Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Squatters      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 2HEDZ
Msg: 7
view profile
History
SquattersPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

what I am talking about is someone in your home that refuse's to leave and expects you to pay all the bills and they wanna live there free of charge.

sounds like marriage to me.
 Kickn1Back™
Msg: 8
Squatters
Posted: 4/21/2009 10:30:54 PM
Yep, she had written notice back in Feb. to vacate but, I found out, it does not matter, if the house is yours, you have no rights, no matter what you do. But my question is I believe I have a right to protect my property but her lieing to the authorities and leaving my personal belonging's wide open for anyone to have access to is not right. Not to mention, letting my animals unattended to for over 4 days is just WRONG.

KB
 Kickn1Back™
Msg: 9
Squatters
Posted: 4/21/2009 10:34:52 PM

Change the locks? Turn off the water and electricity, then go stay at a hotel tell they leave? Make sure fridge is bare though. Goodluck anyway!

Oh, believe me, I thought of this and tried, found out, I can do NOTHING, only thing that I was able legally was to do was shut the phone off, which I did. That is IT!!!

KB
 SamuraiPixie
Msg: 10
Squatters
Posted: 4/21/2009 10:36:58 PM
Like I said get yourself a good Palimony lawyer who can look at your circumstances and tell you how to best proceed...

Suz aka Sami
 bmore_goat
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Squatters
Posted: 4/21/2009 10:42:14 PM
There was a huge thread done about this in the UK forums. It was a woman trying to evict a guy from her home. Turned out the whole story wasn't depicted, but it made for interesting reading.
You say she is gone now? Sounds like good news.
Don't really understand how you are paying ALL the bills and she got YOU evicted.
Home is in your name, bills are in your name, yet you had to leave your home.
Doesn't sound right.
Atleast you are going to be smarter about who you are going to let live in your home from now on.
 Kickn1Back™
Msg: 12
Squatters
Posted: 4/21/2009 10:48:58 PM
Like I said, she lied to the judge, failed to acknowledge it was my home, said it was hers and was paying the bills, which is FALSE. I was served with a protection order and I could not go to my home or contact her which I did not, had court today, 14 days later to explain my side and was told I did have to be there because she does not wanna pursue a FULL order. I know why, she was afraid that the truth would be heard. Like I said, she is gone but, does not excuse what she did to my home.

P.S. What's "E.B.M." mean?
Empathy Brings Misery!!!

KB
 bmore_goat
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Squatters
Posted: 4/21/2009 11:08:29 PM
First I want to say what happened to you really SUCKS and in no way do I want to turn this thread into some type of flame war. What happened to you happened to you.

But, I just can't wrap my head around how her lying about paying the bills stood up to you having the bills in your name.

Did you not have Gas bill or Electric bil or a Mortgage payment/rent book?
She would have to have SOMETHING in her name?
Fourteen days later to explain your side? I'm sorry, but I would be sueing SOMEBODY, especially since she trashed my home.
 forum101
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Squatters
Posted: 4/21/2009 11:12:37 PM
Wow, that is exactly what he was. Squatter. We only dated 6 months. Woke up one morning and realized he had all kinds of clothes at my house. No joke, a dozen pair of pants, 8 shirts, 5 pair of socks, 5 jackets. No underwear, WTH????? When the hell did he move his soap and shampoo in? Using all the hot water every morning. There every night when I got home from work. I get home at midnight!!!!! Even his damn dog had stuff at my house. Hoops, leash, toys, doggie treats, and a dog bed. Seems I didnt have any say so about it. I would say, I really dont feel up to company, but, damn there he was, like a leech. He said he was a nice guy though. 2 large trash bags, hefty ultra flex, to hold all his crap.
 bmore_goat
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Squatters
Posted: 4/22/2009 4:20:18 AM

In a relationship situation, including in a defacto relationship, this is where you would need to be careful as property (both personal chattels and land or a house) are likely to be shared and family law in the jurisdiction recognises interests arising by way of a relationship (either marriage or defacto). A resolution to a dispute in this situation, where not obtainable through private negotiation or settlement, would depend on the order of the relevant family court in that jurisdiction.

So Greg8001, from what you are saying and what the OP is saying doesn't mesh.
The OP says everything was in his name, but just by word of mouth, the court took her side and kicked HIM out of the home, eventhough he had all the documentation of the home in his name only.
I could understand if they were married, which is what you are essentially saying. But, just because she has a uterus, doesn't entitle her live rent-free in his home and kick him out.
I'm just not understanding it. But, then again, I problably would not move a homeless woman into my home without knowing her well either.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 16
Squatters
Posted: 4/22/2009 5:46:02 AM
Your situation was resolved, but so others reading this know....

Everything depends on WHERE you live and have high variants based on such.

In Missouri, you HAVE TO HAVE A COURT ORDER to evict someone from your property, and changing locks or shutting off utilities can actually get YOU in trouble. Also, there is a HUGE difference between being a LANDLORD and renting to someone...and having a live in relationship terminate.

It is not unreasonable to expect a certain amount of a NOTICE...if you are not getting along, then give the person a 30 day notice to vacate...check and see if you need it done legally or not, in your state.

Unfortunately, you should have asked her for a deposit upfront...you could have covered all or some of your losses, and you can always take her to court to recover the rest. But is she a "squatter" NOW, because the romantic part of the relationship died...or was she a "squatter" from the beginning?

I had one of those. He never even officially "moved in" and I never asked...he just sort of ended up there, every day. I was so young and dumb that I allowed it to occur for about 9 months before saying, "Get the fvck outta my house!" He paid ONE electric bill, once month...nothing else. LOL Sheesh.
 bmore_goat
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Squatters
Posted: 4/22/2009 7:11:45 AM
Well Dawn2812,
I know for a fact someone did just that here in the UK. She hadn't paid her mortgage for 9 MONTHS, before the bank had her evicted.
Sounds really crazy.
There is something called "squatters rights" here in the UK also. But, that is only for people living in abandoned houses. Meaning if you have a house that is been left empty and it's proven to NOT be your primary residence AND been left empty for a certain amount of time, some hobo can come in and set up home there.
Totally different than it being your primary residence. Meaning, no one can come into your home while you are away on vacation and live in your place.
And yes, the minute your "live-in lover" start paying any bills at your place, you need to start some eviction process if you want to get rid of them. Most people, however, are adults and the minute the relationship goes south, the "visitor" normally leaves on their own accord.

Like I said, I'm truly amazed the court kicked the OP out of his home where she had absolutely no legal claim to anything and had the power to trash his place without any recourse on his part.
 EdwardPartSix
Msg: 18
Squatters
Posted: 4/22/2009 9:58:01 AM
It sounds like the OP and his woman go into it, the police got called, and he took off. It sounds like he was charged with domestic violence, and was served with a protection order that said he couldn't go near the woman or her residence. If she was living with him, then he can't go home while she is living there.
 savanahrose
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Squatters
Posted: 4/22/2009 10:04:55 AM
Well not change subject but i have been talking to a guy i met on here we have never met face to face i don't know much about him except he don" work lives with friends or meets women on here and wants to move in with them and don't even no anything as i said about each other RED FLAG is this a bum???????? I havent heard from hm in 3weeks and got email yesterday to call he wanted to come here to stay with me but when he found out im not working right now cause motor in my big truck blew up he just says i guess i cant come stay with you now. He has talked about going the extent of moving half way across the country to live with a woman then got run off so RED FLAG again i can be very niave but i dont consider myself a dumba$$
 kevinwm
Msg: 20
Squatters
Posted: 4/22/2009 10:21:32 AM

Try and be proactive. You should try and get a restraining order against her, on the grounds that she trashed your place.

Tell them that you believe your life is in danger. This will keep her away from you and your property.

DO NOT lie about her to get a restraining order from the courts. This would make you far worse than she is. There are legal means to do this, and it's unfortunate that you have to deal with this. But that doesn't make it right to file a false claim with the police.
 Vannili
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Squatters
Posted: 4/22/2009 3:05:18 PM
Cowboy,
It is very hard to evict squatters, because they have no where to go. If Iwere me I'll just her gave some money to move out and change the locks of all the doors. I hope this help.
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 22
Squatters
Posted: 4/22/2009 3:07:20 PM
How can someone be in your home and refuse to leave?
Kick her out.
If she doesn't leave the property immediately that's trespassing - call the authorities.

That seems pretty easy to me. Also stops you paying the bills.

? Seems easy.
Why isn't it?

It's your place - you have all the rights.
She has none.
 Kickn1Back™
Msg: 23
UPDATE on the SQUATTER
Posted: 4/22/2009 7:15:04 PM
Update: First off, I have to say, I thank all of ya for your response's, some have been helpful but, I need to clarify a few thangs.
1. She was not homeless before she moved in, I have known her for 15 years. We talked about her moving in and all of the sudden she was moving in without any further discussion.

2. You can not stop paying the bills, I am responsible for them regardless, if I do not pay em, they build up. Only thang I can shut off was the phone which I did.

3.She lied on the protection order and said, I qoute, " It is HER home, and we was dating and I did not live there and she was paying the bills" B.S. That is the only reason she got the temp order.

She raise's POLICE K9's, her personal dog will rip me to shreds iffn' I tried to harm her what so ever, she failed to mention this. I would be a damn fool to do anything to her, all I wanted was for her to get out of my house because of her lieing and the foster kid of hers was stealing from me.

Now the UPDATE:

I talked to an attorney this morning and found out that I do have some rights. She stated in her protection order that she was or would be gone by the end of this month and by her stating that it was her home, she not knowing took full responsibility of EVERYTHING in that house. So, her leaving it opened up and all, that is a criminal offense.
I was told to leave it be because she said she would be out by the end of the month in writing but, I was told to go and take pictures and I did this evening, TONS!!!!
Tha fact that she or she had someone break into a LOCKED room in the basement, (LMAO they really worked hard too cause I got pictures of every pry mark and everythang) That is also a criminal offense which I can have charges pressed because she stated it was her home. Not to mention destruction of property as well. So, I will wait til next Thurs. and if she has not come to clean up and fix what she has destroyed it will be in the DA's hands.

Thank You All!!!

KB
 EdwardPartSix
Msg: 24
UPDATE on the SQUATTER
Posted: 4/22/2009 7:24:09 PM
I doubt that her saying it was her home has much impact on anything. You can destroy the shit out of your own home without breaking the law. She may be liable to you for damages, but I don't see charges coming there.
 Vannili
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Squatters
Posted: 4/22/2009 7:39:39 PM
Handsome Cowboy kb,
Thanks for your thread I learned a lesson , that if I shack up with man it will be in Motel 6 short time only, not in his house or mine. When the romance and honeymoon is over and reality crept in it becomes ugly. I become squatter to him and vise versa.
 Kickn1Back™
Msg: 26
UPDATE on the SQUATTER
Posted: 4/22/2009 8:32:24 PM

I doubt that her saying it was her home has much impact on anything. You can destroy the shit out of your own home without breaking the law. She may be liable to you for damages, but I don't see charges coming there.

Love your attitude, gotta agree with ya tho BUT, FINGERPRINTS DO NOT LIE!!! And yes her saying it was her home makes all the difference, this coming from a former prosecuting attorney!!! I will believe his opinion over yours.

KB
 Yankee_Girl
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Squatters
Posted: 4/22/2009 10:56:50 PM
I have 2 squatters right now. I figure they will leave when they go off to college.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 28
UPDATE on the SQUATTER
Posted: 4/22/2009 11:03:19 PM

Love your attitude, gotta agree with ya tho BUT, FINGERPRINTS DO NOT LIE!!! And yes her saying it was her home makes all the difference, this coming from a former prosecuting attorney!!! I will believe his opinion over yours.

Finger prints don't lie, but since she did live there, I wouldn't think her finger prints being all over the place would be a big deal. If it were me, I would just be happy to get her out of the house.
 Cogie36
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Squatters
Posted: 4/23/2009 7:30:48 AM
Take her to Judge Judy!!!!!!!

seriously though.....be thankful she is gone and just learn from this experience to NEVER let someone move in with you again!....... good luck!
 Zephyr2553
Msg: 30
Squatters
Posted: 4/23/2009 9:50:14 AM
Are you for real?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 31
UPDATE on the SQUATTER
Posted: 4/23/2009 11:12:23 AM
I don't think they are called squatters. I think this is a relationship gone bad.
And we're only hearing one side of it.
Most of it doesn't make any sense.
But it's lasted 3 pages...and no doubt brought you mail.

and hello...you just don't say a house is yours and everyone believes it.
In most states...umm...they keep records of who owns the house.
hehehehehehe!

I think later I'll prowl the neighborhood, pick out a house I like...and insist it's mine.
I didn't know until now you could do that...I thought you had to buy the damn thing.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Squatters