Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do you believe a man of today, still understands the true meaning of      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RenaissanceMan1950
Msg: 76
Do you believe a man of today, still understands the true meaning of romance?Page 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

Agred ren man, romance is bewteen lovers,.. romance sex, affection, all are intertwined.

I agree with you, Goode Witch, and also agree that within a relationship, romance is something a man wants to give to a woman, for her sake, to bring her some joy and happiness, and isn't just foreplay. Although, making lovemaking romantic is also something that can be very romantic.

I think some women confuse what "romantic" means, though, and women along the road of life have "taught" men not to express themselves too romantically with most women, prior to their being an established relationship. There are women who interpret romantic gestures in early dating as their "right", almost as queens, who will then regard the man as weak and willing to enter into a female dominated dynamic. For example that "romantic" story of the man, who brought flowers every week, to a woman who was rejecting him.

For me, at least, before I can let my "inner romantic" out in full force, I have to be at a place in the relationship, where there isn't any "tension" about whether affection runs both ways, or while sex is still a "question".
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 77
Do you believe a man of today, still understands the true meaning of romance?
Posted: 4/22/2009 1:54:39 PM
For starters, honesty is a great beginning. In plain English, just be open and honest about what you want and who you are. Material things do not really make or break me, however surprises would be nice once in a while. :) Hard to say what would really make me smile. Not to be whining here but so far, it seems like I am the one always spending, always giving, only to get nothing in return. Not even respect. I hope the next guy who comes along has some friggen manners.
 ditr821
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2009 2:24:39 PM
IDEAL SETTING - TOTAL DARKNESS, JUST THE TWO OF YOU, AND KNOWING YOU CAN TRUST EACH OTHER AND NOT BE AFRAID. NOT TALKING, JUST LISTENING TO EACH OTHER BREATHING AND THE SOUNDS OF EACH OTHERS HEART, HOW YOUR HEARTBEAT INCREASES WITH THE TOUCH OF EACH OTHER. REMEMBERING THAT FEELING FROM THE VERY FIRST TIME TO THE 100TH TIME YOU ARE TOGETHER. TOUCH IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, IT SHOULD ALWAYS BRING GOOSEBUMPS OR A CHILL UP YOUR SPINE IN A GOOD WAY. MEN AND WOMEN NEED THE SAME THING, WOMEN ARE ALLOWED TO EXPRESS IT, MEN ARE NOT EXPECTED TO. BUT IF YOU ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND A MAN THAT CAN, KEEP HIM, LOVE HIM, HOLD HIM CLOSE, BECAUSE HE IS ONE OF A KIND
 MizBexReturns
Msg: 79
Posted: 4/22/2009 2:33:18 PM
Ren, that is OK. You and I go way back. I have posted this in a former POF life, so not to worry. It is best that you asked and not someone who is not considered a friend. Huggs.

Goodewitch, your are too kind. Thank you.
 Serenity_BC
Msg: 80
Posted: 4/22/2009 5:39:57 PM
Casey, no problem. I speak the truth....and I think I've been spoiled by some pretty good men
 diamondgirl2727
Msg: 81
Posted: 4/22/2009 6:00:14 PM
All a man has to do to make me speechless is to actually listen to me, and remember the things I have said! Also, letting me know he was actually thinking about me. Guess it all comes down to whether he likes me enough to have me on his mind and think of things he could do to put a smile on my face. I have always done this for men I have cared about, but sadly, I never got anything in return.
 brown_eyed_woman
Msg: 82
Posted: 4/22/2009 6:03:32 PM
Many men are very romantic. Just like many women are.

Some people are not as good as guaging what thier new interest will find romantic, and this is where you see people rejecting people for what an outsider would say was a nice gesture.

Some women like flowers right off the bat, some think it is creepy. Some men will love having a woman cover the tab for dinner on date number one, some men will feel uncomfortable about that.

The key is really knowing your partner. Like anything I do for someone, if I'm going to exert an effort, I want to make sure it is truly appreciated-so Im going to make sure I am showing him my romantic feelings in a way he picks up and enjoys.

Just because you heard women like this, or men like that, doesnt so much matter. It only matters if MY man likes it.
 haywiresue
Msg: 83
Posted: 4/22/2009 6:03:53 PM
I think romance is a personal preference and there are some men out there would like to be romantic with a woman who can appreciate and enjoys being romanced. It is also a 2 way street and I believe that women need to be romantic as well, because I have found that men who are romantic towards me, enjoy also being romanced - it is an opportunity for 2 people who enjoy romance to please and be pleased. All good in my books, I love charming men and I treat the man in my life very well.
 PaMike1200
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2009 7:11:03 PM

All a man has to do to make me speechless is to actually listen to me, and remember the things I have said! Also, letting me know he was actually thinking about me. Guess it all comes down to whether he likes me enough to have me on his mind and think of things he could do to put a smile on my face. I have always done this for men I have cared about, but sadly, I never got anything in return.

Such BS! I would love to hear the other side of the story. The other guys probably found someone that knows he was listening and remembering.
 RenaissanceMan1950
Msg: 85
Posted: 4/22/2009 7:14:19 PM
I have no idea why some are picking apart post #103. To me, it made perfect sense, and I agree that part of letting a woman know that she is valued, is to let her know that you want to know what she thinks, how she feels, and then to remember those things, and respond, in unexpected ways.
 2Irish1
Msg: 86
Posted: 4/22/2009 7:40:38 PM
^^^actually it was post #102...and I agree...what is wrong with validating a woman...by the simple act of respecting her thoughts and feelings by listening...remembering the things that she values...and complimenting her by doing the unexpected...a reminder to her that you had been listening to the things she desires...sometimes "it is" just so simple...
 Ameerra
Msg: 87
Posted: 4/22/2009 7:51:19 PM

what is wrong with validating a woman...by the simple act of respecting her thoughts and feelings by listening...remembering the things that she values...and complimenting her by doing the unexpected...a reminder to her that you had been listening to the things she desires...sometimes "it is" just so simple

Yes, someone please give lessons or at the very least write a book!!!
 Belldon
Msg: 88
Posted: 4/22/2009 8:42:56 PM
his idea of romance is a quick bite, mcds dive thru then....in soft neon lighting a quick blow..

.....................................................wow what a night..................
 CynthiaM
Msg: 89
Posted: 4/22/2009 9:04:44 PM
My son is 15 and even though he has always had friends that are girls, and each year seems to have a crush on a particular girl, he decided this year, even though he's in highschool, he isn't going to have a 'girlfriend'. Says he just has too much on his plate, I thought that's pretty mature for 15.

Driving home from New year's party, out of the blue, he tells me that his best friend Tim (a freshman) is dating a sophomore! Now I've known Tim since he was 4 yrs old and he's not the sharpest pencil in the box so I reply with a simple 'oh?' hoping it will elicit more info. Which it does.

Son says he's been giving Tim dating advice. I think (without saying) this is pretty interesting coming from a kid who doesn't/hasn't dated yet so I ask what advice he gives Tim. Son's reply (god's honest truth) "I told don't just stare at her, listen to what she says."

I really love my boy.
 Blk_Archangel7
Msg: 90
Posted: 4/22/2009 9:08:49 PM
everyones definition of romance is different we men just have to learn to understand you females by talking to you.
 Kimberish925
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2009 9:16:48 PM

Son says he's been giving Tim dating advice. I think (without saying) this is pretty interesting coming from a kid who doesn't/hasn't dated yet so I ask what advice he gives Tim. Son's reply (god's honest truth) "I told don't just stare at her, listen to what she says."

Kudo's to you CynthiaM, sounds like you have raised a wonderful young man.

I have no idea why some are picking apart post #103. To me, it made perfect sense, and I agree that part of letting a woman know that she is valued, is to let her know that you want to know what she thinks, how she feels, and then to remember those things, and respond, in unexpected ways.

One of the ones who gets it, listen, remember, react...so simple. Thank you RenaissanceMan1950.
 RenaissanceMan1950
Msg: 92
Posted: 4/22/2009 9:34:30 PM

actually it was post #102...and I agree..

Quite right, 2 Irish. Post #102 was very simple, and full of a truth that it took me awhile, as a young man, to understand.
 Levi501s
Msg: 93
Posted: 4/22/2009 10:03:40 PM
Don't know if the question has age restrictions associated, but this 48 year old understands romance.

For example, I truely believe every woman deserves flowers every now and then for no particular reason at all.

NOT because it's Valentines, a Birthday, an Anniversery, etc...

But rather, just to say, "I love and appreciate you."

I've done this with Aunts, my Sister, Girlfriends, lil ole' ladies, and my Mother. When I saw the sparkle, and moistening, in their eyes.........well,...........that's when I began to understand how important and appreciated random acts of kindness and appreciation are.

Which I kinda think "romance" is all about.

Typically people attach a sexual connotation to "romance", but to me sex has little to do with romance.

In my mind "romance" is about emotions. Now, if it leads to wild and crazy sex with a SO - YEEHAW! But the gesture shouldn't come with strings attached.

Hell, I even surprise my buds with a gift now and then. Granted, I don't necessarily tell 'em I "L" them at the same time, but you get the jest (I hope).

Maybe I'm wierd, but it's easy to be romantic and it's a win/win for both parties when it's sincere and no strings are attached. You can brighten someones day and feel good about your self expression at the same time. No loss in that senario.

just a few thoughts
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 94
Posted: 4/22/2009 10:36:05 PM
It does seem a lot of woman like the romance thing, but I don't. I would rather a man show me he cares in real ways. An example would be if I have a bad cold, and he shows up with some cold medicine. Taking my cats to the vet when I had to work.

btw you can't make someone fall in love with you. You can't even make yourself fall in love with someone. You met them, and you will love them or you won't.

My idea of an ideal man is one that when I met him, I feel like I have known him forever. Romance couldn't care less about it.
 Ameerra
Msg: 95
Posted: 4/23/2009 7:43:41 AM

An example would be if I have a bad cold, and he shows up with some cold medicine. Taking my cats to the vet when I had to work.

But BC, that's the most romantic thing a loved one can do for you. Flowers and candy are just fluff. That's the stuff that romance is made of
 Handful38
Msg: 96
Posted: 4/23/2009 8:04:08 AM
If they wear the right lingerie there will be plenty of romance. The romantic guys find ways to work around it "while its on" without taking it off. Thats what seperates the romantic men - lol
 sportsfan85
Msg: 97
Posted: 4/23/2009 9:31:06 PM
Freddie Exactly !!! You hit it right on the head !! Here is a little something I wrote on a site where guys were ripping on women and said that women were to difficult and they didn't know what women wanted in a relationship. I hope that no one is offended in any way !!

Please take in consideration that this is my opinion and in no way meant to down grade or belittle anyone in any way. ******

Complexity of a woman? Ladies please tell me if I am right or not.

To many men forget these days how to romance a woman !! Guys,you spend too much time trying to get into the mind of a woman which is no more complex than the mind of a man. First of all if you love a woman and I mean love not lust, then you need to tell her.Nothing frustrates a woman more than a man who can not express himself or can not feel comfortable enough to talk to her and express your feelings when something is wrong or more important when nothing is wrong.Second, Don't be afraid to express to her how much she means to you !! Not when the time is right for you,but when she needs it.Women have bad days too and need to be pampered and shown appreciation. So if you are there sitting in your chair waiting for your wife to bring you a beer or bring you dinner.Stop her and have her sit down and relax while you wait on her. Rub her feet,greet her at the door with a kiss and ask her how her day was, make her dinner. Remember, love is a 2 way street.It's not a 50/50 relationship its 100/100 if you tell her that your giving her your giving your 50% into the relationship then in reality you are only giving her half of the love she rightfully deserves.
Third,instead of expecting your woman to be there for you whenever you want it.Take in consideration of her needs. Women want to be romanced and they want passion.Guys if you don't know how to be passionate or romantic,maybe it is time to put down the Sports Illustrated Magazines or turn off the sports channel and read a book that teaches you what should come naturally. Buy her flowers,break out the candles,make a nice dinner,unplug the phones. Make time for her and no interruptions.Let her know the fire within your heart still only belongs to her. Guys I could sit here and tell you how to keep the fire burning in your relationship but it is something you have to feel within your heart !!
I know that my idea of romance and passion may differ from most men but I am not the one sitting here complaining that you don't know what women want and can't figure them out. We live in a world full of beautiful women of all shapes,sizes and nationalities and if you do not tell that woman you love what she means to you, there are guys like myself who isn't afraid to let her know what a beautiful woman she is and deserves to be treated as if she is the only woman on this planet.
I do know that I have my heart set a side for one woman and believe me she will always know how much she means to me and how she constantly makes my heart smile and that I will always love her for being her and not what she isn't !! Love is not an open book but it is the bonding of 2 hearts that will always beat as one !!
We live in a world of internet and you see to many sites where spouses are looking for someone even though they are married.If more couples took the time to show their spouse how much they mean and keep the fire burning within, wouldn't there be more love in the world? So grab that person you love and tell them you love them !! Its not hard just takes motivation within yourself !! Where there is love there is happiness,open your heart and let it shine. Bless all of you ~ Sportsfan85
 Serenity_BC
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/24/2009 5:48:14 PM
Amazing, sportsfan! Now...why are you so damn far from me ?! Wish more men thought like you did.
 April is here
Msg: 99
Posted: 4/24/2009 6:32:25 PM
You live in a fairy tale. Life has nothing romantic to it.
 Telenochek
Msg: 100
Posted: 4/24/2009 6:46:17 PM

All a man has to do to make me speechless is to actually listen to me, and remember the things I have said!

Why do they always make a guy work soooo hard! WHYYYYY?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do you believe a man of today, still understands the true meaning of romance?