Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ronosaurus
Msg: 143
Beauty over 45 - Susan BoylePage 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Elaine Paige proposed recording a duet with Susan Boyle during a BBC broadcast (see below).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNkbTIbH_Gk&feature=related
That duet is available via the URL below; it speaks for itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o8PgJPUjfo&NR=1
 kari135
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Beauty over 45 - Susan Boyle
Posted: 4/24/2010 11:56:03 AM
I liked Susan Boyle, and some of my friends who are professional musicians did also. What most of those who have posted here seem to have forgotten is that Susan Boyle performed in an AMATEUR show - it had nothing whatsoever to do with professional musicianship. For her, it was all about finally being able to sing in front of a live audience.

I also find it somewhat interesting that some of those who were most critical of her appearance are also those who complain the most about how picky the other sex can be when it comes to making snap judgments based on profile photos. What ever happened to that not judging a book by it's cover attitude?
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 2:01:09 PM
ugh. ok, boyle is an earnest soul with a good voice, but the 'boyle phenomenon' is completely manufactured. it's just another form of entertainment industry product - repackaging the story of the ugly duckling who becomes a swan. look at the responses here that reflect image manipulation - she's so wonderful, a saint. yeah, whatever. she's a novelty cynically used to disarm consumers jaded by the cliches of industry polish and packaging.

and the makeover part of it is the most telling aspect that she's product. her appeal is largely based on being an outsider - frumpy and plain and unkissed. polish up her looks and you start to take away her outsider status, and therefore her appeal, and that's the road to phasing her out in favor of the next bit of product to be marketed.
 MondoVman
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2010 8:27:21 PM
Ya. And has anyone besides me noticed how someone always props Steven Hawking's head just so so he looks evermore dashing and soooo much more sexy than he would with his head flopped willy nilly one way or the other?! Ugh! the noive of him and his caretaker! Give us back the old Steven please!

Always enlightening to read that the prissiest of prisses can still diss a plain jane with an incredible talent just because she (dares to!) dresses herself up, regardless her reasoning. Every heard of Auretha Franklin, Ella Fitzgerald, Mama Cass, Kate Smith?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 150
Posted: 4/27/2010 12:38:50 PM
I like the Susan Boyle story.
Her dream came true...not all of us can say that.
Who cares if they remade her to look better..
she could disappear tomorrow knowing that
she made an impact on many and inspired a
few...what the heck is wrong with that?

She's like any other singer in my opinion...if
you don't like her...don't listen. Her vioice isn't
the best I've heard, but it's better than most of the
people I know and I don't see them making records.

christ on a crutch
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2010 5:19:24 PM

she could disappear tomorrow knowing that
she made an impact on many and inspired a
few...what the heck is wrong with that?

nothing, per se, same as there's nothing wrong with children believing a fat, hairy man from the north pole cares about them enough to leave gifts under their tree every year. the problem arises when people grow to adulthood but can't discern a fiction, and don't question why one is being presented, and by whom. in this case some of the wealthiest conglomerates on the planet, with marketing budgets larger than the GDPs of some nations.

i'm happy for susan boyle. i perform music; i understand what it means to her to get her moment in the spotlight. i'm just not buying into the seduction of the underdog myth.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 152
Posted: 4/29/2010 7:00:43 AM

nothing, per se, same as there's nothing wrong with children believing a fat, hairy man from the north pole cares about them enough to leave gifts under their tree every year. the problem arises when people grow to adulthood but can't discern a fiction, and don't question why one is being presented, and by whom. in this case some of the wealthiest conglomerates on the planet, with marketing budgets larger than the GDPs of some nations.

i'm happy for susan boyle. i perform music; i understand what it means to her to get her moment in the spotlight. i'm just not buying into the seduction of the underdog myth.

Well color me as one who still believes magic is possible. Who doesn't assume
everyone in the world is out to get me and everyone has an ulterior motive. Kudos
to Susan Boyle...she was an underdog and she overcame the myth, but it's comforting
to know that people will scoff anyway...even if cheering causes them no pain. All is
right with the world.

femaleandflirty
Msg: 153
Posted: 9/15/2011 6:02:20 PM
However Susan Boyle has since been done over and revamped in order to gain more success but she has a small fan base still and I dont imagine many are men. At her age you wouldnt expect it of course......

Sex sells and always will. Look at Kylie Minogue, minor singing talent but has pizzazz and looks and uses her sex appeal, same could be said of Madonna... and many others.......

Susan mentors up and coming talent and is very happy with her life and dreams do come true, I guess is the lesson here.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >