Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 easterparadehat
Msg: 91
Are Looks so important???Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Actually there are quite a few women of all ages sporting hair shoulder length or shorter and look great. The oldest famous woman that looks 500 x better in a pixie cut who isn't Hollywood is Cindy McCain (John McCain's wife). Hallie Berry is one who looks fine as well as a few other actresses who are actually in their early 30s or younger. Again you can have a variety of short feminine cuts that aren't 2" from your head and not all females have "butch" or "butter" faces and need that extra hair to make our identity.
 ladyc4
Msg: 92
Are Looks so important???
Posted: 5/21/2014 8:01:05 AM
What's important about "looks" is that the 2 people in the romance/dating/LTR/marriage/whatever, like each others looks.

Granted, our culture has created certain "standards" as exemplified by cetain entertainment, athletic and "celebrity"
figures. But lots and lots of perfectly average,ordinary and even unconventional looking people do manage to find someone to pair up with. Lots of couples stick together even through changes in one anothers' apearances.

Otherwise, if only "movie star" looks rated a pair-bond relationship, there would be one hell of a lot of single people, or people dumped because their looks changed.
Cindy O
 Maleman999
Msg: 93
Posted: 5/21/2014 9:31:07 AM
I have never heard of someone saying to another person: "You are so ugly, I want to have sex and a relationship with you."
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 94
Posted: 5/21/2014 9:50:57 AM

Actually there are quite a few women of all ages sporting hair shoulder length or shorter and look great. The oldest famous woman that looks 500 x better in a pixie cut who isn't Hollywood is Cindy McCain (John McCain's wife). Hallie Berry is one who looks fine as well as a few other actresses who are actually in their early 30s or younger. Again you can have a variety of short feminine cuts that aren't 2" from your head and not all females have "butch" or "butter" faces and need that extra hair to make our identity.

Very attractive women with short hair, such as Hallie Berry, are attractive despite their hair length---not because of their hair length. Cindy McCain had long hair when John McCain first started dating her. He must have liked what he’d seen---interestingly, she has the tan and bleached hair you spoke against in an earlier post. Using her as an example only serves to weaken your argument concerning what men find attractive.

Just out of curiosity, I looked back through several pages of profile reviews of people that complained about not getting enough responses. Predictably, there were much fewer women than men asking for profile reviews. Most of the women complaining about the lack of quality responses had at least two unattractive physical features (at least by conventional standards of beauty). Of those women, many of them had a bad haircut, usually shorter than shoulder-length, that did absolutely nothing for their age, face shape, or body type.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 95
Posted: 5/21/2014 10:38:26 AM

When you are 40 and older, shorter hair, no matter what it's thickness, takes about 10 yrs off of your face. Note there are sexy feminine short haircuts. Not all have to be 1" to 2" from one's head.

I don't think it's age that should decide whether or not you have long hair.
I think it's the condition of your hair.
With that said, I'm 62 and my hair is waist length. I keep it trimmed and off my face
(because I like it like that).

Didn't know I should get my hair cut based on birthdays.

I will agree, however that there are some women and some men that really need to rethink
the pinky finger width pony tail thing they've got going on.
 ohenryx
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2014 11:05:16 AM

easterparadehat
When you are 40 and older, shorter hair, no matter what it's thickness, takes about 10 yrs off of your face.

I don’t know where you’re coming up with this stuff, but it is not based on the real world. We have debated this topic before here in the forums. The answer is not univiersal, there are men who like or prefer short hair on a woman, but they are a distinct minority.

By a rather large margin, most men prefer longer hair on a woman.

Don’t believe me? Look for yourself, google for “does long hair make a woman more attractive”, and then spend some time reading.

Here’s a good short article for you:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/28/long-hair-women_n_1116420.html

However, she says she’s aware that the haircut isn't something that potential male romantic partners are likely to go for, saying, "Of course, the only people who like it are gay men and my girlfriends. Straight men across the board are not into this hair!"

browneyesboo
I don't think it's age that should decide whether or not you have long hair.
I think it's the condition of your hair.
With that said, I'm 62 and my hair is waist length. I keep it trimmed and off my face
(because I like it like that).

Boo, I’ve always admired your style, and your pretty smile. Now that I know this latest fact, I’m hopelessly in love. When can you move to Texas? (smile)
 DoubleParked
Msg: 97
Posted: 5/21/2014 11:28:25 AM
Long hair, short hair who cares!?! To quote Judge Judy (short hair) "Beauty fades, dumb is forever."

Hair is hair, you cut it, it grows back. You can put it up ,let it flow, curl it, straighten it, color it. shave it!

Healthy hair is beautiful hair. As long as it looks good on a person, I don't see what everyone is getting so bent out of shape about. Hats are fun, too, for those with not so beautiful hair. Or those pesky 'bad hair' days

And some people, possibly because they feel insecure about their looks, their face, grow their hair out in order to have a 'curtain' to hide behind. (or a 'bush' as the case may be with the curly girls amongst us!) NTTATWWT ;-)
 Princess12524
Msg: 98
Posted: 5/21/2014 2:26:28 PM
I recently had the long hair convo w/ a friend- we noticed ads for pay dating sites, both on TV & online, featured women who only had shoulder length or longer hair. This included a dating site for people 50+

Think what you may people, but I've had short hair & had long hair (just like I've been heavier & now am thinner)

Guess what, the thinner long haired women (myself included) get WAY more attention than heavier, short haired women.

Not to say that there are not some lovely larger women (look at the singer Adele) or short haired cuties (Jen Lawrence's pixie cut)

But it is what it is & when it comes to mate selection, men do seem to prefer a certain look...
 easterparadehat
Msg: 99
Posted: 5/22/2014 2:42:42 AM
To me hair length means nothing in the way of dates, long hair or short hair I've gotten plenty. Right now in my late 40s I have my pic on a paid site and had about 5 or 6 men emailing me at the same time. Men like pretty no matter what the hair. You can have long hair down to your rearend, you have a butterface, forget about it.
 Bob269
Msg: 100
Posted: 5/22/2014 4:12:24 AM

Looks are very important, Looks can make it or break it.The only thing that can surpass good looks is money and fame.

Yayyyyy....I have a chance. I don't have good looks. That's OK because I don't have money either. With women more worried about my money instead of looks, I may be able to slip in.

Thank You
 rainbowcolors
Msg: 101
Posted: 5/22/2014 8:14:25 AM
This thread is 'ten years old'. Wow.

When I was younger I would only date above average looking men with lean toned bodies even though I was never beautiful (only slightly above average). What is interesting is during this time in my life I was overweight but wouldn't consider dating a man who was overweight. It seems the gorgeous men I dated were more forgiving of a woman's appearance, but nowadays they aren't so much. I get rejected alot.

Years passed and I lost weight and ended up having more of an open mind when it came to dating. I was open to dating men with a 'little' bit of chubs on their body who rocked in the personality department. I learned I can have chemistry with men who aren't gorgeous and found I truly enjoyed their company. So, looks matter to a point but what matters most is how I get along with someone providing the person isn't obese.

I've come a long way and am happy I changed how I viewed men.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2014 12:27:33 PM
"Looks " can be taken away in a few seconds.

Personality, the ability to make me laugh, and a zest for discovering things is very difficult to take away.
If find that as I get older, looks mean less and less to me....just as long as they have that certain glint in their eyes that says "I'm ready to misbehave if you are."
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 103
Posted: 5/22/2014 9:05:27 PM

Men like pretty no matter what the hair. You can have long hair down to your rearend, you have a butterface, forget about it.

That has been my experience as well. I had no problem attracting men even when my hair was just about chin length.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 104
Posted: 5/23/2014 5:14:11 AM

Men like pretty no matter what the hair.

And by the same token, men like pretty, even if a woman is over 40 and has long hair. I've had my hair long all my life---my man likes it that way, and I see no reason to hack it off. Plus, it's very versatile---I'm not locked into one style---I can wear it straight, curly, up and down.
 Princess12524
Msg: 105
Posted: 5/23/2014 8:15:56 AM
50 is the new 30, & no one should be intimidated or ridiculed for how LONG they wear their hair. I find it ironic that generally the women who wanted me to go short were unattractive w/ chopped gray hair themselves. Misery loves company I guess ;0P

Oh yes, the same ones also try to wave food around you when you have lost weight as well. Uh-hum...
 Foodnmusicguy
Msg: 106
Posted: 5/23/2014 8:29:49 AM

I find it ironic that generally the women who wanted me to go short were unattractive w/ chopped gray hair themselves. Misery loves company I guess ;0P

Did they try to convince you by saying absurd things like " if you cut it short you'll look TEN years younger ? "

LOL - they wanted to bring you down to their level totally . I can just imagine their conspiring " she gets all the attention , we have to do SOMETHING ! Come on girls let's get plotting ! "

lol
 Princess12524
Msg: 107
Posted: 5/23/2014 2:36:56 PM

I find it ironic that generally the women who wanted me to go short were unattractive w/ chopped gray hair themselves. Misery loves company I guess ;0P

Did they try to convince you by saying absurd things like " if you cut it short you'll look TEN years younger ? "

LOL - they wanted to bring you down to their level totally . I can just imagine their conspiring " she gets all the attention , we have to do SOMETHING ! Come on girls let's get plotting ! "

FINALLY A MAN WHO GETS IT!

You left out the trying to get u to be their eating buddy, telling you you don't need makeup, heels, a dress or skirts, nail polish, literally pushing you out of your seat when they see an attractive man sit next to you, etc. You can't make this sh1t up. The last b1tch that pulled all of this is no longer a friend of mine.

Then there was another female "fiend" who pitched a fit everytime we were in public & a man approached me. After the 3rd c*ckblock, I stopped going out in public w/ her & backed off the friendship. She was unattractive & wrote manipulative suicidal letters to me when she was uber drunk. I went to 4 al anon meetings after that...the men said females were the most vicious, LOL!
 south_city
Msg: 108
Posted: 5/25/2014 10:34:46 AM
Looks ( among other things ) are important for dating. A woman doesn't have to look like a super model. LOL. But there should be at least some physical attraction.
 easterparadehat
Msg: 109
Posted: 5/26/2014 2:31:14 PM
I've always hated manicures, pedicures and fake nails of any sort. I wear make up but don't need to slather it on (haven't baked my skin in the sun for the leather look). What is also with the super peroxide look? Too many Gidget movies watched?
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 110
Posted: 5/26/2014 4:37:33 PM

It seems the gorgeous men I dated were more forgiving of a woman's appearance, but nowadays they aren't so much. I get rejected alot.

I have noticed that too. The ones I have been with who were super ripped and gorgeous did not hold the women they were seeing to the same standard. In fact, they didn't mind a little "extra" on girls they liked. I have gone on dates with a few guys who put down "athletic" in their profile, but were more "average/a little extra" when I met them. They went on to tell me that they were glad I looked like my pics because they were tired of meeting fat chicks! Talk about double standard, and an instant turn off for me.
 ladyc4
Msg: 111
Posted: 5/27/2014 11:57:07 AM
oh yeah princess, he "gets" it, hence the "lol" at the end of his comments.

literally pushing you out of your seat when they see an attractive man sit next to you, etc.

Really? Have you tried being friends with grownups?
As for eph, I agree...the way I live my life and spend my time would make fancy mani-pedis and major make-up a big ass waste of time and money, but I don't see any reason to disrespect those who DO choose to do those things.
Again, its' not so much "looks" as it is the 2 people considering dating/forging a relationship being attracted to one another.
Yes, we do have some preconceived ideas of what constitutes "good" looks, based on popular mass media. I'm sure some students of ancient history/anthropology will tell us that there are deeply conditioned responses based on choosing the "best" reproductive partners. Indeed some of this may be "hard-wired".

Overall, I think that yes, one does need to be at least pleasant-looking and to meet some basic social, functional, educational and economic parameters to have the WIDEST appeal range.
But-if only people with the "right" looks, socioeconomic and educational backgrounds got to date and forge longterm relationships, can you IMAGINE how many people would be firmly and irretrievably unpartnered?
Cindy O
 Princess12524
Msg: 112
Posted: 5/27/2014 7:26:35 PM
I've always hated manicures, pedicures and fake nails of any sort.
That's ur choice

I wear make up but don't need to slather it on (haven't baked my skin in the sun for the leather look).
Good for you, & from what I can see all the women in this thread who have pics up have the same discerning taste as well!

What is also with the super peroxide look? Too many Gidget movies watched?
Some women are born blonde ;0P

oh yeah princess, he "gets" it, hence the "lol" at the end of his comments.
How would you know? He corresponded w/ ME about it...

literally pushing you out of your seat when they see an attractive man sit next to you, etc.

Really? Have you tried being friends with grownups?

Yes , but even grown-ups have their weaknesses...I can only control my own behavior, not those of others around me. Esp. including the seat-pusher-outer!

As for eph, I agree...the way I live my life and spend my time would make fancy mani-pedis and major make-up a big ass waste of time and money, but I don't see any reason to disrespect those who DO choose to do those things.
To each his own!
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 113
Posted: 5/28/2014 6:23:23 AM
Make up is fine, but please include a photo without it. I'd really like to see the real person I might be waking up with:)

You can't put lipstick on a pig, btw

Those push up bras are deceiving, kind of like a bag of chips from a vending machine. You open them up and, poof! All air. Not fair:(

I might as well wear a baseball cap during the date.

Speaking of...is it fair to ask if the carpet matches the drapes during our meet and greet? (joking)

I'd take a 5 with a personality over a 10 that needs constant validation and red carpet treatment. The royal highness has arrived...arrgghhhh

In the 'affluent' area of LA, there are lots of 'tits on sticks' walking around with botox and silicon enhancements. I'm tempted to list plastic surgeon as my occupation:)

That whole botox stuff? Odd. I've never seen one that looked 'natural'. I can spot 'em right away. They look half asleep with their eyes drooping.

I'm tempted to tell them to 'wake the fvck up'
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 114
Posted: 5/28/2014 7:40:06 AM
It's kind of amusing to me that the women who are the most vocal about other women's looks don't post photos of themselves. They might as well admit that they lack self-confidence in their own appearance and think it's safe to pass negative judgment on the way others look as long as those others can't judge them back.
 kj521
Msg: 115
Posted: 5/28/2014 7:50:10 AM
"Make up is fine, but please include a photo without it. I'd really like to see the real person I might be waking up with:)"

Oh come on now! Where is your sense of adventure?

"You can't put lipstick on a pig, btw"

Are you sure about that? Has anyone tried?
I think I shall add that to my bucket list along with roping a goat! A man once told me.... I haven't lived until I have done that!

"Those push up bras are deceiving, kind of like a bag of chips from a vending machine. You open them up and, poof! All air. Not fair:("

Lmao! I shall have to add a disclaimer to my profile.....*any and all preceived cleavage contained in this profile should be credited to Victoria's Secret"

Does that work? ;)

And this......

"Speaking of...is it fair to ask if the carpet matches the drapes during our meet and greet? (joking)"

Do you really need to ask? I'll clue you in.....if there are differences in hair color at the roots.....well......then that is a good indicator they don't! Lol

And I will agree.....personality makes a big difference in the preception of attractiveness!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >