Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Your biggest mistake as an artist?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 art boy
Msg: 39
Your biggest mistake as an artist?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
should of sold my paintings instead of giving them away.
 hereshecomesagain
Msg: 40
Your biggest mistake as an artist?
Posted: 5/12/2009 10:11:45 AM
My walls are covered with my own art. I give away art as gifts and it seems covetted and requested. I hardly ever consent to sell it unless I need the money or it is a trivial art, like a custom poster for a child's room.

The question is, do we give away our art because we undervalue it, or because we overvalue it by treating it as priceless? Is the lesson learned to find the middle, to find the true value? Is there some kind of smackdown feared should a dollar value on our inspiration and self-expression be evaluated as low? And then, how would you define "low" priced? less than the materials? Less than the materials plus hourly wage? Less than what a well known artist could get? Less than a van gogh?

How much are we worth? How much is our heart and soul worth?
 PiscesItaliana
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/14/2009 5:38:40 PM
The biggest mistake I have made with my art and in my life (which is the only regret I have in my life) is shelving my art for nearly 6 years. It's something I will never do again. However, I did learn to never abandon something you love. Do want makes you happy.

During that 6-year hiatus, I had become a sour, bitter person, and I had an anger problem that was spiraling out of control.
 cinemaddict12one
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/21/2009 6:31:01 PM
I think mine has been perfection. I'm a writer and a filmmaker, so throughout I've always had the "get it right and accurate mentality." Then I established myself more as an avant-gardist, which doesn't require a whole lot of perfect, just an imagination.
 David Alejandro
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/22/2009 7:55:47 PM
I think the only mistake is giving up.

Artists shouldnt think in terms of "mistakes" but rather "discoveries" and"lessons"

Apply that to almost anything in life.

Thats my two cents
 Principessa957
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/3/2009 6:52:54 PM
Re-recording a song. I'm never happy with the re-do - never measures up. It may be flawless but not nearly as interesting. I think the "mistakes" actually make the recording, not break it.
 GabrielWhispers
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/4/2009 6:21:31 AM
Not aggressively marketing my music. While Ive won awards and numerous accolades over the years and have a rather large following, Ive not done really anything to market myself, resting on the ideal that "if it cant stand on it's merit, then whats the point?" Great ideal, but unrealistic in terms of exposure.

The kicker is that in my day job im a very successful marketer. I guess i just have trouble selling myself, lol.
 MichaelRayHoliday
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/6/2009 12:20:01 AM
the neatest thing about being an artist is if you're good, but you do something unintentionally, you can build off of it with diverse intent and maintain integral theme. But all bs aside principessa surely makes a point in the previous post I think shes, of course, right cuz the first cut comes from the soul and is the creation, everything beyond that is refinement and development which is a good thing too cuz it especially leads to diverse intentions for new creations as well.
 renoirs_dream
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2009 1:55:34 AM
Great Thread!!! Something to sink my teeth into.

{Darn} the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Lack of exposure? Marketing? Hmmmm…..
Since I have paintings in Europe, USA, and Australia I have covered a wide area. But still could use more exposure to the masses.

Many artists are forced into doing one thing. Then regret it. Look at Degas and his ballerinas. He hated doing them after awhile. I myself don’t regret moving into a “full blinders on” type of tunnel vision. It DOES affect sales and publicity if you cover more wide range topics.

You really hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the drug culture, brain rotting, mind numbing weirdo people out there. Believe it or not you don’t HAVE to be Van Gogh and cut off an ear etc… to be a good artist. Being a GREAT artist is up to the kindness of future generations to acquaint you with the masters. Does my art suffer from not doing drugs? Darn, I won’t know!

“WASTE”
Your concern over wasting time and materials. The only WASTE that we produce is by NOT DOING. As an artist even when we create the proverbial trash, (widely common), that will sooner or later be painted over or tossed out. We are increasing the productivity and knowledge of our passion. Look at Renoir and Van Gogh, both have had paintings pulled from the trash heap by friends. Now they are master works of art. Collected and owned. (Many other artists have had this happen also.)

I think our biggest mistakes as VISUAL artists. We think too much and do too little! As I said, “Da__ the torpedoes and full speed ahead!” Even Angelo had regrets. But they teach us. In Angelo’s case, humility….
 constann
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/6/2009 8:20:09 PM
Sketching instead of drawing.

My interest and motivation level in music improved exponentially as soon as I started learning and applying the fundamentals; before I'd just learn someone else's song and try so hard to play it the exact same way. Man, what a bore, and I wasn't getting anywhere with my knowledge.

That all changed as soon as I started making my own music. Now when people ask me to play the guitar I have more to show than just a few riffs of 'Stairway to Heaven'.

Another thing I wanted to point out was that instead of following the 'rules' of a genre, play or paint the way you want and have the genre find you.
 Firefly303
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/7/2009 8:53:07 PM
Ultimatrix hits it spot on, premature critique can easily throw someone out of synch with what they're working on. Sometimes I have to bite my tongue around my non-artist friends when there's something cool going on- it's easy to have an idea shot down.

Mistakes should be identified though, so that they can be learned from. It's important to be able to rectify mishaps and botching so that you can improve as an artist.
 Chaoss1977
Msg: 51
Posted: 6/7/2009 11:04:19 PM
you know van gogh waited for his friend to join him to work as a team in their art studio but he showed up late..his best work was done alone while waiting for him....as for being a musician.i like to change my surroundings and not always stick to one way of writing...try not to get stuck in any ways..that kills inspiration.
 windrider2010
Msg: 52
Posted: 6/9/2009 6:16:57 AM
Steve Perry quiting Journey he is rated it the top 75 singers
 maxiemama
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/11/2009 3:43:22 PM
WOULD BE TO BE DOING IT NOT FOR THE ENJOYMENT FACTOR, BUT TO PUT A PRICE TAG ON IT
 NeoGzus
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/17/2009 2:37:47 AM
Never getting motivated enough to finish past works.

The best art I've done was on my own, not for a client and at my own pace.
Now I've found what my motivation killer was, it was this DAMN COMPUTER!

So if I go somewhere else and relax in a different setting, it triggers some part of the motivation center in my mind that makes me do what I do best.

So definitely a proper environment you're comfortable in helps rekindle lost effort.
 Earth Mama
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/17/2009 3:01:33 PM
I agree with the guy who posted that giving up would be the greatest mistake. Also his statement that we shouldn't consider mistakes as a term involving our art, we should consider them to be "discoveries" and "lessons".....and apply that to almost anything inlife.
Especially when writing and answering emails on POF.
 hereshecomesagain
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/17/2009 4:26:57 PM
we shouldn't consider mistakes as a term involving our art, we should consider them to be "discoveries" and "lessons".....and apply that to almost anything inlife

yEaH sure. This is a platitude that keeps recurring in this thread. I think if I see it again, I'm gonna pewk. Not only is it something so cliche' and trite that an average kindergartener knows it, but it's an argument of semantics by dressing up a white elephant in pretty clothes. It's the spoonful of sugar that helps the medicine go down, but one still has to swallow what they'd rather not.

Not a one of the artists here posted does NOT have that approach, and if the OP is read, you'll see it there too. You can't rename a mistake and learn from it and reframe it until it has been acknowledged for what it is in the first place.

The resource of advice I am seeking for myself and others is a collection of personal stories that show the aha moment when we knew we turned down the wrong path, and also advice on how to stay on the right one, or at least on how to return to it.

People who can't provide a personal story of a mistake and what "discovery" they made from it, either haven't made any discoveries to share or are making the mistake of believing that platitudes alone can carry folks through hard times or keep them in the good.

Share, but please don't lecture. Artists in general can't stand to be told what to do by someone who hasn't walked in their shoes.

No offense meant to the posters who tried to help us with the sage preschool advice, I'm just saying, it's not fully appreciated.
 rickxyz
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/17/2009 4:44:06 PM
wow hsca, that was brutal, but I think I like it! I made two mistakes 1. Hung out with too many people that didn't have the same drive as me and 2. I was never good enough at networking, or finding a place for myself in the industry. I did quit, my goal was all or nothing by age 27, well it didn't happen, but a career came along and has comfortably payed the bills ever since. For me the time invested to put on a good show or make great recordings needs some kind of payoff, not nessessarily monetary....at some point I found it easier to just appreciate all the great artists/music out there and just be a fan.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Your biggest mistake as an artist?