Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Hostels      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aNiceGuy2784
Msg: 5
HostelsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
there are some hostels in NYC, Manhattan area that can be a gret bargain! especially if you aren't too paranoid about safety and sharing restrooms. But the one I know of needs you to be an international traveler not a resident! Weird but works some people...
 travel4456
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Hostels
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:22:39 PM
Hostels are a great way to travel and meet people while you are traveling. For the most part you will meet some great people, and if you are traveling alone that can make or break a vacation. But, of course, there will be ***holes everywhere and you may meet some. If a hostel is crap do not be afraid to go to another in the area you are. Hostels.com is a good booking site and always read the reviews of the location, and the stats of the reviewer. A 18 yr old traveler will probably rate a place differently than a 36 yr old traveler.

Joe
 travel4456
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Hostels
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:24:55 PM
Oh and as for where the hostels that I stayed in: Canada, USA, Mexico, Ireland, England, Holland, Austria, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Bahrain, and Egypt.

travel4456
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Hostels
Posted: 5/22/2009 9:28:56 PM
If you are adventurous and a cool person, you could also try couchsurfing.com. Its even cheaper!
 floristgirl
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Hostels
Posted: 5/23/2009 6:27:50 AM
Hostels in the USA.....funny, I've never thought of same

Hostel in the Forest......Georgia....what a gorgeous state....On my way this FAll
Savannah being my favourite city, although I'm guilty of not knowing much other than Atlanta too

Thanks for the tip...
 ManFromMesa
Msg: 10
Hostels
Posted: 5/31/2009 5:53:39 PM
I really looked into it and some sounded amazing,especially in Europe,where your in the prime neighborhoods and in ancient buildings.I'd do private room or twin and up to 4 people but never those dorms.
 teacheractive
Msg: 11
Hostels
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:45:48 AM
This is a great thread! I am traveling from Los Angeles through to Michigan. The couchsurfing sounds like an incredible option! If nothing else, but a way to meet locals. I am used to rough camping -- at least now I don't have to carry ammo and such. :)

hostelz.com is another source of hostels.
 Element 50
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Hostels
Posted: 6/18/2009 11:11:10 PM
I love them. They are a great way to meet people and have people to hangout & party with. Its also a great source of information on what to do there and where to go or stay away from.
I've been to: China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Costa Rica, Paris, London, Mexico, Australia and Uruguay. and only Paris & london were for less the 3 weeks.
Great people and a great time.
 DJKasper1981
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Hostels
Posted: 7/4/2009 4:36:45 PM
Hostels are a good way to meet other backpackers across the globe. Although I know here in Italy a lot of Hostels have a age limit of 30 years. You being older might be limited in the hostels you can stay at. However the following services are free and very much recommended.

www.hospitalityclub.org

couchsurfing.com

These services are more of a cultural exchange. You look up a place you want to go & browse people that offer free accommodation. I've used these are are very interesting. I stay with a German family that took me in, showed me around there town, gave me there history, & introduced me to friends and family.

So these can be a very pleasant, interesting, and cheap alternative to hostels/hotels.
 arwen52
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Hostels
Posted: 7/16/2009 3:49:04 PM
I've stayed in two hostels - one in Italy and one in Lugano, Switzerland. They were very different experiences and they were both good experiences.

The one in Menaggio, Italy, on Lake Como has been described by Rick Steves as one of the best deals in Italy. It was friendly and a lot of fun. I shared my room with four American college girls, one of whom was from my home town. The food was good and the camaraderie in the place was great. Twelve dollars a night included a good dinner. Most of the people staying were young single Europeans and Americans or grey haired American women. Rooms slept five.

The place I stayed in Lugano, Switzerland, was very different. Tiny but really nice private room, the fluffiest pillow I've ever had in my life, and a very nice shared bathroom down the hallway. Most of the people staying were young families and kept to themselves. It was more like $35/night and included breakfast, was still much cheaper than a hotel room.

I'd do it again but the one thing I'd want to know about a place is there a secure place to keep my belongings? I've known people who have been ripped off staying in dorm style rooms.
 amitw
Msg: 15
Hostels
Posted: 7/20/2009 2:01:30 PM
I went backpacking in Europe for a few months and only used hostels for the entire trip. They are a really fun place to stay if you can find the right one. The best thing to do is to go to Hostels.com and see how people have rated the hostel for the city you want to stay in and read the reviews. It also helps a lot in meeting new people if the hostel has a bar or a common area.

Good Luck!
 Wyatt Earp1
Msg: 16
Hostels
Posted: 7/23/2009 8:38:01 PM
I've used hostels in Europe, Niagara Falls, Quebec, Acadia National Park + other places. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Haven't done them in years so I can't say what they are like today. Call up their headquarters in USA and find out/get more info. I'm sure you can buy a book about them, etc.
 Element 50
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Hostels
Posted: 8/19/2009 9:26:21 PM
In response to jazztabulous's post.
Edit & Casaba's hostel across from KFC in Jaco, Costa Rica is the best one I've stayed at so far. The owners are just so friendly and helpful that it sets the vibe for the whole place.
The across form KFC part is important because it doesn't have a name and there are no addresses in most of Costa Rica.
 x4me2fly
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Hostels
Posted: 8/20/2009 11:45:10 PM
I have stayed in hostels throughout China and have always had a good experience. They people and staff are always amazing. Even, when I had my own flat I would pack a bag and spend a night in one to hang out with new people. It was a mini escape for me. Leo Hostel in Beijing was a favorite. San Li Tun Hostel was nice; as it is on the street where all the bars are, so you never had to go far for a night out.

I have been a member of Couchsurfing for 4 years and I love it! It is a great experience to see the area you are in from the locals perspective. It also can save you a bunch of money. I know I cook at least one meal for my surfers, which usually helps them out.
 naturally sue
Msg: 19
Hostels
Posted: 8/24/2009 8:24:13 PM
I belong to Hostel International. Go to HI Hostel.com for info
 naturally sue
Msg: 20
Hostels
Posted: 8/24/2009 8:43:22 PM
I have stayed in some really wonderful hostels and would be happy to pass on the names.
Brownies Hostel in East Glacier Montana (Glacier N.P.) is great,clean,inexpensive,friendly, and in a lovely setting. The building itself is an old log cabin building with wood floors and paneling in every room.
Lake Louise Hostel in Canada is unbelievable. It was a 5 star hotel which was purchased by the Canadian Hostel Assoc. and Hostel International.
The hostile in Redwood National Forest is another great one. A big old house on the beach--it feels more like a B&B.
All of the above mentioned hostels are members of Hostel International and I have found the ones who belong to be above others in their standards. HI Hostel .com

I just love hosteling--started by accident 4 years ago and have been going ever since. Have made wonderful new friends from all over the world. Even if I won the lottery I would still stay at hostels.
 gjay1
Msg: 21
Hostels
Posted: 8/27/2009 4:14:37 PM

Hostels are a good way to meet other backpackers across the globe. Although I know here in Italy a lot of Hostels have a age limit of 30 years. You being older might be limited in the hostels you can stay at.

i found that in italy!! my friend and were so shocked lol !!! and they told us we couldnt stay before they saw our passports lol very bad reality check!!! havent had that problem anywhere else, i just wonder what would have happened if just one, not both of us had been in the ancient class....

ive stayed in hostels all over the place and they are fantastic, you meet heaps of great people and have a ball, and some of the beautiful historical buildings are an experiecnce in themselves
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Hostels