Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > High Cholesterol ? Suggestions? Remedies?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 statemachine500
Msg: 151
High Cholesterol ? Suggestions? Remedies?Page 7 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

What about the cognitive effects both short and long term?

What about it?

The FDA issued a warning in 2012.Big pharma has pulled out the stops to discredit this.Dr.Perlmutter,author of Grain Brain is against the use of statins to lower cholesterol,citing adverse effects from lowering LDL too much apparently.

http://healthand.time.com/2012/02/29/fda-warns-statin-users-of-memory-loss-and-diabetes-risks/

@current_resident

Yes,pre diabetic,that means there is hope if the diet gets straightened out.Oh well,throw your hands in the air and just take your pills.
 Skyr
Msg: 152
view profile
History
High Cholesterol ? Suggestions? Remedies?
Posted: 11/25/2013 9:34:28 PM

The FDA issued a warning in 2012.Big pharma has pulled out the stops to discredit this.Dr.Perlmutter,author of Grain Brain is against the use of statins to lower cholesterol,citing adverse effects from lowering LDL too much apparently.

I know what they said, but do you?
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2013 2:41:36 AM
The point is what puts us in danger of heart disease is not your cholesterol number
Statins are not needed by the majority of people put on them and have no solid evidence of reducing heart attacks esp in women, and what Drs use to calculate your risks have changed and they will be prescribing more.

A statin does not repair damage of a bad diet, smoking, genetic defect, high inflammatory lifestyle or viral/ bacterial issues that can affect the heart negatively.

You can paint a rusty, dirty iron bench .It doesnt change whats under neath it and soon will be a rusty dirt iron bench again .Just keep adding paint doesnt increase the usefulness of the bench.
A statin is the "paint".

Changing your lifestyle will change most all of your risks unless a genetic abnormality and then changing lifestyle will still be beneficial.

Numbers to be concerned about are few.

High blood pressure ( can be managed by lifestyle for most)
High triglycerides (lifestyle/ diet will fix that easily)
A large waist line ( lifestyle/diet will change that) some easier than others depending on many factors and esp hard to lose if on a statin/other drugs that affect weight or have severe IR issues by many older women and men.
The waist line measurement is VERY generous.I think to generous.
Low HDL for those fat free advocates is just wrong.
How many minutes of exercise a day
How many hours you sleep

The American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology issued new cholesterol drug guidelines
( statins) that stated millions of healthy Americans should immediately begin statins for so called health “benefits.”

We didn't have a sudden *epidemic* of heart disease and the recommendations are not based on new studies showing the benefits of lower cholesterol. Its to benefit drug companies.

If some people that still care about cholesterol numbers. I again state have a fiber supplement with meals.
Eat high fiber, low glycemic foods and healthy fats.
Watch the carbs, sugars, booze, trans fats and smokes

Thinning the blood makes sense for some conditions, but not statins ( unless you are an older male with a previous heart attack) and again I think those individuals change what they eat/drink and do and it may or may not be statins that actually help them.

I think one poster already mentioned this but here it is again...........

New cholesterol treatment recommendations released by two heart organizations last week have come under fierce criticism for overestimating the number of people who should be prescribed cholesterol-lowering statins, prompting the groups to launch a review of the treatment guide.

Two heart researchers from Brigham and Women’s hospital tested a risk assessment tool a few days after it was published in the new guideline and found that it greatly overestimates the risk of developing cardiovascular disease and may result in millions of people being unnecessarily given statins to prevent heart attacks and strokes.

The risk calculator—which takes into account age, race, gender, and heart risks such as high blood pressure and cholesterol OVER CALCULATED heart risks by 75 to 150 percent when it was used to predict the 10-year-risk of having a heart attack or stroke in populations that had been followed for decades as part of research studies, according to a new analysis set to be published Tuesday in the medical journal Lancet.

After plugging data for a few hypothetical patients into the risk calculator, Dr. Paul Ridker, a Brigham cardiologist who co-authored the Lancet paper, said in an interview Monday that his “clinical intuition was that something was very wrong.”

He and his colleage, Nancy Cook, a biostatistician at the Brigham, spent a few days testing the risk calculator on participants in three large studies conducted by Brigham researchers involving more than 100,000 healthy volunteers and found that it often overestimated their heart attack and stroke risk—based on the participants who later went on to develop these cardiovascular problems.

“It is possible that as many as 40 to 50 percent of the 33 million middle-aged Americans targeted by the new guidelines for statin therapy do not actually have risk thresholds exceeding the 7.5 percent level suggested for treatment,” Ridker and Cook wrote in their commentary.

The treatment guide, issued Tuesday by the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology, urges physicians to prescribe statins for patients between ages 40 and 75 whose 10-year-risk is 7.5 percent or greater.

At an American Heart Association meeting underway in Dallas, cardiologists from the two organizations held an emergency session on Saturday night to hear from Ridker about the possible shortcomings in the risk tool. During a media briefing Monday, officials said they would review the concerns that he had raised. The New York Times was the first to report on the groups’ investigation of the alleged flaws.

Some physicians are paying attention and are concerned.
Thats at least something.
 Skyr
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2013 4:12:32 AM
The point is what puts us in danger of heart disease is not your cholesterol number

Cholesterol is one of the major 'modifiable' risk factors in heart disease. Making stuff up doesn't mean the evidence changes.

Statins are not needed by the majority of people put on them and have no solid evidence of reducing heart attacks esp in women, and what Drs use to calculate your risks have changed and they will be prescribing more.

I've already explained this to death. Low risk patients benefit a little, or not at all; high risk patients benefit a lot. The doctors in your area must be 'very' liberal prescribers if the 'majority' of people they prescribe it to do not benefit. Perhaps consider moving somewhere with a better health system?

The risk calculator—which takes into account age, race, gender, and heart risks such as high blood pressure and cholesterol OVER CALCULATED heart risks by 75 to 150 percent when it was used to predict the 10-year-risk of having a heart attack or stroke in populations that had been followed for decades as part of research studies, according to a new analysis set to be published Tuesday in the medical journal Lancet.

Risk calculators are a tool, nothing more. Whether it's the Wells score, CURB65, the CHADS2 score or whatever.... They go through many refinements and debates (and end up ever more complex). Someone disagreeing with one is nothing new, nor does it make it useless. It will be modified many times over the years, like all risk calculators.
 satx78218
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2013 6:26:07 AM
Nobody can slice and dice the fact that blaming cholesterol for CVD and drugging 100Ms for 60+ years is nothing but a BigPharma scam, coupled with BigPharma tweaking statins (and any patented drug) a tiny bit for no improvement other than to abuse patent law and extend their drug patents.

The recent new guidelines that say "don't sweat your cholesterol numbers, just take statins" opens Ms more to BigPharma's scam, including children. Statins are a big of a scam as doctors in white coats in ads selling cigarettes.
 Skyr
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2013 5:37:22 PM

The recent new guidelines that say "don't sweat your cholesterol numbers, just take statins" opens Ms more to BigPharma's scam, including children. Statins are a big of a scam as doctors in white coats in ads selling cigarettes.

I've explained this several times. There is even a diagram drawn up just for you in my previous post: 11/19/2013 11:01:44 AM

Is it still too abstract?
 statemachine500
Msg: 157
Posted: 11/26/2013 8:13:12 PM
"Cholesterol is one of the major modifiable risk factors in heart disease"

P and others have been trying to make this point to you but it appears that you can only conceive of dealing with this through administering drugs.
 Skyr
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 11/26/2013 10:56:06 PM

P and others have been trying to make this point to you but it appears that you can only conceive of dealing with this through administering drugs.

Really? Perhaps you missed my posts a few pages back, where I mention specific dietary interventions on cardiovascular risk.

In terms of drug therapy, cholesterol is a risk factor in cardiovascular disease, but statins are shown to work regardless of its effect on cholesterol.

This thread is getting absurd. I'm getting the feeling that English is not the spoken language here.

statemachine500
Msg: 159
Posted: 11/27/2013 1:44:55 AM
You mentioned a diet high in fruits and vegetables.You refuse to seriously confront the grains.The English coming from your profile indicates you want people on drugs first,ask questions later.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2013 2:28:34 AM

I've already explained this to death. Low risk patients benefit a little, or not at all; high risk patients benefit a lot. The doctors in your area must be 'very' liberal prescribers if the 'majority' of people they prescribe it to do not benefit.

You established you agree with that and I acknowledged it.
Why would you assume I was speaking to you?
This is a thread many read.People read and do not post quite a bit.
I personally try and speak to the ave person so that they can understand it.

Perhaps consider moving somewhere with a better health system?

I have good insurance and access to the best of care by family and known respected physicians that will actually spend more than the allotted 15 minutes you suggest the ave gp spends with a patient, so I dont know where you get that I have an issue with my particular health care.
I also research anything I am told that I do not fully understand.
Americans as a whole are not so fortunate I agree. Some also do not want to know any different other than taking a prescription.

This thread is getting absurd.

I agree and some of its on you as you haven't contributed any suggestions or remedies a person could try at home to address the original question naturally other than some plant food and assume every post is about or directed to you for some reason even when not quoted.

You are defensive about what you post and get snarky with others.
You jump in mainly to disagree and argue.

Did I miss your list of what someone could do for themselves to lower cholesterol if that matters to them? ( not counting plant foods)
What numbers actually count?
You bash alternatives to drugs in particular and food lifestyle changes that are complete and call nutritionist charlatans.

If I missed any positive contributions about anything natural as the title suggest as OP didn't ask what drug to take, then I apologize.
If you agreed with suggestions and posts others made then I missed that also..

What many concerned about "cholesterol" should know is cholesterol containing foods is not the enemy as the "diets" doctors still hand out say to stay away from.
Eggs and shrimp ( 2 of the most vilified healthy foods )have heart healthy benefits and the cholesterol in them is not directly going into your bloodstream or causing an arterial plaque.
^^^^^^^^^

It tells them to eat grains.

Oatmeal/cereals called heart healthy like ch33rios ( its even allowed to state it on the boxes and TV ads when its not true) and other grains is NOT what they should consume.
I've seen some bread touted as heart healthy.

If people are concerned about their arteries, then they should get an ultra sound.
Its quick and is not painful.
That gives an actual picture of whats going on inside instead of frightening them with cholesterol numbers and then giving out outdated information/diets from decades ago.
 Skyr
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2013 6:32:49 AM

Did I miss your list of what someone could do for themselves to lower cholesterol if that matters to them? ( not counting plant foods)

Yes you did.

Less saturated fat, high intake of fruit/vegetables, lose weight and exercise. Those are the lifestyle factors which affect cholesterol the most, aside from picking your parents or taking medications (which is important for cardiovascular risk, regardless of cholesterol). I didn't mention high dietary fibre and plant sterols, but that's probably how high fruit/vegetable intake affects cholesterol.

What many concerned about "cholesterol" should know is cholesterol containing foods is not the enemy as the "diets" doctors still hand out say to stay away from Eggs and shrimp ( 2 of the most vilified healthy foods )have heart healthy benefits and the cholesterol in them is not directly going into your bloodstream or causing an arterial plaque.

Most cholesterol is synthesised by the body, dietary intake of cholesterol have only a small impact. Doctors (again I wonder which ones you visit?) do not generally advise to avoid eggs and shrimp, unless you are eating excessive amounts.
 Skyr
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2013 6:37:41 AM

seriously confront the grains.

Yes I did, but it was an oversight.

Oats and other grains with soluble fibres decrease cholesterol. Eat more porridge.

Happy?

The English coming from your profile indicates you want people on drugs first,ask questions later.

- I couldn't care less whether you want to give up smoking or take a drug, I'm merely posting evidence as it is. What you do is up to you. We got onto the topic of statins because they were mentioned, and various myths and misrepresentations posted on here.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2013 1:53:14 PM

Doctors (again I wonder which ones you visit?) do not generally advise to avoid eggs and shrimp, unless you are eating excessive amounts.

You are again assuming something and attempting to be snarky. I don't go to physicians that go by lists.
Most doctors do advise against people by handing them a list of "do's and don'ts". They don't take 20 hours with someone, they don't look in their refrigerator, or tell them how to read a label and see an individual, they take 20 minutes at best and if they don't have a computer pad in their hand don't know the patients names.

You even stated a GP sees a patient every 15 minutes or so. How the hell do you treat someones problems like that? After 2 minutes of hellos thats 12 minutes.

, a GP would see one every 10-15min.

^^^^

Less saturated fat

Less than what?
We need some organic saturated fat.
Trans fats are the bad fats not saturated fat in a person who only has a high blood lipid count .

Oats and other grains with soluble fibres decrease cholesterol. Eat more porridge.

Oh geez

Grains spike your blood sugar and are modified unless you buy ones specifically that say non GMO.
A high blood sugar would spike your triglycerides which are part of your cholesterol and the most dangerous number as far as cholesterol.
People in general aren't buying non GMO or getting a whole organic grain to start with.
They go out and buy cereals or instant oats in most cases.
They would be better off without"oats and other grains" and take apple pectin or guar gum for high cholesterol
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Grains are terrible foods for heart health/blood lipids/weight loss/allergies and most cancers.

As far as missing your post suggesting a non drug remedy , I guess I did and apologies. Your *subtle attacks* to posters and postulating verbiage may have distracted me a bit.

Anyhoo, carry on.
 Skyr
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2013 7:26:59 PM

You even stated a GP sees a patient every 15 minutes or so. How the hell do you treat someones problems like that?

They're general practitioners, not general physicians. Or if you want someone with a long attention span, try a psychiatrist. What I said wasn't overly complex, and can easily be communicated in a few minutes.

Less than what? We need some organic saturated fat.

Sure, but if diet and cholesterol was a problem, they can refer to a dietician for a more prescriptive diet.

Oh geez. Grains spike your blood sugar and are modified unless you buy ones specifically that say non GMO.

Of course they do, and they have done for millions of years. That's why we evolved the ability to regulate blood glucose with insulin and glucagon, and to use it in energy metabolism.

Soluble fibre has been shown in many trials to improve your cholesterol profile.

We need carbohydrates in the diet (same as your assertion we need saturated fat), or your body goes into gluconeogenesis and ketosis. Do you want to get prescriptive about how much?

Don't even get me started on the nonsense regarding GMOs. Horizontal gene transfer occurs throughout nature, is one of the drivers of evolution, and is many many magnitudes greater than artificial gene transfer via recombinant technology. With transgenic organisms, we know exactly what protein/s we're dealing with, because that is the whole point. With traditional breeding, you're either attempting to cause random mutations with mutagens, or crossing hundreds of thousands of genes, without any idea what you end up with.

I'll go further and point out the obvious. Without GMOs, millions of people around the world would DEAD in a couple of months.

It is used throughout medicine, which is taken parenterally. As opposed to cooked, chewed up, dissolved in hydrochloric acid, further denatured and broken down by proteases, before it even reaches first pass metabolism.
 Skyr
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2013 8:10:06 PM

After 2 minutes of hellos thats 12 minutes.

I should point out, it's actually 13. And I can say "hello, how are you today?" in under 2 seconds.

If your doctor talks so much it takes 2 minutes to say hello, how on earth do they get anything done?
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2013 5:06:45 AM
As far as grains.
You can't make a good case imo for consuming the majority of them for the ave American
when you can eat veggies and fruits to get fiber and take harmless fiber supplements to get an ideal 45 grams.
Please explain anything reasonably beneficial to people not starving as to why anyone would consume them that makes sense other than needing the fuel of a work horse or again starving countries with little to no food sources when its just the fiber content you seem to suggest is helping.

Some other remedies for "high" cholesterol that would not include grains that
I would try besides apple pectin and guar gum include

Certo a fruit pectin ( in the canning isle) Some mix with a bit of watered down juice.
Psyllium ( like in Metam^cil)
Vitamin E and C together
Supplementation with at least 500 mg/d of vitamin C, for a minimum of 4 weeks, can result in a significant decrease in serum LDL cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations.
Vitamin C can reduce total serum cholesterol.
Vitamin E has been shown to prevent clogging and hardening of arteries by inhibiting oxidation of LDL or so called "bad" cholesterol.
Lecithin granules
Shitake mushrooms
A compound in shiitake called eritadenine ( excuse my spelling) has the ability to lower cholesterol.

I should point out, it's actually 13. And I can say "hello, how are you today?" in under 2 seconds.

If your doctor talks so much it takes 2 minutes to say hello, how on earth do they get anything done?

Oh for Peters sake
Again not my doctors.
I didn't mean 2 plus 12 equals 15 and you know it.The 2 key is beside the 3 key. Called a typo.

But lets do direct people off the topic here YET again.
 allthegoodnamesrtaken1
Msg: 167
Posted: 11/28/2013 7:13:52 AM
We need carbohydrates in the diet (same as your assertion we need saturated fat), or your body goes into gluconeogenesis and ketosis

An essential nutrient is a nutrient required for normal body functioning that can not be synthesized by the body.
Essential nutrients that sustain human life -- Essential fatty acids, Essential amino acids, dietary minerals, dietary vitamins and water.

The human body does not need carbohydrates to sustain life. The Inuits of the Arctic ( before the introduction of the western diet) is a testament to this. If your statement was true, they would have ceased to exist.

Gluconeogenesis is a normal, physiologic process. Ketosis is also a normal, physiologic process. One of the world's foremost authorities on the topic - Peter Attia M.D. http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/ketosis-advantaged-or-misunderstood-state-part-i

Reading the above links information and doctors background would be appreciated
 Skyr
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2013 10:23:56 AM

The human body does not need carbohydrates to sustain life. The Inuits of the Arctic ( before the introduction of the western diet) is a testament to this. If your statement was true, they would have ceased to exist.

Gluconeogenesis and ketosis is a starvation response when there is not enough carbohydrate in the diet.

Your brain can only run on glucose or ketones. It prefers glucose. Gluconeogenesis is inefficient and wastes energy, and hence is only a backup option.

Having a substitute does not mean it is the preferred substrate.
 Skyr
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2013 10:29:10 AM

As far as grains.
You can't make a good case imo for consuming the majority of them for the ave American
when you can eat veggies and fruits to get fiber and take harmless fiber supplements to get an ideal 45 grams.
Please explain anything reasonably beneficial to people not starving as to why anyone would consume them that makes sense other than needing the fuel of a work horse or again starving countries with little to no food sources when its just the fiber content you seem to suggest is helping.

You could eat nothing but vegetables and fruit for your carbohydrate needs. It'll probably be good for you, but I doubt it's for the 'average' anything. Most the world relies on grains for energy because it is less resource intensive to produce than fruit and vegetables, and protein.

My response was on how to lower cholesterol with diet. Oats and other grains containing soluble fibres have shown to improve cholesterol profile. Stop trying get on some hobby horse.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2013 12:32:55 PM
Our brain, heart and body will run better on fat and protein, needing very little carbohydrates especially when being adapted to it.

We don't need grains or starches to be healthy.
Glucose is NOT the preferred fuel, its just what most peoples bodys are used to.
I would however recommend some carbs in the form of fruit or beans before a hard work out or a long work day if not sitting.

I prefer a high water/ fiber/pectin content fruit such as the apple.
Anyhoo
We require very little glucose which can be made by the liver.

You will starve/die from no fat or protein long before you will starve from to little glucose from food.

Lest I forget
Beans are another high fiber food that will lower Chol numbers.
Black beans are a good choice as are navy, kidney ect
Black soy beans
Black adzuki beans are high in fiber and protein.
While they seem high in carbs, they wont cause the insulin spike grains do.
Adding flax oil/ground seeds to them after cooking is a great Cholesterol lowering non animal protein meal if thats a persons preferred way of eating.

Can't forget the vegetarians and vegans that have high cholesterol numbers and can't figure out why.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One guess and it's not fat consumption.
 statemachine500
Msg: 171
Posted: 11/28/2013 3:30:34 PM

Gluconeogenesis is a normal, physiologic process. Ketosis is also a normal, physiologic process. One of the world's foremost authorities on the topic - Peter Attia M.D. http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/ketosis-advantaged-or-misunderstood-state-part-i

Cool site.He is quite sophisticated,I think many people can learn from this guy.
 rosewood_girl
Msg: 172
Posted: 11/28/2013 9:46:06 PM
Fish (omega 3) and veggies, chicken if its grilled. Stay away from red meats and salty things. You can google different herbs and supplements to help, but if your doctor wants you to be on medication, then do it.
 Skyr
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2013 2:21:25 AM

Our brain, heart and body will run better on fat and protein, needing very little carbohydrates especially when being adapted to it.

That's just plain nonsense.

How are they supposed to cross the blood brain barrier? Why do you think hypoglycaemia causes seizures? If I gave you a 100u of insulin (assuming you're not insulin resistant), you'll have a seizure, no matter how much fat and protein you've just eaten.

The brain is adapted to run on glucose, and in the absence of glucose, mostly ketones. You have to generate ketones and glucose with a very metabolically inefficient process if you eliminate carbohydrates from your diet.

If no carb diets are 'healthier', it goes against longevity associated with the traditional Okinawan diets, which has a high proportion of energy from carbohydrates (*gasp* could rice possibly be a type of unhealthy GRAIN?). How many Atkins or other low carb diets are correlated with longevity and decreased morbidity?

Can't forget the vegetarians and vegans that have high cholesterol numbers and can't figure out why.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One guess and it's not fat consumption

It's called genetics.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2013 3:35:20 AM

If no carb diets are 'healthier', it goes against longevity associated with the traditional Okinawan diets, which has a high proportion of energy from carbohydrates (*gasp* could rice possibly be a type of unhealthy GRAIN?). How many Atkins or other low carb diets are correlated with longevity and decreased morbidity?

^^^^^^^
I didn't say people should not eat ANY carbs or ALL carbs are "unhealthy".Esp for active people.

I did say grains are not the ideal and are not good for the "typical American " some beans , lots of veggies and high fiber/water fruits are much better.Those are carbs.

It's called genetics.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree genetics is what affects our LDL number the most and if you starve your body of fat the liver will make even more to protect itself.
Genetics aren't the main cause in whats causing the majority of "really high tryglyceride numbers" . Sugars and starches are.
If you have elevated triglycerides, I personally suggest no sugary foods, refined carbohydrates,grains,sugary drinks,juices and anything made with grains esp breads, pasta, crackers, also potatoes and chips Simple carbs cause a sudden rise in insulin, which may lead to spike triglycerides.
Complex carbs need to be watched/limited by many also, esp root veggies.

Triglycerides can also become elevated from having diabetes/other health problems, which is often caused by being overweight from grains and sugars to begin with. As with most other heart issues, being overweight and inactive in itself also can affect triglycerides. Some people have a genetic predisposition that causes them to manufacture to much triglycerides on their own, but most see a reduction if they change lifestyle

HDL is food related also.

I've never said ONE plan works for everyone as we are different genetically, some health issues, age, sex, hormonal issues, lifestyle.

Eliminating grains would (IMO) only affect negatively those NOT needing a lot of * sugar* to function.
Haven't run into many that work in the fields 8 hours lately or have to hunt buffalo and walk miles for water.
Farmers in the old days that did much by hand and a mule plow, yes.
We feed grains to live stock for a reason, to fatten them up.
We won't agree on this, but I think people should try food changes first and then check blood work/see how they feel to see what works for them.
 allthegoodnamesrtaken1
Msg: 175
Posted: 12/2/2013 3:30:43 PM
We need carbohydrates in the diet (same as your assertion we need saturated fat), or your body goes into gluconeogenesis and ketosis

This reads that doing X will result in Y. Y has a negative connotation to it, this is inaccurate and should be clarified for those who are reading this forum searching for answers. There is nothing abnormal or harmful about Gluconeogenesis. There is nothing harmful or abnormal when in a state of nutritional Ketosis.

Your brain can only run on glucose or ketones

Correct

It prefers glucose

No, it doesn't

Gluconeogenesis is inefficient and wastes energy, and hence is only a backup option

Incorrect

Our brain, heart and body will run better on fat and protein, needing very little carbohydrates especially when being adapted to it

Peppermint is correct

Glucose is NOT the preferred fuel, its just what most peoples bodys are used to

Peppermint is correct

That's just plain nonsense. How are they supposed to cross the blood brain barrier?

Ouch.

Earlier in my career I would have made the same mistakes. Some of your responses throughout this thread have shown your science to be wholly outdated. It's too bad the link offered in #182 wasn't read and understood.
The man is an expert on the topic, I would take the time to familiarize yourself with its content.

There will be a quiz later :-)

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > High Cholesterol ? Suggestions? Remedies?