Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 professora
Msg: 195
view profile
History
LYING ABOUT AGE ON DATING PROFILE! Page 8 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
To oyster1000

You are not wrong. A lie is a lie. I steer clear of those people.

ITs numbers. Keep doing what you are doing and someone good will come along.

Beats being alone :)
 OYSTER1000
Msg: 196
LYING ABOUT AGE ON DATING PROFILE!
Posted: 1/4/2012 8:16:26 PM
Thank you professora, can I post her screen name here without getting in trouble?
 ponygt
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 11:01:50 PM
I personally dont' understand the point. The person is going to find out sooner or later. So why do it?

i mean, what do I gain by telling someone I'm taller than I am?.....Nothing. I will lose something though. And that's called trust. Why would I risk losing that over a few inches of height?
 ohenryx
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:58:33 AM
^^^ I understand the temptation, but I do not give in to it. I recently turned 61, and a lot of women whom I could contact last week will no longer allow my initial contact messages to get through. It is very tempting to lie about my age, but I won't. I have seen at least a dozen profiles over the last two years where the woman admits that she has lied about her age to get more interest, to get past email restrictions, to have her profile get more hits from searches. I'm sure many men do the same.
 onceagain57
Msg: 199
Posted: 1/5/2012 7:09:35 AM
Unfortunately telling stories on these sights are pretty common.....some have no life and some think its funny...Ive not told stories only because if theres someone I chat with who I might wanna meet...well....those dumb stories would come to light....can tell you some experiences that would have you rolling with laughter.....its funny now but then it wasnt....and as for body type....some are way off when they say extra pounds....I say football player in size which means...6-3....big framed...big shoulders....and yes I do have a stomach....which Ive been asked about...but....I carry my weight well....some woman who like to keep their little size a secret cant once you see them in a top trying to hide things....sounds picky but honesty is so much better...we all have our insecurities....
 browneyesboo
Msg: 200
Posted: 1/5/2012 7:22:56 AM
I think it's obvious why people lie about their age, especially in here.
They want to be included (or excluded) from searches.

I think in real life it doesn't come up so much. I've never had anyone
in real life ask how old I am before they asked me out.

I think if you're going to lie about your age in here, you should just say
you lied because of the search engine. Can't believe people actually try
to blame it on the system...ie, I "accidently" put the wrong YEAR on my
profile and fishes won't let me change it. Yeah, who doesn't forget the year
they were born?

OYSTER1000
Msg: 201
Posted: 1/6/2012 2:56:14 PM
Where does it say that? I see no rules about posyting anyone's name here, that was a question for someone in charge, I am new to this, a Moderator maybe?
 OYSTER1000
Msg: 202
Posted: 1/6/2012 2:58:18 PM
In my experience as a Police Officer people who lie also steal, and if you have that much "stuff" hidden away that is really scary.
 amethystdancer14
Msg: 203
Posted: 1/6/2012 3:19:59 PM
Oyster1000 may I suggest you go and look at the Acceptable Posting Rules? Its just a good idea before you start being involved in the forums that you see what the rules are.

I appreciate that you are a police officer but have you thought by posting her details on a forum that you are violating her privacy rights? She has made a moral choice but she had not committed a crime. I agree that what she has done is distasteful and I applaud that you are basically trying to warn unsuspecting gents about her but at the end of the day, she will be found out, but on this website, its not your place to reveal her identity. If her behaviour warrants reporting, I'm sure enough people will complain about her and she come to the notice of the moderators but other than that, there is nothing else you can do at this point.
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 204
Posted: 1/7/2012 7:25:58 AM
Frankly, I have never met a man yet, who is really 58, 59, 60... he is always older!

Right now, any one of you could do a search for a man (I haven't tried the women's profiles), between age 58 and 59 within 35 miles of any fair-sized town or city and you will come up with dozens of profiles in that age group. It's amazing. Try it! I can't believe that they are all just 59 (most of them obviously not)! My guess is that they just don't want to admit that they have gotten into their 60s and that no younger woman will find them . Probably not.

Me, for instance, I AM NOT 87 as is on my profile! It's meant as a joke because so many do lie about their age... the other direction; yet, so often, men really do think I am that old but with much younger photos! Go figure!

Too many seem to lie about everything... and one really can't know until the face-to-face meet/date or whatever. I just write it up and keep it as comedy fodder for my stand-up routine.
 c_deacon
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2012 11:06:46 AM
Come on Charlie.....we know that you are in your 80's, just like so many of us.....

This just reinforces my belief that having the age requirement just baits to many for misinformation because they do not want to be screened out on either end of the dating spectrum.....

I relate this to filing taxes with the IRS. There could be an easy form that has no deductions or ways to lesson your taxes, and keep us all on the same playing level, but no, we just find ways to complicate things and force people into deception in order to not pay more and stay on the same playing level of everyone else. This it just the way the mandatory age requirement creates those that feel the need to find as many ways as possible to not be excluded or overlooked by others.

Would it not just be better to have it that you are either 21 and older, or under 21, for legal purposes, and make it mandatory that each profile have at least four pictures, of which one must be a full body shot, and then let the buyer beware? I have no problems deciding for myself, if I am attracted to another and want to meet them, and will let them decide if I am the same for them.............no matter my age........

Now, where did I put my walker???.............

cd..........
 BrianL77
Msg: 206
Posted: 1/7/2012 11:09:25 AM
Age may be a state of mind but gravity and time make you mileage show. And you can't roll back the
Odometer with a freash coat of paint and bondo
 Gertrude13
Msg: 207
Posted: 1/7/2012 1:32:56 PM
The very first guy I went out with on this site lied about his age. I only noticed because we had the exact same birthday. Made him show me his license, kind of as a joke, and then I saw the year was wrong. It was only a 2-year difference. He said it was because he'd had a rough time for two years, and wanted to pretend they had never happened, but in retrospect, it's more likely that he was married and wanted to make sure he was as untraceable as possible. Yikes!

Lying about age - always an ominous sign, no matter what the reason...
 VirtuallyLove
Msg: 208
Posted: 1/8/2012 10:53:01 AM
That's strange, Sweet jmb. I don't understand why he should be ashamed of being a professional golfer.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 209
Posted: 1/8/2012 3:59:16 PM

Frankly, I have never met a man yet, who is really 58, 59, 60... he is always older!

I know two men on a professional level who have/have had profiles on POF: one of them used to be older than I am, but on his new profile (since deleted), he suddenly became three years younger. The other man lists his age the same as mine, but he is at least five to seven years older. The amusing thing about the latter is that he was making fun of another man who also lied about his age.

I have also seen men who contacted me in the past show up in new profiles anywhere from three to five years younger. NONE of these men look younger than their ages and they aren't fooling anyone.

And, of course, this doesn't count the guys I have met who lied about their age.

For a long time, women were ridiculed for lying about their ages; now, we know that men are just as guilty.
 Milnoc514
Msg: 210
Posted: 1/18/2012 6:38:01 PM
I admit it! I lied about my age when I signed up!

By a few days.

I did this in case the site's user database is ever stolen, and my birth date is used to steal my identity. Fudging the date just a bit may help prevent that from happening.

So for a few days each and every year, I'll be one year OLDER than I really am!
 kailania
Msg: 211
Posted: 1/19/2012 7:27:46 PM
when you meet someone in person you dont know their age right away and rarely get asked in the beginning.
my ex bf didnt know my age for months. he never asked till we talked about it.
ok..so my delima is that I get a lot of good looking men in their 30's asking me for a date on here.
they see my age,.
and I used to always right back that I am much older than them.
but I quit writing that because its obvious they know that.
but knowing they are so young makes it so I dont want to meet them.
now if I only saw their photo and the the age range or no age....I would maybe go out with them because we are having good e mails.
does that make sense or no?
some people dont care about age.
I figure as long as they have been married and have had children then I am not taking away their chances for anything. I am not sure what to do when men in their 30's contact me.

now with men in their 20's or less...I laugh it off as just for sex and delete.
 lobo65
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2012 8:06:27 PM
I don't lie about anything on my profile, and never have. My stated age is my real age--even though it does leave me out of some womens' search patterns. If I do see a lady's profile who is a little younger than me who isn't looking for someone my age, I might email her to see if she will bend on her requirements though.
 kailania
Msg: 213
Posted: 1/19/2012 9:06:07 PM
lobo65: how do you email her if her settings dont include your age?
 lobo65
Msg: 214
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2012 9:44:48 PM
"lobo65: how do you email her if her settings dont include your age?"

I don't email very many on this site, but if memory serves they didn't restrict their emails. However, they stated their age preferences in the narrative section of their profiles.
 SilverLight
Msg: 215
Posted: 1/19/2012 10:00:09 PM
I've run into some male liars, from OKStupid and Snatch.com as well as here.

One guy wrote to me on another site and claimed he was 43. He looked older than that. He had told me his name and the name of his business. I looked them up on a people search on the net and he came up as 53. I said "what is this all about?" and sent him the link. He replied saying "That's interesting but false..I had my identity stolen a couple years ago and will have to look into that..thank you!"

I ceased writing to him sensing a huge pile of BS.

Then I noticed he changes his age on his profile to 53.

I have definitely seen men who claim to be in their 40's but they look like they are at least 70. Old/out of date photos are easy to spot as they are usually scanned from a paper photo. You can tell.

Another fellow I met lied about his age too. We became friends (never dated), and I finally outed him on it because even after a year of friendship he never revealed it to me. He LOOKED like he was in his 50's, not 42 as he stated. I looked him up and he came up 10 years older than he states.

"Yeah, I'm ten years older than you" he said. "I thought I told you that."

Oh BS, no you didn't.

I said why are you being deceptive with your age (and marital status, BTW..he's separated but lists himself as single).

"Because women my age act old and slow." he said, or something along those lines.

He continues to go after 20 somethings.
 xenolith23
Msg: 216
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2012 10:05:21 PM
It seems to me the common theme of the female posters above is that the men lied about their age in order to (try to) get significantly younger partners--as in ten to fifteen years younger. Women lie about their age (it seems to me) in order to get partners who are their own (real) age. To me, those are two different things, morally, and I just can't join in condemning women who make that choice. They're being realistic, not dishonest. A recent study by another dating site (which some of you may have read, it got a lot of media play) showed that the vast majority of their male members spent all their search time on women much younger than themselves and virtually never responded to emails from women their own age. Yet in 'real life" most people end up partnered with people who are more or less their own age, so, presumably, it's the mere number that upsets men, not the actual reality. Given that 'realpolitik" I don't think it's surprising that women 'shave' years off their age--it's probably the only strategy that's going to work if you simply want to meet people your own age. As for men who lop off ten or fifteen years with the hope of meeting a woman twenty years younger: no, that's not going to work.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2012 10:35:57 PM

To me, those are two different things,

both are telling a lie in order to reach a goal. the only difference in your argument is the judgment of reasonability you attach to the women's goal (so their end justifies their means), and the judgment of unreasonability you attach to the men's goal (so their end does not).

gooses, ganders, etc.
 kailania
Msg: 218
Posted: 1/25/2012 1:02:23 PM
a 55 yr old man saying he is 40 to get girls in their 30's to date or meet him
is almost gross.
once she sees him shes gonna know he isnt 40.
why cant(some) men in thier 50's grow up and face reality...
that they may eventually accept a woman with a few wrinkles and not as firm a body as a 30 yr old.
they dont look like 30 anymore either.
 That_girl*
Msg: 219
Posted: 1/26/2012 12:51:53 PM
well typically much older or much younger guys do this younger guys do it to try an get with older women an older guys to try an hook up with younger women..

the ones who have no photos or they only have blurry out of date pics saying that thier 50 but look 40 an feel 30 an can f cuk like thier 20 lol heard this 1 many times..

the older ones who say thier 40 or 40 ish WTH is with the ish part anyways?
but then when you see them you realize clearly thier pushing 60 to 70..ya guess they thought nobody would notice..
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >