Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Top ten seemingly unbreakbale records      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 eyes open 33
Msg: 76
Top ten seemingly unbreakbale recordsPage 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
willie mays never took steroids
hank aaron never took steroids
warren spahn never took steroids

check out their stats...

against an arguably more level playing field ( ie ..african americans)

in a relatively modern era
where the statistics at least hint that a similiar game was being played
that the negro leagues and satchel paige et al. weren't excluded
that the game ( arguably ) resembles todays in terms of how pitchers were used-parks were built etc.

does pud galvin belong on a list ahead of warren spahn?
kid nichols ahead of roger clemens?

just asking
 fishernick
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Top ten seemingly unbreakbale records
Posted: 1/7/2008 4:03:57 PM
the answer is no they do not. you are delving into so many important historical areas of baseball. the race issue is a major part of baseball history that i am not denying but dont see the corelation with our argument. you seem to be able to use a search engine quite effectively, what are you going to come up with next time. cant wait til your next obscure rant in whatever direction you decide to go next post.
 eyes open 33
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/7/2008 5:48:33 PM
are you aware of the meaning of the word correlation?

how can you NOT see it?
not only were the records set in a ridiculous era-they were not set against the best competition!!!!!

now do you see the correlation????????

here -this might help-

A causal, complementary, parallel, or reciprocal relationship, especially a structural, functional, or qualitative correspondence between two comparable entities
 fishernick
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2008 7:00:34 PM
all your " what if " arguments are very compelling. i even understand what you are saying and agree in some respects with some of the things you say. it was unfortunate, referring to race relations in the last 150 years in america and baseball. so in your opinion cobb, hornsby,jackson,browning,delahanty and ruth to name a few were all suspect and playing in a "ridiculous" era as you say. these were the grandfathers of baseball that you insult. you are not a baseball fan, you are a cancer.
 eyes open 33
Msg: 80
Posted: 1/7/2008 7:22:14 PM
they weren't barry bonds' grandfathers, dude

and if that is your opinion-i respect it-we obviously aren't going to agree
baseball's racial segregation is not my black eye though

go here for an informed look at how history needs to be looked at differently

http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/2007.10-joe-dimaggio-56-games/

just because you question the past does not mean you insult the individual
but seeing as how you brought it up...

cobb as you know -was a rascist- a real tough 140 lb piece of crap that jackie robinson would have busted over his knee if he came in"spike high" to second
ruth was an adulteress and a drunk
jackson a cheat
don't know about the rest-i am sure they were swell dudes
 pepsi40
Msg: 81
Posted: 1/7/2008 7:40:01 PM
Hmmm, sorry how about the worlds highest sky dive.

On Aug. 16, 1960, as research for the then- fledgling U.S. space program, Air Force Captain Joseph Kittinger rode a helium balloon to the edge of space, 102,800 feet above the earth, a feat in itself. Then, wearing just a thin pressure suit and breathing supplemental oxygen, he leaned over the cramped confines of his gondola and jumped into the 110-degree-below- zero, near-vacuum of space. Within seconds his body accelerated to 714 mph in the thin air, breaking the sound barrier. After free- falling for more than four and a half minutes, slowed finally by friction from the heavier air below, he felt his parachute open at 14,000 feet, and he coasted gently down to the New Mexico desert floor.
 antone53
Msg: 82
Posted: 1/7/2008 11:31:24 PM
Cy Young being #3 on that list is proof that the list is no good.
 prairie pundit
Msg: 83
Posted: 1/8/2008 4:01:06 AM
^^^^
No it isn't. It's proof that the list is a person's opinion, just like yours and mine.

What amazes me more than Youngs wins, are the 749 complete games. That's basically completing every game you start for the next 25 years. That'll never happen again.
And the fact that all his records are almost 100 years old pretty much speaks for iself in the debate of which records will live forever...his already have!!!!
 fishernick
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2008 7:41:53 AM
so what exactly is your point eye wide shut? is it that all the white players were no good? you obviously have some race issues to deal with. if anyone here is a racist it is you. my personal heroes have been of all races and it has not been such an issue to me considering the year is 2008. i am not going to check out the site you provided in your latest post because i am already aware of the evoulution of race relations in baseball and the united states. it is an unavoidable part of history that shaped the game and the country for the better
 eyes open 33
Msg: 85
Posted: 1/8/2008 8:32:17 AM
first of all
i never called anyone a racist ( ty cobb aside-who is famously and on record as being one) and really resent you calling me one-i think you should apologize-to be truthful-it is an insult i don't think i should have to stand for

my point was that these players ( IMO) from the early days of baseball were not playing on an even playing field and were playing a form of baseball completely different form the baseball played form 1950 (say) onward
-the existence of the negro leagues and all the great players from there is proof of that

you may choose to accept the records of cy young as valid-i do not-it doesn't give you the right to call me a racist

and the link i sent you too-has nothing to do with race and is more of an historical look at ted williams and is -interesting to say the least and is published in an intellectual magazine (the walrus-kind of a canadian harper's)
-a fan of the history of baseball like yourself doesn't know every perspective and whether you agree with the author or not-when we stop learning we really do ourselves a disservice

i appreciate your insights-i don't happen to agree with them but you are informed-however-until you apologize i will not converse with you again...i know i know-big loss for you
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2008 8:52:51 AM
this has nothing to do with the baseball debate, but the record that I think is unbreakable is Wayne Gretzky's 92 goal in the 81/82 season. 50 goals is considered among the "elite" players and this is almost double that. With the trap defence and improved goalie equipment this record will never be broken.
Ps Fishernick I agree with most of your arguments regarding your debate with eyes and baseball.
 fishernick
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2008 8:53:30 AM
thank you for not conversing with me anymore. you have been calling me names and dragging some of the biiggest names in baseball through the mud, there is no way in hell i owe you an apology. you seem fixated on the race issue thats why in my opinion i feel you have race issues. i never denied that race played an intrigal part in baseball history, but we cant change the past. you blasted the babe and cy young (for starters) and i cannot forgive you for those actions. now please keep your promise and do not interact with me anylonger, you are such a headache. bye,bye
 prairie pundit
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/8/2008 9:44:17 AM
I agree that Hall's record will never be broken, but mainly due to the schedule now. Back in his day, the seasons were only 50 games, followed by a maxinum 14-game playoff. 64 straight games, followed by 5 1/2 months rest for nine season would be attainable for the likes of Brodeur, Luongo or Kiprusoff.
 prairie pundit
Msg: 89
Posted: 1/8/2008 9:59:16 AM
Ha ha...and walk uphill to school both ways
 eyes open 33
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/8/2008 10:21:20 AM
i'd like to see raycroft try and break that record without a mask
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what makes hall's record even more phenomenal is he threw up before every game-and sometimes practice, because he had to face booby hull in practice-who supposedly didn't let up much
imagine loving the game that much that you would fight those demons everyday
 painterpaul
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2008 6:49:53 PM
The University of Arkansas has 42-2 for a total of 40 national championships in NCAA track and field.

The ionly reason this incredible dynasty is not better known is because it is TRACK and Field and we also have only one of two types of track facilities in the UNITED STATES. We could hold a track olympics at our stadium and the athletes would be right at home in our world class facility.
 scotterpop
Msg: 92
Posted: 1/14/2008 7:50:11 PM
Tony Romo holds the record for hottest girlfriend ever.

Well, I guess there was that chick that Joe Dimaggio was married to.
 wassupwassabi
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2008 6:26:40 PM

Tennis great Pete Sampras came close to making the list, with his 14 Grand Slam titles placing him tops among male players of all time.

Although Federer could surpass him pretty soon with the way he's going.... unless Nadal has something to say about it!
 louiscyfer2
Msg: 94
Posted: 1/16/2008 7:04:47 PM
Michael Schumachers 7 World championships in F1. Also being on the podium for an entire season. The greatest racing driver of all time!
 prairie pundit
Msg: 95
Posted: 1/16/2008 8:02:42 PM
that one is on the original list louis. And the $100M fine handed out by F1 to McLaren, all the while allowing their drivers to maintain their championship points shows exactly how important a driver is to an F1 championship.

His record may never be broken, but it wasn't set because of Schumacher. It was because of the machine he was driving
 AvidArteest
Msg: 96
Posted: 1/16/2008 11:22:54 PM
Peyton's 49 touchdowns in a season.

Oops...
 prairie pundit
Msg: 97
Posted: 1/16/2008 11:43:43 PM
"a crap driver in same car wouldnt have been able to do the same."

On the other hand, put Schumacher behind the wheel of , say, a BAR vehicle and he wouldn't win a damn thing.
 prairie pundit
Msg: 98
Posted: 1/17/2008 2:20:17 PM
"in 1997 the Ferrari was quite a good deal inferior to the all conquering Williams.
And Schu took it up to Villenueve, almost beating him"

Exactly. Bottom line is, with the inferior car, Schu lost. And with the better car, Villeneuve won. And once Villeneuve jumped into an inferior car, Villeneuve lost. I see a trend here.
 prairie pundit
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/17/2008 7:51:45 PM
^^^^^

Technically, the way the question is asked, the correct answer would be whichever driver has the least financial backing in F1. There can only be one driver that fits that definition. I don't know enough about the sport to answer that question. Do you?
 prairie pundit
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/18/2008 3:28:03 AM
And a good driver in a great car can set records, Big deal. You guys have already agreed with me that even the best driver, put in an inferior car, will lose to a mediocre driver in a superior car. So at least w're in agreement that in F1, it's much more (if not all) about the car.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Top ten seemingly unbreakbale records