Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mik1950
Msg: 17
vegetable gardensPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
hawk...unfortunately the food industry is big business...and big business spells tax dollars for the govt...therefore it stands to reason that food suppliers are gonna cut costs in order to widen their profit margin...cutting costs can range from genetic alteration of food...to hiring non union workers for harvesting...to forcing independant growers out of business by getting bills like that one passed...the govt is more likely to listen to someone like a major food supplier that contributes millions of dollars a yr in taxes than they are to listen to small guys that only contribute a fraction of that...there are ways around it tho...some farmers here are selling their product thru what they call "garden gate" marketting...ie...you drive right to the farms and buy on site...these so called "health concerns" are nothing but money grabs IMO...
i think this year i will utilize my back yard garden to the max...preserving what i can to last as long as possible...i may even take up hunting for meat again this yr...
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 18
view profile
History
vegetable gardens
Posted: 3/25/2009 2:53:19 PM
A real garden would probably be too much work for me and I doubt I could eat that much anyways - a lot of what I could grow would just go to waste. I've been thinking about one or two of those AeroGarden's. Anyone have any experience with that or indoor gardens? How much can you expect to harvest from an AeroGarden?
 mik1950
Msg: 21
vegetable gardens
Posted: 3/26/2009 8:00:48 AM
pazoo...good idea...might be an idea for some of the shelter houses and food banks etc to get in on too
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 24
view profile
History
vegetable gardens
Posted: 3/28/2009 11:16:18 AM
P&P..Someone (I can't remember who) was having problems with Canada Geese in their yard..and they couldn't figure out a way to keep them away. Until they rigged a motion detector switch to a electric valve that opened the water to a very conveniently placed sprinkler...Ta Daaaaaa!!!!!...no more problem. I think it might work on those cats..you just need to find an electrical engineer with more time on his hands than sense..LOL
 mik1950
Msg: 25
vegetable gardens
Posted: 3/28/2009 11:33:26 AM
i donno if this will work for cats but it works on squirrels...they were starting to overrun my shed so i scattered a bunch of mothballs all over...the squirrels moved out
 mik1950
Msg: 26
vegetable gardens
Posted: 3/29/2009 6:41:16 AM
i wouldnt think blueberry bushes require any special treatment for the winter rusty...the bush here in north ontario is full of them...
i think the only thing they need is a sandy soil...i tried them before...they grew ok...even made some small berries the next year...but my brain dead nephew kinda hacked them to bits with the lawn mower...they didnt grow so well after that...lol
check into the soil requirements before you plant any...if you do
 mik1950
Msg: 27
vegetable gardens
Posted: 3/29/2009 12:02:20 PM
mine grew fine in the ground...until they met their maker with the lawn mower...but do an online search rusty...see what kinda soil suits them best...sandy soil i think...slighty acidic...but look it up on google
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 29
view profile
History
vegetable gardens
Posted: 3/31/2009 6:11:57 PM
Hey P&P...I love to make people smile...LOL. Now here's where I make ya want to shake somebody. As a farmer who grows coarse grains (corn and soybeans), and wheat. I participate in the Govt. agricultural programs...basically because the Govt. in it's infinite wisdom makes it pretty hard to compete if you don't take the money that the next guy will take. I don't completely agree with the way the Farm bill is written..because a lot of it is due to lobbying by special interest groups (I'll bet that comes to nobody's surprise). Here is a case in point. I would like to make a little extra money by planting a vegetable crop in a standing wheat crop...principally pumpkins. I figure I can get them germinated and started growing..and then harvest the wheat right off of the top of them..and then they'll have a nice mulch to lay on to keep them clean. Buuuuuuuut here's the rub. When the farm bill is written..the special interest groups (i.e. the vegetable growers) got it written into the bill...that if a farmer with no "history" of growing vegetables wants to grow some..he has to surrender part of his "base" acreage of coarse grains. That means..if I want to grow a vegetable crop..I have to surrender a certain amount of money that the Govt. would pay me. I have no problem with that...but here's where it gets really stupid. If I do surrender that "base" acreage..and the resulting payment that goes with it..I never get that acreage or payment back. Never. If my vegetable growing experience goes sour...I will never get the opportunity to compete with the neighboring coarse grain farmer on an equal footing again. This definately throws a wet blanket on any innovative ideas I may have about growing a different and potentially more profitable crop. Does this sound like the way a Govt. should be promoting our food supply? Like I said...If I had to give up the payment...it wouldn't be a problem...but when they add that little asterix on there that says "you never get it back"...I'm no fool..I'm going to stick with what they want me to do.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 30
view profile
History
vegetable gardens
Posted: 3/31/2009 6:20:33 PM
Mik...you have it right with the acidity on blueberries..they really love an acid soil. If one plants them in a pot..a good idea is to add quite a bit of peat to the potting soil...and possibly fertilize them with some Aluminum Sulfate...and Ammonium Sulfate. The sulphur helps lower the soil's pH...making it ideal for blueberries. I planted some blueberries last year in some large pots..and they looked good all summer...but really didn't grow much. To overwinter them..I merely pulled them up close to the house. They got the cold and the wind all winter..and it looks like they're budding again this spring..so it must not bother them. I'm hoping to see some growth this year..but don't think they will put any berries on ...Maybe next year...I'll let you know..
 mik1950
Msg: 31
vegetable gardens
Posted: 4/2/2009 5:13:19 AM
pupdaddy...do you have any land thats lying fallow right now?...couldnt you do pumpkins in a fresh patch of land?...
what a lot of growers here do is sell their produce by what they call "garden gate" marketting...ie...one year i needed cukes for pickling...couldnt find them anywhere for love nor money...but i took a drive out in the boonies until i saw a sign on the roadway..."fresh cukes"...apparently there are different rules and regs here in canada for growers that sell right from the farm rather than sell to retailers
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 32
view profile
History
vegetable gardens
Posted: 4/3/2009 2:57:19 PM
Mik...yes...I have a couple small pastures that really aren't being useful any more...but that's part of the deal. The Govt. won't let me bring that land into crop production. The point really was..that the Govt. controls the price of food in the US..whether we believe it or not...and those that have the most lobbying dollars..control the Govt.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 33
view profile
History
vegetable gardens
Posted: 4/3/2009 3:06:48 PM
Buggsy...if a plant has been cross pollinated by another plant...then it is a genetically modified plant. We have been doing that for centuries. The heirloom varieties you like...are all examples of selective pollination...that means..they have been selected as the types of plants that someone found some value..or interest in. Now..."Hybrid" plants...are plants that won't naturally cross polinate...and they are the ones that the seeds won't hold the qualities of the parent plant. Hybrid varieties have been bred to resist disease, insects..and in some cases tolerate soil conditions (i.e. highly saline soils from irrigation). The plants you don't care for are the ones that genes from another source have been inserted into. That means they have qualities that won't ever be naturally found in any of their species. Some examples will be plants that produce pharmaceuticals that we will be able to use to fight disease. Somewhere we have to come to grip with the fact..that science is going to do it's best to help us survive on this planet..and yes there will be some things we probably shouldn't have done...but that we're going to need the all the help we can get at some point from the scientific community.
 atticus06
Msg: 34
vegetable gardens
Posted: 5/15/2009 5:18:02 PM
roseboot and mike,
there is an older gent by me that does a similar thing but he uses old tires,first when they come up he adds a tire and plants again and keeps doing this till he has several layers.then when its time to pick ya just flip a tire off and pick by layer.
atticus
 atticus06
Msg: 35
vegetable gardens
Posted: 5/15/2009 5:22:27 PM
sorry , im talking about potato planting.
 mik1950
Msg: 36
vegetable gardens
Posted: 5/16/2009 10:19:55 AM
Dreamer1948...i have grown eggplant here but they are all runty..my other tpes of squash do well tho...spaghetti squash does fine here...i will be planting some...i may try eggplant again tho...
pumpkins do very well also...in fact i am making two pumpkin pies as we speak from pumpkins that i grew last year...if its cooked and shredded or mashed or whatever...you can ziploc it and freeze it...
my zuchinni goes mental almost every year...i think there was an earlier post about someone askin if 6 zuchinni plants would be enough...i just smiled to myself...they do like to sprawl and they will get to be a helluva size if you let them...a few yrs back i had one "rogue" zuchinni that i decided to let grow...at the time i harvested it...the sucker weighed in at 24 pounds...
just for a laugh i brought it to the market to display at my table...but i dressed the monster up...i put a little cowboy hat on him...drew a face with magic marker...put some toy 6-shooters on him and found a pair of kids boots and propped him up on my table...sure as shootin some yuppie type wanted to buy it...i said its not really for sale...but they really wanted it so i siad...make me an offer i cant refuse...she pulled out 20 bucks...so i said come back just before closing and its yours...when they get that size they aint much good for much..'cept maybe zuchinni loaf...
the best size for my palate is maybe 12 inches long...cut into thick slices...zuchinni parmagianna...mmmm
but check with other gardeners in your climate zone to see what kinds of squash are best suited there
 mik1950
Msg: 37
vegetable gardens
Posted: 5/18/2009 3:12:45 AM
eyes...i hope you planted the chives in a separate secluded spot...iff'n you didnt they will spread like crazy...what i did with my chives...(and how i got them)
i was mowing the lawn one day and as the mower passed over one spot i thought i could smell onions...i thought...wtf...passed over the are again...more oniony smell...2x wtf...
next time the grass needed mowing i went to the oniony smelling place and snooped around...found some tufts of greenery ...picked a blade or two and crushed it in my hand...hmm...chives...i took my digging tools and dug it all out...then transplanted it into the edge part of my garden...my garden border consists of building bricks...the big kind with the square holes in'em...with the holes facin up...i filled the holes in about 4 bricks with soil and put the chives in there...they have been comin up quite happily there every yr...and that was about 12 yrs ago...
ps...i grow my green onions in the holes in the bricks along the front edge of the garden too
 karma1160
Msg: 38
vegetable gardens
Posted: 5/18/2009 8:45:45 AM
Yes I have planted tomatoes, peppers, peas, spinach, lettus, and herbs and a few broccoli plants .
I plant my lettus and spinach in containers as long as you keep it thin and don't overwater this is a great way to have fresh greens . Then you just snip them off as you use them.
 mik1950
Msg: 39
vegetable gardens
Posted: 5/18/2009 8:23:47 PM
karma...is zimmerman minnesota named after bob dylan?
Messages this short may not be posted...Messages this short may not be posted...Messages this short may not be posted...Messages this short may not be posted...Messages this short may not be posted...
 mik1950
Msg: 40
vegetable gardens
Posted: 5/20/2009 7:37:57 AM
yay...i borrowed my neighbours roto-tiller...now i can bust up my garden and mix in my peat moss and composted ewe poo...
we had rain last night eyes...but its supposed to go up to +25...
i hope you didnt put bedding out plants in yet eyes...
last year was crappy for gardening...too much rain too soon....
i planted 8 cukes from bedding out plants last year...5 of'em drowned one night...and i think the others committed suicide
 mik1950
Msg: 41
vegetable gardens
Posted: 5/20/2009 1:36:58 PM
i buy cukes and tomatoes as bedding out plants eyes...at least i know that they are alive when i put them in the ground...
i got the rest of the garden roto-tilled now...yay!!...
took about 20 min with the tiller...prolly woulda taken 4 days by hand...got the peat moss spread out...gonna put the poo in tomorrow and give everything another good grinding with the machine...then rake it smooth and pluck out any wayward bits...hopefully get most of the stuff planted this weekend...
the worlds climate is sure changing from when i was a kid...
ya think all that A-bomb testing they did in the late 40's early 50's did somethin to the environment?...there was a blast in russia that sent a mushroom cloud somethin like 60 miles into the air...i think the shock waves circled the globe 4 times before they dissipated...that kinda force coulda easily knocked the earth off its axis...
be afraid...be very afraid...2012 is rapidly approaching
 Bfriends4now
Msg: 42
view profile
History
vegetable gardens
Posted: 5/21/2009 6:17:33 PM
Does anyone here who grows veggies live in South Florida? i use to be big into that.
 mik1950
Msg: 43
vegetable gardens
Posted: 5/21/2009 7:40:34 PM

Mik, can I just put zuchinni seeds into the garden without starting them out as seedlings?

yes...but for the amount of zuchinni you need its worth the extra few bucks to buy them as plants already...up to you tho...at most all you will need is about 4 plants likely
 mik1950
Msg: 44
vegetable gardens
Posted: 5/22/2009 4:14:59 AM
lol@garden guru...the thumbs on both my left hands aint exactly green eyes...
i bought most of my bedding out plants yesterday...and only two zuchinni...
eyes...just for a laugh...once yours start growing...leave the biggest on on the vine as long as possible...you will see how big those suckers get...you will be amazed...
i had one "pet" zuchinni in the garden once before that was turning rogue on me but some little b@stard raided the garden and swiped it
 Moonchild51
Msg: 45
view profile
History
vegetable gardens
Posted: 5/22/2009 7:33:10 AM
As changing as the weather is these days, I have often found it advantageous to buy my veggies as bedding plants. Gives them that extra strength they need to surive. Be careful of frost though!
 Bfriends4now
Msg: 47
view profile
History
vegetable gardens - problems with onions
Posted: 3/16/2010 1:58:25 PM
Here in S. Florida I planted onion sets nine weeks ago. I have read they take 60 days. I pulled one up, i now have a lot!! of fresh chives. I thought i might have an onion, 3" diameter, but all I had was a scallion!!! Any ideas?? Perhaps I should wait longer, trim the tops low, and /or give them wood ash [ from hardwood charcoal from grilling out] which is high in K the third number - - good for root plants. Tom
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >