Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating while unemployed      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OutMind
Msg: 26
Dating while unemployedPage 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I am with Going Sailing on this one.

This is one tough economy. Last weekend I had to lend my brother my other Jeep because he may lose his job this week and will be without an automobile. My girlfriend was laid off several months back and has not found work either. In the mean time I have been helping her. But we now live together and as tough as things are it has made us care deeper about each other, and are aware of the sacrifices we have to make.

Now if you were starting to date. Tough one. Try to get a job, somehow.
 Kimberish925
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 2:13:57 PM

guys that say I have no money lets go back to my place or yours, I will cook you dinner, and dinner ends up as Kraft Mac and Cheese or something totally disgusting, and the guy is all over them like a fat kid on a smartie

Thanks for the laugh Mahogany....I think I have been on that date...lol.
 Billabongdude06
Msg: 28
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 2:15:45 PM
Women have it so much easier when it comes to Dating and Relationships.
 CompletelyDone
Msg: 29
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 2:18:19 PM
I don't think the issue with the job he was offered was that it was below what he felt he should be his compensated but rather that it wouldn't pay enough to keep a roof over his head. There's a difference.

This is where some flexibility comes in. If the rent is higher than what a reasonable salary would pay, then it's time to find a new roof. If there's a mortgage on that expensive roof and the house can't be sold, rent it out or do what 1000's of people are doing... Change it into suites and rent them out while the owner occupies the main area...

Survival in poor economic times demands flexibility. That is, if a person really wants to survive.

Women have it so much easier when it comes to Dating and Relationships.

Oh PUHLEEESE!!! 1000's of us have been in the workforce and supporting families for YEARS!!! What purpose does it serve to continue to pretend that the men are still looking after the lil woman???
 sequoyah61
Msg: 30
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 2:24:00 PM
Geesh, bugsbro, hate women much?

Back on topic: OP, I wish you luck in your job search. I know it's difficult out there, but I'm confident you'll find something.....this recession can't last forever!

I am also confident there are women who will understand your position; some of them have posted responses here.

Keep your chin up. You seem to be an intelligent, responsible individual and that will shine through!

Sequoyah
 Billabongdude06
Msg: 31
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 2:27:00 PM
I'm sorry for my negative attitude and my lack of confidence, I obviously know that turns women off, it's just so hard for me to love my life and think positive when I have been single my entire life. I feel 21 is too old for not having a girlfriend yet. I feel I am running out of time.
 sequoyah61
Msg: 32
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 2:33:05 PM

I'm sorry for my negative attitude and my lack of confidence, I obviously know that turns women off, it's just so hard for me to love my life and think positive when I have been single my entire life. I feel 21 is too old for not having a girlfriend yet. I feel I am running out of time.

Lordy, Billabong, quit whining and stay on topic or go start your own whiney thread!

GottaDanse
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 2:53:31 PM
Rush........This years before Tupac was even a Hersey bar, or on Star Trek

Accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mr in between
~Johnny Mercer & Harold Arlen~

OP ..... Stay positive. Use this to your advantage. Maybe spend time with your adorable nephew. Might be something to do with your date (could give his parents an opportunity to go on a date).

(I would like to see this economic situation change because I'm working almost 7 days a week now ... and I want my free time back.)

P & L ........... Steve
 ~SparklingRose~
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 4:18:20 PM
OP~

What you have been offered may not be enough to cover the rent, but it's at least something coming in; and, if it's field related, then even better!

Take interviews for other possibilities during lunches at the tie-over job, IF those continue to come in... Some are facing not even getting the interviews because the market is so tight.

Just be glad you're even getting offers! ... sounds a bit spoiled to scoff at whatever you can get your hands on to bridge the gap, at this point.
 Blk_Archangel7
Msg: 35
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 4:23:24 PM
LOL Iceman (aka MahoganyRush) about kraft krap dinner,
you better send him to cooking school if people can't step up there cooking game. I'd go with Iceman's advice and focus on you doing something for yourself and the go back to dating.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 36
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 4:31:17 PM

Billabongdude06 :Women have it so much easier when it comes to Dating and Relationships.

Care to explain please? In another post you note

Our son was in his mid twenties before he was interested in dating per se. Until then it was mainly being with friends at dinners, parties etc. He had been so focused on university and his job. So dont think it's the end of the world if someone doesn't have a signifiacnt other by age 21. Get out with friends and make up your mind to change things.

~Beth
 historian1441
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 4:47:07 PM
hi rosebuds sorry you lost your job i didn't say no women lost their jobs, but i stand by my statement. the fields that have suffered the least job
losses are in education, health care and government, women dominated areas, while the big hits are being taken in manufacturing and construction, male dominated areas. instead of making smarmy remarks how about some total numbers instead of "i know a woman who got laid off". op hang in there, you've got good credentials and should be adequately employed by the middle of the summer
 classic-man
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 4:49:44 PM
Hello OP-

I can relate to your present situation in life- it can be trying-especially on the dating level-

I have mastered the dating scene myself by finding ecomical dates from cooking at home - to movies at home - to going antiqueing at local shops- going to flea markets- to going to pool halls to shoot pool to social outings with other singles - to picnics - to ARE YOU GETTING THE IDEA??- Be creative-

Honesty up front is the most important element of a relationship- NOT $$$$

If a women judges you for the amount of money you spend on them them there is a socio-ecomical problem- especially if your unemployed- possibly drawing unemployment wages- the is a diffrences between a" hotdog night" and a "T" bone steak night- If a lady doesn't understand the diffrence - she has a problem
I live on a set retirement - but am presently out of a second parttime job - earnings being extra money for dating - fishing and hunting at times?

Hopefully its not the event - but the good and entertaining atmosphere and good positive personality you exhibit during your outing-

Keep on sending out the resumes - a job will get you a job !! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!
 Billabongdude06
Msg: 39
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 6:23:35 PM
The reason why I think women have it easier when it comes to romance, dating and relationships, because it's easier for a girl to get a boyfriend than it is for a guy to get a girlfriend. The reason why is because almost all the time the man has to make the first move, approach the girl and start a conversation, and ask her out. The girl just has to approve or disapprove of it. Girls just have to stand still and wait for a guy to come to them. Us guys have to do the chasing, which I think is more hard because since girls have to wait, that means girls dont' have to deal with getting rejected.
 extrememale2004
Msg: 40
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 6:27:38 PM
If I was unemployed I would forget about dating and focus on getting a job. Last year when I was unemployed for three months that was what I did and got hired somewhere and was happy about it. It is important to be creative in dating when a person don't have a job anymore.
 Remington55
Msg: 41
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 6:36:03 PM
Your story reminds me of someone I'd met at work, he bragged of how much work experience he's had over the past 14 years he's been at our work place. His brother passed away recently & he asked if the other workers could participate in a collection as he needed to head across the country for the funeral. I asked him how much he'd set aside over the years for these types of emergencies & he stated "Nothing." Wow, I suggested that had he put aside $50 per paycheque, he would've had enough for whatever was necessary to go wherever. I gave him $20 & suggested he start planning for future emergencies. He just scoffed at me. Perhaps the next time, there won't be anyone there to help him. I've learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends entirely on our dispositions and not on our circumstances.

Just as in the world & in business, a lot of people are downsizing, so too must you... The bible talks about 7 years of good times & 7 years of lean times, a person must set aside enough to tide over those times that are lean, shouldn't they? What activities can you do without? As your income decreases, learn to live within your means... It's really that simple. I agree, that there are somethings you can do without. Eating out 5 days a week may be one of them, going to sports games, eliminating golfing (ouch, Heaven forbid), partying, travel, no-name brand clothes, etc. Learning to do more with less, that includes dating activities. It may very well be that your type of work service is no longer needed & you may have to change or alternate your career choices...

BE, DO, HAVE = BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE what you want... Learn to live within your means, even if it's nothing, & be thankful if you still have good health. Afterall, things are never so bad they can't be made worse. Happy searching...

**~Remington55~**
 Eoghan MacAoidh
Msg: 42
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 6:51:26 PM
Due to everything going on with the economy. Plant closings, cutbacks, new lines of work that didn't go well, I've taken a major pay cut in the last two years (plus the divorce). Dating has become almost impossible. Plus work hours are very detrimental to dating also (10:00 pm-6:00 am). If they're not willing to understand the situation and/or work with that, then, are they really what I'm looking for? Probably not. I'll always try to be accommodating for someone I care about (cut back on things, loose some sleep, skip a meal, add a meal), but it's got to be a two way street.

It's the sign of the times and people just need to learn to understand . Somehow keeping a Positive Attitude is a must. Make the best of what you have.
 Billabongdude06
Msg: 43
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 6:59:38 PM
It seems that women can be lazy and still get a boyfriend or date.
 Concertina
Msg: 44
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 7:01:11 PM
^That's because all the men want is sex.
 spacetolet
Msg: 45
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 7:12:08 PM
Hey you got to do something to pass the time while your out of work.

Might as well date.

Better than playing solitaire on the computer all day.
 hamango
Msg: 46
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 7:35:06 PM

That's because all the men want is sex.
That's one way to look at it. Another way is that men don't assume the worst about women.
 Yankee_Girl
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 7:55:04 PM
I'm in the same boat. Personally, I find that the casual dating I'm doing right now is a nice diversion. If I wasn't getting out, I'd probably be ready to hurl myself off a bridge by now. I'm not neglecting my job search to date, just as I would not neglect my job to date. I find it ineffective to job hunt during all 18 hours of the day that I'm awake to be couterproductive. Besides, most HR people only work until 5. Who am I going to catch in the office at this hour?

A few nights ago, my IM window popped up. This was the first contact I've had with this guy. Turns out he works in HR at a major company in my area (and probably knows lots of HR people). Well, now he knows Yankee Girl is looking for a job. If nothing comes of it, I had some pleasant conversation after an otherwise dismal day of being blown off by recruiters and rejection letters.

Oh, and I turned down an offer that far, far less than I was previously making because the job involved moving to a very small city where other opportunities in my field would be rare. I didn't see the point in uprooting my family for that. Things to seem to be picking up in my field. Hang in there, my fellow unemployees.
 CompletelyDone
Msg: 48
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 8:17:19 PM
Excellent post Remington...

His brother passed away recently & he asked if the other workers could participate in a collection as he needed to head across the country for the funeral.

I have to admit, I was shocked to read this... The company actually allowed this guy to prevail on his co-workers to donate to his travels??? Holy!! Why didn't the company just give the guy an advance on his pay rather than holding his colleagues responsible? And why didn't that bother his pride? I can't imagine doing such a thing... I'd never live down the disgrace! I thought it was bad to start a new job and find all my colleagues plaguing me with catalogues for their "side" sales to bolster their incomes. If you didn't buy something, nobody would tell you where the toner for the photocopier was... But this guy... whew!

Sorry OP.. don't mean to hijack your thread... I now return you to your regular programming...
 Tammy the cat
Msg: 49
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 8:21:43 PM
OP/currently economic conditions are very bad or dia for a lot of people world wide an you certainly not alone.Sort your ongoing expenses out an downgrade your dating expectations (not type person you are looking for but activity type an expense previously used) til you get on your feet again.Covering your own living expenses firstly is most important at present.Datewise/keep looking for the cheaper alternatives//walk in park//picnic//near a beach at all?//cook meal at home with candles//board games an cards//hired or borrowed dvd//pics//find places of interest that are free or charge little to explore//you can think more alternatives.Any women worth her salt will allow for current economic circumstances.Its a date,you arent marrying them.You will find plenty people or women in the same boat.Maybe you can add paragraph about economic conditions an lowering dating activity levels for a while on your profile.,that way the high end expectant ones will leave you alone an the more humaine ones that actually give a dam about people will make contact.You dont have to change your core values or vetting process for who or type you are after.If something is on your profile pople already have a fair idea an you dont have to say a word then.good luck with job seeking.
 discrete_contact
Msg: 50
Dating while unemployed
Posted: 3/31/2009 8:49:52 PM
Hey guy, a women won't understand your needs if you are in some trouble....and single. If you are already with a women for years and you loose your job she may cope....but if you single...and no job....hmmmm....go to Brasil man and wait and live your life. This is the moment to go and live your life. Do you want to spend more time looking for what you cannot get ?....and even if you find a job...then what? Would it make a huge difference? Not really....you still have to wait for years....and what you get? Well...letf overs my friend. The ones, others left or kicked out for "greener pastures".
Be smart and evaluate. Honestly. They don't give a shit on you.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating while unemployed