Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nexthyme
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Did use of psychadelic drugs spark long-term benefits to your mind, thinking and logic?Page 5 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
DD Bill Gates. and Paul Allen used LSD to create windows...Little factoid that some people don't know...

I have a natural ability to go into the depth of my own mind where I have remember my own birth, YES freaking crazy sounding, but it is possible to get to the bare essentials of memories, even that far back.

I have mentally been places that have later been proved by science, which I would find myself in awe that I actually knew this prior... Didn't read these things, nor did I hear anything about it...

I have a very natural ability in the medical field, and have an innate ability to know how the body functions and what can be broken...

In fact I am known to get long distance sympathy pain...

IE: My SI joint, Sacrum iliac joint, lower back bone connecting the spine to the pelvis was hurting, went out... My knee was hurting... However not like it belonged to me...

Sooooo I called my mom and asked her what was ailing her back... She was puzzled that I would know her lower back was hurting her... I then said, it started in your knee didn't it...

UH HUH...

Weird sounding... I could be accused of NEW AGE, BAHHHHH it is totally old age intuition nothing more... I have just learned how to open my mind in a way as to perceive things that others haven't learned how to do...

Admittedly I have had a little to much time to practice, since I am a college student and am not working...

Some people feel the need to use drugs. and some people have a brain designed to be more open to that...

I use cannabis for pain med, not often, because the relief I have gotten has finally gotten me to a point of not having constant pain... I have tripped on that stuff and went places I don't really understand... It can be a powerful drug for some people, especially chronic...

Keep being analytical and open to things.. You can do a little or a lot of research and find that the power of the mind and the soul is a really wonderful thing...
 nexthyme
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Did use of psychadelic drugs spark long-term benefits to your mind, thinking and logic?
Posted: 3/19/2009 3:44:15 PM
GGarbo I totally respect your post... If the money for the war on drugs were put into the mental health system, people could readily get mental health help. However there is not a lot of help for people with mental health issues...

I don't know about the rest of the world, but Or, and Wa have gone insane with crime, breaking into houses, banks, stores. I have NEVER seen this amount of insanity.

I live in this little podunk town, and the credit union was held up and the bank robber had a bomb in his vehicle and at his house... Freaking insane...

Then the A holes at AIG are getting bonuses???

SORRY, my mind went off line for a while, LOL...

Marijuana works different for different people, I only advocate for medical use, simply because those who are going to use it for recreation do whether it is legal or not....

I have to admit I have a mind a lot like yours, thus having anything added to it would be a disaster.

I have had a "vision" or I don't know what, the same one three times. once was on chronic, was expecting to trip on it... Any way other two times I wasn't, it is one of being caught in a house fire upstairs, and I am unable to get down the stairs because the stairs are burned away.

As of yet I am not sure what it means, and I have a ladder to escape if there ever was a house fire... Sometimes I think the aware mind can locate memories, or things that don't make sense...
 nexthyme
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Did use of psychadelic drugs spark long-term benefits to your mind, thinking and logic?
Posted: 3/20/2009 9:29:52 AM
Some people don't have to do psychedelic drugs to go into very strange places of the mind... A good number of scientists, inverters, and artist all have one major thing in common, and that is bi polar, a few schizos. Henry Ford would be let out of the asylum and followed around to collect his thoughts for new inventions. Picasso was driven crazy with tinnitus, an cut his ear off trying to rid himself of the noise.

Newton was crazier than a june bug with bi polar.

What humans didn't have naturally they located artificially.

That doesn't mean that either is all bad or all good...

I met a 19 yr old that was majorly brain damaged from doing drugs, and he believed he was a glass of orange juice, and feared being tipped over or he'd spill out...On a regular basis he would see "black demons" and would be found running down the road trying to get away from these beasts chasing him.

First time I ever seen a meth head was having a temp room mate. When I met her, and was asked to help her, she told me how her and her bf were living in this house were the other room mates had wired her brain, and had secret cameras viewing her and her bf, and putting sex videos of them on the net.

I would hear her stomping and yelling at people, and wonder what the hell was wrong with her...

METH... NICE nice drug...

As for cannabis it has an interesting affect of separating the different sounds and tones out. I can see why people love to listen to music with it, because it certainly has a way of making the whole experience different.

My brain has a very vast way of function, and getting it self into places people shouldn't go... I have no desire nor have I ever had to trip out... I have a well above average IQ, and therefore I am not sure if my brain would come back if I decided to trip out...

First time I tried cannabis I went into a grand mal seizure, and then unconscious. Wasn't sure if I had died or just what (that was the mental trip), and when coming too, didn't recognize the guy I had been dating for 6 mo.

I can say there really is a heightened sense, because a second time I tried it, I was freaking paranoid, so my then BF took me for a hike to get the air going in my system. I about stepped on a Newt. As I was about to step down, and I am NOT kidding, there was like this shriek I heard, looked down with my foot in the air, and this little tiny creature was staring up at me in total terror, as its life was passing before its eyes before a boot was about to crush it...

It is an amazing pain killer, and one that if used properly (dosing is a bit tough) a little can relieve a LOT of pain.

I am not sure if some people need the enhancement, or what...
 nexthyme
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2009 11:40:26 AM
RIGHT RIGHT, Van Gogh... (weird the story I read was that the tinnitus was making him psychotic, history books at their finest) Sorry having a bad day... One of those really truly shitty ones...

ACTUALLY I used the term for H Ford loosely... Yippy I know a little more about Bi polar than say ohhhh the average person because it runs in the family. With his wealth he wasn't put in a "regular" asylum, however he was in a "special place", and was very bi polar...

As for the experience, if you have enough pain, and there are meds you take to supposedly control the pain, there are contradictions that don't bode well with the two...

HOWEVER I have since became an advocate for legal medical use...

I used to have horrible pain from a botched neck surgery. that kind that left a person with muscle knots so tight that they made actual function of the arms and neck extremely hard... Cannabis has work them out, and I have less pain then I have had in like forever...

Van Gogh's "bizarre behavior suggests that his tinnitus had become intolerable and that he felt he might alleviate the 'auditory hallucinations' by eliminating their source. Some patients with Meniere's disease experience such overwhelming tinnitus that they would 'cut off their ear' or 'poke a hole in it with an ice pick' to try to relieve it."
(from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/museums/features/98vangogh/madgogh1122.htm)

In fact there are many links with the same theory that his tinnitus drove him bonkers, as well they state he too was bi polar...

Starry night is a perfect example of someone with noise driving their head insane...

I have a type of tinnitus, sounds like boards slamming together.. NO wouldn't cut my ear off, or put an ice pick into my ear, I just know about these other famous people because of my search for the noise within...
 father3
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2009 1:31:04 PM

Do any of you who've used a drug like I mentioned feel it helped expand your mind in a way that's been beneficial throughout your life? Or maybe I was just always this curious, analytical-type person?

News Alert: Humans by nature are curious and analytical. It's not a 'type', its our condition. And sorry about the psychaedelic drug use. You can't take a pill to acquire knowledge or insight. You can, however, take a pill to lower your inhibitions, and perhaps by lowering inhibitions one can question axioms. Especially the ones our parents passed down to us. Like "don't do drugs".

I have mentally been places that have later been proved by science, which I would find myself in awe that I actually knew this prior... Didn't read these things, nor did I hear anything about it...

Wow!! That's amazing!! Which scientific discoveries have you not laid claim to, but by all reasonable standards of "mental travelling", should be credited with?

I have a very natural ability in the medical field, and have an innate ability to know how the body functions and what can be broken...

I'm not sure whether you're saying you're a naturopath, or you work for the mafia.

My knee was hurting... However not like it belonged to me...

What? Your knee hurt, I get that. What do you mean when you follow it with "However not like it belonged to me... " ?

I could be accused of NEW AGE, BAHHHHH it is totally old age intuition nothing more... I have just learned how to open my mind in a way as to perceive things that others haven't learned how to do...

You do realize on some level that if you learn something, it's not really intution, don't you?

I use cannabis for pain med, not often, because the relief I have gotten has finally gotten me to a point of not having constant pain... I have tripped on that stuff and went places I don't really understand... It can be a powerful drug for some people, especially chronic...

Seriously. I don't know the exact numbers, but a high percentage of marijuana smokers 'mellow out' on the stuff, and a smaller percentage 'trip' on the stuff. I'm one of the 'trippers'. Everyone else would mellow out and I be extremely paranoid and anxious. I suspect it has more to do with differing brain chemistries than anything else.
 nexthyme
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2009 11:35:43 PM
Sorry Father I didn't realize you were addressing me.

Wow!! That's amazing!! Which scientific discoveries have you not laid claim to, but by all reasonable standards of "mental travelling", should be credited with?

If a person is "tripping" they don't realize what they are experiencing is some sort of wonderful NEWS FLASH, until after the fact. The reality is this, just because I may have experienced something awesome doesn't mean that many others haven't discovered the same thing.

I don't need credit for something that is a fact, and I didn't know it was, because at the time i was just tripping... The awe came when I realized the trip was something that was correct and "news worthy"

I'm not sure whether you're saying you're a naturopath, or you work for the mafia.
I was an x ray tech, we don't get the full gamete that a medical dr gets, but I can understand process that I never read about, or heard Dr's talking about. I could look at X rays and know what was going on, without reading the patients chart. I was accurate more times than not.
I make NO CLAIMS of being a Dr, and would NEVER diagnose a patient, however that didn't mean I didn't do it mentally. Call it a gift, intuition, what ever, it is just there.

I do practice naturopathic meds from time to time, and am very adept at the simple things. Once again my intuition lead and I follow. DON'T get me wrong, I am talking about dealing with simple issues, big stuff I let the big guns deal with. They can deal with the liability of being wrong, I am not interested in that kind of responsibility.

There are people that practice Reiki, Healing touch, et al... Some of us can be empathics, meaning we sense other peoples physical pain... I can do that, can't say I enjoy it, and have inquired how to NO LONGER take on someone elses pain, because I am NOT relieving their suffering, I am just suffering along side them...

I agree cannabis alters peoples brain chemistry... Did you know that the human brain has two plant receptors??? One is for cannabis, and the other is for opium... However the brain will develop receptors for nicotine? Pain meds hi jack the receptors for opium. However cannabis receptors are not only in the brain, but through out the nervous system as well.

Personally I find that interesting simply because of how silly the government is about cannabis... Oddly the state of Oregon has decided that it can make money growing pot for the medical needy, wow such visionaries... Realizing that instead of allowing someone to grow the stuff for themselves, they can regulate it like any other drug...

I don't know if that is bad or good, but something interesting none the less...

desertrhino
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2009 12:54:42 AM
I agree cannabis alters peoples brain chemistry... Did you know that the human brain has two plant receptors??? One is for cannabis, and the other is for opium... However the brain will develop receptors for nicotine? Pain meds hi jack the receptors for opium. However cannabis receptors are not only in the brain, but through out the nervous system as well.

Okay, you've trotted out that "2 plant receptors in the human brain" carp one time too many.

First, the body uses cannabinoids all over the place to regulate things like nerve impulses, ocular pressure, and others. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_receptor gives a decent overview. The thing is, the receptors are there, and there just happen to be chemicals in some plants that mimic the endogenous cannabinoids closely enough to bind to those receptors.

Second, opioids in the human body follow the same pattern: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_receptor The receptors exist to recognize endogenous opioids, and certain plants happen to produce chemicals similar enough to bind to the receptors, producing similar effects to the endogenous ligands. Also, while these receptors are predominantly found in the brain and spinal column, they are also found elsewhere in the body.

Third, Let's talk about other plant compounds that bind to other classes of receptors in the human body:
**How about sterols and steroids that bind to steroid (like androgen and estrogen) receptors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steroid_hormone_receptor
**Nicotine receptors are present in the human body, it's just that nicotine also up-regulates their production: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotinic_acetylcholine_receptor and http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080229120651.htm
**the sigma-1 receptor binds DMT and similar plant compounds http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-02/uow-pca021109.php
**phoebe chekiangensis extracts bind to dopamine receptors: http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2667020
**caffeine binds to adenosine receptors all over the body: http://health.howstuffworks.com/caffeine3.htm

Just for the record, I'm stopping with the above list, just because I'm tired of copying and pasting more, not because I've come even remotely close to the end of the list. This might be a little technical, but it goes on and on and on... http://tinyurl.com/ccol4t (edited to use a tinyurl instead, to limit the width of the page)

That people live in the Information Age and refuse to do the most basic research before making sweeping generalizations regarding well-characterized systems, particularly in medicine and science, is mind-boggling to me. Clearly a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing.

I do practice naturopathic meds from time to time, and am very adept at the simple things. Once again my intuition lead and I follow. DON'T get me wrong, I am talking about dealing with simple issues, big stuff I let the big guns deal with. They can deal with the liability of being wrong, I am not interested in that kind of responsibility.

Generally, naturopathic medicine confines itself to matters where the patient will get better all by themselves without any external influence. Please try to not hurt anyone while doing so, mmmkay? As an adjunct to more rigorous medical practice, I have no problem with it, but most of the "naturopaths" I have encountered would be at a loss when asked to diagnose a splinter. Leaving one's care in their mostly-untrained hands would be almost suicidal with any significant illness.

I was an x ray tech, we don't get the full gamete that a medical dr gets, but I can understand process that I never read about, or heard Dr's talking about. I could look at X rays and know what was going on, without reading the patients chart. I was accurate more times than not.
I make NO CLAIMS of being a Dr, and would NEVER diagnose a patient, however that didn't mean I didn't do it mentally. Call it a gift, intuition, what ever, it is just there.

The word you were looking for there was "gamut." Gametes are haploid reproductive cells such as spermatozoa and ova.

I see where you get your rigorous adherence to scientific principles, however (I can understand process that I never read about, or heard Dr's talking about). Again, though... any monkey can read the easy stuff on an X-ray, especially if they look at them all day. It's not a gift, it's just exposure.

But don't get me wrong, I think you're on the right track with NEVER diagnosing a patient. Even if you WERE better than 50/50 without reading a patient's chart, that's pretty poor odds when lives are on the line.

Oh, and my answer to the OP's original question is, "no." Perhaps they allowed me to see through a few social facades, but that's it. The notes I took while tripping were ludicrously simple and incoherent for the most part, when read while NOT tripping... too bad they seemed like world-altering revelations at the time.
 nexthyme
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2009 9:23:38 AM
Third, Let's talk about other plant compounds that bind to other classes of receptors in the human body:
**How about sterols and steroids that bind to steroid (like androgen and estrogen) receptors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steroid_hormone_receptor
**Nicotine receptors are present in the human body, it's just that nicotine also up-regulates their production: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotinic_acetylcholine_receptor and http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080229120651.htm
**the sigma-1 receptor binds DMT and similar plant compounds http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-02/uow-pca021109.php
**phoebe chekiangensis extracts bind to dopamine receptors: http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2667020
**caffeine binds to adenosine receptors all over the body: http://health.howstuffworks.com/caffeine3.htm

What you have just taken all the time to ADDRESS is neurotransmitter hi jackings... NOT actual plant neuroreceptors, which is what I was addressing...

As for naturopathic meds, it isn't a wait and see, but the use of an active natural med that doesn't contain synthetic crap, verses running to the local dr to load you up on big pharma synthetic crap... Naturopaths believe that each field of study has a place, and many drs in this area are FINALLY embracing the fact that NOT EVERY itch, scratch, or ache has to be drown out with a drug that causes yet 15 more issues...

I find it less than amusing that you think a monkey can read an x ray... A Radiologist takes 13 yrs of medical school to reach the point of reading x rays...

I wasn't addressing the everyday normal stuff a person seen on a daily basis either. It is a sense that a person develops, or has naturally, but I am sure you have some blustery anecdotal insult to that as well... Whatever, since you have the answer to me, and I didn't ask for it, I guess you are also a psychiatrist as well... Meh, then again I have to question my sanity in addressing someone that seems to enjoy the thrill of being an antagonist...

I suppose there are people who enjoy the forums for the help and positive building experience, and others enjoy being insultive, and negative... Wow, little doubt where you fit in the scheme of things now is there...

It is so gracious of you to recognize that you on drugs is worse than you not on drugs, given the fact you seem to find your superior knowledge above everyone else...

On the other hand I live in a more down to earth world, and don't have a need to beseech the forums with my expertise, nor a need to CORRECT peoples misspells, damn, word check can be such a wonderful thing until you correct with the WRONG word...

Please go back to your normal over the top intellect, while the rest of us are happy in our own worlds having enough sense to not feel the need to make a science paper out of every topic at hand...

I do that in school, here is just general information... I guess you didn't get the memo on that did you

I do have to agree that stating LSD is less benign than alcohol is rather ummmm, hmmmm well not the message most would find appropriate... Drugs of any kind do different things to different people, and whether they are considered "natural" or they are considered schedule I drugs, such as LSD, there should be total respect in using any of them...
 nexthyme
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2009 9:50:03 AM
Xzanthius, just curious have you gone to South America and tripped on some of the concoctions they create?

I hear they take a person to realms that are NOT for the faint of heart.

As well I think some people under estimate their own brains stability factor... I have read research on people that were "made into schizophrinics" because of psychedelic drugs, however I have to wonder if perhaps these people were not predisposed to that imbalance.

Not everyone that is predisposed to such things will develop the "disease, or disorder" however under the right circumstances, and or introduction to toxins, they can bring out that issue in a person.

Some trips aren't meant to be made by some people, and they pay for that trip.

I do agree for those who understand that this experiment can go bad, it is probably no different then getting behind the wheel of a car. There may be a day a person ends up seriously injured, or dead.

I don't advocate abuse of drugs, but I do think they have a value for certain purposes...
 nexthyme
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2009 1:00:45 PM
Interesting you mention that Xzanthius, Oregon is allowing a church to practice the use of hallucinogens, I'd actually have to look up what they are using...

I totally agree, it is the wreckless sport of experimentation that generally gets people into a really deep mess, rather than fully the drug itself...

I also know exactly what you mean about imprinting...

It seems to me when it comes to drugs, such as used to be the opium dens in the late 1800 to early 1900 people felt free to waste themselves away... However it was the freak out of society that women were going there, and some dirty china man was going to take full advantage of her...

Some people DO NOT need drugs to go on "trips", and some of them can be soooo extremely awesome... However the problem is that the brain can't handle that kind of rush of chemicals (even those it has created itself) thus there is little predictability what a person is going to do.

That is the same with drugs... Meth has been such a horrid drug, and it has become an insanity rage of drug use since the economical crash, that has made people do desperately insane things...

I live in a very small place, and a man tried holding up a local credit union, had a bomb in his vehicle and bombs and material in his home... He was strung out on meth, and was looking to get money to get himself a long term fix...

Someone else broke into an apartment by breaking the sliding glass window, he was butt naked...

I could go on and on, but I am sure it isn't different where you live either...

Shaman use these in combination with meditation, for a person who KNOWS how to combine the two the experience is into a spiritual level.... AND YES, I know exactly what you are saying about the experience being real...

For people who haven't had that FEELING, or "traveled" beyond their own mental existent, it makes no sense, but sounds like fanciful thinking...

Thanks for sharing...
 WanderingRain
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2009 11:49:36 PM
Never did drugs in my life.
One day, I adapted Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" for my illustrated graphic novel. Someone commented that they think Lewis Carroll took drugs and that's how he came up with "Alice". I replied that if that's what it took to be immortalized like that, maybe I should be doing some shrooms myself...
 transcend
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2009 1:43:41 AM
As previously noted , for those lacking in experience your input in this area cannot fail to be contaminated by the decision to abstain and continue to do so. I think knowing in advance that you have a negative attitude toward something as powerful as psychedelics makes it absolutely right that you refrain from ever swallowing or inhaling anything that has the power to bypass your consciousness. Good decision.
i was a musician in the late 60's so I ate enough LSD to blow open every door and window in my head. I sampled and swallowed mushrooms , peyote buttons and many forms of mescaline.. synthetic combinations like MDA that predated Ecstasy and melted the pants off everyone lucky enough to benefit from a careful chemist..
I never had a bad trip..ever.. would i recommend it to anyone? Nope its illegal and dangerous due not to just the vagaries of the chemistry but to how the rules can ruin anyone that disregards them.
Personally I faced every demon my upbringing left in my noggin and dismantled every dragon in my psyche.. I was left able to laugh at my own demise and feel comfortable with damn near anything without losing sight of honest self respect and an awareness of the rights and reality of others. I gained insight into every religion i had previously studied and brought back from my journeys tools to use that i still employ today. I write and read and listen and learn so yes i feel blessed to know what controlling my own random noise filters can do for my problem solving contributions and my own self awareness. Would i have been able to learn and successfully employ Zen awareness and Tantric physical control without psychedelics?
Hard to say ..you can't unring a bell..
Certainly i believe i gained from the experiences .. but we may all come to the same crossroads and not have the same choice... who you are means everything

to you
 desertrhino
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2009 6:00:32 AM

What you have just taken all the time to ADDRESS is neurotransmitter hi jackings... NOT actual plant neuroreceptors, which is what I was addressing...

I believe that your interpretation of what I am presenting is not correct. I would, however, be perfectly willing to be educated on the matter, if you would care to enlighten me on the following:

**Steroid hormone receptors are hijacked neurotransmitters how? (Hint: they aren't. They're generally involved in things like metabolic control and nuclear gene expression. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steroid_hormone_receptor )
**Sigma-1 receptor is a hijacked neurotransmitter how? (Hint: it's not. It's involved in intracellular calcium signalling, and while concentrated in the central nervous system, it is not a neurotransmitter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigma-1_receptor )
**What, exactly, makes a certain set of receptors a "plant neuroreceptor?" Especially considering plants have no neurons. Seriously. Expand upon this thought. Perhaps provide a link to some background material. This rambling treatise without any references or data was all I could find: http://www.majik.org/downloads/symbiosis.pdf

On the other hand, you could actually read up on the topic, educate yourself, and come to understand that what you call "plant neuroreceptors" are just families of chemical receptors that happen to have been identified because of the effects of certain chemicals in plants... The receptors are called "cannabinoid receptors" because they were observed to bind certain compounds from Cannabis, and then cannabinoid compounds for which the receptors were INTENDED were found in the body. Same exact story for Opioid receptors, but about 20 years earlier.

Here, you can read it all in Wiki, a VERY nice summary of the field of cannabinoid receptor discovery and analysis, with a lovely set of PRIMARY REFERENCES very clearly laid out at the bottom of the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoids I know it's a little long, but I'm sure you can slog through it, after reading so much on aliens and crop circles.

The wiki on opioid receptor discovery is much shorter and less comprehensive, but the PRIMARY REFERENCES listed at the bottom are fairly comprehensive, again, if you're willing to do the actual brain work of reading up on the subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_receptor

I wasn't addressing the everyday normal stuff a person seen on a daily basis either. It is a sense that a person develops, or has naturally

As for your radiographic brilliance... all I can say is, get your behind into medical school and put that natural talent to use. It's a damn shame it's being wasted the way it is.

while the rest of us are happy in our own worlds having enough sense to not feel the need to make a science paper out of every topic at hand...

This is so telling... I'll bet $20 your MBTI type ends with FP.
 nexthyme
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2009 1:26:50 PM
Desertrhino, I am NOT wasting my mind, I am in school finishing a Bachelors, and starting my Masters... Some of us have different directions in life, and are happy to do what needs to be done..

I am sure since you seem so intellectual you may respect the fact that I have repeatedly said, if you want my attention, don't use a secondary source as wiki, because as a legal studies student it holds little value...As well would not be used in a court of law, or any legal, and or science paper submitted to any institute..

I have done very indepth papers on cannabis, therefore your lame insults fail to impress...

If I thought you had a sincere inquiry as to what my actual knowledge was, instead of taking power trips of pot shots, I would have a serious down to earth conversation with you in private email... However from your posts, it is obvious that you have nothing more than nasty regards towards me, and I personally have little time or mental energy to continue with that exchange...

Tell me, how is it that someone that was a "brilliant scientist" down graded to becoming a sheriff or police officer??? Seems like a waste of brilliance...

Madfiddler, a post that is extremely intriguing. Ah yes, the opened windows...

People with mood instability have to be very vigilant in caring for their opened doors and windows...

Tell me, have you re-experienced your own birth into this world???

That is freaking mind blowing in and of itself... However well worth the trip, especially if it isn't on any type of drug...

I do believe that these drugs used for what purpose they seem to be created for...(I know creation stuff) you opened the door...LOL, they can be used for some really great introspect, or creating things, such as what was done with Windows...

However the fact that people miss use these things, seems to really reinforce the ideal that they should be illegal...

One patient I remember in particular who was already paralyzed from the waste down, early 20's decided to do shrooms, he had a toxic reaction, and went into anaphylactic (sic) shock, cardiac arrest, was brought back, and because of lack of oxygen was partially a vegetable...

There are a lot of things that can be gained if people used things properly, however just like cars, motorcycles, et al, there is this human attitude of recklessness thus spoiling things for others...

desertrhino
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2009 2:51:32 PM

I am sure since you seem so intellectual you may respect the fact that I have repeatedly said, if you want my attention, don't use a secondary source as wiki, because as a legal studies student it holds little value...As well would not be used in a court of law, or any legal, and or science paper submitted to any institute..

I have done very indepth papers on cannabis, therefore your lame insults fail to impress...

You seemed to need a little education on the background and state of our understanding of human receptors for hormones, growth factors, signaling factors, and the like. That Wiki article is just about perfect for that, and contains some 30 very good primary sources, all in one place, rather than having me post 30 links. That you immediately dismiss it as secondary means you totally missed the point.

Just wondering if you'd call a textbook on the subject a secondary source, because textbooks are written in the same manner, taking information from primary sources, organizing and summarizing, while providing those primary sources in the bibliography... For crying out loud, it was supposed to be a secondary source. Anything you find fascinating or that you question, you can look at the footnotes and go to the original paper (as I pointed out, the primary source is RIGHT THERE). If you'd prefer, I can go grab all 30 freaking links, and give you the undigested, raw information, and let you synthesize it all and come to a conclusion, never mind that this would be the subject matter of at least 2 or 3 graduate level courses. But hey! someone had already done all that exact same work... what a waste of your time and mine to duplicate that.

And you can say you've written in-depth papers on cannabis all you want... it's still painfully apparent that you don't understand what a receptor is, how they work in the body, and how plant compounds can be and are very similar to the intended ligands for those receptors, without the receptors being somehow specifically PLANT (neuro)receptors. As Paul Harvey would have said, "and now for the REST of the story."

You aren't seriously saying that the whole family of cannabinoid receptors was designed and intended to act as receptors for marijuana ingestion, are you? They do all KINDS of jobs in the body, including pressure regulation in the eye and metabolic control of various types, in addition to the plant-ligand-induced "high." And I can assure you, they still do all those jobs even in populations that simply did not have access to cannabis of any sort. Though I suppose the aliens could have engineered that entire system to recognize marijuana compounds...

Tell me, how is it that someone that was a "brilliant scientist" down graded to becoming a sheriff or police officer??? Seems like a waste of brilliance...

Since you're going to travel the ad hominem route, bringing in information from my profile to essentially slander me, I'll bite... it'll end up getting deleted, but... *shrug*

Sometimes people leave a career that is taking time away from, say, family, apparently causing a major rift... People occasionally leave careers like that to attempt to save said family. 80-100 hours per week in the lab is a fair chunk of the 168 hours in a given week. Now, if that rift is caused more by the other person's desire to be single again, nothing will save that marriage. Then one might take up a new career, say, as a software engineer and project manager. Lots of people lost careers like that right after 9/11, in the "dot bomb." After casting around a bit, someone might find that another career still leaves them time to have a small social life, be a single parent of two, while paying the bills and allowing them to enjoy what they do because they contribute to the overall well-being of society.

Good thing you have your levels of success laid out so clearly. Note to self: scientist ==> cop equals downgrade. Please, do remind the next cop that saves the life of you or someone you know that they're wasting their life, mmmkay? Or maybe you can tell the families of those four officers in Oakland that got killed last week they weren't as valuable as a scientist. Hope you don't mind the secondary source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29817606/

Around here, cops are expected to have a college degree, and about 1/4 of the people I work with have advanced degrees in various fields. Also, preventing and solving crimes is not a job for morons. It takes some serious attention to detail, focus, education, experience, and COURAGE to be "out there" with nothing between you and the bad guy but a vest, some tools, and your wits (and your partners). Apparently, you don't know the field of law enforcement very well, either, pre-law or whatever it is you're studying now notwithstanding.

Oh, hey... are firefighters above or below cops? How about paramedics? Just for my future reference.
 nexthyme
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2009 4:23:57 PM
Desertrhino, I didn't USE your profile, you explained your superior knowledge on another thread....

I am being GLIB, because you are talking DOWN TO ME... I am very well aware of the benefits of Wiki, and the footnotes...

However I find it rather distasteful that you are perfectly comfortable attacking me, or others personally, yet get indignant when you get attacked back...

I don't find ANYONE above or beneath, if you want a personal answer... IT IS YOU that is bantering at me how I am so ignorant of this or that... Instead of talking down to me, talk to me as an equal, that may not have had the opportunity to EXPAND into the realm of knowledge you have...

I make no false pretense that I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING... My observation on the cannabinoid neuro receptors is really very clear, so is the OTHER NEUROreceptors in the body...

I may not be a neurologist, or neurosurgeon, but my studies took me deep into that realm.. Perhaps not as deep as your science degree did, however I once again am NOT writing a thesis statement, or paper on these boards...

Oh and yes, I can understand completely having to change career paths... I lost my ability to work as an X ray tech, WHICH I dearly loved, because of a very severe neck injury/neurosurgery botch up...

Believe me a person learns real fast when they have had their recurrent laryngeal nerve severed, as well as developed arachnitis in the spinal column and through the spinal membranes (sparing anyone the technical names) out the 5/6 nerve branches...

I also had to balance single parenthood, while working 60 plus hours a week... balanced parenthood while going to college now for the third time...

Shug, slander the legal definition is this: A type of defamation. Slander is an untruthful oral (spoken) statement about a person that harms the person's reputation or standing in the community.

My words are written, which if they were untrue, and harmed your reputation it would be defamation, which I repeated what you wrote in the Alien post...

Once again it was in rebuttal to your attack against me for being brilliant in X ray, and why didn't I go to medical school... I don't have to, my daughter is doing that... Me, I am happy in advocating for people..

By the way one of my really adored friends is a CSI, and he is absolutely no moron... However he makes no claims to know everything, nor does he belittle people when they make statements that are completely incorrect...

I would find you completely insightful if you didn't have this need to personally insult or attack others for things you seem to find fault in... Communication 101, teaches if you want a person to listen to what you have to say, try and understand where they are coming from and why they believe what they believe...

Want to get a person into defense mode, insult them, talk down to them, diminish and dismiss their beliefs, and you end up with a hostile encounter...

I make NO CLAIMS in complete understanding of receptors... I have a little more than basic knowledge... I also have NO PROBLEM with someone having an interest in educating me further... HELL I am up to new and exciting reads ALL THE TIME... I may not have the time to read these things, nor do I have the time to research every topic I encounter.

here's a suggestion for you... Instead of making personal attacks, and belittlements, gentle suggestions would really be well worth your effort... People will respond more positively, and actually want to learn more from you...Just a suggestion, take it or leave it... We all have lives to lead, and I personally can't change how you want to communicate with others...

JustDukky
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/4/2009 10:53:57 AM
A wonderful "higher consciousness" introduction to "acid" turned into a two year series of "bad trip flashbacks" in my youth. In the process of saving myself from total insanity, I learned a lot about the workings and philosophy of mind, but the most important thing I learned was to be analytical, skeptical and to not necessarily accept the "truth" of what is presented, even if I see it with my own eyes. It was a lesson that would serve me well, and looking back, well worth the hell I went through to learn it.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2009 11:35:26 AM
I did shrooms and a bit of lsd as a kid with no perceivable ill effects other than questioning authority and the way the world was run.

I also did war as did many of my peers and many since. PTSD/R scrambles a brain in ways that few drugs could. ( I prefer to call it post traumatic stress response..it is not a disorder but a natural reaction. ) In many cases, Vietnam vets, self medicated with pot for decades, because it was the only available drug that actually helped manage that psycholical response to horror.

Recent trials have shown amazing results in PTS response treatments using ecstacy.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13639_3-10191171-42.html
Most PTSR vets I have know have been very wary of the side effects of phamaceutical antidepressants, and in one case, one was shown to increase suicidal thoughts with 30,000 exposed on an experimental basis.
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/february132009/mj_vs_drugs_2-13-09.php
With 120 war veterans committing suicide each week, there is an imperative to explore the use of psychadelic drugs for healing. There are hundreds of thousands of new veterans now in danger of suicide and other effects of PTSR. For those who survived for decades, managing their own war torn brain scramble with cannabis, it seems there is a corrective chemical reaction that works like Ecstacy has promised of late.
 zabet
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2009 7:58:37 PM
Peacethx, maybe I'm more optimistic than you. I believe some of the changes in perception were more enduring, and I see it in my kids and their friends.

Many of us who played with psychedelics in the sixties discovered new ways of looking at the world, some of us retreated to safer places, some of us had no such places to retreat to, some of us continued exploring, making new connections, synthesizing multiplicities of perspective.
 nexthyme
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2009 2:09:06 PM
X file, I really like your post...

I haven't personally did full out psychedelics, but can say I have tripped extremely hard on mary jane...

Reality, pfffffttttt one persons reality is another persons dream world...

I know people that think they are all that and are saving the world by their drivel, but to them it is hard out facts...

We are a drug induced society by big pharma, and people thinking other wise well they are not in reality...
 Go Rin No Sho
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2009 9:54:59 PM

No, but it seriously fraked up my ability to spell psychadelic.
 hurricane hanna
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2009 4:45:42 PM
I can't really convince myself that it's actually beneficial, except when I'm high.
 Phoebus2k9
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/21/2009 6:01:30 AM
No no they dont do anything but cause you more issues and health related issues....they dont do you any good and never will....its like getting a sugar pill works only if you believe it works ...and even then your health is still at risk
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >