Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Luv_Lyfe
Msg: 270
LYING ABOUT AGE ON DATING PROFILE! Page 11 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
In my experience most of the women over 40 whom I have met from internet dating sites were lying about their ages.
 JoseMadre
Msg: 271
LYING ABOUT AGE ON DATING PROFILE!
Posted: 6/30/2012 12:33:13 PM
I've encountered two ladies on here whom I know outside of these confines who both deducted 5 years from their true age. They are both striking beauties, but I guess their real ages are beyond some magical threshold so they feel compelled to lie.
 happy_in_pink
Msg: 272
Posted: 6/30/2012 12:36:46 PM
Age is just a number. It is so not important how old someone is.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 273
Posted: 6/30/2012 12:59:48 PM

happy_in_pink
Age is just a number. It is so not important how old someone is.

If age was just a number, then people wouldn't think they needed to lie about their age. To the liar, age is more than just a number.
 Scottsdaleboy07
Msg: 274
Posted: 7/2/2012 2:45:06 AM
live and learn I guess
 lakeside8
Msg: 275
Posted: 1/2/2013 7:48:56 PM
My point was that everyone tells lies about something to someone, and everyone (as you have exhibited) has their degree of acceptability of lies.

As GoneSailinBabe stated - THIS IS NOT TRUE.
Lying IS a choice and I choose not to lie or waste my time with people that find it perfectly acceptable.
"I expect I'll be single for the rest of my life" and loving it.
 jlynn1955
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2013 9:22:01 PM
Just block them and move on. People are more or less anonymous on here. All you can know about them is what they say. If you discover a lie, just move on. I have talked to men who complain about the women's pics being old and I have seen profiles where the men say athletic or average and well, they aren't. (To be fair though, I think POF needs a category between a few extra pounds and BBW). some people are going to try and make themselves seem better than they are. of course they could also be in denial. Personally, I don't do that because I don't see the point. But people are different. Just drop them and go forward.
 melodyof_k
Msg: 277
Posted: 1/3/2013 10:15:32 PM
theres been many times that I did not want to meet someone on POF after they write to me because of their age...either too much younger or older.
If I had met them in person and not through POF,....I would not have asked their age at first. we could have talked and gotten to know one another. Their age would not have mattered at first. if we got along and later on told each 0ther our ages,...I don't think it would make a difference. there is too much judgement on line about age. so the next time that 40 yr old who looks like he is the same age as me writes to me,....I think I will give it a chance.

I prefer not to know someones age right away.
that's how it works when you meet in real life.

and I already am not surprised when a man is shorter than he states. I think many men feel the need to be tall and feel that if they post their shorter height they have less chance of meeting someone. if someone meets them,...and they get along,.. wont they be happy that they met?
 Makonnen
Msg: 278
Posted: 1/4/2013 1:19:36 AM
My thing is if you lie about something so small, like age....what other "small" things are you lying about? Total red flag...
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 279
Posted: 1/4/2013 3:36:15 AM
I'm sorry pazoo, but i have to disagree with your comparison...a parent telling their 6 yr. old child about santa or the tooth fairy is not the same as a 64 yr. old woman telling a guy she's 49. There's nothing on the internet that a person's age would reveal about them except of course..THEIR AGE! If you have to lie about your profession due to unwanted emails..(god knows what that profession is) sex therapist of something, then i would rather see it blank, or ask me about it later, or maybe even a bit ambiquous. However, i dont see the need to outright lie about your age.It serves no purpose. Even a few years is a deal-breaker in my book.It shows lack of integrity, character, and most important HONESTY! Before i get hammered by the ladies..yes..it goes both ways..many men lie as well..i just dont see the point, maybe its an ego thing..Many women enjoy being a 'cougar'..and have their flings with the 'boys'.To each their own..we are not all looking for the same thing.Someone with a fake or ambiquous location either works for the FBI or is Married or in a RELATIONSHIP! Thats just common sense.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 280
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2013 5:38:23 PM

many men lie as well...

i had one of those today.

i happened to be home this afternoon while having work done on my home and logged on to the site. i got an email from a man who's profile said he was 43.

for some reason, this one was lying to make himself OLDER! if he was past 30, i would have been surprized.

by the time i got home tonight, the profile had been deleted.
 AvailableinIndy
Msg: 281
Posted: 1/4/2013 5:47:04 PM
You are right about the body type thing....how many post have been on here about meeting a lady and they are 'more than a few extra pounds'. Age is no different.
 THEMEPACK
Msg: 282
Posted: 1/13/2013 7:13:14 AM
I personally know 11 women on this site that are over 50...and have had 49 on their profiles for the last few years or longer....I don't get it.
 flalicker
Msg: 283
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2013 8:19:04 AM
i donot understand why anyone has to lie about there age on here i am 58 and proud of my age what is the problem with being older are we not good enough to meet someone and be happy i want to meet a aldy around my age not someone alot younger what do you talk about with somone that much younger give ma a woman my age to enjoy life with
 msright78
Msg: 284
Posted: 1/13/2013 8:19:07 AM
Here's the thing, when ppl lie about their age in their dating profile, and I confront them about it, and some say, POF wouldn't let me change it.

And I'm thinking, how can someone make a mistake in putting the wrong age down in the first place and then recant their story and say 'oh POF won't let me change it'.

When ppl lie about something in their profile, I tend to be cautious. And well, I try to run away from them as fast as I can cuz who knows what else they could be lying about!
 i_ski_do_u
Msg: 285
Posted: 1/13/2013 9:09:26 AM
The nice thing about internet dating is that it is fantasy land and you can say whatever you want and post pictures from bygone days.

The down side comes into play if you actually meet someone from cyberspace.
 TimeforAChange48
Msg: 286
Posted: 1/13/2013 9:16:20 AM
The very first meeting I had from this site lied about his age. During the date he exclaimed with pride " Yes I'm older that you ! ". Now at the time I had my own age as an upper age limit, so maybe he felt he was achieving some goal by trying to pull the wool over my eyes ? The reality is I knew the minute I saw him he was older than his claimed age, or he had one hell of a rough life. I always hear things like " I look younger than my age " when sure sometimes they do, most times not, best to let others judge for themselves. We can do our best to keep our body from falling into early signs of decomposition, through diet, training and hydration, but the face usually tells the story.

I once met someone who accused me of using old pictures which I can understand even though it was not true. I think I look my age and don't really care as I put 100 % into being healthy, refuse to wear makeup because our skin is a portal to our inner organs and choose not to apply chemicals to it. The above person said I don't want to waste either of our time and literally walked away which I consider rude, but this is online dating and one will run across various types of people. I should of clued in when I refused a date the previous night where he exclaimed " You're missing the opportunity of a lifetime ".

As for the " Everyone lies about something or embellishes " that's a load of crap I certainly don't. I have noticed some people I've met have misrepresented age wise, height wise, career wise, for me that is a no no. One lie does mean there is a moral deviation from being an honest person, not matter what the rational they use.
 lostnfoundluv
Msg: 287
Posted: 1/13/2013 10:02:23 AM
lying about age is another way of determining how confident he or she is of their age. it is your choice to continue or not with such person of any interest . no big deal!!
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 288
Posted: 1/13/2013 11:01:51 AM
I don't "get" lying in your profile about anything. I've met a few women whose pictures were at least 5 years old and over weight despite saying they're "average". I know the weight thing is very subjective and the terms used on this site can be interpreted any way someone wants. The irony is said women are still on this site or others with the same out-of-date pictures and weight claims. I guess they aren't smart enough to realize that, if they meet someone, things aren't liable to go well.

I state my correct age, height, body type and weight right on my profile. My photos are a few months old, except for one full body shot, which was taken in 2007, which I state on the photo itself. I've had a few people advise me to lie about my age and take 5 to 10 years off, but I refuse to. If someone doesn't like me because of my age, or anything else in my profile, that's perfectly fine with me.
 JokerJaymes
Msg: 289
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2013 4:10:37 AM
im 42 and wont knock no age off, im happy to be 42
 lowmiles2
Msg: 290
Posted: 1/14/2013 1:42:51 PM
I find women lying about their age more often than men. I don't really care because it all comes out in the wash in the end.
 WS1254
Msg: 291
Posted: 1/14/2013 10:14:25 PM
Melody,

Can understand why you fib about age (I Don't)
But height, that is so obvious when you first meet unless you plan to bring a milk crate with you and stand on it.

Why a 5ft 6ins guy would say he is 6ft tall is beyond me, far to obvious when you meet.
As well these short guys contact tall women, there are plenty of short women on this site.
 melodyof_k
Msg: 292
Posted: 1/14/2013 11:52:59 PM
to poster above me...
because if a short man adds a few inches to his height...
he has more chance of getting to a first meet.
the same with the body type and age thing.

and yes,...there are plenty short girls he can write to.
Maybe all of this lying is why so many write and write and never meet.
you cant hide it when you meet.
 Space_Weaver
Msg: 293
Posted: 1/15/2013 12:02:07 AM
The greatest thing about being on this dating site and other for a few years now, I am beginning to think that age regressing is scientifically plausible. I've seen people last year be 39, and this year they are 36. In all seriousness most of these people that are doing this have nothing to worry about, so why lie? Just rock it!
 melodyof_k
Msg: 294
Posted: 1/15/2013 12:28:11 PM
well those people must have started new profiles. because POF automatically updates your age on your birthday. your stated birthday that is.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >