Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Solar and Wind Power..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..Page 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
As for nukes not being affected by floods..88 hours..less now, to restore auxilary power before core damage. Powerlines may be coming undermined by the flooding, and the levees were not designed for a flood of this magnitude or length.

http://enenews.com/auxiliary-building-ft-calhoun-surrounded-water-nrc-letter-water-enters-auxilary-building-could-station-blackout-core-damage-hours

Dam failure still considered a potentially catastophic nail in the coffin.
http://enenews.com/inland-tsunami-dam-breaking-could-inundate-nuke-plant-equivalent-fukushimas-tsunami-audio

And ya just can't trust the industry to tell the truth.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/japanese-scientist-fukushima-meltdown-occurred-within-hours-of-quake/2011/05/26/AGYXSJCH_story.html
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/26/2011 6:40:07 PM
Get real, buddy, real estate prices are in the dumpster across the board for reasons that have nothing to do with nuclear power. And to be frank, you oppose all nuclear power installations whether or not they are located in problematic areas, this is just one more thin excuse which happens to be convenient for your silly case.

What happened at TMI has produced no lasting damage, ZERO casualties, and indeed power is still being produced there from TMI 1 and will continue to be forthcoming until 2034. In 2010, Forbes magazine rated Harrisburg highly as a place to live despite its proximity to the infamous site. Your argument lacks substance from a historical perspective.

Why don't you go down to the local hemodialysis clinic and scold the patients for being such power piggies and get them to go GREEN for their treatments? I'm sure they would respect you as much as I do.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/26/2011 7:26:58 PM
Seriously buddy...Hibernian, I was looking to you and the pronuke, proradioactive crowd to pull us out of this spiral. Ya have the vision and the capitalism behind you to prove the naysayers wrong. Better well done than well said, as Ben Frankline noted long ago. Put your money where your mouth is. With all the answers, trust in the system and the government, a true capitalist would invest now while the panic is in full. Do not wait! Prices will not be this cheap again! You too, can retire in one year by taking advantage of this undue panic. Invest now.

Back to reality. Do you honestly believe that the nuclear legacy is without mortality? Pretty sad to be that ignorant and in denial. This is why thinking people find it difficult to waste time with sock puppets and trolls. Show us consistency, investment in what your believe, and pump up the Japanese economy in the aftermath with your enthusiasm. Send your investment portfolio as proof.
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/26/2011 7:46:10 PM
"At a theoretical 29% efficiency, solar is still a good deal considering enough sunlight hits the surface of the earth each day to run the planet for a year. Coal power is only rated at around 31% efficiency, and biomass electric scams run at around 25% efficiency. Ethanol is the worst, consuming more energy to make it than it produces.

Of course none of these efficiency ratings reflect full environmental and social cost accounting.

The GE plant will be producing 400 MW worth of panels annually to compete for the projected 75 GW growth in demand for solar in the next 5 years.

Yeah...wind is needed for wind farms. There are days they don't do a whole lot, and days where they really crank out the energy. Last time I looked, nature wasn't making coal as fast as we use it either. Or Uranium. The Grand Canyon just got a reprieve from death by uranium mining...for now."

- Earthpuppy

Good news, Mr. Data-deficient Guy, we don't need lots of Uranium for a robust nuclear economy- true! Thorium is three times as abundant as Uranium and we can use that too, once clothead environmentalists are out of the equation.

Hey, you want to talk MORTALITY? Look at the road outside buddy, it kills THOUSANDS EVERY YEAR and people still drive. NOT going nuclear has mortality costs too, weigh them in if your bias will let you. FOR EXAMPLE, as percentage of power output, solar kills more than nuclear!

Because WHY?

Because handyman special idiots fall off roof putting up piddle power PV panels so often!

http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/03/deaths-per-twh-by-energy-source.html
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/26/2011 8:00:00 PM
Yep...a couple of guys fall off a roof installing panels in a couple of years, while a million acre dead zone and millions are exposed to unhealthy doses of radiation...perhaps hundreds of millions...and the food chain accumulates from just one nuke accident generations of fallout....Hmmm. reality much? Your repeated lies about negative nuke deaths withstanding, the rest of your adolescent ad hominems and inability to answer in kind need a bit of work as well.

Just curious about how much power Fusion and Throium have produced thus far vs. Solar, wind, and efficiency and conservation in reducing our needs and greeds. Last I heard the Fusion project had investors running like rats off a sinking ship.

The newest western debacle to drive up consumption is home entertainment devices that are now the biggest hogs of the western style of waste and consumption. THESE are what dictate the need to liquidate mountains, the Grand Canyon, and leave a legacy of millions of years of unregulated nuke poop?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/us/26cable.html?_r=1&hp

The wasteful, arrogant, ignorant, western consumeroids, driven into such lifestyles, think this is a normal human behavior, when in fact, we suffer under a cultural psychosis of extraordinary levels of denial and willful ignorance.
http://www.projectworldawareness.com/2010/09/american-psychosis-what-happens-to-a-society-that-cannot-distinguish-between-reality-and-illusion/
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/26/2011 8:48:13 PM
To what "dead zone" do you refer? Perhaps Harrisburg, PA? Define "dead zone" if you can in your usual overly dramatic fashion.

RE: fusion and thorium, when they come online, arguments of this sort will be unnecessary. Current status is research in France funded by a consortium of nations for fusion plus national research around the globe and on thorium, energetic research in India, site of enormous thorium reserves.

I amended the post above with a source for figures, take it up with the authors of the study. Returning to Fukushima, and your crocodile tears for the Japanese economy:

Tadashi Maeda, member of the Japanese cabinet and
chief of the Corporate Planning Department of the Japan Bank for
International Cooperation, has proposed the nationalization of
all nuclear power plants in Japan as a means to get past the
current crisis and to secure the long-term viability of atomic
energy.

In an interview with the influential "Asahi Shimbun", Maeda
advanced two reasons for nationalization; compensation and public
confidence.

Tokyo Electric Power Company is facing immense claims to
compensate those displaced by the Fukushima crisis, along with
the cost of controlling and cleaning up the Fukushima compound.
These costs not only threaten the viability of TEPCO as a
company, but the economic viability of the Japanese nuclear
industry as a whole. Private companies, such as TEPCO, cannot
handle single-event costs of this type, which exceed their
insurance coverage, wheras as a government can. Early on in the
crisis, Prime Minister Naota Kan had declared that the
unprecedented March 11 earthquake and tsunami were not covered by
the provision of Japanese law that limited company liability in
"act of God" cases.

The Japanese government has not allowed any Japanese
reactors to return to service since March 11, no matter why they
were shut down. Some 34 of Japan's 54 nuclear power plants are
down as of now, and 30% of Japan's electricity coming from
nuclear, it is very uncertain whether the country can get through
the high-demand summer months without blackouts. There is a vast
range of energy-saving measures in effect, disrupting life in the
country and curtailing Japanese production. If current policy is
continued, by April 2012, all Japanese nuclear power plants will
be shut.

Maeda asserts that government control will allow closed
nuclear facilities to be restarted. "If reactors cannot be
restarted after regular safety checks, all the reactors in Japan
would be out of service in the first half of next year. That
would cause a serious nationwide power shortage and deliver a
heavy blow to the economy. If a state-run operator takes charge
of nuclear power plants, the central government, along with the
local governments concerned, would be responsible for the
decisions as to whether reactors should be put back to work.
There is currently a lot of anxiety among the public (about
nuclear power facilities) because the central government is not
committed clearly to their safety."
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/26/2011 8:58:21 PM
http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/features/2011/06/201161664828302638.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/japanese-scientist-fukushima-meltdown-occurred-within-hours-of-quake/2011/05/26/AGYXSJCH_story.html

Yes...we must always bow to authorities or fall on our swords. Notice how honor has fallen by the wayside in Japanese culture since they made a deal with their devils? Truthiness has infested this once noble culture as well.
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/26/2011 9:22:05 PM
What "dead zone"? Some Zombie-infested wasteland even now peopled with indignant glowing samurai of the past, re-animated in George Romero fashion?

I excuse you from providing the no doubt absurd answer IF you have already fallen on your solar-powered chainsaw...
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/27/2011 10:05:32 PM
Maybe you will like this article:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=wind-turbines-kill-bats
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/28/2011 11:27:09 AM
As a point of interest, this crossed my email today:

The cost benefit ratio of "coal fired" electricity vs "solar" will equalize or fall in favor of solar. In a recent report from Bloomberg news, Mr. Mark M. Little, the global research director for General Electric Co., predicts that solar power may be cheaper than electricity generated by fossil fuels within 3-5 years. A combination of rising energy prices with lower production cost and higher efficiency will make solar cost competitive with conventional coal fired electric generation. General Electric (GE) plans to invest in "advanced" solar panel manufacturing and expects to open a plant in 2013, employing over 400 people and make enough solar panels to power 80,000 homes. If this business plan unfolds as predicted, watch for explosive growth on all fronts the Solar industry. See full report: www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-26/solar-may-be-cheaper-than-fossil-power-in-five-years-ge-says.html
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/28/2011 12:35:27 PM
Old news regarding the plant, old sport, any news on the location selected? It will be of interest to see whether such rosy predictions come true for once, and whether local environmental groups are up in arms over the selenium, cadmium, and/or other materials used in their manufacture. Naturally, we would expect a company press release in the financial pages to be fair and balanced in the same way Enron's were- actually, I think ENRON was in the wind power business for a bit there, wasn't it?

Super irony here, the most abundant isotope(>95%) of indium is HORRORS! RADIOACTIVE! a beta particle emitter with a half life of 600 trillion years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_indium

Get earthpuppy to estimate the area of the "dead zone" surrounding such a facility for us, now, waterfall, there's a good chap. Poor old boy seems to be sulking, or to have fallen off the roof again putting more panels up there to accumulate bird droppings.

Noticed this on Bloomberg, too:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-28/home-prices-in-u-s-cities-decreased-4-in-april-from-year-ago.html

Must be more of those deadly nuclear "dead zones" earthpuppy is always reporting, ayup, ayup, CAN'T be any other explanation, nope, nope...
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/28/2011 1:16:18 PM
Not sure where your obsession with dead zones comes from. I referred to exclusionary zones and toxic wastelands left by the nuclear meltdown industry and the mining tailings wastelands. Might have been referring to a litany of the byproducts of hyper consumer culture in noting the growth of dead zones around the planet.
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0329-01.htm

Natural gas based nitrogen fertilizers are one of the largest causal factors in the biggest US dead zone in the Gulf. It grew commensurate with ethanol production, planting more fertilizer intensive corn than other crops. Ocean acidification is another by-product of fossil fuel use. Coral reefs, the nursery of much of the global ocean food chain, are dying off enmasse from status quo fossil fuel consumption. These increasing and increasingly dead zones are significant since nearly half the world's populace relies on fishing for a significant portion of their annual protein intake, and a half billion people are dependent on the fishing sectors.

Nope...solar panels at ground level, no fall danger there. And yes, I do also own a solar powered chainsaw. I handy little 18 v Black and Decker that I charge off my panels and keep handy to cut small trees and branches out of my driveway and the mountain roads after increasingly frequent and intense wind events.

PS...Hib...you CAN discuss issues with all the snide ad hominems. Just letting you know that the mods will cut you off at some point if you persist. I learned that the hard way when I first got on these forums. They like it better if we use adult rules of engagement.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/28/2011 2:07:54 PM
Oh oh..Really scarey news coming out on the wind energy disaster.
http://www.theonion.com/video/in-the-know-coal-lobby-warns-wind-farms-may-blow-e,20876/
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/28/2011 3:41:36 PM
Congrats paul..you are one of the few on the fringe right that understands that the Onion is a satire site. Sorry you forgot to laugh. It's becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate between satire and wingnut conspiracies.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/29/2011 4:29:29 PM
Interesting new breakthrough in flow battery design. Liked the concept of flow batteries, but the size was troubling.
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/flow-batteries-0606.html#.TgutJzWnWgI.facebook
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/29/2011 5:32:05 PM

Not sure where your obsession with dead zones comes from. I referred to exclusionary zones and toxic wastelands left by the nuclear meltdown industry and the mining tailings wastelands. Might have been referring to a litany of the byproducts of hyper consumer culture in noting the growth of dead zones around the planet.
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0329-01.htm

Natural gas based nitrogen fertilizers are one of the largest causal factors in the biggest US dead zone in the Gulf. It grew commensurate with ethanol production, planting more fertilizer intensive corn than other crops. Ocean acidification is another by-product of fossil fuel use. Coral reefs, the nursery of much of the global ocean food chain, are dying off enmasse from status quo fossil fuel consumption. These increasing and increasingly dead zones are significant since nearly half the world's populace relies on fishing for a significant portion of their annual protein intake, and a half billion people are dependent on the fishing sectors.

Nope...solar panels at ground level, no fall danger there. And yes, I do also own a solar powered chainsaw. I handy little 18 v Black and Decker that I charge off my panels and keep handy to cut small trees and branches out of my driveway and the mountain roads after increasingly frequent and intense wind events.

PS...Hib...you CAN discuss issues with all the snide ad hominems. Just letting you know that the mods will cut you off at some point if you persist. I learned that the hard way when I first got on these forums. They like it better if we use adult rules of engagement.

These "dead zones" have nothing to do with radiation or nuclear energy, previously you implied otherwise. As with the question of pollinators, you have chosen to abandon your position- so why adopt it in the first place?

You are in the habit of making preposterous claims, will the mods sanction YOU for that?

Since you bring up the point I might as well confess that I find the moderators here somewhat capricious- for no evident reason they will allow a blatantly attention seeking thread started by a Jerry Springer show reject go on and on, I have seen several cases of this. If I am not appreciated here I will decamp to a more congenial and consistent spot, I have been booted from better places than this, I assure you.
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/29/2011 6:27:05 PM

Interesting new breakthrough in flow battery design. Liked the concept of flow batteries, but the size was troubling.
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/flow-batteries-0606.html#.TgutJzWnWgI.facebook

So clarify, why do you applaud high energy density in batteries but not in original sources?
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 6/30/2011 10:38:44 PM
Agreed, dotcomrade.

Though it IS true that iffy, undependable, silly low-density power sources are best combined with batteries. Will environmentalists squawk in indignation when battery factories are built?

Time will tell.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 7/1/2011 1:24:19 AM
Currently there is around 20.000 times more solar energy hitting the planet than we use from all other energy sources each year. Those other sources are finite and becoming more expensive. We are past peak on coal, oil and gas and 13 countries have already exhausted their uranium supplies and now import. Thinking outside of our oily, blackened boxes would transition us quicker, and perhaps in time to avert the impending crash. Solar is more efficient and less lethal than coal and oil and gas...but I don't hear the squawking about those inefficiencies.

Time to start looking at replacements for oil highways...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8olFqKMOxE
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 70
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 7/8/2011 10:37:30 AM
Hi, I'm a homeowner in SoCal and I'm intrigued by solar power.
Can someone advise me on a kit or maybe a good book to help me get started?
My goal is to have 12v LED lights, powered by a car battery that is charged via solar cells.

thanks, Rich
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 7/8/2011 11:48:08 AM
Just do a quickie google for "solar power kits for cabins" and you'll find a cheapo starter kit to learn the basics from. Just plug and play while studying up on what you want eventually. LEDs are still expensive so another option is to just get an inverter from your auto supply store, run everything on 120v and use CFLs. Vector inverters are inexpensive and do the same job as the pricey models. Car batteries are not built for solar power systems. You need to invest in a deep cycle Marine or golf cart/fork lift battery. Two 6s can be wired to 12v. I bought a survival kit to start with, then built up the system with a good charge controller, bigger inverter, more batteries, and added panels as needed. Make sure your batteries are all the same age and manufacturer if using multiples. The weakest battery in the bank is your limitation.

My music, lights and computer run at less than 100 watts. I practiced a few years before going totally off grid. The neighbors were always amazed I had lights and music during massive power outages with no generator noise..(They didn't see my panels.)

The Solar Electricity Handbook is user friendly for newbies. Many books can get so technical as to make your head swim.
 aremeself
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 7/8/2011 4:29:20 PM
house needs new shingles on south side.

how much more do the solar shingles cost compared to the larger 100 watt panels? [materials only]

good or bad idea?
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 7/8/2011 4:35:09 PM
From the buzz I have heard, solar shingles and thin film tech still needs a few more years of r&d to be cost effective over the long haul. Conventional panels have a track record over decades. If we threw a tenth of our investment into supporting dirty enegy into cleaner energy, we would be there overnight. Distributing solar to peoples yards and rooftops is a major threat to centralized power and profit, slowing down our economy and needed transition. Status quo rules...
 jessehoo
Msg: 74
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 7/8/2011 6:10:56 PM
What sort of things do the production of solar penals, windmills and shit perpetuate? anyOne Know? Plastic? oil? Capitalism? Love? enviromental love?
 robin-hood
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Solar and Wind Power..
Posted: 7/8/2011 10:39:44 PM

If we threw a tenth of our investment into supporting dirty enegy into cleaner energy, we would be there overnight. Distributing solar to peoples yards and rooftops is a major threat to centralized power and profit, slowing down our economy and needed transition. Status quo rules...

earthpup,
thats just not true. I believe now the cost of producing mono and polycrystalline panels has been reduced to made it reasonable to install panels, providing the cost are below $4/watt installed. If the power companies thought panels had a good ROI then they would be installing them everywhere, especially for peak load demands.

earthpup, tell me how to make 460 volt 3-phase power with solar panels, and run a factory through the night shift. Or make 4160 Volt 3-phase power for motors above 250 HP or electric arc ovens reducing ore into lead, copper, zinc, iron and other metals. Solar panels are not gone to solve the worlds energy problems, although they will be part of the mix, say maybe 10% eventually.

to transmit electricity with less losses they increase voltage to 110,000 volts or higher, so how much effort and extra equipment would it take a power company to set up a panel system to pump into that grid from remote locations.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Solar and Wind Power..