Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I Caught You Looking: Is looking at a profile a green light to make c      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 c_deacon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
I Caught You Looking: Is looking at a profile a green light to make contact?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
All you have to do, is turn off that option, and no one will know who looks at whom.

I am sure that many are looking at each others profile with some interest dealing with topic comments, pictures, and overall profile make up, which is the purpose of this site, is it not????

The only so called "red light" would be the restrictions listed and POF will take care of that with its own blockers.

If you see someone that you are interested in knowing better, email and let them know. The best way to keep this happening, is for everyone to be kind enough to respond at least once, and that would help all those searching, to feel accepted in many ways.

Since there are so many more men on this site, and men are expected to be more aggressive, both here and in society, most women will get maybe 10 emails for every one sent to a man, and some will get so many that they become numb to the thought process, and just delete as they go.

This all has helped create this topic about having a green light or not. I say that if you want to find out what really is, since we out number the women by so much, let them email us and then you know that the interest is there on some level, because most of us do not get 10 to a 100 emails a day.

Just my opinion.........
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 5
view profile
History
I Caught You Looking: Is looking at a profile a green light to make contact?
Posted: 4/9/2009 9:51:42 AM
Believe it or not, someone I once looked at (and didn't write) wrote to me to chastize me for having merely looked at her profile, because we were obviously wrong for each other, in her estimation.

So, the answer to the OP's question is "No".

But, hey, do whatever you're big enough to do.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/9/2009 9:52:50 AM

Is looking at a profile FIRST, a green light to make contact?

Not for me. If they look and decided there is interest, they'll write. If they don't ~ they either don't like my pictures or my profile didn't fit what they are looking for or my restrictions preclude them from writing. In any event, something didn't work. That means? We aren't meant to communicate (at least in my opinion.)
 cookie22222
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2009 11:58:07 AM
Well...I actually had someone email me that - I saw you looking, why didn't you say hi? It did lead to some contact and a couple of dates, but he didn't float my boat.
 Landra
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/9/2009 12:58:19 PM
Do whatever,
I just looked at your profile. Doesn't mean I want to be contacted.
I often look at the profiles of people who post in the forums.
If you feel you might be interested in the person, give it a shot.
But a "profile view" isn't a green, yellow or red light.

Also, even when I look/like the profile I never initiate contact. I figure if a man is interested, he'll let me know.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/9/2009 6:11:21 PM
No, it isn't a green light. I don't allow people to see if I have looked at their profiles because I don't want them to think that I am interested in them.

I often contact men who look at my profile, though, and most often, it isn't because I think that they are interested in me or because I am romantically interested in them. Usually, they say something on their profiles that piques my interest and I want a question answered. Choice of religion is one because I am pagan and I always wonder what constitutes the "Other" religion of people who choose that option.
 Miss W
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/9/2009 6:43:56 PM
I don't take this "viewed me" seriously at all and have turned mine off. I get view a lot, possibly because I'm currently donning bunny ears in my main pic. I see it as a nope, next....and that's fine.
 Yankee_Girl
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2009 9:31:39 PM
What the hell? I thought a searchable profile was the green light. Huh, how 'bout that?

If you're interested and not afraid of a little rejection now and then, email her and see what happens. If someone clicks on me and I think he looks interesting, I'll kick out an email. It usually goes nowhere except some pleasant email banter, but what the heck? I'm meeting some very nice people (and a few jackasses).
 barbee1970
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/9/2009 11:20:04 PM
I get the same ones who view my profile all of the time.

Sometimes I will send a message. They might be just as afraid of rejection as I am. A friendly message never hurts. If they view me daily, either, they might like me or my forums.

I did make a major blunder the other day. Sorry to the other woman. I was watching Family Guy, wasn't watching the mouse, at it clicked her pic. I jumped when I saw her profile pop up! I am not a lesbian. It was an accident.
 barbee1970
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/9/2009 11:24:23 PM
Yes, a few of the same guys view my profile every day and I think they are attractive. True, if they are just looking at my forums, that's OK.

I'm going to Willowbrook Ballroom, Willow Springs tommorrow, anyway. That's what I really want is to go to a neutral place and join a singles party.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2009 7:38:16 AM
Maybe I'm trying to read between the lines but I would think that if someone was absolutely not interested in an interracial relationship, they wouldn't be clicking on your profile at all. This is assuming someone clicked on your profile by searching and not thru the forums.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/11/2009 1:54:12 PM
First of all, it is NOT possible to tell if someone looks at you "daily" -- a lot of peeps are confused about the top line of pics, which simply show who, among those who have *ever* viewed you has most recently been on line.

I *never* see any women who have viewed me, but I do look at women's profiles all the time. Why that might be construed as having lesbian tendencies totally escapes me, lol!

I have my viewing history turned off for the reasons floated by the OP: I certainly don't wish to be contacted by everyone, or necessarily anyone, whose profile I've looked at. Main thing is: *until* you look you know nothing. Almost 100% of profiles I look at are not in any way, shape, or form a potential match for me. Nor were they ever. I've clicked thumbnails to find out what the big spiderweb thing in the background was, or the black blob over the shoulder. . . . Why this should get anyone's hopes up, I surely don't know. . . . Have also clicked on thumbnails because I wanted to see exactly what kind of peep would put a half nekkid pic of himself up with the ol' manboobs hanging over this ginormous pot belly. . . .

Ender330
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2009 11:45:05 AM
EbonynVoluptuous,

Can't send you an email because I am to young and youthful for you...but I was reading your profile and thought it was really nice...but I had to read halfway through to find your preference in the race of men you are interested in dating...

Hey we all have our preference as I have mostly dated white women and Latin women. The only thing I would change about you is putting your preference closer to the top of your profile...perhaps the first line...cuz I was reading and reading and then BOOM...just a waist of time even reading such a nice profile....

Just my thoughts beautiful women...just my thoughts...

Most of the women who email me are on stealth mode...cuz I never see them looking. Sometimes I go days and days before I see someone looking...at first I was like damn...nobody likes me... but then I realized I got em looking...just in stealth cuz they know they can't handle me
 judijudijudi1
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2009 10:30:23 AM
In my opinion..........just checking out a profile is NOT a green light to email or message..........As a matter of fact, I have my settings set so that I can look at a profile and the person is NOT notified........(check out settings). \
Now, I DO believe that if I save someone to favorites, and for some reason did NOT make contact yet.........they are BY ALL MEANS WELCOME to contact!!!
I check out who has viewed me.........and I will contact ONLY the ones that I am more than casually interested in.........since they viewed me already and DID NOT make contact................I just hope that a personal note may sway them in some way...Otherwise.......it really seems futile...........Don't you agree????? judi
................. ................ ...................
 OutMind
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/13/2009 11:13:43 AM
Why would it require to be a green light. If they have a profile, whether they are looking at you or not, if they are not blocking your age, or location or whatever other criteria, then it's a green light. Pursue, don't take it as a signal of anything.
 jadegreen
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2009 9:04:24 PM
If someone simply views my profile, but doesn't bother to send me a note I will assume they weren't interested enough to go thru the trouble of writing me...lol
 GWSmith
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/14/2009 3:30:37 AM
Someone looks at my profile I usually look back, most of the profile lookers are on the Forum though so I assume they just wanted to see who they were dealing with.
 fancynanci
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 12:19:03 PM
Often men email me just because I looked at their profile. Doesn't bother me.
 UnzippedPassion
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 8:46:11 PM
To me seeing that someone has clicked to view my profile just signals that we may have something in common. That something is that we may both need glasses. Those thumbnails are just too tiny to tell sometimes.

Haven't you ever clicked on a thumbnail only to see it enlarged and thought...ohhh no, definitely not my type! Well, looking at something/someone more closely may only be to help make that determination and not signal a definite interest on their part. If they want to write, they will.
And by that same token, if you want to write......you should, nothing ventured, nothing gained and you never know unless you try. Just don't assume they're interested because they enlarged your pic.

As for me.........I've decided not to confuse anyone or to let anyone know I need glasses.......lol, and turned my viewing OFF.
 areyouabletofindme
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/29/2009 9:01:31 AM
Just like with shopping, sometimes I check out/peruse a profile several times before making contact. Some people are more comfortable than others when it comes to initial contact; others are just too darn shy. With that said, READ the profile top to bottom to assess whether it is someone you have an interest in. If the answer is YES, then go ahead and contact him/her. From my own personal experience upon initially reading the profile I thought...."Hmmm no point he lives too far away." Next encounter, "Hmmm no he's too young". Next encounter with the profile, "Hmmm, He writes some pretty interesting, intellectual posts, can spell, BUT, He still too young and lives too far away....After the 10th time of checking out his profile I figured what the heck I might as well say "Hi". So I finally wrote the email. I commented "specifically" on the things that were of interest to me that he had written in his profile. I ended the email with..."not that we'll ever meet!" LOL, Long story short…. I found and caught my fish! I had no trouble contacting, but many males/female play the SHY game. My point is, if you are attracted to the person in the profile that "peeked" at you, I say go for it! Write back. I don't however feel it is necessary to mention "I saw you peeking at my profile." Bottom line, if you are attracted what is the worst that can happen. I certainly CAN tell you the BEST thing that could happen with the peek and seek technique!
 areyouabletofindme
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/29/2009 10:19:58 AM
Actually I'm okay with it for the most part...as long as it's NOT....nate_in_fl...cuase then I get really nervous, especially if he adds me to his favourites list

LOL M any of us are STILL hiding our profiles and PICTURES from you.
 1Agincourt
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2009 2:59:01 PM
Ive found that if i visit someones profile 9 times out of 10 they will visit mine and some more then once but after being married for 42yrs im still new at this and mabe its the macaw on my scholder they want to see LOL
 ~pinkrose~
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/29/2009 3:13:53 PM
Definitely not. If she looked and didn't write, that means she liked the pic, but upon reading the profile is NOT interested, otherwise she would have written already.
 1Agincourt
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2009 3:49:52 PM
I FIND I HAVE 2PAGES OF THUMBNAILS
WHEN I GO TO WHO HAS VIEWED ME ITS DELIETING SOME OF THE FIRST PEOPLE I HAD CONTACTED BEING SHY ITS HARD FOR ME TO MAKE CONTACT
 TooShadows
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2009 4:30:30 PM
I get a lot of views,probably because people can't quite figure out the smaller version of my picture. But I know that's the reason so I don't write back to the people who've viewed me.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I Caught You Looking: Is looking at a profile a green light to make contact?