Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Honoring The 14th Ammendment To The US Constitution: Bravo Green Moun      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wisguyingb
Msg: 9
Honoring The 14th Ammendment To The US Constitution: Bravo Green Mountaineers!Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Maybe someday polygamy will also be legal.

It never stops amazing me to see the very same women whom support gay/lesbian marriage also many times fiercely oppose any sort of legalization of polygamy. Thats kind of a double standard isn't it?

Afterall we don't choose who we fall in love with. And if we can re-write the laws for one group of people, then why not another group of people? Such as the polygamist.....

We should show "equality and compassion" towards all goups of people. (Just like the poster at message 3 stated)

Polygamy has been around since the dawn of time. Lets do the right thing already and show this group some equality and compassion.

Ezzee
Msg: 10
Honoring The 14th Ammendment To The US Constitution: Bravo Green Mountaineers!
Posted: 4/8/2009 10:56:30 AM
Instead of turning this into a slippery slope argument about polygamy and incest, why not just talk about the real topic. Seriously, Critical Thinking 101, if you can not come up with a better argument then a logical fallacy, then you have conceded and lost the debate.

The US Supreme Court and the Appeals Courts aren't going to rule on anything specific to this particular change in VT law because it isn't something they can rule on. The States control the laws as far as who can or can't marry and if VT decides this is the way they want to go, that is their choice. There is no question about the State Legislature's authority to pass laws within their boundries for a Court to rule on.

There is always the possibility of some group bringing a lawsuit against the state of Vermont in regards to this law which could move upto the Supreme Court, so there is the possibility. I'd have to do further research but I don't see the Supreme Court taking the case or overturning the law on the issue of Constitutionality however.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/8/2009 11:02:58 AM

Hopefully someday I can legally marry my Mother.

You can move to El Darado Texas and get started...

...................................................................................................................................

I dont know where this idea that "The Church" had exclusivity to Marriage came from, but seems to me that humans have been forming family unions way before organized religion were formed...

This notion that When Moses came down from the mount and threw those stone tablets at his countrymen, that we All have to march in a single file to his Suggestions...

I eat pork, I occasionaly work on saturday, I dont worship at gravin images, but if that is your thing...knock yourself out...

Our Forefather left whereever they were to escape the bullshit of the day...I'm gonna honor mine by saying...enough bullshit. The church and The State can stay out of Joe and Lucy Public's bedroom....as well as Steve and Adam Public's .
 yna6
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/8/2009 11:16:19 AM
I don't give a rat who anyone marries. If I want to be single though....different story. Perhaps I want to claim "single" on my taxes...BY LAW, even though I am NOT married, I have to claim that dubious honour, or I am in violation of the laws! I have to say I am married, or, at least, in a partnership with someone else and have to claim them on MY forms. Well...the Marriage Act says that it is illegal for anyone to force an arranged marriage on anyone in this country! Hello!!!! The tax department just DID that very thing...not onl;y violating the laws, but my rights also!
Anyways....
Has anyone every figured out the protocols for a gay marriage? I've asked, but never gottena good answer. Seems there should be some "traditional" things involved...but I am darned if I know! Who stands on the "brides" side of the alter? (The one who leads during a dance?) Is it "husband and husband"? Or "Wife and wife"? Would anyone even recognize a ceremony if they managed to fall into one?
Who throws the bouquet? Do they even have one? Firing a garter into the crowd? What?
 geeleebee
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/8/2009 3:39:24 PM

Maybe someday polygamy will also be legal.

It never stops amazing me to see the very same women whom support gay/lesbian marriage also many times fiercely oppose any sort of legalization of polygamy. Thats kind of a double standard isn't it?

Afterall we don't choose who we fall in love with. And if we can re-write the laws for one group of people, then why not another group of people? Such as the polygamist.....

We should show "equality and compassion" towards all goups of people. (Just like the poster at message 3 stated)

Polygamy has been around since the dawn of time. Lets do the right thing already and show this group some equality and compassion.

I support same-sex marriage and I am opposed to polygamy, and no, it isn't a double standard. You bring up two separate issues.

If you want to begin the process of making polygamy legal, hop on it.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/8/2009 4:52:27 PM

I can also see problems with children in gay and lesbian marriages.

I agree, its not like the problem free "Traditonal marriage"... Has anyone been to family court recently?
 xvermonter
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/8/2009 6:54:01 PM
Ah yes, I remember back more than 8 years ago when living in Vermont (for 40 yrs BTW) and this occurred:

"Vermont Gov. Howard Dean signed the most sweeping same-sex partnership law in the United States, effective July 1, 2000. He called it a "courageous and powerful statement" about his state."

Some people even started calling it "The Queen Mountain State" (vs. Green Mountain State)!

We Vermonters were not surprised in the least when it was signed into law this week. We simply wondered "What took so long?" XV
 Double Cabin
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2009 1:32:51 PM
boxer,

It was an exercise in Sarcasm. LMFAO.

Mmaulueg,

Were you in the Service? Have you ever taken an oath to uphold the Consitution? Have you ever actually read any of it let alone the 14th Ammendment? Have you ever researched what actually might make sarcasm persuasive? LOL.

As to the "will of the people": In the end does that matter? We have plenty of instances in this country where the rights of the individual trump those of the majority. That's why Ammendment 2 was thrown out here in Colorado long ago. Even so given the actions of Mr. Jeffords I'd be very suprised if any Vermont Legislator would try and circumvent the will of the majority of their constituents.

As to polygamy: I'd be OK with it as long as there were a minimum age requirement and as long as anyone engaged in the pursuit of such a union is made fully aware they don't have to live by the "laws" of an isolated compound they may never have strayed very far from if at all. Maybe everyone should have to see a video demonstrating all the civilized options to the union they plan on undertaking? Polygamy has a poor historical record with excessive numbers of unwilling, underage brides. I don't think the real substance of the homosexual community is going to come out and demand the right to marry children. NAMBLA is of course something that's only purpose is fermenting irrational and utterly unsubstanitated fear.

We have no freedom if it is selectively applied. I anticipate the dominoes to start falling big time.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/9/2009 2:38:39 PM
Regarding message 30

I was throwing in some sarcasm, as I had pointed out. Its funny to see that many people whom fight and support for gay marriage also view people who are into incest or polygamy as sickos. That's a total double standard. They become the very hypocrites they claim to battle.

I'm happy that sarcasm can be persuasive. It gets people to think.

I was in the Army Reserve for 6 years as a Black hawk helicopter mechanic and did take a oath to uphold the Constitution when I joined.

So doublecabin, it sounds like you have read the Constitution. Thats great! So do you pay income taxes each year?

You do understand that by filling a w-2 that you are volunteering to give up your 5th amendment rights.

Do you agree with that?
 geeleebee
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/9/2009 4:08:41 PM

Its funny to see that many people whom fight and support for gay marriage also view people who are into incest or polygamy as sickos. That's a total double standard. They become the very hypocrites they claim to battle.

You are comparing apples with oranges.

Supporting two unrelated, consenting adults in their desire to marry is a far cry from supporting polygamy and incest.
I continue to be amazed at those people who bring incest and polygamy into a discussion of same-sex marriage, as the issues are totally different.

Seriously, how does one compare incest with same-sex marriage?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Honoring The 14th Ammendment To The US Constitution: Bravo Green Mountaineers!