Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > I Want Someone Like ME- is it too much to ask?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Deceiver
Msg: 52
I Want Someone Like ME- is it too much to ask?Page 9 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
No, i don't think it's particularly wrong, though i do think you are in for a long search.
Maybe you should just get these questions out of the way first thing every date you go on.You'll probably get slapped or something, but hey, at least you are'nt 'settling'.
 beachdancer
Msg: 53
I Want Someone Like ME- is it too much to ask?
Posted: 9/24/2009 1:58:51 AM
I have to admit, I have made disparaging comments about the original post. Now, I find myslef wondering the same thing. Why can't I find someone sorta like me? Now my list may not be the same as his list or yours, I am finding that someone with similar interests, values, personality traits (the good ones, that is ) and vision of the future is like looking for a lost key dropped from a 100 foot tower in a refinery (we didn't find the key.) The op does make a point, maybe not the way you or I would make it, but to be fair (sometimes I hate that fair bone) he does raise a valid, if unanswerable question. The evidence in my life suggests it is too much to ask.
 Merrylass
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 6:48:54 AM
@beachdancer
Because humanity is a vast mass of diversity. Because we are all so different that odds are that there aren't really that many people around like us or who share enough traits that we'll click. Some people deal by dating endless numbers of 'not really a good match' types and others wait a long time to find someone.

I know. Not an encouraging answer. However, it doesn't mean it's impossible - it just means it requires patience and seeing/meeting a lot of people to get it right.
 CookieLady66
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/24/2009 9:56:11 AM
I'd probably kill my "self" if I dated someone just like me! And think how boring it would be if your SO agreed with EVERYTHING you said & did...where's the challenge?
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 56
Posted: 9/24/2009 10:07:05 AM

Fresno?? That explains it

(Geography certainly is the cruelest twist of fate that been handed my direction.)

~ OT ~ I'll be alone before I diss my personal preferences. Been there, did the whole "compromise" thing and in the end? It was still just a polite word for settling. JMO
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/24/2009 10:31:03 AM
Some might argue that one's interests and hobbies and aspirations can be a huge clue to one's being intellectually and emotionally compatible. How DO you define those, then, if not by what they DO or FEEL?
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/24/2009 12:04:34 PM
I don't think like other people do.

And didn't answer the question, either. I doubt you are all that different, really. HOW DO YOU ASSESS A PERSON, if NOT by how they act and how they feel?

===========
Huh. hobbies=acts
aspirations=feelings

YOU are the daft one.
 TodaysCatch
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2009 1:32:23 AM
This is a good old-fashioned flame fest, just 'cause someone dared to ask, "Please sir, can I have some more?" Give him a break, if he's even still on this site. The dude lives in Fresberg, where women probably get married and have kids a little earlier than in the big city. The guy wants only what he has to offer, so if he's "setting the bar high" you're actually paying him a high compliment. Cabrandon, you need to get your rear down here to Los Angeles. Keep me stocked with quality Mexican barley pop, and I'll let you have my cast-offs. Most of them are right there in your target zone or beyond, 'cause I'm a picky **stard like you, although it sounds like I get out a lot more.

First of all, you're a nerd, unless you haven't discovered the fact. Luckily, many of these women go for your type. Down here we've got yer basic actress/model/dancer/singer types, and some have graduate degrees in Theater, Film or Schmoozing. These women stay single in hopes of marrying a rich producer/director/scam artist one day, they rarely have kids, are in great shape, look dynamite, but their profession has plenty of ups and downs. Hey, five out of six ain't bad. I've got fresh numbers if you want 'em.

Going back in time, I used to be in academia. Here's where geeks such as yourself will clean up in short order. Now I don't know what your particular discipline is, but your social life here depends on it. Stay away from Communications, Theater, Film, Economics, Mathematics, and most of the hard sciences, unless you've got a gay streak. Male professors are in the majority there. Aim for the other Arts, Languages, Classics, Music, English and most of the remaining liberal arts/humanities majors. You'll find thin spinsters, er, unmarried degreed women without children galore, some with tenure, although most are average looking. Again, we're still battin' .800+ here, so give me some credit. I dated a few of these, but most had more leg hair than I do, and more than a few made Castro look conservative. Hey, you didn't mention hygiene or politics, guy. I'll direct you to their textbook signings. Even if you have zero social skills, you'll seem interesting by comparison.

Even further back, I worked for the gubment at an installation known for it's contributions to the space program. You want unmarried, in shape, no kids, average to slightly above average looks, advanced degrees and a secure profession? Back then it was Aerospace, baby. And these chicks had security clearances to boot. Today, they're about ready to retire the Space Shuttle, so it's anyone's guess if the level of funding will attract more space-babes to this job market. I can tell you that L.A. has orders of magnitude more aerospace firms than you do up there, so if they do show up, it'll be down here. I've dated my share of these female Carl Sagan-types. All I can say is "Far out." Their phone numbers may be classified now.

So don't compromise, or whine - just relocate. Luckily for you, I now sell real estate, so of course I'll be able to sell you a nice place smack dab between a few universities, movie studios and aerospace firms. We'll have you hookin' up with appropriate females in no time. Now just sign this here sales contract . . .
 beachdancer
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/13/2009 9:09:14 PM
^ Well said, a bit nomadic.
 BlueEyes1712
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2009 4:03:18 AM
Many women that have what you have enjoy it and lots stay single because without the need for a family, there is no need for her to sacrafice her independance for what? What will she get what she already doesnt have? She now has the ability to have what she wants. Kind of like having her cake and eat it too. If you look hard you can find it, but remember you will need to have something that will rock her world because you arent offering anything that she already has.
 SORRY YOUR NOT MY TYPE
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/18/2009 12:09:15 PM
WEll what do you do when asking a lady out and she says sorry your just my type and you havent met yet its like thear jugeing you with out giveing you a chance ===snow on top of fire
 SORRY YOUR NOT MY TYPE
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/18/2009 12:13:20 PM
snow on top of fire say es i long dits can be a hard thing when meeting some one 4 the first time but when she s a local or near by and you fit the pofile shes looking 4 what then
 TodaysCatch
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2009 8:02:51 PM
People have children because they ARE selfish - the selflessness comes later, but the decision to have children is all about YOU and what YOU want at that time.

All right, Wild Heart, I'll give you props for turning this around to the truth. The exception are those who adopt. I'd like to be rich enough some day to throw them all a party.

Stop comparing YOUR laundry list to the OP's, folks. He wants a very understandable and reasonable basis from which to work in a mate, and that's his choice. Personally, I look for a pulse as being my bare minimum in a date, but that's me. Let him get hooked up with his over-achieving counterpart so that their progeny can rule the world eventually - sheesh.
 spunkybum52
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/10/2009 6:06:47 PM
Hmm.... you forgot one more quality you have.... you are also UP YOURSELF. Get over yourself. You are way too picky. If a man handed me a list like that, I would hand him the door. You are shutting out the opportunity for someone to come into your life that may not have any of those qualities, and they may be the most perfect person for you. But you will have to think about someone else for a change instead of yourself, sorry. As long as you put yourself first, you are putting up a hard criteria for anyone to follow.... seems to me you wouldnt be satisfied with anyone. You have to ask yourself if you are "perfect".... and if you think the answer is yes... (then think again cause nobody is perfect)....... not sure I will say anymore here. However, I will say this, that I knew a girl who had a list of qualifications as well. She married a man that had NONE of the qualifications, and she said she never knew it could be so good with someone that was not everything on her list. They have a nice family and are very much in love. She said she had to "open her heart" for the right person to come in, and allows herself to fall in love, not find someone with a list of qualifications on a piece of paper. Hmmm....
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > I Want Someone Like ME- is it too much to ask?