Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TooShadows
Msg: 32
view profile
History
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO COMMON SENSE?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
A few years ago I worked on a house building crew. One day the head building inspector stopped by to check some things out. This fellow was notorious for wanting building codes changed to suit him if he didn't think something was being done right. At any rate,my boss said builders should still use common sense,and the inspector stated,"I don't need common sense;I work for the government!" Kind of says it all,doesn't it?
 AwP
Msg: 33
view profile
History
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO COMMON SENSE?
Posted: 5/15/2009 11:41:25 AM
Common sense is poorly named, it has never been common.
 michaeld70
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 3:28:04 PM

He thought maybe it was "pig intestines" because he said "butchers used pig intestines he remembered".

Some casings you can eat, some you cant, some small butchers will still use intestines, which sounds gross to most people. Most casings are synthetic, some meats are cooked in a plastic casing which is then removed after cooking, but leaves something resembling a casing, kinda like bread crust. I prefer removing almost all casings, even if edible, as they have a different texture. If my dog wants the casing, I just run a knife along it to remove all of the meat unless its edible.

There is a saying that goes something like " If you make something idiot proof, the world will just create a bigger idiot".

A great movie that takes a poke at the future world with regards to all of the dumbing down, lack of natural selection, etc. is Idiocracy starring Luke Wilson. I didnt expect much from the movie but it was a great watch.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
 michaeld70
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 3:48:18 PM

I just don't understand how they function in life. Seriously lacking common sense.

I've known many people like this and cant help but wonder how they have actually lived so long or even how they managed to make it from bed to work.

Have you ever heard the saying "book smart, common sense stupid" I have seen this in action. Common sense is not a given in this world.

I look at education differently than others, I'm sure that most people know someone with a high level of education who seems like a total idiot in the real world. If it wasnt in a textbook or taught in a clasroom then it must not matter later on in life, why should I have to know it? I'm not talking about an auto exec who cant fix his own car or an accountant that cant get his own finances in order, I'm talking about people who have trouble overcoming any little irregularity in life, where a person with a bit of common sense wouldn't even notice the minor obstacle.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:40:03 PM
I knew of a fellow who was attempting to clear debris from the inside of his brick chimney by firing down through the chimney from the roof with his .45 Colt 1911A1.
One shot went through the gas fireplace gas line. The last shot created a spark.
His wife came home to find the house still burning and her slightly-singed husband explaining his actions to arson investigators.

Uncontested divorce, she got everything that was left.
 michaeld70
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 11:52:12 PM

with his .45 Colt 1911A1.
One shot went through the gas fireplace gas line.

LOL, I assume then there wasnt a creosote build up (from wood), which is usually the only reason to clean a chimney, unless there was a birds nest or something unusual.
 Jewels49
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/18/2009 3:01:06 AM
An Obituary You Really Must Read.

An Obituary printed in the London Times - Interesting and sadly rather true.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).
His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2009 2:56:49 PM

clear debris from the inside of his brick chimney
I believe at least some of the debris was broken firebrick lining of the chimney. It might have been creosote buildup as the gas "log" wasn't original to the house, could have been birds' nests. This wasn't the first time he did something stupid, just the most destructive.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >