Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 celts123
Msg: 60
Whats the problem with long hair on a guy ?Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Nothing is necessary wrong with it. Some women simply aren't attracted to men with long hair or bald men. Just like some men aren't attracted to women with short hair.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Whats the problem with long hair on a guy ?
Posted: 4/15/2009 10:30:35 AM
^^^ That would be the frontman from the now-defunct band Pantera, for those of you who aren't into heavy metal music.

Yea, I had to google it.

<div class='quote'>Some women will like it some wont.
This makes it sound like a 50/50 sort of thing, which it's not. It's more like 90/10 (or 95/5) against long hair on men. Women are very style conscious, and right now the dominant style is for short or very short hair on men.

If you're going to have long hair as a guy it has to be stylish - i.e., you have to be either a rock star type, a hippie type, a biker type, a reggae/dreadlocks type, or some other plausible stylish type. IOW, it has to "fit" the "part" they think you represent, and they have to like that "part" in a guy. You're not allowed to have it just because you like it. Well, you are, but...
 Mr-Amazing
Msg: 68
Posted: 4/15/2009 10:50:17 PM
OP, there is nothing wrong with long hair. Technically long before language, the wheel, or even fire. There was hair.

Then came anthromorphization and men in caves weaving tall tales of “how did we get here?” And “god” or “gods” were born. Then came “control” and how to enslave a fellow human. Then came Indoctrination and the results of generation after generation of people being submitted to such artificial notions.

Women (whether they will admit it or not) by default are attracted to long hair on men. It simply is the “default” look of a man. Now is long hair the “common?” Nope. Not in this day and age. Keep in mind though “normal” isn’t apart of the equation.

So like I said some women have either convinced themselves or they have had family/society convince them that there is something *WRONG* with long hair on men. When the truth is all along there never was.
 Mr-Amazing
Msg: 69
Posted: 4/16/2009 1:09:17 AM

maybe it's the midwesterner in me but it looks too feminine

Come what an offensive thing to say. I also happen to be midwestern (with ancestry from WI/MI that dates back to the end of the last ice age.)

What if wearing “white clothing” was feminine? You really should think before you post inflammatory remarks.

I have several buddies, an older brother and a nephew (bro's kid) who all have long hair and pretty much all of them have women in their lives. I don't see how any of them (personal males I know) are "feminine?"
 thwipp89
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 1:58:22 AM
"Come what an offensive thing to say. I also happen to be midwestern (with ancestry from WI/MI that dates back to the end of the last ice age.) What if wearing “white clothing” was feminine? You really should think before you post inflammatory remarks."

sir, this is my opinion. where i grew up, guys pretty much had short hair, girls had long hair. i also grew up during the 80's when a lot of the hair band guys had "pretty" hair and wore make-up and used all kinds of product in their hair. i also associate long haired guys with hippies, who never came off as all that masculine. i see long hair on guys as being a bit androgynous. this is my opinion and short hair is my personal preference. there is no "right" answer.

if you prefer long hair on yourself, be my guest. personally, i think it looks a little silly/ridiculous on guys (especially grown men) but to each their own. variety is the spice of life, it's a free country and all that jazz. rock on, david lee roth circa 1980

fancynanci
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 12:20:31 PM
Long hair, short hair...I just love hair.....any length!
 forum101
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 9:05:05 AM
most guys cannot pull of long hair. They let it grow without thought of style or maintenance.
My boss, is one of the few men I have seen pull it off and make it look good. He keeps it back in a low pony tail. Looks good with a suit, which he wears daily. I guess if your classy, you could pull it off, like my boss. Most of the guys Ive seen with long hair look scroungy and unkempt. Wash it daily, trimmed every 6 weeks or so, and get it out of your eyes.
 Yankee_Girl
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 9:27:38 AM
I can not date a man with prettier hair than me. Ditto for having more expertly applied eye liner.
 canukflowerchild
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 3:32:41 PM
I agree with you BDJ...quite frankly I think long hair is sexy and if it makes you stand apart...oh well! At least you aren't one of the sheep!
 VivaciousVixen2010
Msg: 94
Posted: 4/18/2009 6:52:21 PM
if it has a nice style or cut..mmmmmmmm HOTT HOTT HOTT HOTT and SEXXY
 bearclanwoman
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2009 8:19:09 PM
No problem at all. Hair is a man's best feature in my eyes. I love long hair; as long as it is well maintained. So yes, keep it long.
 NO GODDESSES HERE
Msg: 101
Posted: 4/30/2009 1:29:48 PM
ive never had a problem IN FACT
most women ive dated wont let me cut my hair.....
ive wanted to for years.. but the gals just wont let me...
so its true.. to each their own right.

but im single now.. so im gonna cut it fast... lol
 techgirl27
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2009 10:51:19 AM
Nothing's wrong per se. But just like anyone else with longer hair, it takes more maintenance and I'd expect him to keep it clean and healthy. Besides I tend to find these folks are usually more open, expressive, and possibly more creative or artistic.

I'd rather be with a guy with an abundant head of hair than a mirror on top any day!
 glamrockchick36
Msg: 109
Posted: 5/7/2009 8:14:32 PM
i love long haired guys. i wont date a guy unless he has long hair.
 techgirl27
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2009 11:58:20 PM
The thing about hair on guys, enjoy them while they got it, 'coz once its gone its gone.
It doesnt grow back.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 115
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:14:18 AM
I don't see anything wrong with long hair on a man. I think long hair on a man(as in at least shoulder length) is very sexy. OP it isn't just you, all men look like a "tool" with short hair. I would find it very difficult to become involved with a man that had short hair.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 124
Posted: 5/30/2009 4:37:59 PM

Long hair on a man is a strong statement- you either carry it off very well or you dont - there is no imbetween and women will spot that a mile off.

Very few men can carry it off.

I must strongly disagree. Short hair only looks good on males under the age of 5. Short hair on an adult man just looks nasty. It makes their head look like a different body part. I might add one that females don't have.

As to gender roles. I don't believe in gender roles, just be yourself rather than trying to fit into some role society feels you should be in.

I will never understand if I lived forever where it became normal for males to cut thier hair above their ears.
 VivaciousVixen2010
Msg: 129
Posted: 11/4/2009 8:32:32 PM
i love longer hair on a man
as long as it it not matted
i like it brushed
no baseball caps.
what is it about men with baseball caps?
women hate those pictures! we want to see you.
not some baseball cap!
longer hair ROCKS
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2009 12:41:02 AM
those longhaired guys should just be LINED UP AND SHOT!
 joemac356
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2009 11:28:27 AM
The last time my hair was shorter than the 1964 Beatles look, was...uh...1964.
My hair has been as long as down to my butt, long enough to sit on the end of it. I've gone for years at a time with a pony tail. I get tired of it and cut it back to the '64 length and style. I kept it cut for a dozen years for the spouse, then I didn't want the resentment I was harbouring, so it grew out again. Almost every time I've gotten it cut, it was for someone else. Since there hasn't been a "someone else" for the last couple of years, it's growing out, again. Long hair has never presented a problem for me, other than other people's reactions to it. That's their problem.
It was suggested that I cut it for dating purposes, to which I laughed.
If you want me, the hair is part of me. It's not a statement, it's what occurs when I don't make the statement that I'm willing to conform to someone else's preference.
If you've got it, flaunt it. I've still got it, so I'll flaunt it.
You don't like it? Too bucking fad. I don't want to fraternise with someone who prefers it cut short. I've always preferred long hair, on both genders.
The woman of my dreams prefers long hair. On both genders.
We are who we are.

Cynderella
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2009 9:27:44 PM
Long hair is a bonus here, short is not a deal breaker either...

I am not sure why long is so attractive to me...maybe cuz I am a hairdresser.
 Restore_the_4th_Amendment
Msg: 140
Posted: 3/30/2011 2:22:11 AM
What's wrong with long hair on a guy? Answer: NOTHING AT ALL! It's total stupidity why many people have a problem with it under most circumstances. Up until roughly 500 A.D. almost all men wore their hair long. It was the poor and enslaved who were forced to wear their hair short before then. Jesus Christ is shown with long hair. Christians all praise and respect Him, but when society acts nasty to those men who have long hair today it just proves they're church going hypocrites and are not acting in the spirit of their faith!

It may come as a shock to many here, but in the Eastern Orthodox Christian faith, male long hair is considered to have positive connotations regarding it. If you read the New Testament verses in their entirety and carefully enough, it allows men to have long hair too. There in fact is no prohibition that exists! The problem is people have personal preferences based on how they were raised and don't care to admit that it is okay scripturally. These people make the Bible say things it is not intending to in the way they interpret it. Though honestly, the scriptures don't really encourage long hair on men either, except regarding the sidelocks and beard under normal circumstances. I'm not talking about the Nazarite vow.

On a different matter: My current girlfriend is totally in love with my long locks as I am with hers! In fact we had sex together after meeting for the first time within 30 minutes! If you're going to say that male long hair is a turn off to women then you obviously haven't been in contact with enough of the right ones yet who literally go wild for it! If I lost my hair my girlfriend wouldn't have looked twice at me for dating!!! That's no joke either!

Geography, demographics and culture though play a big part in this matter. Certain parts of the country and world are more friendly to long hair on men (and on women too), other parts of the country and world it can be literally next to impossible to get by with.

The bottom line is if you live in an area that is hostile or very unfriendly to long hair, your cultural preference and identity, the best thing you can do is move to a place more promising regarding this issue. This is what the Biblical Abraham had to do.
 Restore_the_4th_Amendment
Msg: 143
Posted: 3/30/2011 11:46:02 AM
Yes, that was my point. He had to move away from a society that was unbefitting and not geared towards him or his purpose (whether or not G-d was the factor involved). There are times since the beginning of time where people must move in order to live better or even survive.
 BookWormFairy2011
Msg: 149
Posted: 10/26/2011 9:18:51 PM
Absolutely nothing. There is no problem with long hair on guys. Some women, such as myself, think it's attractive. You already hit the nail on the head: it's a preference, nothing more.

Perhaps some women equate long hair on men to being a bad boy (I don't), and wish to avoid this type. Or others who simply just like another look.
 SharkByte81
Msg: 156
Posted: 10/30/2011 12:13:19 PM
This is kind of a sticky subject for me because my opinion tends to clash with itself. I think that if you like yourself with long hair then you should keep it long and to heck with what everyone else thinks. Some where out there is a girl who would love to run her fingers through it. It's your preference, do what you want to do but understand that many people do not have the same preference that you do.

Personally I think 90% of guys with long hair look like complete tools that I will never have to compete with in the job interview process. However I will admit, there are some guys out there that long hair works for.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >