Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rc3
Msg: 71
I will OBEY you???Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Obey belongs on both sides of the vows... Because unless it offends your morals or is something you specifically do not want to do ... a little bit of obeying on both sides prevents quite a few fights...

Too many people think that they can be married and EVERYTHING will be EXACTLY how THEY want... That is just stupid... there will be times when things aren't as you want... sometimes this means compromise and sometimes this just means giving in and obeying.... This is how guys usually end up at a "chick flik" and this is how women usually and up a sporting events.... All part of the give and take...

So no... it doesn't need to be removed from the vows, but it should be in both sets of vows...

As for it being outdated... it isn't .. People are just hyper sensitive to protecting their individualism when they are getting married, which is fine... But, not really the point of the whole thing..
 lexilou
Msg: 72
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 10:11:00 AM
I think that you are right.. !!! When I get married I plan on writing my own vowels to because .. I am not going to have my husband thinking he rules over me. I can and will make my own decisions for myself.. !!!
 solstice621
Msg: 73
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 10:43:59 AM
there are 26 vowels. make sure you cover them all! just kidding!!!
 cuterguy
Msg: 75
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 11:38:25 AM
thecat--you probably took it the wrong way, it was a joke---I command you not to respond---lol
 astrosky
Msg: 76
view profile
History
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 12:25:02 PM

men then started staying home (wearing your apron) and then took care of the kids barefoot and erect when you got home

WHOO HOO! Send me one of those dudes! I'll pay postage, LOL!

OT - Really, I couldn't stand a subserviant dude who obeyed me all the time. Balance is good.
 thecatt
Msg: 77
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 1:03:13 PM
cuterguy, you KNEW I'd respond, just because you 'commanded' that I NOT respond.
;-)
See if you can guess how rebellious of a kid I was. I had a stepfather only 11 years older than me. He tried was a drunk and tyrannical.
Need I say more?

It goes without saying that I like quietier, calmer guys who would never think to try to boss me or tell me what to do.
I need to be 'me'.

I'm still a rebel.
 squeak365
Msg: 78
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 1:09:49 PM
One of my favorite moves is to put my finger in my cheek and say "I doos ever'thin' a man tells me" in a little girl voice. Does this tell you how I feel about this?

OBEY (Sarcastic).........muhahahahahahahahha

Squeak
 tyme_gypsy
Msg: 79
view profile
History
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 1:42:21 PM
(lexilou wrote:) "When I get married I plan on writing my own vowels..."

a,e,i,o,u, §, æ, Ü, Ö, ê

"I am not going to have my husband thinking he rules over me. I can and will make my own decisions for myself.. !!!"

And your profile says "Baptist"?
Hello???
Good to know that a practicing "Baptist" knows more than God, since that is HIS rule. Maybe I should change to "Baptist" too!
 miss music
Msg: 82
view profile
History
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 2:51:05 PM
Viceguy2 said in post 15 or so "Now if the man completely commits to living up to his vow, is this such a bad thing? "

I totally agree. If the man completely commits to his part of the vow, there's no problem with obeying him. Now where are such trustworthy and honorable men?
 miss music
Msg: 83
view profile
History
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 3:39:58 PM
I just read a post about dancing and had to add this thought to the thread.

The principles behind dance is very much like my beliefs about marriage. The man is in control in that he decides which steps we do...but success only happens when he ensures that BOTH of us move safely around the dance floor. At the same time, if I see someone behind him about to collide with us, I have to signal the gentleman and he has to respond to my signal and steer us away. While there is ONE person nominally "in charge", it is not a dictatorship situation. It is still very much a partnership.
 CHuBByLiCiouS
Msg: 84
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 5:50:12 PM
Out of all the weddings I have been to, seems to me the man takes the same vows as the woman. So if love, honor, and obey was in there.. guess the man would have to obey as well uh?
 astrosky
Msg: 85
view profile
History
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 6:00:05 PM
Chubby - nope, the ones I heard are subtly different - HE vows to love/honor/cherish and SHE vows to lover/honor/obey.
 stormycs
Msg: 86
view profile
History
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 6:00:08 PM
I think that "obey" is outdated. Love, honor, cherish, and respect is enough for both parties. There is no need for one person to swear that they will "obey" the other one.
 CHuBByLiCiouS
Msg: 87
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 6:04:56 PM
Love, honor and cherrish is more like it. Then again everyone has a right to alter those vows or write their own... who's to say the word "obey" wasn't something she didn't want to say? LOL You never know. Some people love to "obey". She could of always said HELL NO.
 Offmyrocker
Msg: 89
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 6:46:11 PM
God Almighty, we still on this crap?
 patty4u
Msg: 90
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/4/2005 9:24:19 PM
I give my lover 2 hours a day when I obey her...gets it all out of her system...and it tends to be fun
 cuterguy
Msg: 91
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/5/2005 12:14:53 AM
Damn it "thecat"--you just don't listen do you??

astrosky, I could not handle it either (having a sub-serviant other) Reminds me of the "Stepford Wives" movie. Heck, half the reason I want a good woman, is to keep me in check also. (they are pretty good at that)
 cuterguy
Msg: 92
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/5/2005 12:16:32 AM
countrylin---you should see my sexy little beer gut in that apron----damn I look good. :)
 tyme_gypsy
Msg: 93
view profile
History
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/5/2005 12:53:08 AM
(eddie wrote:)"Maybe she's a Baptist with an edge, i.e. capacity for individual thought."

Spoken like a true "non-religious" person, Eddie.
Just as a suggestion, before you chime in on a topic it would serve you well to know something about the subject about which you're musing.
 _Thisisme_
Msg: 94
view profile
History
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/5/2005 9:51:53 PM
You're so right cuterguy.....it all started when your forefathers let women vote.....and yes it was because they 'did not know what (they) were doing'....that's why they enlisted the help of women.....lol
 grubeci
Msg: 95
view profile
History
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/5/2005 10:26:05 PM
my brothers wife got a dog training book and used to smash down the dogs nose or hold him on his back uncomfy..or whatever...I didn't like that...but I guess...it works...and anyway..I can't prove it..but I was wondering if she was using that shit on my brother...grrrrrr

Anyway, now I'm learning how to train birds to shit on her car. Nooooooo just kidding..they fight...and when he gets too tired to fight...she will win...and then...maxed out credit cards and ....no she's pretty cool...and all his stuff..out and hers in....but its cool.
 grubeci
Msg: 96
view profile
History
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 7/5/2005 10:27:09 PM
I'm voting for stillettos and maxed out credit cards....NO! Stillettos though... probably.
 Ghost08*
Msg: 98
I will OBEY you???
Posted: 3/5/2009 10:33:48 PM
people who actually put that in their vows should have dogs not a marriage
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >