Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Tamil Protesters To Paralyze Toronto Traffic      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 susan_cd
Msg: 26
Tamil Protesters To Paralyze Toronto TrafficPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

I just feel our country needs to prioritize and we have many, many, poverty, hardship and family desperate issues right here, never mind half a world a way.

Exactly. And if people are going to emigrate to Canada, I'd think it was to become Canadian citizens, not immigrants that come here to fight the battles they left in their country of origin. If you have a problem with what's going on in your country of origin, then stay there & fix it ( or send your message/protest from there), or become a citizen of Canada & deal with the issues here.
 mkabi
Msg: 27
Tamil Protesters To Paralyze Toronto Traffic
Posted: 5/13/2009 11:20:56 PM
Most of you people need to learn the meaning of pluralism, that is, to be able to see and assess from multiple viewpoints. You've heard the Sinhalese side, how about hearing from the tamil side?

Listen, I'm Srilankan tamil...
And, I haven't been to any protests, but I have my reasons...

I do somewhat support the liberation tamil tigers of eelam (LTTE), though.
I support their cause, but how they are going about it... is something I'm not so sure about.

Alright, obviously you know the Sinhalese are the majority in the country of Sri Lanka... and the tamils are the minority.

Some back-story though, like every country that was under the servitude of the British.... back when Slavery was legal and very popular, Srilanka was one of them. But before they came along there was 2 separate states... one for tamils and one for sinhalese. The british came, made it into one state. Slavery was abolished and just when the British was leaving... they left it for us to fight it out. The Sinhala took over the government, refused to let any Tamils into government. Wanted to make Sinhala the national language.... see we aren't as greedy as them.... we said why Sinhala? We don't even want tamil to be the national language. Why not English?

Most high officials from business, to schools, to even hospitals.... was occupied by a Sinhala so favoritism started.... a tamil that got a 90 percent was refused admission to a university because a Sinhala got in and he only got 70%

Our women were being raped... our men were being killed.... a process of ethnic cleansing was starting. All this government sanctioned.

This is all before the 1983 riots in Sri Lanka....

We've tried the peaceful approach.... look up Thileepan (http://www.tamilnation.org/indictment/indict046.htm)
He fasted to death... you know doing a hunger strike.... attempted to do what Mahatma Ghandhi did to gain liberation in India.

LTTE or how you people demean them by calling them tamil tigers.... is our saviours.
Terrorism... have you looked up the meaning? Its anyone who is opposing a type of government. The tamil people don't have a goverment.... our government is the LTTE and they are fighting for us.

All that propaganda you are hearing about the sinhala being in the right.... really????
Why aren't they letting reporters in? The SriLankan government is only letting people know what they want them to know.

Want a sample of the Sri Lankan Government's propaganda?
Here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/10/channel-four-journalists-sri-lanka
 susan_cd
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/14/2009 9:18:40 AM

Terrorism... have you looked up the meaning? Its anyone who is opposing a type of government.

That's the terrorist definition of terrorist; the dictionary definition is quite different:

ter⋅ror⋅ist  /ˈtɛrərɪst/
–noun 1. a person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism.
2. a person who terrorizes or frightens others.
3. (formerly) a member of a political group in Russia aiming at the demoralization of the government by terror.
4. an agent or partisan of the revolutionary tribunal during the Reign of Terror in France.

–adjective 5. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of terrorism or terrorists: terrorist tactics.

ter⋅ror⋅ism  /ˈtɛrəˌrɪzəm/
–noun 1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.
2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government

Using your definition of terrorist, any political party trying to get into power during an election (in Canada or the US for example) would be a terrorist. So Stephane Dion would have been a terrorist during the last federal elections here...
 davey1208
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/14/2009 4:11:05 PM

Still a majority that believe problems in other parts of the world aren't our problems.

When the rest of the planet feels that it's none of their business to get involved in other problems (I'm talking the big countries like Russia, China, Germany, etc.... ), why do you feel that Canada should then? Why should the U.S. keep doing all the hard work? When are the rest of the countries going to get involved and do some good for the people of this planet? Instead, they do nothing but criticize the way the U.S. and Canada go about things. They criticize the U.S. for going into Iraq and not into other places like Sudan, etc....

WELL, why don't these other countries take up THAT fight? I'm so sick and tired of hearing other countries telling the U.S. "get out of there, mind your own business, we don't want you here"... etc..

As far as the Tamil Tigers go... they will be history within a few weeks. A ceasefire will only allow them to survive, and allow them to re-arm, and attack once again, killing more innocents.
 mkabi
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/15/2009 10:10:03 AM
What do you call a government that is terrorising its people?

And, Susan... you say the definition that I gave is the terrorist's definition.... did you even look at your own definition?

Let me bring your attention to number 3 - "a terroristic method of governing OR of resisting a government." In other words, having an OR gives us the priviledge of replacing "governing" with "of resisting a government" in its stead.
SO....
A terristic method of resisting a government.

The LTTE is opposing terroristically a government thats killing off our people. Plain and simple.

See, I know that protesting here in Canada isn't going to do anything.
Fact of the matter is... this genocide is going to happen.
Nothing is going to stop it. And, the world is going to watch it happen.

Because of 2 reasons:
-We are going through a recession... we have our own problems which we are trying to solve. Listen, all those morons who are going to say... thats what I saying already... well Canada sticks its nose where it does not belong most of the time anyway. Sending our peacekeepers to Irag and Afghanistan to support Bush's War on Terrorism is something that comes to mind. We SriLankan's thought... hey why not intervene that way in Sri Lanka too.

-The other thing, everyone around the world (UN, US, Canada, pretty much most of the first worlds) is telling the Sri Lankan government to stop... but they are not listening or stopping and they don't care, because they have all the financial support they need via China:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6207487.ece

So this genocide is going all the way... we are all powerless to stop it. And, honestly, all those people protesting... its hope thats keeping them going.

But, for those who argue... they moved to Canada, start a new life... forget Sri Lanka. How can you forget if you still have friends and family there???
 mkabi
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/15/2009 2:36:47 PM
You know what... you don't own Canada...
I'm pretty sure you or your parents, or some generation of yourself immigrated here... so stop with the Canadian pride. We all know Europeans stole it from the Aboriginals...

If you are talking about the Firefighters who lost their lives on 9/11. Again, if Canadian can help the Yankees, then they could help anyone around the world including SriLankan Tamils.

So let me get this straight, you will help people south of us, but no one else in the world? If you want to mind your own business, then mind your own business... going to Afghanistan is not minding your own business. Going to New York is not minding your own business.

And, stop acting so childish... wah wah.... "we should lobby against stupid immigrants" wah wah. What kind of immature argument is that?
 susan_cd
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/15/2009 4:41:19 PM

And, Susan... you say the definition that I gave is the terrorist's definition.... did you even look at your own definition?

Let me bring your attention to number 3 - "a terroristic method of governing OR of resisting a government." In other words, having an OR gives us the priviledge of replacing "governing" with "of resisting a government" in its stead.
SO....
A terristic method of resisting a government.

Which is why I also included the definition of "TERRORISM" so you can differentiate between resisting the existing government with protests and elections ( like elections here for example) and resisting the existing government with terrorist tactics ( bombing, killings etc etc).

Whether the existing govt. in Sri Lanka are terrosists and using terrorist methods isn't the issue in this thread though, the issue here is what the heck causing a traffic holdup here is going to do tohelp the cause over there? And why did the people involved come to Canada in the first place, was it to start a new life here or was it to come here so they can protest conditions from their country of origin, and to try to bring about changes there? If they want to change conditions there, they should stay there to do it ( and perhaps do fund raising for their cause here). If you want to come to Canada to become citizens here, leave your political baggage behind.
 mkabi
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/15/2009 5:11:43 PM
I know its not helping anything.
But even staying there to change things... what exactly do you think is going to happen? You're just going to be shot in the cross fire.

Feminist movements, the million man march... picket fencing... only works in the western world.
 susan_cd
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/15/2009 6:03:58 PM

But even staying there to change things... what exactly do you think is going to happen? You're just going to be shot in the cross fire.

Possibly... maybe even probably... but what does stalling traffic here do to change things there? Yes, it may make some people more aware of the issues there, but after becoming aware most of these peole will shrug their shoulders & say "not my problem" or say there's enough problems here ( the lack of decent housing and water on reserves, as 2 examples) to deal with before we start worrying about some people on the other side of the world. Especially when the people that want change there left the other side of the wolrd to come here.
 susan_cd
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/15/2009 8:12:36 PM

Jeez, people in Quebec want to separate from Canada but you don't see them taking up arms and shooting people because the government won't let them become their own nation.

Ummmmm. .... how quickly they forget !

The Front de libération du Québec (Quebec Liberation Front), commonly known as the FLQ, was a nationalist and Marxist revolutionary group in Quebec, Canada with at least two terrorist cells[1]. It was responsible for more than 200 bombings, including the bombing of the Montreal Stock Exchange in 1969 and the deaths of at least five people. These attacks culminated in 1970 with what is known as the October Crisis, in which British Trade Commissioner James Cross was kidnapped and Quebec Labour Minister Pierre Laporte was murdered. Founded in the early 1960s, it supported the Quebec sovereignty movement.

FLQ members practiced propaganda of the deed and issued declarations that called for a Marxist insurrection in the view of which the oppressors were identified with Anglo-imperialists, the overthrow of the Quebec government, the independence of Quebec from Canada and the establishment of a French-speaking Quebecer workers' society. The organization was also influenced by other movements, such as those for the independence of former colonies such as Algeria, Vietnam and Cuba.
 susan_cd
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/15/2009 9:34:53 PM

i'm shaking my head. we have so much to give, so much that the country could be doing, here and internationally.

Sure, but I don't want our government spending our tax dollars in foreign lands UNTIL all our problems here are fixed. If your house is on fire, you wouldn't turn your hose onto your neighbor's house if it was burning too. Once we've fixed what needs fixing here, we can look at helping others.

Humanitarian aid for victims of natural disasters is another issue though, no problem with that.

geez folks. how are these diametrically opposed? can't we care about both, and people in between?

Sure we can, but we don't have the resources to help everyone, and it's wrong using those resources to help others when your own people need them too.
 susan_cd
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/16/2009 3:19:04 PM

however, i don't agree with the scarcity model. there is enough to go around. if there were a will, we could make it happen. if everyone reached out-- especially the rich countries-- a difference could be made in lives all over the world. i think we have a moral obligation to try to do both.

Moral obligation? Imposed by who? I wouldn't agree with that statement. It'd be great if those that could help did help, but they have no obligation to do so. And by rich countries, I'm assuming you include Canada in that group.... well, maybe you should lead by example, how much from your own funds have you given to the cause in Sri Lanka? It's much easier to decide the "government" should do something with it's money rather than with your own money... the problem is it is not the government's money, it's the taxpayer's money.
 Mss Charla
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/16/2009 4:27:25 PM
susan cd ... i luved your reply about ... rounding them up and putting them on a plane and let them protest at home !!!
Believe me if it was US blocking a major highway we would be run over by cops on horses tear gased and hosed !maybe thats a reason why you take kids n babies to a protest march.
Is there going to be anti tamil protest .. protest >> i heard something about one. Maybe a good time .. see who owns this city , province and country !!
 susan_cd
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/16/2009 5:44:14 PM

Is there going to be anti tamil protest .. protest >> i heard something about one. Maybe a good time .. see who owns this city , province and country !!

That'd be interesting, is there a Tamil meeting hall or other site? Maybe blockade it during a meeting, and keep them prisoners inside for the same amount of time the traffic was tied up.

Of course, the authorities wouldn't allow something like that to take place... that kind of action would be racist.
 normaldude
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:43:21 AM
i think a lot of the rash statements are coming from frustrated people who see repeatedly broken laws, huge costs to police the events and disruption of normal day to day life. I know this is nothing compared to the tamil war mess but still making everyone mad at you in toronto wont change a thing over there. How can a group choose to leave an area of the world because it is unsafe or has no future for their kids then turn around and try to force the new country to go there and change the politics that created the mess they left?
 susan_cd
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/17/2009 3:26:32 PM

which is what i think governments are for: to organize on behalf of the citizens and accomplish things people on their own or in small groups cannot. like building roads and hospitals and whatnot.

Yes, organizing on behalf of THEIR citizens, for the benefit of THEIR citizens, not citizens of other countries. Until such time as we have no problems here that need fixing, I'm opposed to using our resources to help those in other countries.

I'm sure the first nations people living on the reserves with inadequate housing, schooling, water, medical care etc etc would rather the $$$ be used to help them before we use it to help people in Sri Lanka... especially when the people doing the protesting came to Canada ( one assumes they came here to become Canadian citizens) and after getting here they now want our Govt. to intercede..... the best place to bring about change is at the place that needs the change, I guess they want the change but don't want to use their $$$ or risk themselves to get it.

am a taxpayer. i pay lots of taxes. as a citizen, i would like part of those taxes to go to peacekeeping in Sri Lanka and other parts of the world as well as rebuilding. by your logic, isn't part of that "government money" my money too, and the money of other people who believe the same way?

Sure, as long as the money stays in Canada until we have no problems here that need fixing, it's stupid to give your neighbor $$ to fix his roof when your foundation is crumbling. If we did have some say in how the tax $$ is spent, I'd love to see to it that all arts grants are scrapped.

Of course, if the feds want to have a nation-wide referendum, setting aside a sum of money and letting us vote whether to a) keep the money here to fix our infrastucture or b) send the money to some foreign land ( in the hope that it gets used for what we wanted it used for & not taken by a corrupt government for their purposes) I'd be perfectly willing to abide by the majority vote.

And I'm not being racist, we have corruption in the government here too.
 susan_cd
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/17/2009 3:29:53 PM

hope whoever wrote this might want to reconsider and take this back. these folks are 1. Canadian citizens and 2. our neighbours:

"rounding them up and putting them on a plane ..."

I meant for the purpose of helping them out & letting them hold their protest against the people they're opposed to, rather than in this country. Then after they've had their demonstration, welcome them back here. The protest & ensuing traffic snarl undoubtedly did nothing to further their cause, it just frustrated a lot of motorists.
 susan_cd
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/17/2009 3:34:16 PM

when england went to war with germany because of the mess they all made in europe, we were there, heart and soul.

i don't see the difference.

Well, for starters, as far as I know, Canada isn't an ally of Sri Lanka; while we were an ally of England.

Also, the fighting going on in Sri Lanka is either a civil war or a guerilla war or a war against domestic terrorists, depending on your views; hardly the same thing as the war against Germany.

I'm pretty confident if Sri Lanka invaded or attacked England, we'd join that fight just as we did in WW1 and WW2.
 davey1208
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:46:15 PM
well Canada sticks its nose where it does not belong most of the time anyway. Sending our peacekeepers to Irag and Afghanistan to support Bush's War on Terrorism is something that comes to mind.

What are you talking about? Canada is NOT in Iraq. Also, Canada didn't stick its nose into Afghanistan, they are there under U.N. sanction. They also didn't send "peacekeepers" by your definition. They sent soldiers there to protect the Afghan people, but are armed to fight the bad guys too. That's what "peacekeeping" is supposed to do, PROTECT. That's what police do. They carry arms. Canada is also there to train the Afghan military. If you want to bash the U.S. that's fine, I don't care what people say about them. I don't like their military tactics, just bomb everything from hundreds of miles away and don't give a darn where it hits, etc... but that's for another thread.
 davey1208
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:56:44 PM
My apologies. It says Quote, but anyone can interpret that as YOU QUOTE. That's how I read it.
 pappy009
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2009 4:16:37 PM
DantesInferno...absoutly right. Protest is freedom in action. I to do not agree with there tactics but I feel we have missed something here. The protest is not just about losing a war, but about the genocide that follows. These people have family still over there and what our Governments should be doing is ensuring that there would be no genocide of the Tamils. This is like one tribe fighting another and Rowanda is a fine example of that. And it took Canadian Peace Keepers to sort it out. Unfortunately as always we tend to intervene late. If you have noticed that Canada is a country that is well respected world wide for our nonpartisan approach to a problem...it is well known that middle eastern states insisted that Canadian representatives were on the negotiation teams...thats is a fact that is little known. The reason is that Canadians believe that we can live the life we choose and with that be the people we want to be. These people do not disrespect Canada they know we got something to offer. We should insist that the refugees of the Tamil people are taken care of. Children do not start wars.

--you can bet your azz that if a group of caucasians tried to erect a roadblock to protest something ( like the GST ?) they'd be arrested & hauled off before the media could even have a good photo op.--

When white people mass you got 500k people at an anti war demonstration on the white house lawn. Are we that young that we forget the demonstrations of the 60s and 70s to end a useless war. Its happened and in this time and economy your going to see it happen again. Soon!!!

----^^^^^This goes along with the other premise that only white people can commit crimes of hate.---

A good observation because it can be used by non whites. But the reality is that white people are comfortable. Which means don't mess with us. We are a majority. And we can moblize faster than any other race. Were like squirrels we hoard for the winter. Don't take that away. Trust me, white people can moblize faster than any race on this planet and we have proven it. Thats why we seem to be more prejudiced. We act together better than most races.

--Today I sent a letter to my municipal, provincial and federal elected representatives telling them that this type of protest has to stop now! If you want to have more of an impact then send your elected reps letters as well. What we say here should be sent to the various levels of government so they know exactly what we think and feel.---

I'm with Fred on this. Ever notice something. When the Americans vote in a president they almost worship the guy. When Canada votes in a Prime Minister we hold him in contempt. You better do what we want you to do or your gone. We tend to vote in the lesser evil better than the Americans. And with no slander to our friends south of the border but I think they should adapt this Ideaology.

---They are you and me. They are every man/woman with a conscience. They are hurting and they need to be heard. And Canada as a member of the United Nations needs to make our voices heard, needs to lobby hard and strong for UN intervention. Like Martin Luther King Jr said "an injustice against one man is an injustice against all men". ---

Father3 put it plain and simple. Kennedy did the same. We share this planet. Human rights must supercede any other form of authority. Its the way we should all be. Now that the Americans are in the war in Afganistan Canadian military is now concerned with restructuring there country. Law and the rule of law must be the priority. Canada is now involved with the intricate ideals of a society. Law and order must prevail. Why was this now given to us. Because we have not interest in there country as far as commerce is concerned on a national level. We are not in it for the money. Were in it because we are Canadians. And a man and woman have the right to there freedoms. And they are undesputed.

--I have bigger issues--

What paying the hydro bill.
Funny thing about terrorism. A people come and take your land away. Your families cannot fight this invader. It could be economics and commerce or military. But it seems your a terrorist because as the last straw you walk out into a market place and blow yourself to pieces. They do this because there is no other way. Something is tragic. Would you do this. Are you that comfortable. Look at Gaza a prison camp of more than a million people and that is exactly what it is. A Prison camp. In this country people have a voice if they wish to use it. Do we know this to be true in Sri Lanka. I doubt it. Thats what we should learn. If the people have a voice.... You got one. I read it on here. And on here it means nothing. In Government it means everything or you vote the****out. A demonstration is the fact that some people have become desperate. I am sure that every one of those protesters would want there family in this country. And Why.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

That web site has the Universal declaration of Human Rights under the UN. Read it. Trust me. It only works if we make it work. There are some things out of the UN that is good...not many...but this one is. Guess who wrote most of it...Elenore Roosevelt...quite the woman. I hope I spelled it right. But what I find funny is how come the world respected this American Woman to create such a document. You got to honor that woman. That ones for all the woman libers.

Look at the world we live in.

Its not about us intervening in Sri Lanka its about us acting on the world stage to ensure the innocents are not genocided out of existence. Thats what its about. The Tamils demonstrating will not stop the war. Its not our business and they know it. But we have a world society and with this a responsibility even as citizens in our own countries that we cannot condone the slaughter of innocent people. If the soldiers want to die thats there business. But as a human being I cannot stand buy to see innocent children killed. In Sri Lanka or Iraq. I do not support these actions. And if we all do not support these actions they will not exist. Thats on a world stage. You take the power away from them.

Msg: 29.....so what do you think about the Partiot Act...do you need an Act to be a patriot. And as far as coruption is concerned just think about the Bush Administration. Even in a sophisticated society as the US there is a tremendous amount of corruption same in Canada and every where in the world.

Msg: I am sure you do not watch certain religious channels on the tube. I am certain of that because of what you posted. America is fighting a religious war right now. A crusade. Again. This is about the unholy muslims and the Onward Christian soldier. Just watch some of those religious shows. And America is very religious. Bush went to war with Iraq because G-d told him to.....go figure.

Article 1.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

UN Human Rights....your a human aren't you.
 susan_cd
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/18/2009 8:14:26 PM

Article 1.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

UN Human Rights....your a human aren't you.

It says "should" act towards.....etc etc. It isn't required by law or enforced by the UN so in this case it's just "feel good" rhetoric. In any event, the portion of my disposable income I have available to help those in need is being spent on those in need here in Canada. The same should go for any government funds, help our people here before trying to help everyone else.
 normaldude
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2009 5:15:18 PM
WOW.... susan-cd you rock! maybe you should be a politician? You debate like a word ninja! I pity the fool who engages you in any verbal battle!!!! If we sent you to the UN you would clean house!!!
 someonetookmyname
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/19/2009 6:58:43 PM
well , wars over ...
 susan_cd
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/20/2009 8:28:14 AM
one thing people should understand is that the people that are making some of these 'racist' remarks are the minority in canada.

If any group does an illegal public protest/demonstration and disrupts traffic ( as 1 example) to protest events at their country of origin and other people tell them they should go do their protesting at said country and not here that of itself is not a racist remark.

They're being told to go do their ILLEGAL protest at their home country, they're not being told to get out of Canada because we don't want their kind here. Go do such protests there, then return when you're done. Yes, what was going on in Sri Lanka was terrible, but when you immigrate to Canada one would think that it's to become Canadian citizen; don't bring your political turmoil baggage with you. For those that are going to accuse me of racism because of that comment, please note that I said political, not cultural. And sure, preserve your culture, but as you're coming here to become a citizen of Canada don't expect us to change our political, judicial system or culture to fit yours. If you aren't coming here to become a citizen of Canada then why are you coming here?

One of the problems in this country is how we perceive ourselves. Ask people about their background & they usually say French- Canadian, Ukranian- Canadian, Japanese- Canadian. The emphasis is on the wrong word, we should look at ourselves as Canadian-French, Canadian-Ukranian, Canadian-Japanese etc etc.
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Tamil Protesters To Paralyze Toronto Traffic