Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Landra
Msg: 8
Farrah Fawcett's CancerPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
When a celebrity or cultural icon dies, it gives me pause.
I remember seeing Farrah on Charlie's Angels and thinking that was how the most desirable American women looked.
It doesn't make me think of my own mortality. But it does serve as a reminder that fame, celebrity, fortune, beauty-- none of those things matter in the end, nor do they protect anyone from what life brings.
 yooperbrat03
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Farrah Fawcett's Cancer
Posted: 5/18/2009 1:02:11 AM
I watched the T.V. special this past Friday and I'm in a way thankful that Farrah did do this and helped to bring to light her battle with cancer, how she's still fighting...
It also made me sad, because my dad didn't even have the chance to fight, his battle was already lost before his diagnosis. But as someone who's been in the hospice field for a number of years you need to have compassion and empathy. One of the most difficult choices in life is to choose death....
 roguevampire
Msg: 12
Farrah Fawcett's Cancer
Posted: 5/18/2009 7:33:11 AM
actually, not everything dies. for example, losters, have no normal lifeline. if left alone, lobsters can literally live hundreds upon hundreds of years.
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 13
Farrah Fawcett's Cancer
Posted: 5/20/2009 6:45:05 AM
Op, I was one who thought Farrah was simply one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. I watch her special and I greatly admire her for her strength and for allowing others to see what cancer does. It takes a rare person to allow themselves to be shown in the condition she is now.

However, near the end when they made the decision to give her the stronger chemo that would cost her her hair I almost wanted to go shake everyone connected to this.

I had stage 3 colon cancer, told I had a 40 percent chance of living 5 years....the dr told me about the chemo, it was the routine treatment for my type of cancer and my stage and he added that I wouldnt loose my hair...it might thin but I would still have it. He then said if it doesnt work then we will give you a more advanced treatment...I looked at him and said it was in 5 of 15 lymph nodes..we both know it is there ..somewhere inside of me...why wait until it has a chance to grow lets go with the advance treatment now. He excused himself for a moment and came back and said ok we will give you part of the routine treatment and the advance treatment at the same time but you will loose your hair. It literally kicked my ass, the way the video showed her at the end was the way my treatment was...I was so sick all the time, instead of being finished in six months it took nine ...my blood was so weak many times they couldnt give me the next treatment until I recovered ...at times I thought death would be easier...however today over six years later I am still cancer free. If I had chosen to keep my hair I doubt I would be here today.

The chemo did cost me alot of my life, I have severe short term memory issues, my daughter says it melted my mind but with time and alot of work I am rebuilding daily. It made me a better person so in the end I am quite happy with the way things worked out.
 emnems
Msg: 14
Farrah Fawcett's Cancer
Posted: 5/20/2009 5:57:24 PM
It is hard for anyone today to escape having someone they know or love that hasn't been touched by a dreadful disease. Celebrity or not Farrah waged a very heroic public battle. Of course no one new until the special aired that it would be so public. I cried for her, her family and everyone out there who has had to deal with this. She bought herself a couple extra years by the experimental / alternative treatment. Her celebrity and the income as a result of it allowed her to go and buy two years. You, I and most "lay" people cannot afford to do that. Not everyone can tolerate the treatment she received, you have to practically die, treatment is poison. Her support network was also a factor in her being able to do what she has. Again not everyone has the luxury of a good friend / family member who can dedicate their entire time in being there for you. My beautiful son fought his own courageous battle with the dreaded disease, the couple of weeks that treatment gave us, was it worth the suffering he had to go through, the painful treatment, debilitating side effects, guess who he did it for, not himself but me, his mom who he knew would never get over losing him. He is my hero and one of the many brave, courageous, young souls who lose their fight. Farrah has taught us a lot about courage, the illness, society, paparazzi, the cruelness of mankind to invade her most private of times for profit. Shame on them. I hope anyone who reads this never has to find out just how much it took for her to put this brave face for the cameras to share her message. Bravo, it would be one of your finest and most honest roles. She came into this world with the same opportunities and advantages as most of us have (none when you are a baby). She did the best she could and in the end that is all any of us can do.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Farrah Fawcett's Cancer
Posted: 6/25/2009 11:32:57 AM
Well, she's at peace now.

R.I.P., Farrah.

~ds~
 JWG86
Msg: 20
Farrah Fawcett's Cancer
Posted: 6/27/2009 10:31:56 PM
I don't identify with celebrities really. What really drove home my mentality was spending some time in the hospital, as well as a few of my friends having died in accidents. It does make you stop and thing.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >