25
 4408joseph
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 1:47:45 PM

Um...er...YES. I believe many of times.

Now, they swear up and down that their POF picture REALLY is them, but I tell ya..

If they came in the mini-mart where I was paying for my gas, did an unmasked/tight fitting outfit armed-robbery, had me drive the get-away car at gun point, took me to a warehouse where they kept me tied up for a week before releasing me. I sure the he11 wouldn't be able to pick them out of a 3 photo police picture line-up using their profile pics, even if the other two were Men!

TedJMill
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2010 6:11:55 AM
Looks don't really matter to me; I've often met women without seeing a picture first. The two women I most recently dated for a while were both on sites without having a picture.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Ever meet someone from a site without seeing a picture first?