Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > The "I just don't get it!" thread!!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SusieStL
Msg: 76
The I just don't get it! thread!!Page 4 of 44    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
OMG Skipper.... I think her name starts with a "K"...

here it is 3 am and I am still up.. that darn nap I took in the afternoon... AND I had to get my house clean... getting company on Sunday that I wasn't expecting... but I am excited about the whole thing.....going to have some good bbq... I am so glad I bought myself a new grill...good investment.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 77
The I just don't get it! thread!!
Posted: 5/24/2009 2:12:24 AM
Goodness gracious! "They" was implying ALL EXXES....not JUST male, or JUST females...but exxes in general.

Come on! Be honest! How many, even when you KNOW you are DONE with an ex, don't exactly like to tell them everything? (It's not their business, either!) "Are you dating?" gets answered with "Meh" or "Not really" to avoid confrontation.

OK...now that I got that cleared up! I did not take a nap earlier...went to bed kinda late...and I am STILL waking up, Susie! I thought it was an old age, thing!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 78
Posted: 5/24/2009 6:48:13 AM
^^I like to intentionally park in the rear of a lot, and get a little extra exercise in....but I agree, it is RIDICULOUS to see how many "prime" spots are allotted for handicapped, pregnant women (WTF!?), and the biggiest whammie...."Employees!" I do not know if they are required to have a certain percentage of their parking, as handicapped....but it is silly.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/24/2009 9:18:20 AM
No need to agree to disagree....we are not disagreeing!

I (nor Trekker) never said that there should be NO Disabled Parking. (which is the PC way of saying it, actually! LOL)

I simply remarked on how many were allotted for such....Trekker pointed out UNUSED.

As a former Program Manager who worked with people with all sorts of barriers...as a disabled person myself...and as someone who is empathetic and senstive...I would never dispute such a right. Hell, I am partially responsible for getting local news channels to live caption their broadcasts in Ohio, many moons ago...I consistently advocate ADA rights...and ummm, well...been doing the genetic testing for research since I was 11 years old. :O)

I just don't get how some posts can be sooo misconstrued!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 80
Posted: 5/24/2009 9:33:15 AM
Well, ultimately, if someone has a disabled parking placard...then it is no ones business or place to wonder what their disability is. If they do not have the placard or the permanent plate....pop open your celly phone and call the local po-po and report it! Nice little fine!

There are LOTS of invisible disabilities...pulminary disease, for example. Hell...obesity is a disability these days...you can be a druggie or an alcoholic and be considered "disabled" and pull a nice check....though I do not think it garners a placard.

What really cracked me up the most about this topic and gave me that WTF look....someone who rammed into me, was legally blind enough to get the placard, but was still able to DRIVE. Ok...you can see to drive, but you can't see to walk to the entrance of the store??
 previouslyme
Msg: 81
Posted: 5/24/2009 10:22:44 AM
Wow... You don't know what it is like until.?.?.? When you have someone in a wheelchair that is near and dear to you. Try going on a road trip. Heck, just getting into some of our POF events was impossible without help! (Thank you Frank~that is the 1st time I ever talked to you) Try traveling with 2 or more! Try going to the store and when you come out there is a motorcycle parked in the striped spots where your lift is going to need to come down. Or while you are parking and getting transferred from the driver seat to the wheelchair, you open your doors and let down the lift only to have a cart parked there in that 1 minute! Causing damage to you ramp motor. The store managers don't even realize why there is striping. There is a percentage of citizens that need easier & more direct access to business, so thus there is a percentage of alotted spots. The last trip we went on there were no handicap spots left where we were staying. When was the last time you went to a handicap access hotel and had a shower that you could use that you didn't have to step over something?

We could go on. Hang out with someone that rely's on a wheelchair to get around.... You won't even like the door way at McDonald anymore.
 previouslyme
Msg: 82
Posted: 5/24/2009 11:18:48 AM
It keeps you in shape! Thus you learn little tricks for doing the impossible. The guys are both full grown men over 6' tall. Dead weight, they have minmal use of the arms. They can push a bit, but not pull. They do amaze me with their comical and perverted talk. I have never flown and real distance, and none with them, so I can't even begin to imagine. We usually travel by full size van with a lift.

You know, they could just sit at home and let someone else deal with the other issues in public places and stay at home not working, collecting disability. Just because there is handicap access, it isn't always easy to get around anyway. But, no, they choose to face the challenges, get full time jobs when they can.

How many people do you know have zero steps to get into their house so you can visit? How many people do you know have a full bathroom and bedroom on the main level? It seems a lot of 2 story homes don't even have a bedroom on the main level. Even if you don't have a friend or family member that relys on a wheelchair, what if? It happened to our family. A lot of seniors go to walkers and wheelchairs at some point, wouldn't it be nice if they didn't have a challenge just to visit people?
 Sue-De-Nym
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/24/2009 12:26:59 PM
..someone who rammed into me, was legally blind enough to get the placard, but was still able to DRIVE. Ok...you can see to drive, but you can't see to walk to the entrance of the store??

Kat, I said I was sorry about this - how many more times are you going to bring it up?!

I can see this issue from all sides but let me say this - there are times when I'll be visiting my mom and she'll send me to the store to pick something up for her and several times she's handed me her Handicap placard so I could park closer to the store. Hhmm. I always refuse it, reminding her that I can walk just fine (although she cannot) and I would feel like a real heel using it. I wonder how many people use the placards of family when they don't need it?
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 84
Posted: 5/24/2009 1:23:09 PM
^^THAT would piss me off, royally, Sue-De! I mean, to save a couple of minutes, when 99.9875% of can USE the exercise, anyway?? Sheesh.

All I can say to your "I don't get's" Sheila...are CALL THE POLICE when some inconsiderate sh!thead does such...which would be NICE compared to smashing into that bike with the ramp, or keying up the car!
 previouslyme
Msg: 85
Posted: 5/24/2009 3:48:55 PM
Most pd's want it handled through the business. The business don't want to be bothered. When you do have to call the local pd, it takes a long time for them to get there, not a emergent situation. Just how many business can you quit using because of this before you are stuck with no place to go.

I don't get it how 50 people can watch me trying to help the 2 guys get up a make shift ramp into a business, then tackle the doors for each of them. Even the employees... I guess it is free entertainment...

Going down a side walk at a fair after a rain storm, trying to get through, you say excuse me and they all move to the side walk like they are doing you a favor... Then you have to tell them why you can't go through the soft soil and grass.... And why do they put the handicap "jonny on the spots" out in the middle of a mud puddle way far away from a side walk...

Guess you gotta sit in a chair for a day and see what you can do. And take off half you arm muscles.... push, no pulling... No grip...
 SusieStL
Msg: 86
Posted: 5/24/2009 10:14:59 PM
Please remember, things are NOT always as they appear.... like it was said, if someone has a HC tag... it doesn't matter why, they have one and it is not someones place to question it......it isn't like you can just go buy one.. your dr has to give you a form... I know I have to have one a few times in my life....
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/25/2009 7:06:39 AM
I have NEVER been told by a police department (yeppers...I HAVE called!) that they were too busy to come dole out a nice fatty fine or assist in your being able to move. (They call a police ordered tow truck!)

Keep in mind...if a disabled person is ALREADY PARKED (not looking for a spot) and they come out to find they cannot open their ramp...they can't DO anything else. Sure, if you were along with your brother, for example...you could move the van. But not all disabled persons have that alternate or that option and the POINT IS, should not have to accommodate the ***hole driver who parked in their spot.

But I can also tell you why those things happen. Most are created by able bodied persons who just do not think of such. Get involved with ADA and Disability rights groups and voice your knowledge....that's the paved road to change.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 88
Posted: 5/25/2009 9:58:17 AM
You have to have a Doctor fill out the form....with detailed info about your disability, including percentages and WHY a placard is needed. Unless they changed it in the last two years...and in Missouri.

Hmmm....

I just don't get why my freaking neighbor put a roof with no gutters on their back deck...OMGawd, their rain flow turns MY yard into a swamp! Look forward to when the thing caves in...cause it is sloping already!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 89
Posted: 5/25/2009 11:39:51 AM
I think the Mother's to be parking is silly....because the majority of normal pregnancies, exercise is healthy up through birth...in other words, it is good for them to walk their knocked up asses from their car to the store! If they are having such a hard time (I am referring to normal pregnancies) then maybe they should not be out shopping? Anything else, they should qualify for a temp placard! I mean, what's next? Obese parking? Bad Fvckin Headache Parking? Big Tits Make My Back Sore Parking?

I will check and see if we have any ordinances! :O)
 previouslyme
Msg: 90
Posted: 5/25/2009 1:25:32 PM
Some of those you mention do actually turn in to issues for needed a better parking slot believe it or not! When I was carrying my 2nd child, I would start having contractions with too much walking or standing, my employer asked me to go on leave early because I worked on the 12th floor, 2 of them didn't have elevators to them, it was great, full pay from Thanksgiving for 10weeks. I still had to shop for things, I knew what it was, so it didn't bother me. He didn't come early either just 3 days before his due date.

With the water run off... I agree, we have an ordanence on changing the water flow and effecting neighbors, you have a right to complain.

As far as hc parking/access... Most of the pd want to make sure the business takes care of it so that when they get there the person hasn't up and gone. The vehicles designed for wheelchair people aren't quite the same to operate as your typical car. Some don't even have a driver seat.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 91
Posted: 5/25/2009 1:35:13 PM
My point with calling the police...parking issues are a POLICE MANNER. Businesses are not allowed to tow, ticket, or anything...THEY have to contact the police to do such. It is NOT the responsibility of the business, to my knowledge. And I realize equipped vehicles are just that...different. THAT's what I was referring to...it's not like "someone else" can just move the vehicle to a different spot. And I swear on all that is holy...if a motorcycle or car were to park in the yellow lined area in MY space (if I required such)...I WOULD damage their vehicle with my ramp/scooter whatever.
 SusieStL
Msg: 92
Posted: 5/25/2009 4:37:19 PM
Kat, Kat, Kat..... now girl you are lowering yourself to their mentally. I am a firm believer of Karma.... they pull something like that, well I wouldn't want what they are in store for.

My mother in law had lung disease, she couldn't walk very far needless to say... so there were times I would drop her at the door and would park at a distance, but then there were times she needed assistance in walking.

I just don't get why people don't realize ..." IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT YOU"....people, people, people be considerate and have some compassion for your fellow man who hasn't been as blessed as yourself.

HarleyKat~
Msg: 93
Posted: 5/25/2009 5:01:00 PM
LOL Susie....if someone is stoopid enough and just lazy and mean enough to park there, then I would! After all, it could innocently enough happen to where I just did not see such, and OOPS! Who's fault is it? Theirs.

Edit to add: I agree with Luuucee. I have had 3 pregnancies that were to term, for a total of four children. Also had 2 miscarriages. 3 were high risk and the one that I was bedridden...meant no shopping, driving, etc.

OK...what else do people just NOT get?!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 94
Posted: 5/26/2009 8:22:41 AM
Awww...that is such a cooool story! Could be a thread all in itself..."the good ole days!"

I just don't get the parents who use their children as pawns when a relationship/marriage bellies up. *sigh* It frustrates me to see this happening. I also don't get the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality some parents have.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 95
Posted: 5/26/2009 10:46:08 AM
OH MY GAWD, Jazz!!!!!! You gonna tell me she gets bogus disabled parking, too?

Sheesh. Argh. Yeah...screw up with the 1st and 2nd...3rd times a charm?!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 96
Posted: 5/27/2009 8:46:02 AM
If only^^^^it were so easy!

Does mother live with you, as well?? I got the impression NO. Can you very simply explain that this baby will be HALF siblings with them, and have a different baby daddy? Prayers to you, hon....seriously.

I just don't get how one day I can go into a store and see 1000 things I would buy if I could afford it....but then go in specifically looking for ONE shirt, and NOTHING.
 previouslyme
Msg: 97
Posted: 5/27/2009 1:10:44 PM
Kat, I know the feeling. My girls and I can go shopping at a mall and visit so many stores and go home empty handed. I am glad that I can sew, but sometimes I just wanna have it easy.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 98
Posted: 5/27/2009 2:45:26 PM
Sheesh...what an outdated, ancient stereotype at that! Ick! I guess cause they were old farts? LOL But it was nice...next time just tell 'em you believe in "Paying it Forward." :O)

I helped a turtle today...actually saved it's life! And NO, Mac...not your kind, the real live kind!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 99
Posted: 5/27/2009 2:59:31 PM
*snickers* FM?? I realllllly wish you would not confuse reality and fantasy in public, love.

*Ba Ba Ba Bump!*
 previouslyme
Msg: 100
Posted: 5/27/2009 3:33:45 PM
Oh there were days I wanted leave someone behind or grab her by the hair and drag her out!

Growing up out in the country the road we lived on was one of the ways you could go from Belleville to the JB bridge. A couple times motorcycles that broke down nearby when my dad was home he would help these big "biker" dudes(the stereotype) push the bike up and over our hill and driveway and give them a ride to get parts. Sometimes take them home. Then they would eventually come back with all their friends and work on the bikes in the back driveway. I think that was the 1st time I recall seeing what we now call "plumbers butt". I always wondered what these guys thought of all us kids staring at them while they worked, there were eventually 10 of us about 1-2 years apart. There was always something going on!
Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > The "I just don't get it!" thread!!