Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 9
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO COMMON SENSE?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Just so you guys know about the Coffee incident. You're probably right.

What you don't really know is that the coffee McDonald's was selling at the time was being heated at 10 degrees hotter than the industry standard, which in turn scolded the woman's lap much more severely than the average hot cup of Joe would. That's why she won that lawsuit.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 10
view profile
History
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO COMMON SENSE?
Posted: 4/21/2009 9:31:57 AM
^^^I use the pre-cooked, pre-crumbled bacon on salads (SSSHHH). It's cheap and a time-saver. Also comes in (regular) hickory and maple flavors.
 yna6
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/21/2009 9:34:52 AM
How about the warning label on a chainsaw stating to "Not try to stop chain with genitals"? Actual warning label.
How about the dog chew made of rawhide that is as long as your forearm and about as big around. It says "If pet attempts to swallow whole, take this product away from them." Like heck! If my pet is that big there is no way on this planet I am gonna even try removing something from it! It might decide I would make a good snack!
The sue happy USA and the "no child left behind" program are part of the family tree of stupidity in the States right now.
Dumbing down classrooms to have a "more level field" (basically moving it to the lowest common denominator) has been the worst mistake of all.
Education needs to be revamped....disallowing the mainstreaming of those not able to keep up with a higher class average.
 oddandy
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/21/2009 9:34:58 AM
I think a lot of these common-sense "warnings" are the result of frivolous lawsuits. Thank the lawyers

One I saw today: I bought a box of omeprazole (generic Prilosec.) The box says in huge letters "OMEPRAZOLE." On the back :"ALLERGY WARNING: Do not take if you are allergic to omeprazole." DUH!

The best one I saw a few years back. I was looking at costumes in the toy section of Wal Mart. There was a Spiderman outfit I was thinking of buying for my nephew. I swear it actually said in small print on the back of the box "Costume does not grant wearer special abilities."

Dumbing down classrooms to have a "more level field" (basically moving it to the lowest common denominator) has been the worst mistake of all.
Education needs to be revamped....disallowing the mainstreaming of those not able to keep up with a higher class average.

Amen!
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2009 9:40:31 AM

"...McDonald's was selling at the time was being heated at 10 degrees hotter than the industry standard, which in turn scolded the woman's lap much more severely than the average hot cup of Joe would. That's why she won that lawsuit."
I actually met and had a conversation with one of her lawyers. The coffee was considerably hotter than other restaurants, and the cap malfunctioned when she pulled it off to add creamer. The judgment was appealed, and after attorney's fees she had just enough left to pay her medical bills, which weren't cheap (if you can imagine how painful second degree scald burns are in the genital area). She won primarily because the MacDonalds executives who testified were arrogant and dismissive toward the plaintiff's lawyers and the jury. A little humility might have saved them a lot of grief, but they were, after all, corporate executives.
 FL CO
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2009 10:40:32 AM

When I was a kid, they suddenly had to put a warning on lawnmowers to not reach into the blades while the mower was running, after some genius amputated his fingers.

I knew someone who decided to check the blade height on a mower by sticking their hand under the deck while it was running. I'm sure you can guess the results
 FL CO
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2009 10:55:15 AM

A couple weeks ago my ex called me ot ask about the red plastic around balogna. He knew to remove it before eating the balogna. But he said the dog and cat wanted it and he wanted to know if he could feed it to either of them.
I was like "um, no, because it's PLASTIC???" He thought maybe it was "pig intestines" because he said "butchers used pig intestines he remembered".

Actually alot of sausages do use intestines for the casing. Its edible and sometimes can be mistaken for plastic. I'm not saying this is the case for balogna, but he wasn't too far off with his thought process.
 english lass
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/21/2009 11:05:12 AM
my burners on my stove didn't have "do not touch to see if hot" labels

i think i'll sue 'em

RocketMan_Len
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/21/2009 8:22:02 PM
Warning label seen on a chainsaw...

"Do Not Grip by Spinning End"

I've seen ads for a guy who sells rocketry-related T-shirts. He has one that reads...

"The Pointy End Goes UP!"

(Naturally, that one is a gag... )
 MrTwistedPersonality
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2009 1:49:53 PM
More visual records of common sense and people lacking it.
http://failblog.org/
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/22/2009 5:05:13 PM
Common sense got hit by a bus.
A bus that even had a huge sign on the front reading, "When bus is in motion please step out from its path".
Poor common sense.

Apparently, this sign didn't work on the back of the bus, so they had to add that goshdarned back-up beep. To me, and maybe I'm old-fashioned, but if a huge vehicle is hurtling toward me, I will get out of the way whether it's the front coming at me, or the back.
 oddandy
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/23/2009 9:02:10 AM
^^^LOL I've experienced the same thing. I used to work at a small computer repair shop, and I can't tell you how many times a customer would pick up their machine, take it home, and then call to complain that their sound didn't work. Nine times out of ten they had forgotten to plug the speakers back in to the computer.
 Werecow
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2009 10:41:44 AM
Last summer, when I was at a nearby shopping center, I saw a young woman who was obviously distressed. I asked what the problem was, and she said that she couldn't get into her car, as the battery in her keyless entry fob had died. I asked to see the fob - then used the key that was on the same ring to open the door for her. And she wasn't even blonde! *ducks* ;-)

Another auto related one: "Several" years ago, before power windows became standard, I was at work one summer day when I noticed a storm approaching. I rolled up the windows on my car, and noticed that a co-workers car windows were also open. Being the joker that I am...I didn't close them for her, but went into the building and told her, "I would have closed your windows, too, but your doors were locked." Think about it..she didn't ;-)
 Werecow
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2009 5:43:45 PM
Everyone has areas of expertise. At the moment, I'd be completely lost when it comes to "girl things", but it's that ability or willingness to learn that keeps us on the right side of the "stupid" fence.

Ignorance is treatable with education; stupidity is a chronic condition. Lack of common sense is simply lack of good judgement or clear thinking. It's neither ignorance nor stupidity, although either (and many times, alcohol) can play a part.

And then there are the *duh* moments, which may or may not fit into the above categories. I'll be the first to admit having those! Grabbing the wrong end of a hot soldering iron, trying to cut off a leg in the car door, sweating pipes and getting severely burned, narrowly avoiding death while working on a live turbine/generator set.. Hope I'm not admitting to doing something *stupid* here.. ;-)
 Yankee_Girl
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2009 11:13:24 AM
Why does Starbucks have to remind me that my coffee is hot? Am I the only person who prefers to drink coffee hot?
 barbee1970
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/26/2009 8:24:07 PM
It went out the window a long time ago.

OK more people are having accidents cause they are texting while driving.

Remember the old lady who bought coffee from a McDonald's drive thru sued yrs ago?
She spilled it on herself and sued cause the coffee did not say "Caution hot".
Duh! You buy coffee it's going to be hot!!
 music_fan
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2009 1:37:38 AM
I agree with you. Common sense is gone because, as you mentioned, juries will reward stupidity.

Like you said, if someone put a metal item, such as a fork, into a toaster and got shocked because the toaster was pulled in, they will usually sue the manufacturer.

So, a dr won a case because they put a string trimmer up to their face. That person has got to be an idiot but this country rewards people for being idiots. Just look at companies getting money from the government because they ruined their company.
 TooShadows
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2009 7:30:07 AM
A few years ago I worked on a house building crew. One day the head building inspector stopped by to check some things out. This fellow was notorious for wanting building codes changed to suit him if he didn't think something was being done right. At any rate,my boss said builders should still use common sense,and the inspector stated,"I don't need common sense;I work for the government!" Kind of says it all,doesn't it?
 AwP
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2009 11:41:25 AM
Common sense is poorly named, it has never been common.
 michaeld70
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 3:28:04 PM

He thought maybe it was "pig intestines" because he said "butchers used pig intestines he remembered".

Some casings you can eat, some you cant, some small butchers will still use intestines, which sounds gross to most people. Most casings are synthetic, some meats are cooked in a plastic casing which is then removed after cooking, but leaves something resembling a casing, kinda like bread crust. I prefer removing almost all casings, even if edible, as they have a different texture. If my dog wants the casing, I just run a knife along it to remove all of the meat unless its edible.

There is a saying that goes something like " If you make something idiot proof, the world will just create a bigger idiot".

A great movie that takes a poke at the future world with regards to all of the dumbing down, lack of natural selection, etc. is Idiocracy starring Luke Wilson. I didnt expect much from the movie but it was a great watch.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
 michaeld70
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 3:48:18 PM

I just don't understand how they function in life. Seriously lacking common sense.

I've known many people like this and cant help but wonder how they have actually lived so long or even how they managed to make it from bed to work.

Have you ever heard the saying "book smart, common sense stupid" I have seen this in action. Common sense is not a given in this world.

I look at education differently than others, I'm sure that most people know someone with a high level of education who seems like a total idiot in the real world. If it wasnt in a textbook or taught in a clasroom then it must not matter later on in life, why should I have to know it? I'm not talking about an auto exec who cant fix his own car or an accountant that cant get his own finances in order, I'm talking about people who have trouble overcoming any little irregularity in life, where a person with a bit of common sense wouldn't even notice the minor obstacle.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:40:03 PM
I knew of a fellow who was attempting to clear debris from the inside of his brick chimney by firing down through the chimney from the roof with his .45 Colt 1911A1.
One shot went through the gas fireplace gas line. The last shot created a spark.
His wife came home to find the house still burning and her slightly-singed husband explaining his actions to arson investigators.

Uncontested divorce, she got everything that was left.
 michaeld70
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 11:52:12 PM

with his .45 Colt 1911A1.
One shot went through the gas fireplace gas line.

LOL, I assume then there wasnt a creosote build up (from wood), which is usually the only reason to clean a chimney, unless there was a birds nest or something unusual.
 Jewels49
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/18/2009 3:01:06 AM
An Obituary You Really Must Read.

An Obituary printed in the London Times - Interesting and sadly rather true.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).
His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2009 2:56:49 PM

clear debris from the inside of his brick chimney
I believe at least some of the debris was broken firebrick lining of the chimney. It might have been creosote buildup as the gas "log" wasn't original to the house, could have been birds' nests. This wasn't the first time he did something stupid, just the most destructive.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >