Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DivineBovine
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Beauty over 45 - Susan BoylePage 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

You can make your appearance a priority and still be real...

thank you for saying that. not all of us who work in the beauty industry are the air-brushed faces in front of the cameras, but appearance does matter.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Beauty over 45 - Susan Boyle
Posted: 4/24/2009 11:41:36 AM

...the less than handsome Lyle Lovett.

Lot's of women dig Lyle Lovett because of his giraffe-like countenance and unusually tall haircut, which makes him look like he's about 6'6". Height matters. Alot. If he was five foot nuthin' you'd never have heard of him.

Point being, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

And so is being butt ugly...
 browneyesboo
Msg: 113
Posted: 7/20/2009 2:44:48 PM
I had to read a couple of these posts twice to believe they said what I
thought they said.
I can hear the irony drum beating from here.
 readyornot57
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2009 4:25:34 PM
You know who left his wife after she was disfigured in a car accident?

John McCain. He told some people he had trouble looking at her.
 *topchef*
Msg: 117
Posted: 7/20/2009 6:26:24 PM
WOW! I worked on the John McCain campain and i will tell you that he and Cindy and daughter are the nicest and sweetest people

I'm sure they were and that is how they made you feel (and why wouldnt they treat their support staff with respect), but what the previous poster is referring to is John McCain's 1st wife, who he did leave after he found she was disfigured in a car accident, upon his return from a tour of duty. This is well documented through interviews with Carol McCain herself. A month after their divorce, he married Cindy. No one could argue that at 18 years his junior, the new Mrs. McCain is more of a trophy wife.

There is a saying....Many a man owes his success to his first wife and his second wife to his success. ~Jim Backus

As far as Susan Boyle goes, anyone should have seen the difficulties coming...for someone unfamiliar with the sharp glare of the spotlight, and the judgemental nature of the public, they took a gentle, innocent person and put her through the celebrity meat grinder. I hope she has the support and friendships she needs to see her through the challenges, she has no doubt, yet to face.

V V V Edit: I agree....attraction definitely has to be there!!
 jeeperspeepers
Msg: 120
Posted: 7/20/2009 7:25:19 PM
Msg #136 -- Seems to be a contradiction....you agree that it is so sad ....too hung up on looks versus who the person is....yet no matter how good she treats you or what she does for you looks are the first important thing"

How superficial can you be. How sad for you. And sad for the many people like you.
 no_excuses_please
Msg: 123
Posted: 7/21/2009 12:41:32 PM
Susan Boyle "fame" from here being presented as being so unattractive.
Her singing was great...
It was just her looks ..or rather her lack thereof that was presented as being the issue....

If you are attractive when you are younger..failing serious health issues or an accident, you should remain as such into middle-age or even the golden years.
But looks are only the doorway...
The inside of the house is what matters
 Fifi47
Msg: 126
Posted: 7/27/2009 7:37:39 PM
She has made some changes in her appearance and dresses to suit her body shape and looks like a typical average looking middle aged women now to most people I suppose. I must not know all these hot looking middle aged women some men think they deserve to date. My acquaintances and friends are probably typical looking women to most men, and they have romantic partners and husbands who love them in spite of the fact they are not hot looking women.
 amethyst10616
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2009 10:10:24 PM
Hot is in the eye of the beholder. I envy little in this life, but I do envy those who found life-long love the first time.

I hope that Susan has a long and rewarding career. She is plain, not ugly but her voice is beautiful beyond words.
 ~Azul Ojos~
Msg: 128
Posted: 8/6/2009 7:12:11 PM
nowmagazine.co.uk/celebrity-news/tv-news/386026/see-pics-susan-boyle-s-harper-s-bazaar-makeover-unveiled/1/

Susan has had a makeover with Harper Bazaar magazine and looks really good. Good for her I say... She definitely has a wonderful voice and deserves only good things in the future.
 Fifi47
Msg: 130
Posted: 8/6/2009 8:20:54 PM
Many people in our society fail to meet the minimum needs of what is attractive to me because they fail to take care of themselves- they abuse themselves with drugs and/or alcohol, are unhealthy emotionally or are drawn to people of the opposite sex who use and abuse them, they fail to take care of the opportunites they have been given for an education but then gripe about educated people getting jobs, etc. etc, etc,.

Humility, empathy and manners are rare these days.
 ~Azul Ojos~
Msg: 132
Posted: 8/9/2009 5:49:19 PM
(Justinfoote)

"Virtually every single singer I have seen perform this song sang it better than Susan Boyle.
All of the various performances of Susan Boyle I have seen point to her being a woman with an excellent voice quality and almost zero musicianship. She has little sense of timing, and I would be surprised if she could sing songs other than ballads. Ballads are among the easiest songs to sing because they usually afford lots of time to breathe and to prepare to belt.
Everything I have read about Susan Boyle, and the interviews I have seen, seem to suggest that she is a woman of limited social skills, limited brainpower, with few friends and fewer accomplishments. I do not subscribe to the theory that all damaged people are "beautiful." In fact, compared to most of the people I know with social or relational disabilities, Ms. Boyle seems fairly unpleasant. But I am also quite convinced that I know virtually nothing about Susan Boyle the person - would that everyone else writing here realized the same thing. I just happen to think that I don't really much WANT to know her."

This post started so positively and appreciatory about a person who has a wonderful talent, her gift of singing. I have always tried to remain neutral after reading the forums and read all the negativity… but goodness…. Why would you be negative about an innocent, naïve, humble person like SB… Whatever happens to her can only be an improvement on the simplistic life she had before she was “discovered”. Just enjoy the voice, and stop looking at the appearance… Who cares who would be attracted to her, just enjoy the music!

Negativity is so unbecoming and ugly… Not many are attracted to that attribute.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 133
Posted: 8/9/2009 5:56:07 PM
Exactly...

You know, some people can't appreciate the beauty of a rose, because all they can see is that its roots are in the dirt.
 amethyst10616
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2009 11:54:18 PM
She has an incredibly beautiful voice and I think she sings it better than anyone else I have heard sing that song. The world public thinks she is amazing and I am guessing that she will have a successful career.

She did look beautiful for the magazine shoot and good for her!
 StatuesqueLuckyCharm!
Msg: 136
Posted: 8/14/2009 12:02:29 PM
Susan Boyle you rock You showed "the youngens" that you could "wow" them, and wow them you did
 MondoVman
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2010 9:38:13 PM
Excuse me Mr. SAAAM (Strangely Attractive As A Man)! It (an unsightly puss-filled growth on the dermus, often on one's arse, knee cap, or the end of one's nose) is spelled B-O-I-L, not "boyle", this side of the Atlantic. Sheeesh!
 late™
Msg: 141
Posted: 4/21/2010 9:49:38 PM

I do think she spent a lot of time singing along to Elaine Page albums.

Bingo! - rote/regurgitation

But to her benefit, most can't tell the difference between musicianship and affect with a bit o' moxy.
 ronosaurus
Msg: 143
Posted: 4/22/2010 6:41:28 AM
Elaine Paige proposed recording a duet with Susan Boyle during a BBC broadcast (see below).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNkbTIbH_Gk&feature=related
That duet is available via the URL below; it speaks for itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o8PgJPUjfo&NR=1
 kari135
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 11:56:03 AM
I liked Susan Boyle, and some of my friends who are professional musicians did also. What most of those who have posted here seem to have forgotten is that Susan Boyle performed in an AMATEUR show - it had nothing whatsoever to do with professional musicianship. For her, it was all about finally being able to sing in front of a live audience.

I also find it somewhat interesting that some of those who were most critical of her appearance are also those who complain the most about how picky the other sex can be when it comes to making snap judgments based on profile photos. What ever happened to that not judging a book by it's cover attitude?
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 2:01:09 PM
ugh. ok, boyle is an earnest soul with a good voice, but the 'boyle phenomenon' is completely manufactured. it's just another form of entertainment industry product - repackaging the story of the ugly duckling who becomes a swan. look at the responses here that reflect image manipulation - she's so wonderful, a saint. yeah, whatever. she's a novelty cynically used to disarm consumers jaded by the cliches of industry polish and packaging.

and the makeover part of it is the most telling aspect that she's product. her appeal is largely based on being an outsider - frumpy and plain and unkissed. polish up her looks and you start to take away her outsider status, and therefore her appeal, and that's the road to phasing her out in favor of the next bit of product to be marketed.
 MondoVman
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 8:27:21 PM
Ya. And has anyone besides me noticed how someone always props Steven Hawking's head just so so he looks evermore dashing and soooo much more sexy than he would with his head flopped willy nilly one way or the other?! Ugh! the noive of him and his caretaker! Give us back the old Steven please!

Always enlightening to read that the prissiest of prisses can still diss a plain jane with an incredible talent just because she (dares to!) dresses herself up, regardless her reasoning. Every heard of Auretha Franklin, Ella Fitzgerald, Mama Cass, Kate Smith?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 150
Posted: 4/27/2010 12:38:50 PM
I like the Susan Boyle story.
Her dream came true...not all of us can say that.
Who cares if they remade her to look better..
she could disappear tomorrow knowing that
she made an impact on many and inspired a
few...what the heck is wrong with that?

She's like any other singer in my opinion...if
you don't like her...don't listen. Her vioice isn't
the best I've heard, but it's better than most of the
people I know and I don't see them making records.

christ on a crutch
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2010 5:19:24 PM

she could disappear tomorrow knowing that
she made an impact on many and inspired a
few...what the heck is wrong with that?

nothing, per se, same as there's nothing wrong with children believing a fat, hairy man from the north pole cares about them enough to leave gifts under their tree every year. the problem arises when people grow to adulthood but can't discern a fiction, and don't question why one is being presented, and by whom. in this case some of the wealthiest conglomerates on the planet, with marketing budgets larger than the GDPs of some nations.

i'm happy for susan boyle. i perform music; i understand what it means to her to get her moment in the spotlight. i'm just not buying into the seduction of the underdog myth.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 152
Posted: 4/29/2010 7:00:43 AM

nothing, per se, same as there's nothing wrong with children believing a fat, hairy man from the north pole cares about them enough to leave gifts under their tree every year. the problem arises when people grow to adulthood but can't discern a fiction, and don't question why one is being presented, and by whom. in this case some of the wealthiest conglomerates on the planet, with marketing budgets larger than the GDPs of some nations.

i'm happy for susan boyle. i perform music; i understand what it means to her to get her moment in the spotlight. i'm just not buying into the seduction of the underdog myth.

Well color me as one who still believes magic is possible. Who doesn't assume
everyone in the world is out to get me and everyone has an ulterior motive. Kudos
to Susan Boyle...she was an underdog and she overcame the myth, but it's comforting
to know that people will scoff anyway...even if cheering causes them no pain. All is
right with the world.

femaleandflirty
Msg: 153
Posted: 9/15/2011 6:02:20 PM
However Susan Boyle has since been done over and revamped in order to gain more success but she has a small fan base still and I dont imagine many are men. At her age you wouldnt expect it of course......

Sex sells and always will. Look at Kylie Minogue, minor singing talent but has pizzazz and looks and uses her sex appeal, same could be said of Madonna... and many others.......

Susan mentors up and coming talent and is very happy with her life and dreams do come true, I guess is the lesson here.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >