Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 3 Pit Bulls Killed by Cops...2 kids under 2 yrs old Dead      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SAguy_06
Msg: 1
3 Pit Bulls Killed by Cops...2 kids under 2 yrs old DeadPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Sad local news Today...A 7 month old child mauld to death by Grandmothers 2 pitbulls. The grandmother was fixing the child's bottle, when the dogs attacked the child...Cops had to Shoot the dogs to get to the child and grandmother. Neighbors commented that they were fearfull to walk past the grandmothers home...Said one man,"We thought this was gonna happen, we didnt know it was going to be inside the gate.

Last week a 18 month old child was mauled to death by the family pitbull. the child had gone outside to the backyard unnoticed...the dog , on a 18 foot chain, attacked the child.

Im not calling of a ban on breed. And of course you cant legeslated good parenting, but are we all at risk?

Am I at risk cuz my neighbor trains his dogs to be visious?

Can anthing be done?

A $1000 permit per dog?...Own but not breed dogs?...All dogs have to be fixed?

I dont know...What would you do?
 oddandy
Msg: 2
3 Pit Bulls Killed by Cops...2 kids under 2 yrs old Dead
Posted: 3/31/2009 3:58:50 PM
I personally consider aggressive animals to be in the same class as other deadly weapons, such as firearms. IOW, I believe people have a right to own them, but I also believe they should be held responsible when their irresponsible ownership causes harm. I see this as no different than the kid finding a pistol under the couch and shooting himself.

Granny is liable, IMO.

As far as what YOU can do, OP...if your neighbor has such animals, you may consider putting up a fence and/or letting the neighbor know that you fear the animals and will not hesitate to shoot them dead should they cross your property line.
 oddandy
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/31/2009 4:44:45 PM

Blame the *owners* not the dogs.

This is Uhmerica, we don't believe in that personal responsibility crap.
 Mountain Geek
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2009 4:48:38 PM
I think the parents should be put in jail for the death of their child -- leaving the child in a home like that is child abuse.

Grandmom goes to jail too for having the dog.

I'm with the lady that said "blame the adults"

Very sad news -- I have a week spot when it comes to kids getting hurt or dying because adults are stupid.
 oddandy
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/31/2009 5:14:58 PM
My "thread concepts" are bleeding over form one to another, but ya know.... I sorta like the insurance concept. Required solely on a per-community type basis. I'm big on homeowner's associations...I see no problem with potential property-buyers being informed that IF they choose to live in X community and IF they choose to own X or Y breed of dog, they must carry appropriate insurance.

Doesn't do anything for the dead kid, though
 SAguy_06
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/31/2009 6:23:33 PM
Tejas~heres the link... the lattest update

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Update-Police-investigate-what-prompted-fatal-dog/KCFXEPdmLkWPYwM7CBTmvw.cspx
 SAguy_06
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/31/2009 7:30:57 PM

This happens all the time because people just have to believe in their mind that their precious doggy could never hurt a fly. There are a WOPPING 4.5 million dog bites per year with almost a million requiring medical attention and over 30 thousand requiring reconstructive surgery.

I freaked out when I did a google search..."18 month child mauld by dog"..
how many hits came up...
 Twill348
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2009 7:38:51 PM
Death penalty for the owners of the dogs. Problem will take care of itself after a couple of executions.
 notregme
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2009 8:38:00 PM
pitbulls get a bad rap somtimes .but lets face it any dog can bite but with a pitbull they have more biteing power then most dogs.Ive seen some really loving pitbulls but I wouldnt trust them.Now your going to get someone that will say they never have had a problem with there pitbulls,because pitbulls are loyal to there oweners for the most part.How ever if there not use to someone and the owener isnt around CHOMP!lol.I hate to say it usely its the same type of pitbull oweners that have problems.And are never falted when the dog bites.If your accountable for you kids actions in the eyes of
law.Why not your dogs too.Neglegents is a crime too.:modhammer:
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2009 10:11:58 PM
I've read that more than half of all dog attacks and most fatalities are caused by pitbulls. If the news media reported every pitbull attack, people would think twice about getting them. The owners of these dogs should serve time when their animals injure or kill people.
 barbee1970
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/31/2009 11:27:38 PM
Any dog could maul someone to death. I have an article here about a baby was mauled to death in Bourbonais, Illinois by the family's Siberian Husky. People need to monitor children around all dogs always.

A neighbor who trains dogs to be vicious puts everyone at risk. I'm with Bob Barker, have dogs spayed or neutered, unless you are a responsible breeder. Look at all of the pets killed in shelters every year cause of not enough homes for them.
 notregme
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2009 10:32:31 AM
Better get one today youll be way cool.

Yes this is the owener Im talking about.And your right about people not realizing the responsibility of these dogs.A wolf can bite about 400psi, now even if a pitbull or pitbull mix only can bite at 10psi ,its enough to rip you up .I dont know ther biteing power but Im sure its high.

at my old work I used an 1" impact gun with the drive end on the palm of your hand to show what 1psi was.1" at one pound suprized a lot of people.lol
 oddandy
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/1/2009 9:32:44 PM

Death penalty for the owners of the dogs. Problem will take care of itself after a couple of executions.

Agreed. Look at what a great job the death penalty has done in curbing murders, amirite? A few thousand executions and the problem has sol...oh wait....

Sorry, but reality mocks your silly idea.
 oddandy
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/1/2009 9:35:01 PM
I've read that more than half of all dog attacks and most fatalities are caused by pitbulls

A little googling will show that you've been reading BS. Rottweilers and dalmations account for almost as many attacks as pit bulls. Verify validity, THEN form an opinion and quote on a public forum.

EDIT: I have read that shape-shifting lizard-men from the lower 4th dimension rule the world.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2009 8:13:18 AM

I dont know...What would you do?

The province where I live has already placed restrictions/bans on these animals due to their volatile nature.

The province we live in has a stupid law which does NOTHING to address owners responsibility for a canines aggressiveness, and unfairly punishes both dogs and owners of any "similar looking" breed. So if some arse from the SPCA THINKS your Tosa Inu, your Staffordshire Terrier, or even your Beagle looks like an American Pitbull, you find yourself in a whole mess of trouble and headaches. Just a bunch of politicians looking for votes because they "did something about a problem", nevermind that the problem is still there.
Dogs breed quickly enough that RESPONSIBLE breeders are able to quickly cull undesirable traits such as aggression. Where the problem lies is with the type of person that wants an aggressive animal either because they have a small endowment or watch the news and assume that every bad thing every reported is likely to happen to them and live a terrified existence.

Pitbulls were bred as fighting dogs, and as such currently are prone to aggression problems, but a strict muzzle law, and careful breeding of the most gentle and docile dogs of this breed would quickly lead to dogs as stable as Staffordshires. Perhaps an association of breeders could petition the AKC and CKC, have only Pitbulls registered that are part of such a breeding program all other Pitties to be listed as Sh1tbulls.
If those foolish people that are inclined to own a "tough" or mean dog cannot get Pitbulls they will simply choose another breed that "looks mean" like Rottwiellers. Mistreat them and breed for aggression and the same problem occurs in a few years, at that rate politicians would eventually have to ban all dogs over 25Lbs............ Not promising for my Lab/Newfie cross pup or the Boerboel I hope to acquire within the next 2 years.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2009 8:20:26 AM
Addendum:

A little googling will show that you've been reading BS. Rottweilers and dalmations account for almost as many attacks as pit bulls. Verify validity, THEN form an opinion and quote on a public forum.

Oddly enough the number one dog for biting incidents several years running was the Golden Retriever. Anyone that has experience with this breed will probably have trouble accepting that statement so look it up...... The problem stems from bad breeding (puppy mills, and inbreeding) and improper socialization of the individual dog.

hmmmm, whatever happened to dog owners are legally responsible for their dogs actions? That is still law here, perhaps it should be extended to literally charging the owner as if they personally did whatever there dog has done in contravention of the law?
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/3/2009 10:46:51 AM
Oddly enough the number one dog for biting incidents several years running was the Golden Retriever.

The incidence of dog bites per breed goes up with the popularity of the dog. Lots of goldens=lots of bites. Lots of pits=lots of bites. ALL dogs can bite, ALL dogs can be killers. In the 1950s, german shepherds were "killer dogs". In the 1970s, dobermans were. Then rotties. Now it's time for pits to be bullied (ha ha) by the media.

Although, yes, if you are taken down by a dachshund, damn, it was just your time to go! One "intellectual exercise" my friends and I play is "How many chihuahuas would it take to bring so-and-so down?" Of course, when the ski lift stops, we also talk about who we'd eat first if we get stuck up there (hint: always ride with young female vegetarians, they're the sweetest meat).
============================
Absolutely--you have a big dog, you'd better know how to discipline it. But it's not fair to blame the dog for being a dog just because he's big, and it's 'cute' when a yorkie bites you (I doubt ANYONE screams bloody murder then, and the dog isn't condemned to death).
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
 Got Trance
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/9/2009 8:38:14 AM

When I walk down the street with Tashia, people tend to cross over and walk the opposite side of the street. So instead of being seen for the beautiful animal she is, Tashia is treated as the outcast. That's ridiculous.

No, not ridiculous. Those people are just smart. You can not say, with any certainty, that your dog will not attack another person or dog. Your dog, and any dog for that matter, might take any movement by a person walking by as an aggressive one and growl, snap or outright attack.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/9/2009 8:47:03 AM

Because of ignorant owners like that. When I walk down the street with Tashia, people tend to cross over and walk the opposite side of the street. So instead of being seen for the beautiful animal she is, Tashia is treated as the outcast. Thats rediculous.

I dont fear dogs, but Im not nieve to think that even a well trained animal has the inane
abilty to strike out...And just because a species has been living among just for milinnia, doesnt mean we have bread everthing wild from their DNA...Even tame or docile animals have the capacity to turn..Ask the lady with the chimpanzee and Zigfiled and Roy.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/9/2009 10:01:33 AM
msg 79...

I used two words...tame and docile...im glad you picked the one to fit your story.

These examples are not appropropriate supportive evidence for the arugment about dogs anyway, which are anmals that have been domesticated for centuries. However, you can see example after example that though dogs have been domesticated for centuries, they can and will sometimes revert to their natural, instinctual behavior without warning

didnt I say that...?
 Got Trance
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/9/2009 12:10:11 PM
OnionHead68 you said,

Straight Bullshit! Its just like raising a child.

Wow, raising a dog is just like raising a child. I have heard everything now.
When raising children, you can do your best to instill good values and morals. But that is NOT a guarantee that they will do no wrong. They can still become rapists, thieves, dope addicts and on and on.
And there is NO way you can guarantee that your dog will not bite or attack someone. If you say you can then you are an idiot.
 Got Trance
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/9/2009 12:43:39 PM
OnionHead68,
Have you read the following thread?
I needed help and my foster dog guarded me from the help!
Tell us your thoughts on what the posters dog did. And then of course tell us how YOUR dog would have just lied there and let people help you.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/10/2009 8:15:24 AM

The dogs are only violent because the owners don't train them they can be as friendly as any other dog out there.

Robert thats not correct. Dogs are preditors. If you took your neighborhood dogs and put them on an island with chicken and pigs, the dogs would quickly revert back to their pack instincts and soon "little fluffy" would be hunting with its new pack and ripping at the throats of baby chickens and pigs...Its in their DNA..

No matter how much training, breading, and loving you give them...That does not change their DNA.

Here at a local Ag Highschool, regular dogs were caught on video entering the school's Ag barn and killing 12 prized lambs. The dogs climbed 6 ft high fences to attack and kill the lambs one pen at a time. They did not eat them, they just killed them...And since this school in in the city and not way out in the country, I assume the dogs went back to homes and resumed their "life as Fido"...Regular dogs turned killers
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 3 Pit Bulls Killed by Cops...2 kids under 2 yrs old Dead