Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 privat33r
Msg: 8
view profile
History
72 Hours -- Are You Ready?????Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
In north america alone likely 2 million government and municipal workers have spent a week each in meetings and courses that at some level brush on "Oops, lets not do what New Orleans did". Still I've been wondering the same thing. It is a great idea to remind us that while we're flicking through 8 tabs on our laptops a not completely robust infrastructure supports us, but past that I suspect there's basis to 'what else is going on?' unease. It may be that several western nations noticed a trend in communications that they've dubbed "Jihadist" and thought it wise to make token preparation. Or what might be more likely this "prepare yourself" business is a low order grass roots and soft sell re-justification for a host of ill thought out persecutions of society edgers by neo-con in positions of influence. That's paranoid and most things have no 2nd agenda; but coincidentally I just heard of a few that did. I mean...- crack cocaine got a boost through the CIA using black aircraft to drum up Contra funding and the reason the myth about carrots eating and eyesight came about was to hide the source for 2nd world war RAF radar kill success. Governments are happy to lay false trails in order to manipulate our perception. They are certain its a favour to us.
 barbee1970
Msg: 9
72 Hours -- Are You Ready?????
Posted: 4/5/2009 8:48:04 PM
I always buy for 2 weeks supply of food. I buy more non-perishables, too.

Government always seems to want to control our every move, so I wouldn't doubt if they were up to something. What was Earth hour all about? We were suppose to sit in the dark for an hour.
 notregme
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2009 7:44:49 PM
ya it does sound a bit of a big brother thing,Its like there kinda warrning you but not telling you whats comeing.Now it is a good idea and maby its just an honest looking out for our best intrest.But it still could be an un anouced planet smasher space rock named pinky that they havent told us about to save people from panicing.lol.But its still a good idea to have a survival kit and not just enough for three days,three to six months would be better.How many dessastars are over in just thee days?Not many.
 FL CO
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2009 10:16:02 AM
I've got enough meat in the freezer from hunting season to last for awhile. I currently live on a lake so that I can catch fish if need be. If all else fails, I'll throw hunting season out the window and go get something. Water isn't a problem with a generator and a deep well. I've got water stored away anyway. I've got the means to protect myself and my family if need be. The ability to cook over an open fire if I have to. A garden which will provide fresh vegetables. Could I survive for 3 days without the govenment? You bet I can. Am I survival nut? Nope, but I do the know importance of having stuff stored away. When disaster strikes I won't have to run out to the store to pay inflated prices. I can stay at home and take care of stuff that'll need to be taken care of.
 FL CO
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2009 10:32:59 AM

A couple collapsable water jugs filled all the time, along with some dried fruit, nuts, meat jerky, etc. can go along ways. Or a couple gallon jugs. Remember...this is for DRINKING only. Get used to your own smell...cause you ain't gonna be showering or bathing. A first aid kit. A couple cases of tinned foods...like sphaghettios or some such thing. A couple tins of "canned heat" to heat them up with. A few candles or a wind-up lantern. (no batteries!) same for a radio.
It isn't hard to "be prepared". Any bookstore will probably carry some kind of "survival" books....but a boy-scout handbook will do the same.

Walmart sells large (I believe 7 gallon) water containers with a spout. They're excellent for storing water. You just have to rememebr that, that 7 gallon container is going to weigh over 56lbs, so if you've got a few of them you've got to be careful about where you put them. The weight will add up fast. For bathing babywipes is all you need. Yeah they don't smell the best, but its better than week old BO. For first aid, you'll need more than the basic bandaid and antibiotics. I always keep some large dressings, tape, butterfly bandages, tourniquet, some type of liquid bandaid, medications beside the basic advil, a needle and thread is also helpful. For food, canned tuna is an excellent source of protien and can be mixed with all kinds of stuff for different flavors. I'd go with a good quality LED light though. They'll last several hours on one set of batteries. You could buy a rechargeable set and get one of the cheap solar charges and recharge them during the day. The scout handbook is an excellent idea. Get one of the older ones though, because the news don't have half of what even the mid-90s ones had.
 FL CO
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2009 1:45:46 PM
I also have access to canning/vaccuum sealing stuff. When if comes to the meat, a generator will run the freezer. I also have a dehydrator, so if I don't think I'll have enough fuel to run the freezer for the full length of whatever is going on I'll just start making jerky like crazy. That'll keep at room temp no problem. As far as wind-up stuff goes, I've had bad luck with anything except the high end stuff. Basic batteries are cheap so its not hard to stock up on them. The CR123s my good flashlights take is another story. Those things can get expensive. The light itself though is smaller than a 2AA maglight and will make you say "when'd the sun come up?"
 FL CO
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2009 10:11:21 PM

OH NO ...the year 2000 !! ALL the computers in the world are gonna crash !! Holy crap !
We won't have power, no money,no food...life as we know it will cease !!! AHHHHHHH !!!

You joke about it, but look what happened with Katrina. They even knew it was coming their way. You never know what may happen. Major tornado, tsunami. volcano, terrorist attack, etc. Its good to have at least a few basics to be able to survive off of for a few days. At the very least you've got a backup supply of food and water for whenever you don't get a chance to run to the store or a waterpipe busts somewhere and they've got to shut the water down for the afternoon. I'm not a survival nut. I don't have 6 months worth of food stored away in mylar bags placed in 5 gallon buckets. I do believe in being able to not have to rely on someone else to save myself when a few basic preps can take care of it.
 FL CO
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2009 10:13:01 PM
{quote]What about a gadget that could be stored away but catches rain? Something that would allow you to not rely on water you stored before the catastrophe? I'm sure they must exist. Does anyone have one?

About Canadian Tire. A few years about when the entire eastern power grid went down for days, Canadian Tire was my store of choice. I had no real cash and credit and debit weren't available because of the lack of power but I did have a store of Canadian Tire money (they give back 4% of their own currency for cash or debit purchases). I walked over with a backpack and bought the essentials to get me through the outage. Because there were no lights and it was pitch black inside, an employee took me through the aisles with a lamp to help choose my purchases. I appreciated their response to the event, since other stores stayed closed w/o power.

They have gutter systems that wil empty into a rain barrel. Do you really want to go out into a hurricane though to get water? What if the disaster doesn't involve rain so there's no water to collect. Also you have to think about what the water goes over/through before being collected. Its best to have some stored and collect some if you're able.

Which is why its always good to have some cash on hand. Put some away somewhere where you won't be tempted to spend it. As you found out, credit/debit doesn't do much good when the power goes out. Also individuals don't take it and you may need to buy something off of somebody.
 FL CO
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2009 10:20:56 PM

What a bunch of nonsense. With the transportation, helicopters, whatever, the USA has the capability of resupplying any spot in the US in no more than 24 hours.

The Katrina survivors got no help because we were too busy being preyed upon. In my hometown I paid 750 dollars for a tetanus shot at the local hospital at the same time the hospital was challenging the credentials of medical teams trying to get in and provide them for free. Contrary to what you may have heard, there was food water and gas everywhere -- for a price.

There is great opportunity in disaster. That is the lesson of Katrina. Spend your time wisely choosing officials who will do their job and you won't need anything. The stores will be open. Supplies will be plentiful. Elect another slate of republicans and you can expect them to suck your blood.

Really? So why did it take so long to get the survivers out/resupplied then? Also in something thats going to be an all day/multiday event you need to be able to take care of yourself so that you'll be able to survive while you wait to be saved.

Great, there was stuff everywhere. You just had to pay crazy prices for it. So that means if you were smart enough to prepare you'd still have your money and could maybe even make some money.

I'm sure. Just like BHO is going to pay everyones mortgage and put gas in their tanks. Are you really that stupid? Also they mayor of NOLA wasn't a republican. The republican areas actually faired better during Katrina. Could it be because they were smart enough to plan ahead of time?
 Merrylass
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2009 1:08:06 AM
I keep a lot of tins on hand. I figure the juice from the fruit can serve as beverage in the absence of water.

Given that weather has become more severe and there have been so many more hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, wildfires, etc. I think it's only smart that the emergency prep agencies start reinforcing the message that people need to be prepared.

I keep wondering whether the essential equipment list in flood areas includes flotation garments/devices. Seems to me that when high water's the hazard, the rest of the stuff won't help at all if you can't get out of the water.

In fact, as I'm writing this I'm listening to the news reports about the tornadoes and wildfires taking place or forecast for some US states.
 FL CO
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2009 11:35:36 AM

This thread cracks me up. Having enough supplies for 72 hours is something most have anyway. Some really serious posts about "city dwellers" made me laugh the hardest. Nothing like a stereotype or two, eh?

Don't get riled up. The end of the world is not coming

Do you really think people have enough potable water on hand to survive for a few days? I don't. Not unless they think to tap into some of the things that naturally store water in the home. You never know what might happen and how long you may have to survive on you're own. It doesn't hurt to be prepared. I've never heard anyone say that they wish they didn't have the stuff, but I have heard many times people say that they wish they did have some preps.
 FL CO
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2009 8:49:16 AM

Yes. Not enough to live in the lap of luxury, but... yes

64oz a day per person. Plus water for cooking, hygiene, and water for washing. Thats not counting any water that may be needed for medical reasons or in addition to the 64oz of drinking water due to conditions. For those that don't know there 128oz of water in a gallon. 2 people would need at least 3 gallons of just drinking water for 3 days. Most people aren't going to have that much water store away.
 FL CO
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2009 9:30:46 AM

64 oz of drinking water per person is not NEEDED. It is ideal

So when the power is out and you're in a hot/humid enviroment having to do manual labor, and sweating more than normal because of it, you don't think you'll need more water? This isn't sitting at home in the A/C watching a movie. Conditions won't be what we are used to. Dehydration is not something you want to deal with in an emergency.
 FL CO
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2009 12:05:43 PM

My we know very little about that of which we write. Any simple internet search will disclose that
a) the levees were the responsibility of the US Army Corps of Engineers.
b) The corps has admitted that they completely failed in their mission, that they deceived local governments and citizens as to the status of the levees and have admitted that the entire debacle of New Orleans was their fault.
c) At the present time there is a trial underway regarding the corps failure and the financial responsibility which the US should bear as a result of this total failure of one of its agencies.

But let's not let facts and truth get in the way when we can bash a bunch of black people. The failure of Katrina did not start in New Orleans any more than the failure of 9-11 started in New York. Both disasters have a common origin -- George Bush and his company of incompetents that he brought to Washington with him.

Even if the levies were someone elses fault, that still doesn't change the fact that they weren't smart enough to leave a town that was below sea-level when a large storm was coming their ways. If also doesn't change the peoples actions after the fact. They destroyed what the storm missed. They destroyed places that took them in afterwards. They screamed for free handouts. You can't blame peoples actions or inaction (to leave/prepare) on Bush. You can't blame the levies on Bush either. As far as 9/11 goes, how is that Bushes fault? He hadn't been in office even a year. 9/11 goes on Clinton
 FL CO
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2009 9:02:57 PM

The violent racism on this site is appalling.
The residents of the city of New Orleans have received less than 10 billion dollars for housing, "The Road Home Program".
Compare this with 250 billion to the white shareholders and executives of Citifinancial
180 billion to the white shareholders and executives of AIG

New Orleans got hit by the worst storm to hit the North American continent in 1000 years. Your white bankers made some bad loans.

I've only seen you make race an issue, so apparently you are the racist here. NOLA didn't even take a direct hit by the storm and it wasn't the worst one we've had. Just poor leadership in that city and poor judgement and morals from those that live there. Also the bailouts came from a democratic congress, so you can't pin those on Bush.
 oddandy
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/25/2009 11:02:12 AM

And please show me a racist comment I made.

Your implication that all the shareholders of these banks are white would be one.
 paliminolady
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2009 12:41:20 PM
Don't you find it strange these questions were raised just barely a few weeks befor reports of possible pandemic virus spead, sounds like somebody knew something was about to happen befor reports of people getting sick ever came out publically!!!! (and who was asking the questions if we were prepared to survive with out assitance,?)
 oddandy
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/25/2009 4:43:25 PM
"Your implication that all the shareholders of these banks are white would be one. "

You want to bet on the numbers? I'd be shocked if ownership weren't 90% white. Come on, give me your estimate.

I bet it's not even close 90% Don't forget that a LOT of people's retirement accounts, 401Ks, etc, owned stock in these companies, as did a lot of foreigners. You specifically mentioned Citi, who's biggest shareholder is Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdul Aziz al Saud, ROFL. He owns 3.6% of the company himself.

IOW, you don't have any facts (if you did you wouldn't have made such an erroneous claim,) you just say it's "all about white people" and you are demonstrably wrong. Your ignorant race-based assumption is the epitome of a racist remark IMO.

PS - My white mother lost her home in a foreclosure last year. Other posters are right, it's about CLASS, not RACE. Do yourself a favor and wake the fuck up.
 oddandy
Msg: 52
Posted: 4/25/2009 4:59:50 PM
Oh wow, that's comforting. 3.6% of 250 billion dollars-- would that be about 10 billion -- the exact same that several hundred thousand families in New Orleans received. That sure gives me a warm fuzzy feeling -- the tax payers of this nation gave the same amount of money to one member of the Saudi royal family as they gave to 200,000 families in New Orleans. The Saudi prince -- and his relationship with the Bush family is what?

Now you're making a straw-man argument. First you claimed it was "all about white people," when I called it a racist remark you claimed that "90% of the shareholders are white," when I present evidence to the contrary it suddenly shifts to how much money Katrina victims got compared to how much this Saudi Prince got. In other words, I busted you for FALSE and racist remarks, you know it, so now you're trying to shift the argument. What a boor.
 oddandy
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/25/2009 5:22:47 PM
"how much money Katrina victims got compared to how much this Saudi Prince"

I said nothing about a Saudi prince -- you brought him into the discussion. Don't open the door if you're not prepared to deal with the horses stampeding out.

OK, let's go over this again...You said the bailouts (which I have very vocally opposed on these very forums, BTW) were all about white people. I said that was a racist remark. You then "back up" your remark by claiming that 90% of the shareholders are white. I refute this claim in part by mentioning the Saudi Prince. Your reply in msg 78, and I quote:

Oh wow, that's comforting. 3.6% of 250 billion dollars-- would that be about 10 billion -- the exact same that several hundred thousand families in New Orleans received. That sure gives me a warm fuzzy feeling -- the tax payers of this nation gave the same amount of money to one member of the Saudi royal family as they gave to 200,000 families in New Orleans.

That is what's known as a straw-man argument. You are now attacking the amount of money the Saudi Prince got vs. the amount of money the Katrina victims got when up to that point our little debate has been whether or not your remarks were factual or just racist tripe. In other words, you changed the subject...you built a straw man to attack, backing off from your original claim that you weren't making racist remarks because "90% of the shareholders are white."

Nice try.

I am tired of reading about this disaster and that disaster and the whole thing comes down to people buying houses they could not afford.

Actually my mother developed systolic heart failure (her heart now works at 33% capacity) and then on top of that 6 months later had to start taking chemotherapy for lymphatic cancer, so she became (and still is) quite unable to continue working. EDIT: BTW her insurance company denied her disability benefits and so far so has the Social Security Administration. She's worked hard as an RN her entire life and now has no income, not even the insurance (or Social Security) that she's paid into for 30 years. Nice job on once again spouting off at the mouth without having an inkling of what the facts are. You're a real piece of work. No wonder you seem so angry - I'd hate having that kind of personality, too.
 FL CO
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2009 10:00:34 PM
We need to stop arguing with this idiot. He's so screwed up in his ways that he can't see the obvious and won't acknowledge when something is pointed out to him.
 oddandy
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/27/2009 9:47:33 PM
You brought the Saude prince up, not me. Can I help it if you injected into the discussion that a Saudi prince got about the same amount of money as the entire city of New Orleans. You expect me to ignore that?

I expect you to either admit that your "all about white people" remark was indeed racist or to refute my factual evidence that it was NOT, in fact, "all about white people." When you attempt to change the subject of a debate while still pretending to be engaged in the same debate you are committing the logical fallacy known as the "straw-man argument." Perhaps you should google the "handbook of logical fallacies," although common sense and logic (and indeed, I have broken down point-by-point our little debate for you TWICE now) should suffice.

BTW - The Saudi Prince didn't get any money..the company he is a shareholder in got money. When a company receives bailout money (which I agree they shouldn't get, but hey) the shareholders don't get a check for their share of that money, the company gets it as "working capital"...just FYI. If what you are claiming were the case people wouldn't be bitching about their retirement accounts (401k's, etc) being wiped out, they'd all be cashing their individual bailout checks. That you don't understand this basic fact goes to show that you're wholly unaware of how things actually work but are instead blinded by your very overt racism.
 oddandy
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/28/2009 8:54:13 AM
No, I live here. It is all about white people. Go to the courthouse and check out the deeds and the money and it is all about white people. Google "Brent Warr", the Republican mayor of Gulfport. He got over 200k. He's a multimillionaire.
Not a dozen black families got housing grants -- it was all about white people. Our Governor, Republican Haley Barbour saw to it that the traditional ethnic neighborhoods got nothing. We have entire sections of town with 3 and 5 thousand houses missing. All inhabited by asians and blacks. Pretend all you want. I live here. It's all about white people.

Your original statement that I took issue with was that the bailout bills were "all about white people." You are once again changing your argument, which is fine - it's just an admission that you're wrong on the points you stop trying to defend.

"The Saudi Prince didn't get any money..the company he is a shareholder in got money."

And of course the infusion of 250 billion dollars into the corporation did nothing to affect the value of the shares that he owned.

In an earlier post you divided the $250B by the 3.6% share that the Prince owned in the company and then compared that dollar figure to the amount of money given to Katrina victims. Once again you're changing your arguments, LOL. Your continual argument-shifting reinforces my opinion that you have a single-minded race-based agenda. I call that racism.

FL CO
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2009 11:22:29 AM

I wouldn't worry. I just know which neighbor is the most stocked up and plan to high tail it over there if it hits the fan

Don't be suprized if you get turned away or get the bare bones minimum to keep you alive. I'm not about to put out out my time and money to prepare for someone who is unwilling to take care of themselves. Remember the parable about the ant and the grasshopper?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >