Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 23
Does this site really work?Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
What if you were on here for three years and never met one person? What if you were stood up or only talked to losers? You would think it doesn't work.

But what if a couple years later you finally meet a great person and get married and have kids and live happily ever after? You'd think this site is fantastic.

It's all relative. It sucks until it benefits you, then it's wonderful. To each his own.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 24
Does this site really work?
Posted: 12/31/2009 11:30:45 AM
Michael, I'd say you're very likely to be successful here because I believe attitude is the whole of it! What a joy your profile is to read!!

Others are not likely to have PoF work for them at all, and reading their profiles it's pretty clear they don't really *want* it to ~~ they seem to want another opportunity to fail with the other sex, and therefore be able to blame *them* for all that's wrong with the world. Few, wise or dull, wish to fall for that kind of come on.

Deal is, no dating site, this one or any other, is going to substitute for you. YOU still are the one who has to be you and do the work: writing a great profile, dragging yourself through the exercise of first emails, making the effort to get to know another person, and revealing yourself, soul and history, to someone who may hand you your head. And picking yourself up, dusting yourself off, and *keeping a great attitude* trying again (and maybe again and again), until it works.

First guy I met here was a sociopath. I could have, with "good reason" just called the game, got my ball and gone home. I didn't. I stayed, met some great friends, male and female, had a couple of bummer dates, and at ten months in, met a marvelous guy. We're still together at two plus years, and with luck, till death us do part. So ya, it CAN work. If you want it to, and do your work.

Live long and prosper!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/31/2009 11:56:37 AM

It works for some, not for others. I have been on this site on and off for 5 years, and have met very few men. I am not a typical woman as far as appearance and personality according to men, so that makes my pool shallow.

In some eyes, that would make you far more attractive than a perceived "norm." (When you and "he" finally meet, whether here or elsewhere, it'll likely be the real deal rather than all the silliness others go through.)

~OT~ POF works for more than a love-connection. I've met many wonderful people here (men and women.) I have dated via POF, had one short-term situation and am currently dating someone that I met here. It has taken a lot of patience, effort, and time and has added a certain degree of frustration to my life at times, yet it is a valuable tool if you use it wisely and with caution/common sense. It's likely not a quick fix, but it certainly can work. (If it didn't ~ Markus wouldn't be a multi-millionaire!)

Happy New Year.
 OutMind
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/2/2010 9:13:19 AM
I think this site tends to work much better for women than for men. I say this because most of the ones complaining are men, while a lot of women complaint of meeting men that only want sex. For my money, I use this site mainly to post on the forums and not for dating. However, on occasion I have conversed and met with different ladies, all absolutely fabulous.

Yet there's one caveat, pay sites produce more results. It seems that people that go to pay sites want to get their money's worth and are serious about what they are doing, while here they are not. No, this site actually benefits from that, because half the advertising you see here is for some of the pay sites and sub-sites owned by companies like Match. So it all works together.

So good luck.
 RobertKoi
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/2/2010 4:04:46 PM
I don't think that women are more fortunate than men. It simply depends on how you look at it. Sure, a chick posts a few pictures and gets 10 or more emails within an hour. A guy does the same and the outcome will look completely different. If you measure success by the number of emails you receive or how many dates per month you get, then yeah, you could say that women are on the plus side. However, since quality is more important that quantity, I'd say that at the end of the day there's practically no difference. Would you rather get a 100 dates per month and not find a single person who actually appeals to you, or 5-10 who do? In the first case you'll be fed up with dating sites but in the latter case you won't. So again, I don't think that women are in a better position.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/2/2010 4:20:59 PM
The simple stat is there is probably a ratio of 20 guys for every girl here or much much worse.
Well, according to the guy who created this site, Markus, it's about two to one. But keep believing imaginary stats if it makes you feel better. I'd rather know the truth, myself.

ICMUD
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2010 4:39:42 PM
no no this site really works dude

i filled in the application form and submitted it and in 2 weeks i got a response and have been married for ten years now.. no wait, dam wrong site, thats mail order brides lol...

no this site dont work, to many man haters on here with the most bogan advice ive seen in life!

run for your life dude & run fast and never look back
 ICMUD
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2010 4:45:52 PM

this site doesn't work

hey oye101

how can a sex goddess like your self not have any luck?
guys go look at her profile, she is so beautiful and sexy and and and and smoking hot!!

it only takes 1 GENTLEMAN to make this lovely women so happy for the rest of her life, so get off ya a.s.s and make her happy

hope this helps lol..

ColonelIngus
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2010 6:47:04 PM

pay sites produce more results. It seems that people that go to pay sites want to get their money's worth and are serious about what they are doing, while here they are not.

Sounds great in principle, but surely you must know, OutMind, that 95% of those on pay sites aren't paying members, and therefore are out of bounds so far as ever corresponding with and possibly meeting is concerned, and last I checked the sites don't even tell you who they are so you can avoid wasting time on them.

If you log in, do absolutely nothing and expect 100 hot people to message you a day wanting to worship you, no, it doesn't work.

So are you saying there really isn't a Great American Man Shortage after all?

Then what's all the blather and belly-aching and really about?
 EveningStar4
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/2/2010 7:03:05 PM
Remember....everyone on this site has been wounded in one way or another....they say they don't have baggage....we all have baggage...that is what makes us who we are. I find that it is darn near impossible to actually bond with anyone on this site. I've been on the site for almost a year, received hundreds of e-mails, met about 25, got vomited on once by a psychologist who couldn't hold his liquor, got slapped around once by a policeman who didn't care for the word "stop!" and one man came in his pants when I kissed him. Can we say troubled???? Gees!
 juliet88_10
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/3/2010 4:06:03 AM
hmmmmmmmm i really dont know i have not meet no1 from this site in person i meet a guy and we chat but we just stock in cibersex nothing in person plus i really have not meet some1 local or at leat live near to where i live so sometimes distance is the problem. and i guess it depends at what you are looking for too a mean in personal way i just looking for certain kind of men's and not all locals who send me a email are what i looking for lol plus if you dont have a picture in you profile is hard too because or example i dont reply emails of not picture profiles.
 misszmsz
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/5/2010 8:27:25 PM
Sure it works as another great source to meet potential partners/mates.

I have 5 married friends who all met their loves on a dating website.

Just keep fishing, eventually you'll find one that's a keeper.
 Ron429
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:57:41 AM
Doesn't work for me and I'm male. I wonder how many guys it does work for, probably very few. O.K. I have records and statistics in case any of you guys are interested. Since February of 09 I've messaged/contacted over 103 different women in my area. I've met three and scored once. That's about a 1.0% success ratio. Some of you might say that proves it works. In my book only 1.0% of the time.
 okcowboy2
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 7:09:45 PM
Yes man this site really works I have been on here for a month or 2 and I have been on a few dates already post on the profile review section that really helped. Also just keep mailing girls. I've had a ton of no response emails but just keep with it.
 okcowboy2
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2010 8:31:52 PM
What kind of messages r u sending them u don't have to write a four page essay for the first message I usually keep the contact message to a quarter page or less just enough to let them decide if they want to know more or not but for every one response I get I have probably 20 that don't respond
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/18/2010 8:35:20 PM
They say they don't want users/players/liars/cheaters etc

Women who list things they want or don't want are talking about men they are first attracted to. If you have none of the traits she doesn't want or all the traits she does want, but she's not attracted to you, it doesn't matter.

Just because women don't list attraction as a requirement, doesn't mean they don't want it. Most assume it goes without saying.
 Im_pretty_lame
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/19/2010 5:23:04 AM
Everyone will have different experiences, but personally...I've had nothing but good luck with this site, I've gotten responses from nearly every message I've ever sent, have girls sending me first contacts, have gone on several dates, and seem to have possibly found someone worthwhile who I'd like to start something longterm with.

Be unique. If you don't set yourself apart from everyone else, don't expect much.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/22/2010 7:17:54 AM
^^^Exactly. IME, if the site is there when someone types is into their IE or clicks their favs, it's working.

What a person does with it from there is on them. Like life, the site is what you make it.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 11:58:32 AM

Women are flooded with emails daily so they just ignore you.

this is only true for the 20% of women with the highest rated looks.

another dating site did an analysis of first-contact emails and - using broader terms - found that 30% of women receive over 2/3 of the email.

which means - when you come right down to it - that the majority of the men are competing for the same few women.

this holds true across all age groups.
 curlygrl
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/22/2010 5:58:25 PM

Question......does this site really work?????

Answer: No.

God man. I like the theory of all these emails we get.

Yeah okay up there - keep dreaming. Keep trying to find an excuse
why we are not answering.

The truth is - WE DONT GET THE EMAIL.
 notregme
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 7:43:07 PM
been on since 2005 I think, and nadda!lol
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/23/2010 10:26:18 AM

I would have to say.. yes and no.

Women need to realize that there are more to people than just looks.

There are men and women who are into looks and don't care about anything else. There are also men and women who look beyond that and want to make sure someone has other important traits. They still need attraction to date though, whether they look for more or not. Therefore if you have all the traits someone's looking for but there's no physical attraction or interest, it's just not going to give you any ground romantically.

It's really attraction alone vs. attraction with added substance. One thing vs. all things. Where anyone gets the idea that looks won't be considered in favor of something else, I have no idea.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/23/2010 1:50:25 PM
You have not seen couples who are totally mismatched as far as appearance goes? The parents of one of my former students were an example of this. The man could have been on the cover of GQ, and the woman was not a beauty queen type, but not ugly at all to most I guess, but people were always saying they did not see what he saw in her since she was almost plain looking. They later divorced due to his having affairs, although the young hot babe he left his wife for left him for someone else. I am open minded about what I find attractive about someone's appearance, and some people are into certain appearances being the only ones they find attractive. Some people are looking for something in someone besides appearance, and if the person is attractive to them that is like an added bonus. True, these people are rare, but I have met some on POF and in real life.

Fifi47, what I mean by looks or physical interest is that the person in question has an attraction, not that other women agree with it. Of course everyone's version of attraction is different and has varying degrees of traits they're drawn to in a potential SO. I might not be able to tell what a woman sees in a guy, but she must see something in him. You have to admit that at a basic level, most won't want to date a person they aren't at all physically attracted to no matter what other traits are present.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/23/2010 2:46:03 PM
^^^Yes but are you saying you have dated men you had a hard time looking at or didn't find attractive at all? Again, what other women find attractive doesn't matter - it has to be what YOU like. And while a guy may be plain, there has to be SOME basic attraction on your part to want to know him better.
 curlygrl
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/23/2010 5:55:32 PM

Attractive women, not drop dead gorgeous, but attractive women can wake up to pages of new emails.

Are you IMPLYING that I am drop dead gorgeous???
Because apparently I must NOT be attractive because again, I and Im sure
a few of us do not wake up to pages of emails.

It's not a theory it's a fact. I have seen it stated in profiles, I have read it in the forums, I have talked with women here who told me this in email, and I have a female friend who used to be on this site who has told me this as well.

You know what - I am going to go with the gorgeous theory. Men are just
afraid to email gorgeous women.

Thank you Sir for the compliment.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >