Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 29
Can God be challenged conversationally? Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Would you agree too that fools seldom differ, or should we agree to disagree (just to be on the safe side)?

Although I usually don't stand on the safe side, we'll let that issue rest. (Evil grin.)
 parklabrea
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Can God be challenged conversationally?
Posted: 4/4/2009 6:34:24 PM
God doesn't talk to me, but he carries on long conversations with the Burning Bush in my yard.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/5/2009 9:36:21 AM

If i make a claim that my god is the one true god or if anybody else makes a claim that their god is the one true god what exactly do they need to prove?

That the claim might have a shred of truth perhaps? That it's not the product of a diseased mind maybe?

...exactly not a ****ing thing because you nor anybody else can not prove that their god is not the one true god. if however you can provide proof that their one true god is not the one true god then by all means SHOW your proof or simply stfu and let them have their beliefs in peace.

As I said in post 35, the onus is on the person making the claim to substantiate it, assuming they expect to be taken seriously. Any other position is ridiculous.
If anyone should "stfu", it would be the people who don't just enjoy "their beliefs in peace", but persist in making claims they can't substantiate.

Ya know i probably should take a writing class wherin i explain to people again to PEOPLE that i was not refering to a single person as being stupid as their is no such thing as a stupid person, just a person that makes stupid choices,
but then again some people have mental problems that are not their fault.

No comment.
 JustDukky
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/5/2009 10:11:28 AM

God is limitless

How do you know that?
 JustDukky
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/5/2009 10:18:51 AM

Know Spirit and you will know God

Your offer is conditionally accepted subject to proof of your claim.
 JustDukky
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/5/2009 10:06:33 PM
Yes, it is just my word.The proof comes to all who walk in Spirit and imposable to convey to all that don't.

That is the proverbial sound of one hand clapping. It cannot be communicated, but only understood by one of like mind.

It is not a claim to be proved, but a statement of belief and therefore accepted on that basis for its face value by anyone who shares that belief and universally rejected by those who don't. (But then, that's what you said, isn't it.)
 aremeself
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2009 12:44:20 AM
maybe a small challange every few million years. [if there is a god, right?]

we should challenge him all the time with our questions. eg[how can you live with all those people in that hell place that was built for just that purpose?]
or ask him if it was built before or after he created man.
richard prior had a good joke about god, love, and hell.
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/13/2009 10:59:16 AM

Yes, it is just my word.The proof comes to all who walk in Spirit and imposable to convey to all that don't .

It is my word that I have a giant seven food spider in my closet at home. Nobody has ever seen it but me. It is just my word, but the proof comes to all who walk in Spirit and impossible to convey to all that don't.
 aremeself
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2009 4:22:50 PM
just answering #57

I believe direct, was the very first form of comunication. [srewed it up almost immediately, I believe] didnt work either. free will thing again.
 johnzzz
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 6:33:30 PM
i think he would be bored. after all conversationally their would be no conflict because what would one debate with god its worse than debating with a woman exeped he would actually be corrected because as far as i understand he would be correct because he is god and according to religion god sets the moral standard where as a woman may always win the argument it usally threw stubbern refusal to aknowledg defeat...lol god arguing with a chick now that would be intresting.(no nookie for me tonight). anyways imagin haveing nothing to discover, no surprises,knowing everything like the outcome of all your faverite sports games i think the only conversation with god would either be advice or dictation. he would be bored so thats why he invented us so he could play practical jokes with us for all eternity after all god cant interfere with free choice so their for people are unpredictable thus entertaining to god.
 Wunderkindt
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 1:25:26 AM
“God” stopped “talking” around 600 BC with the breakdown of the bicameral mind.

Since that time, man has been searching for the “voices” that he has lost: “My God! My God! Why hast thou forsaken me?”.

Occasionally, the “voices” resurface in moments of extreme stress or in schizophrenia.
 aremeself
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2009 11:14:31 AM
the bible is some book. many have little use for it .
I would think you would have to believe in an inteligent designer before spiritualy understanding it, and even then it could take a while.

as far as challenging god, if you think he is doing something wrong, yes definitely. how else are you to learn his ways? I dont think you even have to believe in him, although it might help. humbly asking is good, even angry is ok!

ok, we might have to get over our intimidation of him a bit, after all some of us think he built the universe, and we cant build a fly. [why would we, frog food?]
 Go Rin No Sho
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2009 6:17:01 PM
Jim Morrison answered this question eloquently about 40 years ago.

(YAWN)

Next question.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2009 7:42:48 AM
If you want an interesting perspective on this, I suggest you read The Shack because it is actually explained very well. God knows what is going to happen and yet He could easily have an intellectually stimulating conversation because like a parent, while the subject is old to Him, it is not to you and He would enjoy being a part of your experience and perhaps fostering emotional and intellectual growth.

I see you don't have children which is why your child analogy is so incorrect. First of all, for the adult, having a conversation with a three-year-old is often challenging and intellectually stimulating because the adult (God in your analogy) must find a means of conveying information in a way the child will understand; age-appropriate language, and/or finding the light bulb. Children also often, sometimes too often, ask questions that they are really not capable of understanding so for the parent, the task becomes boiling a complicated topic down to something that the youngster can work with. More importantly, God loves us and doesn't require that we DO anything in order for that love to exist and like a parent, for Him to enjoy us no matter the capacity of the individual or the conversation just is.

The other area where you are way off on the kid analogy is believing that while their minds work in fairly simplistic ways because of their cognitive development, that they are not really capable of intelligent and stimulating conversation. Have you never been around kids? Even the uber young can make comments that floor you with their wisdom because they see life simply, without all of the overlays of protective b.s. in the middle of conversations because adults learn to protect themselves from emotional harm. Children are without guile and they are usually painfully honest, astute observers without the societal filters that will eventually help them unlearn this valuable skill.

Just because you know how a movie ends, is it not a good movie or are you capable of getting popcorn and enjoying the show?
 aremeself
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2009 8:42:03 PM
this thing about dying, and being resurrected, whats the big deal about it, its no more a miracle [TO ME] [gotta say that right?] than the original conception.
its just that any nincompoop [two of them] can make a baby, and no one I have met so far can raise the dead.
but at least he is all there, all you got to do is put the life back in him.
Posted: 9/28/2013 12:40:53 PM
I challenge god all the time. He sucks at conversation. Kind of an oaf. Talks to himself a lot too.
 CressB
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2013 6:02:27 PM
^^^

It's had to have a conversation with yourself. Especially, when all you do is ignor yourself all the time.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 62
Posted: 9/28/2013 10:51:06 PM

i believe man had a verry flawed concept of god, we make him masqulin{sic} and humanoid.... in my opinion the truth is it is niether, and all at the same time..., i see god as the origional life spark from when all other sparks of life came from.. filtering down threw the 11 dimentions until it hits us... we are on the lowest levle of exsistance.

^ well put! (if we look past the spelling).
 Proteaus
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/2/2013 3:48:29 PM
Before God can be challenged conversationally it first hast to be proven that there is in fact a God to challenge .
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/2/2013 4:58:12 PM

it first hast to be proven that there is in fact a God to challenge .

Existence (or non existence) of Supernatural being(s) is not subject to conventional proofs
God(s) cannot be proven to exist in the same way as electricity or black-holes do

If you've been on these type of threads for as long as you've been on POF,
then you should know this already!
 Demigod1979
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2013 7:43:34 PM

Existence (or non existence) of Supernatural being(s) is not subject to conventional proofs
God(s) cannot be proven to exist in the same way as electricity or black-holes do

If you've been on these type of threads for as long as you've been on POF,
then you should know this already!

I disagree. Although some theists state that God is beyond science, they continue to make claims that are within the realm of science. Prayers, miracles, claims made in the Bible concerning history/nature - ALL of these can be tested by science and proven/disproven.

Basically it comes down to:

1. God is beyond all natural detection - this kind of God has absolutely no influence on the natural world, therefore there is no point on prayer, worship or even recognition (you might as well behave as if God doesn't exist)

2. God influences the natural world - claims can be tested by science and proven/disproven. This kind of God is worth praying to, but is subject to the scientific method.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/22/2013 6:33:01 PM
Demi

some theists state that God is beyond science, they continue to make claims that are within the realm of science.

I'm not sure who or what you are talking about. If a "god that is beyond science" manipulates things in the Universe (that is subject to physical laws), it cannot be explained logically, and therefore it isn't "within the realm of science" thus cannot be explained by empirical means.

God is beyond all natural detection - this kind of God has absolutely no influence on the natural world,

Just because God is beyond "natural detection", does not mean he/she/it, cannot have influence on the natural world. This is a flawed premise. See the link below (which is just one small example).

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2009/0302/074_cancer_miracles.html

Btw, I'm not insinuating that the results in these cases discussed came as a result of miracles (in the classical sense); but more so to illustrate that unseen (unmeasurable, undetectable, unquantifiable) forces can impact on natural processes, such that are unexplained by empiric analysis. Whether or not a triggering event can be brought to light is anybody's guess!

therefore there is no point on prayer, worship or even recognition (you might as well behave as if God doesn't exist)

Because your antecedent premise is flawed, this ^ conclusion is not valid.

God influences the natural world - claims can be tested by science and proven/disproven.

^ another flawed statement; if an individual who has some documented fatal disease all of a sudden exhibits being cured and says that "he was visited by an angel (or demon) who effected a cure", then by what means can his story be verified and/or by what means can he be proven false!
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2013 8:14:49 PM
God does'nt have any interest in intellectual conversation with people. He was, after all watching the Tea Party Congressfolk shut down our country over the last week. God then decided garden slugs would be more intellectually stimulating to converse with than people.
 Bachelorette.Number1
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/25/2013 11:25:22 PM
Nope. God doesn't converse in the way you're referring to.

Challenged? So you don't agree with Him? It'd be like not agreeing with gravity. So, He won't care if you agree or not just like gravity doesn't give a crap whether you agree or not with it.
It's not the nature of God to care what you like or don't like. It should be your nature to look around this place and decide for yourself.
He leaves it up to you to figure out what you agree with and what you don't. You can go either way. Either way won't matter, except to you.
 _babblefish
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/26/2013 9:36:59 AM

He's like a super marine, as Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge would say, He improvises, overcomes and adapts !

the goddess siri answers my challenges via a smartphone. .
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >