Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Top ten seemingly unbreakbale records      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GreenEyesAndHam
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Top ten seemingly unbreakable recordsPage 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
pyp - ftr: OH MY GOD... PLEASE, PLEASE tell me you are joking???
...I was talking about a squat. You DO know what that is, right???
No, I seriously think that a 76 year old man who misleads people for fun and personal profit really holds the world leg-press record*.

GE&H
* Sarcasm. You DO know what that is, right???**
** Sorry, that was petty - I'll try harder in 2008.
 PYP - FTR
Msg: 77
Top ten seemingly unbreakable records
Posted: 12/31/2007 12:21:52 AM
Methinks you are missing my point, a squat and a leg press are different. Very different.
 GreenEyesAndHam
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2007 1:44:55 AM
You may think that, but you'd be wrong. Anyway, back on topic...

Of all the records listed in this thread, I'd now say that the Boston Celtics record for consecutive titles is the most unattainable. There's just too much free agency and trading nowadays. I knew they won a lot, back in the day, but I had no idea it was so much. I guess Bird, McHale, and Parish weren't the first great Celtics after all. Live and learn.

GE&H
 Thatguy67
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2007 5:29:31 AM
I've gone through the whole thread but I don't think anyone mentioned Darryl Sittler's 10 point game vs the Boston Bruins back in 1976. (6 goals & 4 assists) I always thought Gretzky or Lemieux would have broken that record but it still stands. Maybe Crosby or Ovechkin will break it.....

PYP - FTR
Msg: 80
Posted: 12/31/2007 11:20:35 AM
You are seriously out of your mind.
 frankster_p
Msg: 81
Posted: 12/31/2007 12:09:38 PM
Michael Shumacher - 7 time Formula 1 world champion.
Most wins.
Most pole positions.
 UnderpantsGnome
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Top ten seemingly unbreakbale records
Posted: 1/7/2008 9:20:19 AM
There are at least two pitching-related records that I think are even more unbreakable than Cy Young's 511 career wins, one of which being his 749 career complete games. That mark is considered by many sabermetricians to be the most unbreakable baseball record. While averaging 25 wins a year over 21 years will almost certainly not happen, I would say that throwing about 36 complete games a year over 21 years is even more unlikely. The last time a pitcher threw even 20 complete games in a season was 1986. There isn't one active pitcher in the top 100 list of most career complete games.

The other pitching-related baseball record (that also deals with complete games), which I think is more unbreakable than Young's 511 career wins, is Will White's 75 complete games in one season. A pitcher today would have to start and complete nearly half of his team's games in a season, in order for that record to be broken.
 eyes open 33
Msg: 83
Posted: 1/7/2008 9:53:06 AM
without looking -
can anyone tell me who cy young pitched for?

we all know how "great" he was...

isn't it about time we put some of there "records" in perspective?
 fishernick
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2008 10:13:07 AM
i know that the last team he played for was a boston based team but i think thats before they were the sox. that was like 100 years ago anyway, so people are more likely to remember the records and not the teams. cy young was obviously a man amongst boys and there is no way if he was placed in present day ball that he could come anywhere close to duplicating his accomplishments(except for the losses). so lets put his records into perspective, they are absolutley unbreakable. cy young was great and established a precedent that will never be duplicated
 eyes open 33
Msg: 85
Posted: 1/7/2008 10:48:57 AM
right
well you are wrong and thats my point
now tell me who babe ruth played for
ty cobb etc...
i completely disagree with you - respectfully

my point is that-besides the obvious race issues
-there is simply a competition issue as well
it was quite simply a different game-babe ruth the home run king?
with a juiced ball and a porch of 279 feet?

the man used a 50 ounce bat
watch arod swing a 50 ounce bat and see how fast he could get around

sports needs to adopt a standard where we say ok-511 wins-got you-now lets place that in the OLD era and basically build a hall for those guys and...begin again
unbreakable? no shit
 fishernick
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2008 11:21:45 AM
so just what am i wrong about? you need to open your eyes. cy youngs last year of playing in 1911 he finished his career with the boston rustlers. do you have a better memory of that day than i do? babe ruth averaged a 46 ounce bat for one thing, soriano uses a 38 ounce bat today. a bat is all about feel and what your are comfortable with as a batter, who cares what it weighs as long as you produce. yankee stadiums left field was 280 when ruth played and 318 now. a rod has the potential to be the best baseball player ever. up til this point in his career he is and if he stays on track he will be. ruth is by far the home run king. todays education on the game is far superior and the physical education is incomparible. ruth partied and played hungover and still put up the numbers he did, amazing. imagine what he would do in todays game with the proper training and preperation
 eyes open 33
Msg: 87
Posted: 1/7/2008 11:33:04 AM
huh?

question for you...have you ever played baseball??
they threw the ball around 75 miles an hour-and he pulled the ball to a porch 279 -sometimes 259 btw-a juiced ball at that-which is a full 38 feet different than today-and the porch kind of hung over a bit-so even if he popped it up-it caught the top deck

kind of different no?
kind of like the "best" hitter ever-ted williams-played in boston and not in a park like oakland's ( i know i know my point is a hitter's vs. a non-hitter's park)

quick
name the last oakland a to win a batting title
open your eyes
oh and btw
henry aaron-he of the 3000 hits without counting his home runs-was the home run king until bonds

a bat is about feel? no shit
and 50 is a lot different than 38!!! wow-have you ever swung a big bat like that?
 fishernick
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2008 11:42:18 AM
nice avoiding all the factual evidance i presented you and only going after my opinions. quick, who was the last reader to think there is any credibility to anthing you say?
 eyes open 33
Msg: 89
Posted: 1/7/2008 11:46:54 AM
what are you reading einstein?
your "facts" back up my point perfectly
you claim that there is no difference between a 38 and 46-50 ounce bat-ridiculous
is that your opinion?
is it fact?
either way-ridiculous

and 318-279= 39
again-you claim no significance
you sir-are no bill james
 fishernick
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2008 11:58:34 AM
you said i was wrong backpeddler, about what? where did i say there is no difference between a 46 and 38 ounce bat? when did i claim no significance about the left field depth? you talk out your arse and i am calling you on it. so what is the point that you are trying to prove here, that babe ruth sucked and williams was god. or that cy young was overrated. they are a few of the founding fathers that made baseball what it is today. ted williams was a great player and i will give him the respect he is due, but not at the expense of other legends of the game.
 eyes open 33
Msg: 91
Posted: 1/7/2008 12:25:35 PM
you really have to READ what i post
notice the quotation marks around the word GREAT when i was describing williams

my point there-was about the foul ground in parks like Oakland contributing to the lack of "great" batting title champions the A's have had and wondering if there is any correlation between where someone played-williams in a hitters park like fenway for instance-and their accomplishments-and when they played

and-before we call cy young "great" just because he holds a rather insignificant accomplishment-we need to put these "records" in context

there is a REASON no one has hit 400 or won 500 games or hit 714 home runs while being a fat drunk
you are right though and i apologize-your original thought on young playing for the rustlers slipped my mind-i didn't remember that the rustlers were from boston
my point though-was that the GREATEST pitcher by a lot of folk's standards played for the cleveland SPIDERS for the majority of his career...do we really believe his accomplishment should be brought up as the standard by which players form the 50's onward should be measured by or should we tip our hats to his era and move on
 Whataday
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2008 1:44:39 PM
WOW!!, good question...I'm thinking it is the amount of Professional athletes in the nineties that took steroids...that record will never be broken....They sure were fun to watch though.
 fishernick
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2008 1:45:46 PM
unfortunatley i have been reading your posts, if i could go back in time and take back that fact i would and save myself the aggrevation of my interaction with you. you minimize cy young and babe ruth and other prolific players in baseball, need i really say any more.
 eyes open 33
Msg: 94
Posted: 1/7/2008 2:23:37 PM
willie mays never took steroids
hank aaron never took steroids
warren spahn never took steroids

check out their stats...

against an arguably more level playing field ( ie ..african americans)

in a relatively modern era
where the statistics at least hint that a similiar game was being played
that the negro leagues and satchel paige et al. weren't excluded
that the game ( arguably ) resembles todays in terms of how pitchers were used-parks were built etc.

does pud galvin belong on a list ahead of warren spahn?
kid nichols ahead of roger clemens?

just asking
 fishernick
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2008 4:03:57 PM
the answer is no they do not. you are delving into so many important historical areas of baseball. the race issue is a major part of baseball history that i am not denying but dont see the corelation with our argument. you seem to be able to use a search engine quite effectively, what are you going to come up with next time. cant wait til your next obscure rant in whatever direction you decide to go next post.
 eyes open 33
Msg: 96
Posted: 1/7/2008 5:48:33 PM
are you aware of the meaning of the word correlation?

how can you NOT see it?
not only were the records set in a ridiculous era-they were not set against the best competition!!!!!

now do you see the correlation????????

here -this might help-

A causal, complementary, parallel, or reciprocal relationship, especially a structural, functional, or qualitative correspondence between two comparable entities
 fishernick
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2008 7:00:34 PM
all your " what if " arguments are very compelling. i even understand what you are saying and agree in some respects with some of the things you say. it was unfortunate, referring to race relations in the last 150 years in america and baseball. so in your opinion cobb, hornsby,jackson,browning,delahanty and ruth to name a few were all suspect and playing in a "ridiculous" era as you say. these were the grandfathers of baseball that you insult. you are not a baseball fan, you are a cancer.
 eyes open 33
Msg: 98
Posted: 1/7/2008 7:22:14 PM
they weren't barry bonds' grandfathers, dude

and if that is your opinion-i respect it-we obviously aren't going to agree
baseball's racial segregation is not my black eye though

go here for an informed look at how history needs to be looked at differently

http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/2007.10-joe-dimaggio-56-games/

just because you question the past does not mean you insult the individual
but seeing as how you brought it up...

cobb as you know -was a rascist- a real tough 140 lb piece of crap that jackie robinson would have busted over his knee if he came in"spike high" to second
ruth was an adulteress and a drunk
jackson a cheat
don't know about the rest-i am sure they were swell dudes
 pepsi40
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/7/2008 7:40:01 PM
Hmmm, sorry how about the worlds highest sky dive.

On Aug. 16, 1960, as research for the then- fledgling U.S. space program, Air Force Captain Joseph Kittinger rode a helium balloon to the edge of space, 102,800 feet above the earth, a feat in itself. Then, wearing just a thin pressure suit and breathing supplemental oxygen, he leaned over the cramped confines of his gondola and jumped into the 110-degree-below- zero, near-vacuum of space. Within seconds his body accelerated to 714 mph in the thin air, breaking the sound barrier. After free- falling for more than four and a half minutes, slowed finally by friction from the heavier air below, he felt his parachute open at 14,000 feet, and he coasted gently down to the New Mexico desert floor.
 antone53
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/7/2008 11:31:24 PM
Cy Young being #3 on that list is proof that the list is no good.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Top ten seemingly unbreakbale records