Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NoQuarterGiven
Msg: 63
what do men consider overweight?Page 2 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

Men don't care about weight.
They care about shape.

Exactly. It's how a woman carries that weight that's important. If it's all in areas that are unsexy when big like arms, thighs, neck, then it doesn't look good. If it's in her hips, ass, breasts, then rock on. There are limits though. There's only so much weight each frame can handle before things start to sag, protrude, and hang over clothing. Not sexy!
 dallasdoer
Msg: 65
view profile
History
what do men consider overweight?
Posted: 5/19/2009 5:39:43 PM
I will get blasted here for the truth but it is obvious that playboy models are the prototype and everything bigger than that is just a matter of what a man will put up with. Nobody really finds fat attractive unless they are abnormal and it probably has to do with some psychic anomaly. Lucky for fatties but by definition those guys are not main stream which may be indicative of other potential deviations.
 forum101
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2009 12:05:21 AM
micheal70 """"Me, I'm overweight,''''""""
why do you classify yourself as overage??
 michaeld70
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2009 2:05:48 AM
micheal70 """"Me, I'm overweight,''''""""
why do you classify yourself as overage??

Me, I'm overweight, I got a small belly but the rest of me is solid, I dont consider myself at 5'11" and 200 pounds to be obese, although in my pic I was about 30 pounds heavier, wow, that was the biggest I've ever been.

I thought I explained myself rather well, solid with a small belly, hard to pinch more than an inch or 2 anywhere except the midsection. What should I change it to ?
I'm not thin, I think of athletic as in really good shape, average is average, few extra as chubby to "somewhat" fat, bbw as fat to obese.
 abelian
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/20/2009 2:43:56 AM

there seems to be many definitions of what people define as "overweight", and of course...there is always more scrutiny on womens weight than mens weight. just thought it would be interesting to ask the guys what they consider to be unattractive weight wise. for example, is average/curvy attractive and you draw the line at obese? or do you not prefer average weight women and think thin is most attractive?

A woman is overweight if she's more than 25% body fat.

In terms of what I find appealing, I can only go by the heights and weights of the women I've dated. Most have been between 5' 3" and 5' 5" with weight ranging from 105-115 lbs. (sizes 3-5) I would consider that average, since none would have been considered skinny.. I had one girlfriend who was 5' 9", extremely athletic and she weighed 120 (at 14% body fat, which is very low for a woman). I'd call that exceptionally athletic.
 terri368
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/20/2009 7:46:11 AM
5 ft 3 and 5 ft 5 at 105-115... that is WAY SKINNY and Im sure EVERY woman would agree with me. 5 ft 9 and 120 is a toothpick.

Im 5 ft 7 and Curvy... Im POSITIVE that I am considered Obese in most Dr's books, based on the BMI standards!!

NO ONE has ever guessed my weight.. when I do tell them they dont believe me.

I still weigh the same as I did in highschool
 abelian
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/20/2009 1:23:11 PM

5 ft 3 and 5 ft 5 at 105-115... that is WAY SKINNY and Im sure EVERY woman would agree with me. 5 ft 9 and 120 is a toothpick.

I disagree. The one who was 5' 9" was an athelete. The others were not exceptionally athletic nor skinny.

Im 5 ft 7 and Curvy... Im POSITIVE that I am considered Obese in most Dr's books, based on the BMI standards!!

The BMI tables are worthless. Those tables would indicate a very muscular person is overweight since those tables do not distinguish between fat and muscle tissue. To find out if you're overweight you need to have a bodyfat measurement done. Calipers are accurate enough for this purpose.
 Gregoman
Msg: 72
Posted: 5/20/2009 3:38:19 PM
A woman can have extra weight if she carries it well. I think we all know what FAT looks like. Any woman who wants to find love would do well to be a attractive as possible and not have fat........
 ConchordFour
Msg: 76
Posted: 5/21/2009 1:49:53 PM
To be honest it's really about how you carry it. A little extra weight here or there, a thick girl I don't consider overweight. In fact I usually prefer slightly thicker ladies. But when it impedes a person's daily life or makes them significantly unhealthy, that's when I consider a woman overweight. And I know a lot of women are insecure, but when a woman keeps complaining about herself being fat, I start believing them a little more and more, when initially I'd have thought nothing of it. So being happy with one's looks goes a long way to not seeming overweight in my eyes.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2009 2:22:58 PM
The bottom line is that each person will have a different idea on this. The bottom line for me is when I don't find her attractive when I first meet her. Aside from that, there can only be broad generalizations and indicative measures to which there are many exceptions.
 trcaccount
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/21/2009 2:29:31 PM
Hmmm....I've dated women of all shapes and sizes. I'm not considered a hard body by any means so for me to judge someone as being overweight seems somewhat unfair.

I will add that sexual prowess has nothing to do with weight and thus some of the "rounder" women I've dated have been amazing lovers and some of the hard bodies were, shall we say in need of some lessons?

I guess the bottom line is this, it all depends on how the women feels about her body...many women who some would consider overweight, I find sexy as hell because they are confident in who they are as a person.
 ççç™
Msg: 92
Posted: 5/28/2009 11:07:01 AM
My gf has a visible 4 pack. That's the sexist thing ever.
Anything over her body fat is FAT/OBESE to me....
 hophornbeam
Msg: 93
Posted: 5/28/2009 11:23:07 AM
If a woman is smart, sincere, interesting, and affectionate, and able to appreciate me as an individual, I don't focus on body shape or type (within broad limits- that I'd find a person with an eating-disorder-thin build of concern, or the opposite extreme- someone who has so much weight that it limits their activities or is likely to impair their health is of concern).

I will say that I think that mass cultures' fixation on thin-ness is really distorted, and that I find moderate abundance of feminine curves to be attractive.
 Oneitis
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 9:38:47 PM
Personally, as long as a girl looks like a girl. That's good enough for me.... As soon as you start growing extra body parts or start looking like a man, then yea, I'd be scared.....
 RLC89
Msg: 97
Posted: 5/28/2009 10:50:08 PM
Look, this is going to sound so cliche, but every man is different. You could be 5'5" and weigh 140 lbs--one guy may think you're beautiful and have a great body, and the guy next to him may think you're one of the fattest and ugliest people on earth.

You just have to be at a weight that YOU are comfortable with, and that gives YOU confidence.
 ççç™
Msg: 99
Posted: 5/29/2009 4:12:36 PM
They put "average" because all of their friends and family are overweight too, so they think that's the average . lmao
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 103
Posted: 5/30/2009 10:06:48 PM
My last love, whom I lost, was 6'1" and 260lbs. His doctor considered him "grossly" over weight, and refused to do a very needed operation till he dropped 55 of those pounds. I think no one sees truth in a mirror.

I have "a few extra" pounds down, and ma hunny spends a fair amount of time trying to convince me I don't need to lose even one. (One of the reasons I love him, BTW, lol!)

Confident-Realist
Msg: 106
Posted: 5/31/2009 10:29:30 AM
dateless356,

what happened to those men who thought Marylin Monroe was sexy and she had a tummy, hips and saggy breasts - and was like a size 16?

That's a myth. She was never a size 16 by TODAY's size, not even close. The size # changed to boost a woman's confidence about her body (marketing). Snopes.com has an article on it (about rumors). She was a size 8 by today's measurements in her early years and never really got past a size 10 in her later years.

With that said, most guys do find women with curves attractive. For instance, in Playboy, you won't find CK model types in there -- they have curves. Guys still want curves. I think twig-women have been liked a little more because society has gotten so fat and out of shape, it scares the bejesus out of men, so a gal who's too-skinny is at least most likely not going to be 30 pounds overweight in 15 years, ya know?

I think guys' opinions vary, but all in all, it's how a woman carries her weight. She can be (officially) overweight somewhat, but if she carries them out in curves, as opposed to say, a beer gut, then she's not going to be considered overweight in most guy's eyes, I don't think.

Standard American women and men are FAR away from being Mr or Ms "Hardbody". A guy who's stuffing their face with porkchops and cookie dough as a daily routine can't say "Oh, well, sorry, I'm not Mr. Olympian! Society is SOOO superficial!" without others laughing at him. Same goes for a woman in that situation.

I don't think a lady has to be on par with a model body. In fact, when women go through weight loss, it's usually well before she gets to her weight goal that she notices guys eyeing her when she walks into a room.
 cannpeters
Msg: 110
Posted: 5/31/2009 5:32:51 PM
Overweight is subjective. I have been told that I should strive to be a stick. I'm not going to be a stick. I'm very active, and a stick would have a hard time running around without having at least a protein bar in her!

With that said, I decided to sign up with a personal trainer and find out what my idea weight should be. With the amount of muscle I have on me, my trainer said I shouldn't try to get below a certain weight. My hope is to lose about 2-3 sizes, though, and get myself back in the range that I feel is very attractive and makes me feel healthy and good about myself.

My experience has been when I gain a certain amount of weight or go past a certain size, I don't get many male lookers. But I never have been skinny as an adult, and I've dated some good-looking men. I think when I was my healthiest, it showed and they were attracted. So I don't think you have to be super thin. I just think most men like women who are healthy.
 R2000
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2009 11:52:23 PM
As a lot of folks have said, it's kind of an individual thing. I have a rule of thumb that is absolutely useless except in an academic manner. My rule of thumb is that a comfortable and attractive weight for a woman is 2 times her height in inches. So, 5'10" == 140lbs. The last woman I dated was 5'10" and 145lbs and looked great. My ex-wife was 5'6" and while I found her attractive even when she was heavy after the birth of each of our kids, she naturally hovers around 130lbs which is right in the ball park.

My rule of thumb, however, is useless because the only point at which you will typically get those numbers from someone is after you know them really well, but, I digress.

I don't really think about people in terms of their weight, but, in terms of their fatness. Thus, people aren't overweight, they are overfat. So, in my opinion, a man's shirt should drape off of his chest and not hit his belly on the way down. For women, my standard is that your arms shouldn't look like stuffed sausages. I want to see a transition between your shoulders and triceps.

Just one more random person's opinionated opinion.
 wildhoneygirl
Msg: 112
Posted: 6/1/2009 12:18:28 AM
Hello All:

This is a very hard topic, but I think the most important thing to remember is that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally know that I am not where I would like to be in the weight department, but I could care less what anybody has to say about my weight. I know that I am a great individual. When I see guys being treated badly by some women who are skinny, I DO NOT feel sorry for them at all. If a person spends his/her entire life focused on weight and not the person's heart or intentions then they get what they deserve(A pretty package with nothing inside). I am a mother, I work a 40 hour week and I am a full time student pursuing my business degree. I once never had to worry about my weight and I refuse to blame my kids or anyone else for my weight gain. The main thing I look at is that I love me. If a man doesn't ... who cares. I have never been lazy a day in my life and I have worked consistently since I was 11 years old. It is too bad that some people have such hard feelings about BBW's, but that is not my problem. LOL. I have 2 very beautiful tall, slim and gorgeous sisters. Neither of them work and one of them is a chronic user(She uses her good looks to get what she wants). When ever I see a man going out with her, I laugh because he has no idea what he is in for. So to all of you out there who have a problem with someone being fat, you should really evaluate yourself and make sure that you are not insecure about something. If that person is happy and carries themselves well, who cares what other people think.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 117
Posted: 6/1/2009 1:54:38 PM
gentlemanjim,

Still I could care less what size dress she wore. ... They sure looked better then twiggy to me.

Well, the woman I was replying should. She was claiming Marilyn was a size 16 (today's), but she wasn't. She was (gasp) significantly slimmer than that.

A today's size 8 is not twiggy (Marilyn). It's not FAT either - lol. I think some women think "Oh, she was a size 16... She was plus-sized!" Actually, no she wasn't.

Comparative female pin-up-type models are slimmer (women & men in society are fatter), and many today have better bodies, as long as they're not twigs (you'll see twigs in CK; not in Playboy). It doesn't go from twig -> fat. There are many levels in between, and I don't think ANYONE is saying you have to be a twig to look good. Curvy & not-noticeably-overweight is better looking in most guys' eyes than an ironing-board shaped twig!

And SOME women could be plus-sized (14-16) and still look good. But those are statistically very uncommon, hence models for plus-sized magazines, or SOME nude models from back in the day, but most were significantly slimmer... (but not "slim" by today's standards). A woman could be in relatively good shape but her hips could be uncommonly wider, with her body's symmetry still allowing it to look good (yum). But how does that resolve s the pouting by some women who are fat? I wouldn't call the old-school pin-up models fat. They don't look like them, either, to be frank.

Plus, wouldn't women be more upset about the neck-up? Sure being overweight can infringe on it, but there's nothing you can do non-surgically (and not too much surgically) to make it better. At least with a body, you have significant control. Judging a woman by her face would leave a woman more helpless -- something a lack of twinkies and heaping spoonfuls of pot roast wouldn't be able to resolve to any large degree!
 FITDAD35
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2009 2:47:08 PM
Totally true.......but what is healthy might be different from one person to another.

I think that for men and women with your waist is large than your hips or your chest, there's a good chance your overweight. Actual weight is not important, people are different heights. just for an example 170 lbs guy 5'7 with a 30 inch waist is health, but take a 6'2 guy at 170lbs with a 38 inch waist not so healthy.
 GoofBall311
Msg: 119
Posted: 6/1/2009 4:26:43 PM
Whatever it is, you ain't it. You fine girl!! :rawr: If your belly pokes out to where, if you had a penis, you wouldn't be able to see it, you're overweight!
 feisty11981
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2009 11:34:40 PM
All in all, you are rude and inconsiderate. You have a right to your opinion but damn. You call this site a "freak show" and yet here you are a member. You would probably consider me overweight but since i don't know you your opinion does not matter to me. I just hope you don't drown in your SHALLOW pool.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >