Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 63
LYING ABOUT AGE ON DATING PROFILE! Page 3 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)

What are your opinions on his chances of being accepted (forgiven) or rejected .. on that first date, after confessing he is really 61 and not 51?

So, your profile says you are 51, when you are in fact 10 years older?

But you feeel 15 years younger!?

What you are doing here is taking away the woman's choice to decide for herself whether you do or not, with all your badgering and arguing with the women who've taken you to task on your post, you seem not to get it.

You seek to manipulate the site by misrepresenting yourself and are trying to justify it.

... because that guy is me ...

Hmmm, you don't say?

in another dating site and that first date is next Wednesday.

Bet she'll be pleased? But then, it's not about what she wants is it? It's about what you think she should have. I can just see you whining about her not giving you a chance when she finds out you've deceived her.

It's called 'bait and switch' or, in business terms, fraud.
 rockondon
Msg: 64
view profile
History
LYING ABOUT AGE ON DATING PROFILE!
Posted: 5/14/2009 9:27:30 PM
Believe it or not, I'm actually slightly younger than what my profile states. I'm an aquarius, not a capricorn. I'd change it now if I could.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/14/2009 10:36:23 PM
Its 40, the next line you will hear is about height, its 5-6.
You cant to a damn thing about either of them, whats the point in lying about them.
 trailgirl
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/14/2009 11:37:20 PM
Gentleman-
No, I'm sorry, but I don't now see it differently. Simply because you want to date someone in their 40's or younger doesn't necessarily mean they want to date a man that's in his 60's. So my opinion is that Kat had it correct when she mentioned narcissistic to some degree - you want what you want, regardless of what your dates want. Not every person is comfortable dating someone with 20 more years life experience than themselves, and that's a very acceptable guideline for them to have.

Try this out: on the other dating site that you list yourself as 41, tell your potential dates before you meet them your true age and see how many still agree to meet you.

I'm also curious as to why you hid your pictures. But at the risk of offending you (I apologize in advance), while you may be in fine physical shape, you do look much closer to your actual age than perhaps you think. I don't say this to be mean or to slam you in any way, just that you should know women aren't dumb and sometimes we laugh when we compare some ages to the pictures.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/15/2009 12:14:20 AM

I look a lot younger than I am so I wonder if that’s going to be a big problem.

I'd love to think that about my own self, but I own an honest mirror. It tells me that I look 45. It doesn't matter to me that I've been told otherwise because for every person that tells me I look younger, there's likely one that thinks I look my age or older.

Try this out: on the other dating site that you list yourself as 41, tell your potential dates before you meet them your true age and see how many still agree to meet you.

OMFG ~ I didn't read the entire thread. Shame on me. He's in his 60s posing as someone in his 40s. I think senility has set in. I'm sorry, but that's egregious.

~OT~ I find the whole age lying business odd. What years does one delete? College years? High School years? Puberty years? An entire childhood? Oh, the failing marriage years? I personally think most people look their age and I'm thrilled that most do. Pre-mature aging is a very different thing than simply aging. Aging due to a poor/unhealthy lifestyle is also different than merely aging. We are all getting older, it shows to a degree on all of us. Why lie about it? Embrace it, deal with it, enjoy it. JMO
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/15/2009 8:34:35 AM
Gentleman+, please do not contort my words...they are not yours to manipulate like you do with your own age, and etc!

I did not say, "I would feel raped." What I DID say was, "I would feel RAPED OF MY CHOICE. HUGE difference, thank you.

You can now add HYPOCRITE to your list of endearing qualities to offer on a dating site! YOU dislike being pigeon holed, but you do it yourself when talking about women in your age range. OHhhhhhh!! But that's because YOU are not TYPICAL...you are AMAZING. Yep...I stand by my earlier accusation of being narcissistic.
 ~angeleyes101yric~
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/15/2009 9:23:13 AM
Harley Kat....another woman who tells it like it is............................I like you girl...you are one COOL............KAT...

Some people never quite "GET IT" when it comes too lying. Me thinks... these people would not like too be raped of their choice. That seems too be, as far as I can tell, what most of us here are trying too tell the age/weight/height/etc.....fibbers on this site........................................just give everyone the CHOICE too either meet you ..date you..or not ..BASED ON HONESTY..........desperate is not flattering, and narcissistic is even less so....................
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/15/2009 11:34:06 AM
Awww....Angeleyes...you are an...Angel! You rawwwk, too, chica!

I agree...BBW is sooo...meh. I mean, what if you are big but not so beautiful? And how many actually go around referring to themselves as beautiful? LOL I mean, that are not narcisstics!

I prefer curvy, rubenesque, shapely, or even "hourglass" over BBW. But it's been done as a topic over and over here, and they will not take the suggestion.

And I am sorry, but having current pics does NOT always justify weight/body type either. I look MUCH heavier in pics, than in person...that "camera adds 10 pounds" myth...Pffft! Camera takes MY already 10 and turns it into 40!
 jasmina
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/15/2009 6:32:12 PM
urgood wrote:
Response to Jasmina,
Yeah, I got what I deserved, learned my lesson, changed my profile and now that woman is gone for ever. But I am not heart-broken over it. Chill out people. I still bet I was the best man for her regardless what most of you hypocrits say. Listen to all of you jump on the band wagon acting like you never told a lie in you life. It is laughable.
She would have had a lot of fun with a guy like me now she will never know. Possibly end up with some guy who acts perfect all the time and is so damn incredibly nice. She 'll get bored real fast with that. At least I fessed up before we even met. If she thinks I am too horrible to talk to because of it then she should step aside and quit wasting my time. I can't be with someone that fickle. After all, I just fibbed by just 5 years, big deal. Most of the females on here are obviously lying about there age among other things. No big problem for me. I do not mind if women lie about their age at all. They are either attractive or they are not. Period.
Funny how the ones that complain the most are the first ones
to stand up and yell " age is just a number"

In addition to lying, you seem to have a bit of an ego problem too. It reminds me of the guy I dated who had the same problems...lying and inflated ego...a very bad combination. I doubt you were the best man for her since since you lacked a quality she valued...honesty. You seem to think you know what she would want and how she would react to someone else, but you don't have a clue because you are not her.

If age is just a number, there would be no reason not to put the correct one on your profile. Why lie about it? You will be found out eventually and could lose someone you care a lot about. It seems that you have no problem lying about your age and accuse others of doing the same thing to make yourself look better. I don't lie about my age...why should I? If someone doesn't like my age, too bad. He is not someone I would want in my life anyway if that is all he cares about.

I could say the same thing about men...they are either attractive or they are not, but that has nothing to do with lying about their age...completely different topic.
 jasmina
Msg: 72
Posted: 5/15/2009 6:45:38 PM
gentlleman wrote:
<div class="quote">This response is intended to all that have posted a response about the subject: "Lying about age on dating profile"

I get a feeling, when reading most responses, that the interpretation of the subject, is that the man or woman, who lied about their age, continue with the lie into the relationship, rather than confess on the first date. If the interpretation that the lie continues into the relationship applies, then I do not blame the person, who has been lied to, in getting upset. But let's take the other possibility:

The person lies about his/her age in the profile, says nothing during initial communications (email/telephone) but offers a confession at the start of the first date - not the middle or the end - but the start of the first date. The reason provided for lying: "He is 61 but due to great genes and maintaining an active life, healthy living and ongoing physical fitness, he is always taken to be in his mid-forties and can do what most guys in their 40's can do, just as well or better. Add to that, the fact that in stating he is 61, gets him in the search range of women in their 50's and 60's, who think looking after their flower pots in the garden is strenous physical activity. He enjoys running ... can run 10 km in one hour ... just over a year ago, he hiked Torres del Paine ... 125 km in 5 days with a 30 Kg back pack ... three weeks later he climbed Mount Chirripo (3,900 m), and when he goes out dancing (Latin .. Merengue, Salsa, etc..) he can do it all night. The women in their 50's and 60's would probably drop, just thinking about that level of activity." His lie: His profile reads 51 and she is a fit 48 ... just perfect for his lifestyle. Everything else in his profile is 100% true, along with all the other information he volunteered during their communications. During their communications, they got along tremendously.

What are your opinions on his chances of being accepted (forgiven) or rejected .. on that first date, after confessing he is really 61 and not 51?

I would be interested to know ... because that guy is me ... in another dating site and that first date is next Wednesday. In this site I have stated my correct age ... and experienced what I have described.

I will be cancelling my profile from this site, mainly because of the encouragement from this site to provide filters, so that I am unable to contact a 48 years old woman, if I think we may be compatible, because her upper limit may be 55 (and obvioulsy, she would not be contacting me.)

Your responses will be appreciated. Please remember when writing your response ... somewhere in the bible it says something along the lines of ... "Let those without sin ... cast the first stone."

To answer your question, I would not go out with you again since you lied, and I would also wonder what else you were lying about. If a person lies about one thing, another person cannot trust what he or she says...there will always be that doubt in the back of the mind about whatever they say. The date would end as soon as I found out that you had lied, and you would not hear from me again. It makes no difference what age you think you are (I dated a guy who used the same faulty logic and I ended it because of his lying and inflated ego, not because of his age or his height, which he also lied about). I don't care what the person lies to me about. If he lies, the trust is broken. The relationship can never be the same again. It's much like cheating in that way. You should be upfront with your age. If a woman does not want to date someone your age, that is her choice. Why would you waste her time with lies only to have her end it when she finds out?
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 73
Posted: 5/15/2009 8:13:34 PM
Its realy is funny how much people do lie on here and everywhere else.. I cant comment on guys profiles as i never looked. But many women do lie about there age. It seems a few think, That if they are thin that they must look 10-15 years younger.. So i wonder if they are 45 and look 15 years younger then they have to look same as a 30 year old.. So does that mean when there were 30 they looked like a 15 year old???? Or is it the older you get the slower you age???? Just cause you look good for your age dont mean you look 10-15 years younger lol.. But then this site wont let you change the age after you post it. I put the wrong month and it shows im 41 instead of 42. So im behind about 7 months of my real age lol.. I have a friend she meet a few guys from a difrent site and she says more then half of them are shorter then posted. For me it means many people have low self esteem having to lie about who and what they are. As they know they are not good enough being themselves. From reading the thread it seems no one would date the person as soon as they find out about the lie. I would think they would have learned by now that it wont work..

Alex
 Gaddflye
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/16/2009 5:28:06 AM
Internet dating for me has been pretty much a total waste of time. Over 80% of the women I either personally already knew or met lied about their ages by from 3 to 12 years. Their photos were usually out of date, some virually ancient. Over two thirds of the women I actually met lied significantly about their weight - unless one considers 20 to 50 pounds "a few" extra pounds. Particularly beware if they show only headshots in their profiles.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/16/2009 6:23:10 AM

When I was 30 I answered the door to a caller and he asked if my mother was in! So perhaps I did look like a 15 year old!

When I was 41, someone asked me if my sister (six years older than I am) were my mother. There is NO way that I looked young enough to be her daughter or she old enough to be my mom--so take such comments with a boulder of salt.

A question: If a person (men in my case) looks older in his profile pic than the age he has listed, should I ask if he is lying about his age? I see this discrepancy fairly often and in the cases where I met the man, he confessed to being older or slipped up and told the truth.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 76
Posted: 5/16/2009 6:35:27 AM

Please remember when writing your response ... somewhere in the bible it says something along the lines of ... "Let those without sin ... cast the first stone."

I am a pagan and I don't care what the bible admonishes. It also says flatly, "Thou shalt not lie," which not only makes a liar, but a sinner who sins in full knowledge of his sin and without contrition.

The person lies about his/her age in the profile, says nothing during initial communications (email/telephone) but offers a confession at the start of the first date - not the middle or the end - but the start of the first date.

I would stare at him dumbfounded, amazed that someone of such a great age could buy into the flatterers who tell him that he looks ten years younger. Then I would say, "Oh, I see--you lied to me," and that would be the end of that.

Not only that, but if I HAD filters or preferences on my profile and a man older than my desire contacted me and had lied about his age, it means that he had little care or respect as to my desires--which makes him unacceptable.

Gentleman, I can only echo what others say: that your denigration of women your age is appalling and your apparent high esteem of yourself is not supported by a picture. In addition, being physically fit is only ONE aspect of a relationship.

I have had two dates with a man who is ten years older than me and is honest about it on his profile, and he does look ten years younger than his real age--the first man I have met from a dating site who really DOES look younger! If he had lied about it and I found out on the first date, that would have been the last date.

Edit:

Who wrote the damm book about how a 61 year old is supposed to act or perform? Yet people have pre-conceived ideas ... which shuts people out and on the long run ... form the mold into which they will fit ... when they reach that age.

This is amusingly and pathetically hypocritical. You describe women your age as finding gardening physically demanding THEN you complain about being pigeonholed? Read what you write, man! You derisively describe a whole generation of women and then whine about being stereotyped yourself! YOU have preconceived ideas, and don't tell me it is from meeting women in that age range because you have not met every 50+ woman in the world.

I have spent the last twelve years trying to explode the stereotypes set forth for women over 40 and then 50--I don't need some old fart perpetuating them.

I do not believe in pre-expectations ... or moulds. I am who I am ... and I am very comfortable in my own skin in the real world. It is this cyber-world that creates the problem ... because two people cannot talk eye-to-eye.

BUT you DO have expectations (and "pre-expectations" is redundant) and you put people in molds: again, YOU state that women your age are decrepit.

And yes, you are narcissistic because you think you do not fit the mold--that you are special and should be given consideration because of your uniqueness.

Given the number of young men interested in older women, why would a 48 or a 55 or a 60 year old woman want you because you are capable of running a race? Why not go for the real hard-body of a 25 year old?

HarleyKat~
Msg: 77
Posted: 5/16/2009 7:31:31 AM
^^ Hi sexy-legs Gwendolyn! (Missouri water rocks!) ;)

LAgoodguy...I can assume YOU are telling the truth, cause I do not think many would lie about their age by one teensy year! Well, unless they were trying to avoid admitting to a milestone like their four-oh or nifty fifty! LOL BUT....if you had in your profile something about your age being off by more years and "not able to change it"...my red flag machine would be shooting em like mad, saying..."LIAR!" LOL Sorry...but your pic appears that you have GRAY or salt-n-pepper hair...and you do not LOOK 41 or 42. LOL And people...if you boo-booed when making your profile and did not notice it within the two allotted weeks...START OVER.

To the guy who just mentioned the weight...20-50 pounds NOT being (a few pounds over." I agree...BUT...it is also NOT "BBW" for most....and that is the choice options. I am closer to "a few pounds over" than I am to being "BBW." Blame Plentyoffish for THAT ONE, and ask for PICTURES and live cam, eventually. I try very hard to be as honest as possible...am NOT gonna give my weight and measurements...Gawd...would sound like one of those mail order bride sites!
 semovictory
Msg: 78
Posted: 5/16/2009 7:39:27 AM
But But Kat..Ive got my pen and paper ready for your stats..cmon throw us a bone. Seriously why lie about yourself eventually the truth will be known and it may cause you to lose something special...just sayin
 ~angeleyes101yric~
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/16/2009 7:46:25 AM
The race..GENTLEMAN runs in is....against father time. We all know he will loose this one. As we all eventually will. This is life. I will give him the benifit of the doubt...in that he may be "unique" for his age. Maybe he is more physically fit than most men his age....maybe he does look younger than 61.....maybe he acts and performs like a man in his 40's.. If so....all the more reason too be proud of the fact that is is 61 years on this earth and still blessed with ability too do the things he does...BUT... Is he foolish enough too think that he is the only man in his generation like this.....and even more foolish too believe there are no women over 50 with the same qualities. To really feel comfortable in ones own skin...we need too accept who we are...put it out there for all too see...and say...THIS IS ME...like me for who and what I am....if we fit great...if we don't....move on...one last comment. REMEMBER GENTLEMAN..men age faster than woman ..so why not start out somewhere close in age........ Hummmmm maybe I should give that 48year old who keeps contacting me a chance.
 Indescribable000
Msg: 80
Posted: 5/16/2009 7:58:18 AM
Well I can honestly say I'm 37 like my profile says....
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 81
Posted: 5/16/2009 7:59:03 AM

Hi sexy-legs Gwendolyn! (Missouri water rocks!) ;)

It does, even if it occasionally needs to be shocked! (And I am showing off my SHOES, not my legs!) (Evil grin.)

Particularly beware if they show only headshots in their profiles.

What about men who have NO pics on their profiles--how can we judge anything about them?

As for the weight issue, I am about 15-20 pounds overweight, and I don't know how much I weigh because I refuse to keep a scale in my house. I post full shots of myself on my profile.

I am not a BBW (a term which I detest, anyway, because it insinuates that all fat women are beautiful, and they aren't). Considering the number of obese people in the US, I am much nearer the "norm" than are "average" weight people! There is no deceit in my choice of "a few extra pounds."

I have met or talked to men (and women do the same thing) who have lied about height, age, and consider 1/2 of one semester as "some college." A male friend of mine was contacted by a woman who posted that she had a "graduate degree," which to her, meant she had graduated from high school. Another man told me that he saw no reason to change his 5+ year old pics because he "hadn't changed any," but the posted pics didn't have the deep crow's feet wrinkles running from his eyes to his cheeks.

Sometimes the "lies" are a lack of comprehension, but everyone knows his/her birthdate and even if he/she occasionally forgets how many years have passed since that birth occurred, you type in the year and it automatically displays the age!

No brainer.

If a man or woman lies about height or weight, it is apparent as soon as people meet; most lies about age are likewise readily apparent.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 82
Posted: 5/16/2009 8:10:18 AM
LMAO....ok...I will give credit to those who really, really, really do have an incorrect birthday, not purposely. Some scroll choices get inadvertently selected, if you happen to try to scroll on the PAGE but are still in that field...it is not a type in feature. BUT...I know when I make changes to MY profile, I look them over...and I will never understand how someone does not notice it within two weeks....and again, DELETE that fvcker, and make a new one!

THATS ^^ why it is easy to weed the liars out. LOL

Oh, SemoVictory darlin'...I am guessin' you will just have to discover my measurements all on your own accord!

semovictory
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/16/2009 8:14:27 AM
OK KAT...**grabs tape measure, keys, and pen and paper and heads north** As it should be Kat....after all we do live in the show me state
 ~angeleyes101yric~
Msg: 84
Posted: 5/16/2009 10:10:11 AM
Teck59..my age range is 52 to 67...reasonable for me I think.What do you think I should consider ,my age range too be? As far me... I did not say I would not consider dating a younger man..I actually do better with younger. I do feel though,that there has too be an age limit .... I took off my filters for several days...due do hosting events, and I got guys from 38 on up....come on...I am not foolish enough too believe they want a relationship with me that could possibly lead too long term. They want the obvious...before you jump om me (no pun intended) I know theere are guys in every age bracket, that just want the sex...and the age of the woman does't matter. I would just like too have some common ground with the men I date....you know...When I am talking about my sons job/children..etc....he is not talking about changing diapers/grade school events. For the record....I know a couple (happily married 5 years) he is 16years younger....she is 68 he is 52....my best friend is 6 years older than her husband....my ex. was 4yrs. younger. ....Just hard too find the right one...and when you are a woman in my age bracket(a lot of men filter out 50 and above) it is even more difficult. I think going out and seeing someone and being attracted too them and approaching...is much easier than this online dating.....but I still will not lie about my age to get the responses..............now give mama a kiss and be nice wink

~angeleyes101yric~
Msg: 86
Posted: 5/16/2009 12:09:44 PM
Apology accepted..but not needed. I do realize you were paying me a compliment...and I thank you. It is just very frustating on this site, the ones you want to reply don't...and the ones who are not for you pursue. Perhaps you are right ...maybe none of us should have age filters on. Then we can just see what happens and respond too those we find attractive and have common interests. BUT somewhere...age will matter. At 60 do you want too be taking care of an 80year old woman???? Even if she cute like me.................
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 88
Posted: 5/16/2009 12:36:39 PM
OK...you all need to realize that, turning your filters off only brings in MORE emails. It does NOT take away your delete button...it does not change your ability to say, "Thanks, but no thanks." Seriously!

Like the gorgeous AngelEyes...I have no restrictions (ok...other than drugs) because of event hosting in my area...but, when I get those emails from the ones young enough for me to have birthed, or old enough to be my father...I send a thanks, but no thanks.

Keep in mind...it's also about NETWORKING. Maybe you will end up striking up a friendship with someone who is not Mr. or Ms. Right for You, but they may have a sibling, neighbor, colleague, parent, etc...who IS.

Sheesh...I understand being here for a specific reason...to find a mate, if that's your cuppa tea. But to act as if you have too many FRIENDS already...wow.
 ~angeleyes101yric~
Msg: 89
Posted: 5/16/2009 12:59:17 PM
Kat is right about the thanks but no thanks..and the NETWORKING......with that being said.....any of you cute youngins out there have a a gorgeous father for me???? He should posess the 3 A's....Approachable/Available/Acceptable......if he is drop dead gorgeous and filthy rich...(not just filthy)....and adores me ...that would be just fine too................. See what happens when you get old.....you become delusional...

NOTE: God I love this site...where else can you make friends ..and have a good laugh acquire enemies....and never have too leave home
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >