Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > High Cholesterol ? Suggestions? Remedies?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Siennarh
Msg: 201
High Cholesterol ? Suggestions? Remedies?Page 9 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Exercise also reduces cholesterol, might add
 satx78218
Msg: 202
view profile
History
High Cholesterol ? Suggestions? Remedies?
Posted: 6/15/2015 2:43:55 AM
Australian Broadcasting Corp TV's science program impacts use of statins among Australians

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20150615/ABC-TVs-science-program-impacts-use-of-statins-among-Australians.aspx
 Skyr
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2015 5:12:07 AM

Skyr's full of crap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XykVFMd7S-c

The sad thing is that most uneducated lay persons do not recognise pop quackery when they see it.
 Skyr
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2015 5:32:34 AM

Australian Broadcasting Corp TV's science program impacts use of statins among Australians

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20150615/ABC-TVs-science-program-impacts-use-of-statins-among-Australians.aspx

Did you actually read that article?

It highlighted the problems with the Catalyst programme (which presumably you haven't watched either). It basically said low risk patients get small benefit from statins, high risk patients large benefit from statins. Not particularly contentious, except they glossed over the second part.
 satx78218
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2015 10:57:23 AM
Skyr glosses over the negative effects of statins.

The industry recommendation is statins for everybody all the time all ages.

High risk people popping pills is vastly inferior to a healthy diet and moderate exercise, but BigPharma absolutely is against NOT taking statins, and prescribing doctors are brainwashed, and paid, to prescribe statins.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 206
Posted: 6/16/2015 11:21:39 AM

High risk people popping pills is vastly inferior to a healthy diet and moderate exercise, but BigPharma absolutely is against NOT taking statins, and prescribing doctors are brainwashed, and paid, to prescribe statins.

Well, to be honest, you tend to gloss over the benefits of statins to many people. So I am not sure who is more brainwashed, you or doctors. Maybe it's a good thing, this brainwashing. I am sure there must be a brain cleanse product / procedure out there in holistic wonderland.

Heck, maybe washing your brain will help prevent dementia?
 Skyr
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2015 2:52:23 PM

Well, to be honest, you tend to gloss over the benefits of statins to many people. So I am not sure who is more brainwashed, you or doctors. Maybe it's a good thing, this brainwashing. I am sure there must be a brain cleanse product / procedure out there in holistic wonderland.

Heck, maybe washing your brain will help prevent dementia?

Doctors are perfectly aware of side effects of statins. Except most aren't as common or significant as the crackpots make it out to be.

Like anything, you weigh the risk/benefit. You have much higher numbers needed to treat for low risk patients. Most recommendations are based on a 5yr risk of >20%. For 10-20%, it's really dependent on the patient. <10% risk is generally managed with lifestyle/dietary measures.
 Skyr
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2015 2:54:49 PM

High risk people popping pills is vastly inferior to a healthy diet and moderate exercise, but BigPharma absolutely is against NOT taking statins, and prescribing doctors are brainwashed, and paid, to prescribe statins

If you can think in less concrete terms, they are not mutually exclusive.

In secondary prevention, it is unlikely you will get a 25% risk reduction from just diet and excercise alone, particularly if the patient already has a healthy lifestyle.
 satx78218
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2015 11:32:02 AM
The pro-statins scam is based on the cholesterol propaganda, which was initiated by single BAD study in the 1950s.

So drop the cholesterol crap, and the statins argument is moot.
 Skyr
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2015 3:18:04 AM

The pro-statins scam is based on the cholesterol propaganda, which was initiated by single BAD study in the 1950s.

So drop the cholesterol crap, and the statins argument is moot.

Incorrect, for two reasons, which I've explained previously.

The mechanism of action is irrelevant- statins have shown good efficacy particularly in secondary prevention. It doesn't matter if it lowers cholesterol- that is not the therapeutic endpoint. It's not a difficult concept.

Second- the best evidence is that dyslipidaemia IS associated with cardiovascular disease, and that is from long term cohort studies, not any single study from the 1950s.
 satx78218
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2015 7:47:50 AM
Not being a BigPharma professional shill, but reading a lot, I say eating low-carb, plant-dominated, anti-inflammatory diet, and moderately exercising would keep triglycerides and systemic inflammation low, and ignore BigPharma and cholesterol.
 Skyr
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2015 2:32:07 AM

Not being a BigPharma professional shill, but reading a lot, I say eating low-carb, plant-dominated, anti-inflammatory diet, and moderately exercising would keep triglycerides and systemic inflammation low, and ignore BigPharma and cholesterol.

As I pointed out to another poster, using the shill gambit as your primary argument is pretty weak.

On a positive note, I wasn't expecting intellectual engagement, so I'm not disappointed.
 mitchozie
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2015 5:37:29 AM
Skyr isn't a shill, he just believes that authorities know better than what common sense and experience would dictate.
 Skyr
Msg: 214
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2015 2:24:47 PM

Skyr isn't a shill, he just believes that authorities know better than what common sense and experience would dictate.

And where does personal anecdote sit on the scale of evidence?

You claim to be a man of science....so tell us ;)
 mitchozie
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2015 4:53:09 AM
I claim to be a human being who has managed to live to be 75 years old. Over the course of those years, I have seen many scientific truths be disproven. I have seen so-called experts, who have been proven to be liars, and charlatans. I have made it to old age by trusting my own experiences, and ignoring "experts". If you feel that you have some knowledge that contributes to this discourse, then feel free to share it. However, when you come across as a smartass, know it all, then you defeat your purpose of influencing others.
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 216
Posted: 8/19/2015 5:52:07 AM

I claim to be a human being who has managed to live to be 75 years old.

Which for the most is because of what you were born with and not what you have or have not done.

As anyone who claims to have any understanding of science would attest to.

Over the course of those years, I have seen many scientific truths be disproven.

Probably because that is the root of science.

Always looking for an answer, meaning that along the way you will find new evidence that may disprove what you thought to be right at one point in time.

As without that, you basically have religion.

I have seen so-called experts, who have been proven to be liars, and charlatans.

Please name 3, so people can get a reference as to who you are claiming was know as a "so-called expert"

I have made it to old age by trusting my own experiences, and ignoring "experts".

Nope, we already covered this, you are as old as you are because of what you were born with.

If you feel that you have some knowledge that contributes to this discourse, then feel free to share it. However, when you come across as a smartass, know it all, then you defeat your purpose of influencing others.

Well I really hope you can back up what you have claimed, otherwise someone is going to look rather hypocritical.
 BialaPolska
Msg: 217
Posted: 8/19/2015 6:17:40 AM
HFX has such a on line personality that becomes so obstinate that one automatically is defensive. I don't think he is successful with women ; maybe he is not even here for that. Whatever the case he could be giving away money but his manner is so ditasteful that he becomes repellant.
 mitchozie
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2015 9:01:37 PM
To HFX, my posting was directed to Skyr, but if the shoe fits you're welcome to wear it.
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 219
Posted: 8/19/2015 9:15:20 PM

To HFX, my posting was directed to Skyr, but if the shoe fits you're welcome to wear it.

Well, If you feel that you have some knowledge that contributes to this discourse, then feel free to share it. However, when you come across as a smartass and start trying to insult people who are just asking you to back up your claims as this is an open forum, you then defeat your purpose of influencing others and come off looking like a hypocrite.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2015 3:22:39 AM

Which for the most is because of what you were born with and not what you have or have not done.

You cannot possibly know that as fact and you are more likely wrong than right
We overcome most ills by lifestyle, genetic predisposition or not.

As anyone who claims to have any understanding of science would attest to.

YOU name 3 people that knows HIS medical/family history that can state that as fact( that doesnt just parrot some old disproved statements/studies financed by big pharma..

you come across as a smar ass

Seriously???We all have come across as a smartass at some point.
You & me included.
 Skyr
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2015 4:20:28 AM

You cannot possibly know that as fact and you are more likely wrong than right
We overcome most ills by lifestyle, genetic predisposition or not.

That would depend on the 'ill', and the penetrance of the gene/s involved wouldn't it?

The ultimate genetic predisposition with complete penetrance is aging. Lifestyle may affect this to a small degree, but you're not going to get out it alive.

YOU name 3 people that knows HIS medical/family history that can state that as fact( that doesnt just parrot some old disproved statements/studies financed by big pharma..

What is being 'disproved' here? Being 75 in itself means nothing.
 mitchozie
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2015 2:14:34 PM
HFX-RGB2 and Skyr make a cute couple. LOL.
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 223
Posted: 8/20/2015 6:02:14 PM

FYI: when you come across as a smartass, know it all, then you defeat your purpose of influencing others.
 BialaPolska
Msg: 224
Posted: 8/20/2015 6:20:14 PM
^ Yeah , that's my point. Personally , IMHO , you are either a troll , POF employee , or were really picked on in jr. high.

Oh , ah , plant sterols , garlic. Sadly I was reading an article stating that 420 users tend to have slightly higher LDL.
 Skyr
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2015 8:41:10 PM

Puerile quips like these are the domain of 5 yr olds, not the elderly if their faculties are intact.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > High Cholesterol ? Suggestions? Remedies?