Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > In your early 30's do you find yourself being picky about looks?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SassySky
Msg: 26
In your early 30's do you find yourself being picky about looks?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Am I the only one finding this to be more specific the older I get?

I dont' find that I am pickier about looks so much as compatibile lifestyles. I want to be able to share thoughts, dreams, goals, all physical activity with someone compatible. In my 20's I will admit it was more about looks than the inner beauty.
 Mel1509
Msg: 27
view profile
History
In your early 30's do you find yourself being picky about looks?
Posted: 1/8/2010 11:49:22 AM
Just the opposite for me. I think when your younger, yes, looks matter so much more, but as I've matured I look more for character, kindness, compatibility, and most importantly, a sense of humour. Beauty fades and sometimes a very good looking person can seem ugly if they have a rotten character, I've met people like this.
 ToughLuv1984
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/8/2010 12:01:12 PM
Where does this topic even come from? Seriously... but it has been done to DEATH...

Yes, looks matter.

I'm really tired of hearing men say, "We are visual creatures." LOL... anyone with EYES is a visual creature. That includes women. When the other shoe drops and they are being judged for how they look they wanna get huffy. That amuses me.

OP, are women are beating down your door right now? (you being: pudgy, balding, pasty white, no style). I think its pretty hilarious you are here talking about how 'selective' you are! Please elaborate where your vast pool of suitors is that you are selectively choosing from? Right.... pointless thread.
 lovemysox27
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/8/2010 12:57:07 PM
I agree. The messages I get on here are from men to old for me even though it says I prefer younger men on my profile or men I just am not physically attracted to. That is probably why this site barely works everyone is so picky about looks. But I eat right and also expect the guy to do the same. Florida is the worst place to date too many rednecks where I am. I am moving back to nc this summer so odds may increase for me. Looks matter to everyone no lie there.
 Vagabond1975
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/8/2010 2:43:14 PM

You tend to go after the kind of people your attracted to.

erhm...
yes.. and red hair gets wet in the rain....

but yes it seems that interenet dating is only for a select group...
sarcasm for instance, does'nt come across to good when messaging.. lol

but it has it's pro's... at least you're not a slave to what you see and smell right..?
so the one part of the brain that calls out some "clicks and glottal stops", is'nt making you wake up the next morning with a hangover in someone's bad you don't remeber the name of...

just saying..

(and no I am not a sailor!)
 Renwa
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/9/2010 6:08:42 AM
I wish guys werent so picky I dont think I am that ugly and I dont even get half repsones that I send on here I am a little picky but good grief the guys in my town act like u need to be a plastic barbie doll in everyway shape and form
 sugania
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/9/2010 9:27:00 AM
im pickier but its about smells, teeth and skin ...when i was younger i remember being more attracted to a certain 'look'..bad boy type now its more how does he smell, i remember seeing a man guzzlling from a 2l cola bottle and that was the deal breaker for me...and broken teeth are never good..that and broken blood vessles are over his face..i think we just get more aware of a person as we get older and why they look the way they do...and we can decide if we want that in our lives..
 lovemysox27
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/9/2010 9:59:19 AM
That is men everywhere hun. The funny thing is the guys that want the barbie dolls get them and dont understand why they get cheated on or used.
 juanmaurice76
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/9/2010 11:07:23 AM
and amen again. I say: date those people you are attracted to ! Who cares what other people think that is an EGO THING. The thing is is that we live in a society now that is PC and we try to appease people but we can't . I am visually stimulated like some men so the look has to be there first but as an older dude the package has consist of more than that. To hell with those loser and any loser thats says it's shallow; they are scared to date who they want so they just settle and hate on anyone else who goes after what they want. TO HELLL WITH GUILTAND SELF DOUBT; DATE THOSE PEOPLE WHO YOU ARE ATTRACTED AND TO HELL WITH THOSE WHO ARE AGAINST IT
 burger68
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/9/2010 12:31:43 PM
I've never known a single person who dated someone just to be politically correct or because they didn't want to hurt someone's feelings. People date who they want to date and they don't care if anybody thinks it's shallow. What the hell are you people talking about?
 GICowgirl
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/9/2010 7:26:13 PM
I totally agree! I think you have to have a spark with someone to even have the desire to get to know them better. But it's not just looks, it's alot of things....physical attraction, sense of humor, intelligence, and yes even smell and voice play into it too. And I think the older I get the pickier I am.....
 savepolarbears
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/9/2010 10:32:16 PM
"OP, please stop using dime-store sociobiology to explain away your shallowness. You look foolish."
^^^^^^^
Msg 15 is the best here lol
 dbedazzling
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/10/2010 2:06:51 PM
For me its not looks but definately chemistry/attraction n spark......without that the other peron is just a friend with a nice peronality.
 Juste moi Danielle
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/10/2010 3:47:18 PM
At 53, I'm still basically attracted to the same kind of men/looks I've always been attracted to (sad I know not to mention the trouble it has gotten me into;).

The only difference really between now and then is that now I'm (usually? hopefully? please gawd???) capable to infuse at least some degree of logic in what is for all intents and purposes, illogical (at least it is for me).

Also, long gone is my need to apologise for and/or defend my preferences...being old has it's perks believe me...the liberation has been... well...liberating (to say the least).
 pettt30
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/11/2010 8:12:16 PM
When it comes down to it I am looking at three things:

Looks, I would like someone to look younger than they are and hold themselves up well. But I also at the sametime look for people that think I am attractive, granted I know I am not a 10 or an 8.

Age, I would rather date someone younger than my self by as much as 8 years or less. They are I hope out of the partying stage and thinking about having a family.

Lifestyle, are they wanting to play the role of a Long term relationship and not going to flake out or run at the turn of reality.

Here is my two pennies.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/11/2010 8:24:40 PM

Also, long gone is my need to apologise for and/or defend my preferences...being old has it's perks believe me...the liberation has been... well...liberating (to say the least).

d6racer
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2010 8:50:55 PM
I agree, looks are important.
The only people who think that is shallow are those who are not pleased with their own looks. Kind of like broke people believing money is the root of all evil. LOL
I know that is harsh, but sometimes the truth hurts.

I wasn't at one point happy with my weight so I did something about it.
I don't set my standards too high, but I do expect somebody to live up to the same standards I try and live my life by. I don't ask anything of a mate that I would not do myself. Asking somebody to lower those standards is no different then asking a religious person to stop looking for somebody who shares the same or similar beliefs.

For those who say they would rather have a good sense of humor, personality, etc, that is all good but their has to be an initial attraction first before you get to that point were personality clicks. Sure, you may eventually get bored with the looks when you find out they have no personality, but when was the last time you went out and met somebodies personality first.

Physical attractions always come first and later you you decide if you are emotionally compatible.
 Miss W
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/13/2010 10:28:27 PM

I'm finding it more an more difficult to find people that I am attracted to now that I am in my 30's.

Oh yeah? Wait until you are pushing 50 and then some...this isn't about looks, it's about what comes out of some of their mouths. Some people just don't get it...but then others find each other.
 Miss W
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/13/2010 11:19:54 PM
^^And I truly wish you well. Finding one to put up with our crap and accepting us as we are is truly something to behold and in some cases truly a freakin' miracle at any age.

Hey...if you make it to the cooky making monastary, you will be making someone happy, if not yourself for the smiles that it may bring upon others. I used to say that I would end up in a convent (and I'm not Catholic!), although alone and 50, I am so very far away from that...it's a good thing and there is hope for I'm happy and having fun! Off to the rocker, taking my teeth out and making sure that I have a good shot of Geritol.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/16/2010 2:06:16 PM

But let's be real. You tend to go after the kind of people your attracted to.

I would hope so. That's not shallow, that's called common sense.

I hate to admit it, but the kind of woman I'm attracted to is a specific body and face and scent.

Scent? Yes, you have been watching too much Animal Planet. I can see how it'd unknowingly draw you more to a girl who was "barely 2nd place" over the 1st girl in your prospects, sure. But to deny hot-bodied, charming & intelligent women because they don't wear the perfume you like is really really odd.

Am I the only one finding this to be more specific the older I get?

I think we all want someone who we're physically attracted to. For the desperate and lonely with little sex drive, it may not be of much importance anymore, and they think everyone's shallow for liking looks (and they're usually not exactly the easiest on the eyes, either).

I don't think we get more picky about looks. In some ways we do, in terms of visualizing how they'll look in 20 years. You can see their aging process taking shape and see what direction their hips, a$$, face, skin is going. You think about that a lot more in your 30s than your 20s. But...
- We're more picky in looks at a young age, and don't think about the future as much.
- Ever look in the year book and see a really cute gal who wasn't that popular and think 'wow, why didn't I like her?' -- your taste on looks was more stringent.
- We're more picky in personality and matchability at a later age, because we've been through things, and gotten to know long-term human interaction better, and ourselves better.
 FluffyBrain
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/17/2010 11:53:32 PM
op,
in your 20's and 30's, everyone's younger and tends to look better. it seems as men get about 45+, the tend to think they're 35-40, that's what they go for. so you'll probably notice in the next 10 yrs or so. everything else you get a little pickier about too...afterall, you've worked hard for you have so far, so you don't necessarily wanna share it with the party animal girls down the street...that was probably ok in your 20's when were partying with them, but even then you knew it it wasn't gonna last. anyway, as you get older, you're more established, you make more, etc, etc, so you also have a lot more to lose, so there's more rifding on making better choices. for a while, late 20's to early 40's you'll find women a tad scarce cuz a lot are married with kids. all that starts changing again as you hit late 30's and beyond with all the divorces. your mind changes as situations change...but yeah, let's face it we all would like that perfect physical specimen who has the perfect career (men & women here) and perfect life! especially in your 30's where not yet to the point of seeing the benefits of having one's freedom. when you get to that point, you get a little less picky mainly because you don't to make it permanent with anyone...it's just like in your 20's when anyone cute will do...but when you're in 30's and if you still wanna marry, then just not anyone will do. like i said, after a divorce, you'll be reliving your foot loose 20-something bachelor's days. it's odd, because i actually prefer people in their 20's over people in their 30's for precisely those reasons. eveyone's just hanging out looking for fun....and no one's settling down, so less picky. maybe the 50's people get serious about dating & marrtiage again, so they get pickier again! the whole thing is relative, really.
 Bohemian702
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/21/2010 12:37:10 PM
You right the older we get the more pick. After all who wants to be around someone fat, old and discusting?
 sunfish703
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/25/2010 8:39:15 AM
I was never picky about looks.
 DoctorRain
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/2/2010 3:32:37 PM
Ok Im gonna respond to this whole ad by saying that I am 29, very picky, and proud of having standards because I dont want to lower them. I am bisexual and have certain girls I like, certain guys I like. I am picky and proud of it.
 TheReason_
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2010 12:55:47 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
Your rant has already been discussed. Please use the search function.

I'm with you brother. Nothing like wading through a 40 page post. Let's keep this place active and I say ban a the naysayers. If you vote to delete = ban.

Oh well, I imagine those people are really fun to have around. I can see them at a party

"can we talk about something else, this has already been discussed.

Lol

:facepalm:
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > In your early 30's do you find yourself being picky about looks?