Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 freetime2bme
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Annoying neighbourhood kidPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Q:Any ideas how to get the kid to give it up?
A: Call the cops if he is digging up your yard of throwing dirt on your windows. If the mom will not deal with it bring in the big guns.
 no_1_bby
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Annoying neighbourhood kid
Posted: 5/9/2009 9:44:42 AM
Regardless of whether or not it's a rental property.. it's still under your CARE and you are responsible for damages to it.

Answer me this.. is she out side supervising him the whole time he's outside? If not.. um.. skip the police and call CFS. If you have asked her to control her demon and she refuses, not much the police can do other than say talk to her.. which you've done. I used to get so peeved at a neighbor of ours who let her then 5 yo out of the house at an ungodly time of morning.. before 7 am most days. He'd be gone on his bicycle all day long, would have lunch at which ever neighbor felt sorry for him that day and fed him, and she'd have no clue where he was most of the time. She wasn't supervising him at all. My kids were either outside with me, or in our fenced yard with me just inside the back door doing stuff watching thru the screen door. Where I am now there aren't fences to separate the backyards and it bugs the hell out of me when my kids go running thru everyone else's yards. I'm constantly on them about being mindful of other people's property.

I say call a landscaping company and have the yard repaired and send her the bill.
 ncdamsel
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/9/2009 11:04:18 AM
I agree with freetime2bme you have tried to talk to the mom ,and that did' nt work, looks l ike you have no choice left, but too call the cops, , hope its get better , good luck
 barbee1970
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/9/2009 11:28:14 AM
She's a head case. It's not your responsibility to have to entertain him if you don't want. I thought if you ignore him, he should eventually take a hint.

I go to the park and can't belive the language of some of these little boys. I heard one call a little girl a whore. Where do they get that mouth?
 wanderbaby
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 1:15:57 PM
sounds like the kid has autism or some type of behavioral issue and the mother thinks the only way to handle it is for him to get what he wants or he'll go terror on her, which i'm sure she doesn't like. Plus it also sounds that he is a wild child with no discipline given to him. and no you aren't over reacting. i'd be annoyed if someone came to my house that early. really at that time, he should be asleep, so it's speaking more of autism behavior, autistic kids do wake up way early and don't understand their boundaries unless they are guided for awhile to do certain things.

do you both share the same rental property management, if so, i'd call them and let them know of the nuisance and that the neighbor isn't taking any actions so he's leaving the other neighbor alone and bugging you mostly?. I also dito in moving, you're going to have to deal with her til either you or she moves. she will just ignore and won't discipline her kid if he misbehaves. docume t all that this kid does,
Posted: 5/9/2009 1:42:44 PM

sounds like the kid has autism or some type of behavioral issue and the mother thinks the only way to handle it is for him to get what he wants or he'll go terror on her, which i'm sure she doesn't like.

really at that time, he should be asleep, so it's speaking more of autism behavior, autistic kids do wake up way early and don't understand their boundaries unless they are guided for awhile to do certain things.

I am sorry, but what I am hearing is a great deal of assumtions about autistic kids! It is quite offensive IMO. Possibly the child is just a morning person with little to no supervision? You know, not all autistic kids behave like the child discribed, not even with poor supervision.
Statements like the ones made here do little but perpetate the myths about "all autistic kids" and make it hard for real autistic kids to get a fair shake. Please save the sidechair psychiatry for messing with your own child if you so wish...and stick to the dealing with what you see as "symptoms" for others! OP needs to deal with what the child is doing, and not pretend to have a diagnosis for the child. Diagnosing should be left to the professionals, and only those professionals who have real life interactions with the child.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 2:52:43 PM
Call the police and cps. She isn't supervising him properly if he is in your yard as much as you describe and as you do not have children, he has no reason to be in your yard at all. What he has been doing to the house whether six or not is criminal mischief and since the mom isn't doing anything about it, you need to call the police. If you have anyone that saw the windows, you could also make a complaint about that.

If she regularly drives away honking at 2 a.m. she is probably also violating noise ordinances. I'm confused, is she leaving this child with you at 2 a.m.?

You should also call your landlord for your own protection because one of your windows could easily be broken and the kid is doing that much damage the door is going to need more than your attention soon.
 wanderbaby
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 9:50:48 PM
Sorry to make assumptions, but regardless, some behaviors can't be controlled if someone has a disorder. and I wasn't tryng to diagnose it, but it seems with what the OP was stating about him taking medication and odd behaviors and waking up early to cause havoc should have some explainations for it. i think i'd be more understanding and wouldn't report to the police/cps if the child has behavior problems that he can't control.

Nor was my intention to give a bad rep to autism, my nephew has severe autism, and i've also been around other kids with autism, and they all seem to share some traits of waking up early. And yes i know every child is different. What saddens me is when if this is the case with this boy, if he does have behavior issues, and his mother is ignoring it, it only hurts him more for it than helping him.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2009 6:24:02 AM
OK, for everybody that wants to make excuses, find conditions or "reasons" to absolve the child and parents from this behavior, the kids just a fuking brat because his parents have not parented him. I too didn't think his behavior sounded remotely autistic because he is too sociable and frankly I have encountered too many kids like this child. I have been around autistic children and my stepson had ADHD and my daughter ADD and none of the three, autism, ADD and ADHD produces this type of behavior. Call cps even if you don't call the police.

The landlord to her property is on the tax rolls. If you cannot get in touch with the person by phone, write him/her a letter and make sure you make it clear that this little brat is running the neighborhood and destroying other people's property. With the attitude of the parents toward other people, if he is doing it to other people's property, he is destroying the house rented to this family. I would imagine that there are holes in the walls and God knows what else that is going to require repair when these people move. Normal families with children wind up with things that need to be repaired but if mom has this attitude that it is not hers she is not financially responsible, I imagine that she and her husband don't even do that because they don't think they are responsible for taking care of property they don't own. If you wind up talking to her again you should probably tell her that her husband should get to work because when they move, the landlord is going to sue them for damages.

I feel sorry for this kid, he is neglected and you should call child services because he could easily be run over, wind up with a new neighbor with a dog that tears his face off, or something else he encounters while being a cute, friendly, destructive child without boundaries and who is not held accountable.

When I first read this, I thought for a milisecond that you could solve YOUR problem with him by maybe spending some quality time with him, but it would never be enough. It is a shame that this child is so needy you could not handle it by welcoming him, really paying attention and establishing your own boundaries because with the attitude of the parents the coming at improper hours and banging until answered isn't going to stop.

Now, what I would do is tell him that since his mother is not teaching him right and wrong and because the things he does are not only wrong and a crime but also potentially dangerous (what if he goes to a house at an improper hour and gets shot mistaken for a burglar?), that you will be calling the police to deal with him and his parents. Probably won't work in terms of behavior but when the police show up, junior may give your house a wide birth.

You might also try being honest with him. He is six, not a moron. You know what Joey, when you pay attention to the time and my right to enjoy my house and answer the door when I have time to talk to people, you are a really cool kid. The rest of the time I don't want to be around you because you are obnoxious and it is unfortunate that your parents do not realize that the way you are being raised is making everyone else in the neighborhood miserable as well as you.

Joey, how many kids WANT to play with you? Do you want to play with people that get their own way and are mean to other children? Joey, you are not very nice and you have never learned any different because your parents think it is cute that you have no respect or concern for other people. Would you like it if I came to your house and broke your truck? I am legally responsible for this house and what you did by throwing dirt and digging up my lawn is just like breaking your truck and it is a big shame that your parents are not teaching you to respect other people's property.

Don't you think it would be nice to have friends and have people want you to come over and play? If you knock I will answer the door but you need to be a big boy and unless I tell you to come in or I come out to talk to you, you have to understand that I am busy doing something else and if you are my friend, I should be able to tell you what time to come back so that I can see your new truck or listen to what you did that you are so excited you want to tell me about right now.

This child is smart enough to know that whatever he does he is not going to be in trouble for because mom will giggle and he will go on his merry way so I would not remotely be concerned about damaging this kids psyche by having a conversation with him. He will understand what you are saying and if his mother has a problem with it I would tell her that you aren't parenting him, he is ruining my quality of life to the point that I want to move and you are such an ignorant fool that you probably think that is funny. Are you going to think it is funny when Joey winds up in jail because that is exactly where he is headed.

One of the girls whose mother works for the church was horribly disrespectful to adults, also the type that was unkind to new kids joining the youth group. She is now, because I jumped on her for her behavior to adults and I also told both her and my daughter one day when they were not being welcoming to the new kid, he is a nerd, etc., etc. I told them that they should be extra nice to him not gossipy and ugly because it is hard being the new kid particularly in a group as tight as the one he was joining. Her psyche wasn't damaged and several months after she met me she thanked me for causing her to think more about the way she behaved. Children often listen to people who aren't their parents when they either don't listen to their parents or the parents are like this twit and aren't raising their children. Now, had her parents never taught her to respect her elders or to be nice to other kids or had they not bothered to frame it in a way that she could conceive of how she would feel if someone were treating her the way she treated other people?
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2009 7:25:10 AM
kid needs a good slapping, if that does not work, contact the people who own the property.

pretty sure they do not want big holes dug in their yard either
 dixielady40
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/10/2009 3:26:43 PM
I've got a similar situation going on with the kid across the street. Except I do have kids and she constantly wants to come over and play. I homeschool my kids so they are home all day long and can play outside when she isnt' at home. It has gotten to the point that I have told my kids they are not allowed to play with her and if she comes to the other neighbor's house to play then they are to come home immediately. I had to run them out of my yard a time or two, but since my kids come inside when she comes around they don't come over here anymore. I've never talked to the mom because I have eyes and I see what kind of domestic life is going on over there and I know it wouldn't do any good. I haven't had to call the cops yet, but I am at the point where I've done all I can do and if pushed this summer that is exactly what will happen. Not to mention, the cops are pretty familiar with this family as well.

I know most places have very specific laws on how to post your property with no trespassing signs, which will help your case tremendously should you need to call the police over it. Take pictures and keep records of all damages done to the property as this is classified as vandalism since the child is not welcome on your property. The law will hold the parent responsible. Also, if the cops are called out and find it to be a case of neglect they will notify CPS so you won't have to.
 readyornot57
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2009 8:29:52 PM

trouble with nowadays u can't give the little shits a slap

I think everyone who read this thread should go over and slap the crap out of this little shit!!!!!
 dano5440
Msg: 24
wow!
Posted: 5/10/2009 10:26:05 PM
get a water gun and drench him every time he is misbehaving. he will get the message and it is not against the law.
she is child centred parenting and he needs discipline desparately
 anishinaabeikwe
Msg: 27
Posted: 5/11/2009 11:50:06 AM
Wow. That's just a bad situation any way you look at it.

The mother indulges the child - and apparently the grandmother does too. I'm willing to bet that the mother allows the kid to do whatever he wants so he's not bothering her. It's a lot easier to ignore the kid than to be a parent. Then grandma comes over and just reinforces that behavior even more. Bet she was the same kind of mom...

That said, it's obvious that the kid likes you. If he didn't he'd be bugging some other neighbor. The mom (and I know it should be a capatalized word - however - i can't bring myself to giving her THAT respect) probably couldn't care less about what he's doing or with whom he's doing it... Soooooo - maybe you can be a mature adult (the ONLY one he knows) and you can tell him exactly how you expect him to behave in your presence.

He's running the show at his house and even at his grandparent's home. YOU should not allow him to do that at your home. Tell him that you have rules, and if he wants to visit you or spend time with you - he must follow them. He will end up respecting you for giving him those needed boundaries and I'm betting you can have a positive impact on an otherwise neglected kid. (And yes - failing to teach a child simple social 'grace' and respect for others and their property is a form of neglect.)

Good luck with the little monster.
 Puppydog54
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/11/2009 3:35:41 PM
To Ready or Not 57...... Amen to that!
 AWOL4NOW
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/11/2009 8:25:57 PM
You need to be firm with the kid. Calmly talk sternly to him. Channel that one teacher from middle school who was most effective at getting everyone's attention. A firm adult voice is obviously lacking in this kid's life. If applied right, it'll shock him enough to get the respect you're looking for. Set the ground rules. I can be nice, but I'm not going to be a pushover.
 NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/10/2009 7:31:51 AM
I hope OP doesn't call the cops based upon her attitudes.
This kid is a brat and future career criminal.
 a8u1t7m0
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2009 6:35:53 PM
You have one of two options:

A. Befriend him
B. Fight his family (in court or by way of police reports and Child Protective Service calls, none of which will probably do much good)

Kids do better when they have structure. When they don't, they don't know what to expect and they constantly test limits in a destructive way. It sounds like he's bored and wants attention. If his Mama calls you a b*tch in front of him, I can only imagine what she says to him behind closed doors.

He sounds like he needs someone stable in his life. You can either be that person, or you can hate him and his family. Guiding a child is very much like being a coach...it takes patience and lots of reminders....and consequences.

If you decide to befriend him, tell him that on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays that you will sit and blow bubbles (or play with one of his toys, or PlayDough, or somesuch) with him. In return, he has to respect you and your property. He wouldn't like it if you tore up his toys, and you don't like it when he tears up your yard and gets your house dirty.

He likes you and he wants your attention....you actually have the upper hand.
 NocturnalPrincess
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/10/2009 10:07:45 PM
Befriending them only makes them see a sucker.
Their parents have money for cigs and oxy, but ever since I bought the children some ice cream and popsicles, I am just a source of candy. I feel bad for the children, but they are all "well known to the system" and have a case worker.
If you do report it, chances are they will tell you that they already have a case worker.
That is reality.
 a8u1t7m0
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2009 9:12:58 PM
NocturnalPrincess: "ever since I bought the children some ice cream and popsicles, I am just a source of candy"

Kids can be capitalists, but he woke her up to show her his new toy...I think that time with the child is what he is looking for.
 SantaCruzinCutie
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/20/2009 1:35:58 PM
i would have been on the phone with CPS from the getgo.. this kid is obviously neglected. holy cow.
ORRRR, i'd lodge a complaint with your manager of the rental, it's a public nusance.
otherwise, put up an electric fence. that'll stop him. haha.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >