Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Beauty over 45 - Susan Boyle      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DivineBovine
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Beauty over 45 - Susan BoylePage 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

The only reason people judged her before hearing her was because she is crazy.....

and since you just happen to live in the same town she does you know her personally and know this is true, right?

*sheesh*

are you going into every thread about her you can find here on PoF just to tell people this?

she's very talented, and in every interview i've seen with her (and there are now dozens), she comes across as sweet and genuine and a bit naive, but not remotely "crazy". your post smacks of petty sour grapes.
 *Don*
Msg: 52
Beauty over 45 - Susan Boyle
Posted: 4/17/2009 8:23:51 AM

The only reason people judged her before hearing her was because she is crazy.....and you can tell that, if she walked up and acted normal people would have been different, I dont think its about looks...... {msg. 56}

Well, Ms. Scottish Goddess, you have your opinion, I'm sure. As for me, I only go by what I see and hear. She had an opportunity to perform and show her talent in front of a hall of hundreds and a camera of thousands -- no easy task in itself, for even an experienced performer. Not only did she do it flawlessly with her talent in full display, but she also revealed a truly magnetic personality that nearly everyone was able to recognize.

People that do things like what Ms. Susan Boyle has done, have my respect. People who post somewhat 'catty' and unsubstantiated comments in public forums such as you have done, do not.

D
 peek~a~booo
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/17/2009 8:37:10 AM
People whom pretend that you can transplant energy with surgury just got the truth slapped in there faces...to think you could spend thousands looking for spirit and than have some unassuming lady blow you out of your entitled chairs has to be the biggist rub. sweet like the smell if fresh rain....you know that smell that you can not pretend to duplicate...let the twits who sell esteem compete at that level.

123carrie
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2009 8:38:42 AM
The best part of it all was the look on Simon's face when she started to sing.....he's so arrogant and judgmental and here is this lone woman who does not resemble the typical participants and she was the one who brought Simon to his knees....I hope this wake up call continues to remind us all that the surface does not always tell the true story....
 Gladys Friday
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/17/2009 8:55:00 AM
Oh my gosh, how amazing! I saw her on tv & was just pleased that she made the ole SCowls jaw drop.
I have a guy friend like that. His packaging is all wrong, he is just plain ugly. Too tall, too skinny, huge ears, a buck tooth, constant runny nose. A really nice person, but not someone you would even want to approach, he kind of looks scarey. But when he sings the blues, the hair on your neck stands up & you get shivers all over. The man is suddenly beautiful, very surprising & amazing. Can't tell a book by it's cover.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2009 9:42:01 AM
Susan is a fantastic talent, and far from being crazy, I found her to be refreshingly down to earth in her approach to things like the question about her age, as if age had anything to do with her musical talents.

I do think it true, however, that the talents of professional groomers associated with the music business would likely transform her appearance, and that in the end, should she follow a career, she will do well to accept their ministrations. I have previously seen the effects of this type of attention on a woman of similar presentation who became a TV personality, and while the person herself did not change, her career was enhances by a good wardrobe, hair style and makeup.

I personally doubt that she would progress too far as a professional singer with her current presentation, but it will certainly be interesting to see how things develop. She certainly delivered one of the most moving performances I have ever seen.
 Kaptain Obvious
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/17/2009 9:43:19 AM
About that Diane Sawyer interview supposedly being 'SHALLOW'.....

Perhaps some of you never quite understand what it is actually like to be the one made fun of, or the one who tries their whole life to have what supposed 'normal' people have....but for some reason...which usually resorts around LOOKS, can never get noticed for whatever reason. And though each of us MIGHT have endured some certain insecurities from certain instances where we were "JUDGED".....TRUST me... most whine about the few instances they went through....while the ones who endured FAR MORE simply don't WHINE anymore...because they know that even their WHINES will be outdone by 'the mediocre'..... Ones like Susan just take their lot and stop talking about it.... because if they do, they'll be told "GET OVER IT". It's always funny how ones like Susan actually have BETTER sense of humors than the ones who haven't endured quite so much. To know what they endured or what they dreamed adds the 'human' touch to it.

Every time I watch the video, I'm reminded of a man I auditioned ten years ago.... He was blind... not attractive... and dressed kind of slovenly the day I auditioned him. Wrinkled T-shirt.

When I met him...he had already had a Phd in philosophy from Michigan State. He tried for five years to get a job as a professor, but no university would hire him. More than likely because of his blindness. He hadn't had a girlfriend in twenty years since loosing his site at sixteen from Glaucoma. His income was about eight thousand dollars a year, living on public assistance and playing little small gigs at VFW halls from time to time. He was self sufficient, independent, took the bus everywhere....but he clearly had NOT gotten a break.

But he could play stride piano like nobody's business. And when I auditioned him, he played The Entertainer... rag time BLIND. He had a passable voice, but that could be worked on.

Everybody said I was crazy when I hired him for a job. I told them he would work, and I knew WHY he would work.. He would be able to HEAR what most people in the same position would not even be able to SEE.

Basically, I took him under my wing for two years to train him. Worked him hard. But he took to it all...

Later, I placed him at a gig in Austin, Texas... And as USUAL, the BEAUTIFUL people tried to outcast him in the group. But he proved them wrong.

He then went on to go to UT to study computers during the day, WHILE playing at night.... He graduated...got hired by IBM...and now has TWO patents for software for the blind... He then found somebody on EHarmony, of all places....got married... and now has a kid.

I know other stories of people like this... but this was one of the most impactful ones for me in my life....

What I'm saying is.... To some...that interview from Diane Sawyer may seem irrelevant. But it's only irrelevant to those who would never understand the SHIT that other people like that have had to endure until they got their break. These are the types who probably spout out "GET OVER IT" when other people are telling their stories. And it's a testament to tell other people that...it MIGHT take awhile....but with a little luck... God will put you where you need to be at just the right moment...and somebody will come along and say........YES.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2009 10:01:06 AM
our friend Ren posted this on another forum -

listen to THIS, mes amies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ

whoa!

Susan Boyle is the real deal!
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2009 10:32:30 AM
Don ~~ Our catty commenter is young, and very pretty. . . . She kind of *has* to believe all the attention she's getting is because of her great personality, smarts, and general goodness. With luck, she'll grow into wisdom. If not, she's got one long hard road ahead. Wish her luck!

OldFolkie
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2009 10:38:27 AM
Thank you, Divine! She is indeed the "real deal". It's incredible how fast this "newly discovered" song of hers is spreading around the world.
 Frau Blücher
Msg: 61
Posted: 4/17/2009 10:41:00 AM

Susan Boyle is the real deal!

I’ll say she is! Thank you for sharing this. I LOVE that song. Of course, now I’m crying a river.
 OldFolkie
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2009 10:44:16 AM
I don't think you're alone, FrauBlucher. I got a bit misty eyed listening to that song too. What a gift she has! And what an inspiration she is becoming to all of us.
 cantgetout
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/17/2009 12:51:23 PM
Ismene2 - I agree that the issue is likely not her looks. In fact, I didn't start this thread (I am the OP) to talk about whether she had "dating beauty" - it was her intensely human beauty of spirit that made me regard her as having beauty.

As you point out, many people who look like her ARE married, especially in Britain. I have noticed that British men often date/marry women who are - to be blunt, by North American standards - considerably plainer than the men, or at least not equally attractive. I once asked a young English guy about this - he said that, in his opinion, British men are often intimidated and even a bit put off by pretty women (perhaps, worrying that if they take up with one, they'll get dumped or someone will steal her away). In contrast, I often feel that here in North America, the goal is always to go for "the best" or "the perfect", sometimes at the cost of ending up with no one.

In Susan Boyle's case, as you point out, I can't help but think that she was probably shy and awkward. I also wondered if, perhaps, she might have been more comfortable with a woman, but also couldn't deal with that "option". Some people are uncomfortable examining their sexuality much. Also living with her elderly mother probably eliminated that, and just about any other option! (I am not, btw, condemning people who live with their parents - it's just generally rather limiting.)
 ringo17
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2009 1:55:13 PM
I think Miss Boyle is just fine emotionally. I get the feeling that she has faced her demons and made peace with herself. We all have sanguine moments in thinking of our lives in total, but Boyle strikes me as a doer who got herself up,entered the arena and knew all along that she was going to knock em' dead. She summoned her courage, stood in the fray unyielding and happy to be alive.

That's why I cried.
 best kept secret
Msg: 65
Posted: 4/17/2009 5:44:22 PM
WoW..."Cry Me A River"....I am a big fan ...even bigger now!

I'm looking forward to her future recordings

Her voice is crystal!
 *Starstuff*
Msg: 66
Posted: 4/17/2009 5:47:46 PM
The woman judge on the show has said that they are not going to do a make over on her. That seems to be a wise decision. Changing her looks in an extreme way would change the lesson many people need to learn about looks vs. really seeing the whole person. (personality, talents, caring, etc.)
 syphoned
Msg: 67
Posted: 4/18/2009 2:31:23 AM
How come we get 90% more response when we hang a picture on our profiles? Cause we can't sing. JK
 Scottish_Goddess
Msg: 68
Posted: 4/18/2009 5:09:51 AM
Haha,

*Don* I dont need or want your respect, but thanks anyway.

And I also dont live in West Lothian, I live in East Lothian....

I am not disputing the fact she has talent, she clearly does....but I was trying to say is that people were shocked because of the way she acted before she sang.........

I personally dont think she is the bee's knees, any one who lives of state benefit and my hard earned taxes isnt very respected in my eyes dispite having talent or not.........

P.s This is the only thread I posted MY opinions.......And if im catty well it takes one to know one.........
 DivineBovine
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 6:14:16 AM
^^^child, you deliberately came into a forum for people in Ms. Boyle's age range - people who are more than twice your age - and you did it only for the purpose of slagging off Ms. Boyle.

you might want to consider learning proper grammar and spelling before trash-talking someone who lives on what is called "welfare" in this part of the world. and it's obvious you aren't familiar with the life stories of some of the winners/finalists of American Idol, or you'd know that, in the United States in particular, people love "The Underdog".

that Ms. Boyle perseveres despite reduced circumstances makes her appearance on Britain's Got Talent even more compelling.

and, for the record, there are millions of people all over the world who are currently unemployed due to the economic crisis of the past year. there's no shame in not having a job.

would you be so cavalier next week, if suddenly you found yourself unemployed?

and since you live on the other side of Edinburgh, how do you know Ms. Boyle is "crazy"? is that how young people in the UK feel about people with learning disabilities?

your two posts on this thread indicate that Ms. Boyle has more grace and class in her little finger than you probably do in that pretty head.
 TryAgan
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 6:35:15 AM
Another Out-Of-Ordinary Beauty over 45 - our Canadian treasure - Rita MacNeil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl9p_yDntfY
 Scottish_Goddess
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/18/2009 6:37:57 AM
I didnt "Deliberately" come into a forum to Slag of Susan boyle thats slightly exaggerated!

You are correct im not aware of any life stories of any American Idol winners/Finalists. But good for Susan (being the underdog), I hope she does win, as Britains got talent never let Scotland audition at one point. And she is now representing our country......But excuse me, I obtained my jobs during the recession.....why cant SUSAN?

And as it happens I have more qualifications in English Lit than you have had HOT dinners! And I am an Adult not a child.

"despite reduced circumstances" Awww come on! I think some one who had been working hard all there life bring up children on thier own ect would be far more compelling than Susan Boyle....???

I realise you are just arguing with me for the sake of it.....but good luck...I always get the last word
 *topchef*
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/18/2009 6:47:17 AM
Susan Boyle is a gift. She personifies grace, dignity and an inner beauty and humility far greater than we are accustomed to. In these times of instant gratification, media darlings and pop culture icons, she is a breath of fresh air. Her confidence is not bolstered by legions of adoring fans, but by her inner strength and character, knowing who she is, and a lack of reluctance to admit her truths. The fact that she so charmingly reveals her self effacing truths is more evidence of how ingenuous she truly is.

Anyone who doesnt stop to consider how they project to the world through their thin fabricated veneer, an image of who they think they should be, has missed the point. What a lesson for all of us.

You go Girl!

^^^^Whatever circumstances have led to Miss Boyle being unemployed, I'm sure it is not her desire to be on the dole. I hope Miss Goddess you never have to be a victim of unemployment yourself. A little compassion would go a long way and would wear on you so much better than your unbenevolent criticism.
 l00kingAhead
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 7:15:02 AM
Not really my cup of tea (sorry, I couldn't resist the punn) but I can stille appreciate the the irony of our taste in beauty. No matter how objectice I try to be, it seems I continue to find examples that prove me otherwise.

Thanks for a good post, it's so nice to comment on a topic other than "why do men always..."

Joel
 l00kingAhead
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2009 7:38:22 AM
Stille? Oh good grief!

surely im shirley
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/18/2009 7:38:31 AM
We based our expectations on appearance and perception, and Susan so totally surpassed those expectations and humbled us all! In a world where appearance is so overrated, we learned a valuable lesson. Thank you Susan! Although people will help you to change your appearance, please don't let it change the cute, quirky and genuine person that you so obviously are.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Beauty over 45 - Susan Boyle