Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > "Reality" -- What is it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aremeself
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
like dukky would say, we have to define reality first.

I don't think anyone on earth has reality figured out, really.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 27
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/9/2009 1:12:09 AM
We create our own reality.
 Island home
Msg: 28
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/9/2009 2:34:25 AM
We create our own reality.

Was it me or was it you that created those few words on the screen along with you picture?

Edit: lol reality is it appears we cant be on the same page
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/10/2009 1:26:45 AM
Interesting choice of subject here, OP. IT is a perfect example of why it's great to be human. Simply because we have the ability to wonder how we have the ability to perceive what may or may not be there.... that's pretty frickin' awesome. The nature of reality is one of those things that you can't really articulate for one major reason. We exist within this reality, and thus any attempt to objectively analyze it is impossible. Our only chances are to determine the laws of physics within this universe and hopefully (in my mind) eventually come to an understanding of a multiverse theory, even if we can't possibly explore those places. We could only hope to see how they may influence our own universe.

But that's my two cents.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/10/2009 1:37:38 PM
Appreciative, I entirely agree with your thoughts here. I hope it didn't sound like I was referring to multiverse theory as a 'loophole' to understanding reality. I think it would give us a much better understanding of cosmology and it may even help to figure out a theory for gravity, but we wouldn't be able to say what reality is any better.
I think that this question is best answered in a biology perspective. Our brains are capable of self-awareness and thinking about thinking, so that's the real question to answer. How do humans have such an elaborate understanding of reality?
 aremeself
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/10/2009 5:20:55 PM
I guess we won't understand reality, until we understand quantum and beyond.

and some more about the universe, and maybe beyond.
 acuddler
Msg: 32
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/11/2009 2:26:55 AM
Our reality is God's illusion...a nightmare God is having after having stayed up way too late, and eaten too many poodle pies smothered in Saturn Sauce, and washed it all down with bandaloonian brandy in the 12th Dimension. When The Old Boy Upchucks, our universe ends.
 Island home
Msg: 33
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/11/2009 3:52:24 AM
omg I had always thought the answer would have been more cerebral rather than intestinal. Am now wondering which end of the intestine we will exit
 scorpiomover
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/12/2009 7:28:06 PM

Imagine a laboratory in another part of the universe (or maybe even in a totally different universe) in which the technological state of the art is millions of years ahead of Earth's. On a workbench in this laboratory is a living brain with all kinds of wires, tubes, computers, and other such stuff connected to it. Sensors mounted on the brain intercept signals being sent out, such as, "wiggle the index finger on my right hand." These signals are immediately directed to an ultrasuper computer, which instantaneously generates an ultra high-resolution image of a wiggling finger on a hand. This image is then reformatted into appropriate optic nerve pulses, which are then sent directly into the brain through the optic nerve. What's the result? From the point of view of "the person inside the brain" it appears that he is actually watching himself wiggle "his finger."
It's ironic you should write this. I watched a programme a few weeks ago, called "Horizon: The Secret You", with Marcus Du Sautoy, the guy who took over the Charles Simonyi Professorship for the Public Understanding of Science from Richard Dawkins. He went to meet Dr Henrik Ehrsson at the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden, where he experiments with VR and how it affects perception. One of the experiments was to put a set of twin cameras on Dr Ehrsson, and a set of VR goggles on Marcus Du Sautoy, that showed Marcus exactly what Dr Ehrsson saw. Then Dr Ehrsson shook Prof Du Sautoy's hand, and he felt as if it was his hand, even though it didn't look like it at all. Then an assistant drew a knife across Dr Ehrsson's wrist, just above, so that it didn't do any damage. Prof Du Sautoy instantly felt as if his hand was cut. His perception was as if the images that he got through his goggles were happening to him, even though he knew they weren't.

What was really weird, was that as I watched it on TV, I got the same reaction. I suddenly felt like someone was cutting my wrist with a knife. Really freaky.

I think that means that if this was really happening, that your body was controlled by remote from a brain somewhere else, we would see it as the same, even if we KNEW that our brain was in another place. The brain processes the data in the same way.

I know this goes against all common sense. But it's really what science has found happens. I suggest you watch the video. Well worth watching, and has a lot more cool things about the conscious self that science has found out.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nhv56
 desertrhino
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/13/2009 11:56:25 AM
I know it's tough to keep your CT "shtuff" straight, but all the "CIA mind control" CT was low-frequency radio waves, usually in the microwave range.

:)
 aremeself
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/13/2009 12:20:38 PM
so, now she just comes back with a new profile?
 lateā„¢
Msg: 37
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/13/2009 12:31:39 PM
A reality

Ignore trolls, don't feed them - it's just more mess to clean up.

The reality is, this type of nuisance is fleeting, as is their reality
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/13/2009 7:23:41 PM
I'm among the group that thinks that it doesn't MATTER what the nature of reality is, relative to what I have to do from moment to moment as a living being. Now, if I happen upon a situation where I suspect that a computer is controlling my existence, I will respond as I always do in such situations: demand that someone call in the programmers, to write a patch.
I live on what I call a contingency basis: kind of like the old saying "I think therefore I am?" Only I modify it to read "I think, therefore I MAY AS WELL BE." Don't get me wrong, I've spent a HUGE amount of time and energy on such considerations, and I do believe they are worthy exercises for people to pursue up to a point, but I have reached that point myself.
It is not possible to use logic to prove or disprove anything that is by definition magical and/illogical (such as the existence of Santa Claus). Apologies to all who feel they can prove anything about Santa or God, but logic does not apply to non-logical things. All APPARENT proofs rely on unprovable assumptions.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 39
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/13/2009 7:42:10 PM
That's why it's called FAITH. It's the illogical approach to life.
It's believing MIRACLES really are possible.
 JustDukky
Msg: 40
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/13/2009 8:03:23 PM
Belief in miracles is not as important as trying to perform them yourself, so you should have enough faith in yourself to at least try.
Miracles don't just happen...
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/13/2009 11:26:41 PM
I don't know about the mind control stuff mentioned... I think the HAARP program is especially open and talkative about their research, so it seems unlikely that it'd be weapon-related. After all, American black ops are usually kept very tightly sealed, such as the F-117. People didn't even see that until years after it was built.
Anyway, about reality. Philip K****said it well:
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
 aremeself
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/14/2009 8:40:39 PM
a miracle defies the rules of physics AS WE KNOW THEM.

are there other dimensions including this one, with there own sets of rules?

does anyone know? an absolute?
 BowdenK
Msg: 43
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/15/2009 10:06:20 AM
Mister Logic,

I believe that reality is a construct. Perception is reality, and it becomes complex in humanity because of the many filters used to process "perception." We percieve, they percieve, it percieves, I percieve, he percieves, she percieves... and on and on. One's reality shares constants with another's reality: "I have skin. We have skin. I breathe. We breathe." And it also has differences: "I am sad. She is happy. I am hungry. She is full." And then there are perception variables: "I am ugly. He is handsome. I am smart. She is ignorant. I am fortunate. They are unfortunate." Reality, whatever it is to you or anyone else, is constructed.

I study reality from the perspective of social realities: norms, stigmas, social behaviors, culture, religion, etc. A psychologist studies personal realities: perspective, fear, anger, logic, emotion, etc.

The definition of reality is simply what is real. What is real to you? What is real in the society to which you belong? What is real from conceptual perspectives? And so, whatever you believe to be real is just that... until it isn't.
 desertrhino
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/15/2009 10:19:50 AM
Again, reality is that which does not go away if you stop believing in it.

Step off a cliff (without arcane gear of some sort) and disbelieve gravity, the ground, your own physical form, or whatever you wish. You're still going to make a hell of a splat at the bottom. That's reality, "matrix life" or not.
 BowdenK
Msg: 45
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/15/2009 11:20:28 AM
Rhino. Haha. Those are terms of reality that I like to stick to. The social reality is much more complex, though. A cult once drank poisoned kool-aid because a comet was in the sky. The clear and simple reality is that they were all idiots, but is that the reality that led them to their deaths? If so, would they have done it? Reality is whatever is real to a person or group of people and however simple the plain realities, the concept itself is a very powerful and influential one.

Realities create reality. 18-19th Century: Blacks were scientifically proven to be inferior by doctors and early anthropology/sociology, which was clearly a reality based on false findings, but the findings were very real at the time and constructed a reality none-the-less. This created the reality of slavery, shifted demographics of a global population, and erased the history of many nations. The reality was the technologies, cultures, and societies were different, and perception made it a case of superiority/inferiority.

3-4th Century: Constantine I creates a chain of events that shape the realities of many nations to present day and on. This is not real to me, but it is a constructred reality that has created personal and social realities. It still shapes our reality today and so is very real, because what can effect the real, but what is real?

Until the world was round, it was flat. Every idea, every thought, and every concept was limited by the very real knowledge that the world was flat. Ignorance can create reality just as sure and powerful as knowledge. So the problem is how do we know that which we do not know?

Reality as a concept is a very powerful tool and the construction of it, I believe, will be the ultimate variable to decide human fate.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 46
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/15/2009 11:40:54 AM
From Thales to Democritus - to the Sophists and Socrates...
Did not their interpretations of reality change them?
Did not the very definition change over the centuries?
Will it not continue to change?
What has not changed? FAITH.
 BowdenK
Msg: 47
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/16/2009 1:32:09 PM
I'm sad... no more reality talk? This is like my life work and here I come trompsing in two paragraphs too late.

So, here's some food for thought.

One of the countless definitions of reality, according the Random House Dictionary is "something that exists independently of all other things and from which all other things derive."

Philosophical views into reality usually take a spiraling journey into endless semantics and a mind boggling sojourn into the realm of letter filled words that start to eventually lose their original meanings in the retranslations.

If we "discover" new ideas, then it is reality from which the discoveries derive. "The lake has clearly always been here, but only yesterday was it discovered."

So, an interesting postulation is whether Reality is infinite. If there is a god and he is infinite or an afterlife that is infinite, and reality is the undiscovered source of all there is and must also therefore be infinite, then that means every concept is possible.

Within infinity there can be no limitation, only undiscovered potential.

The human mind is finite, at least in physical mass and energy.

I concieve there is a god... but I also concieve that there is no god. The human mind is finite and therefore cannot exceed the bounds of infinity. In conclusion, both statements are true.

Figure that one out.

My conclusion is that reality is not infinite, there is no afterlife, and there is no god. There are loopholes in the concept that I've been through again and again and plenty I'm sure I haven't caught, yet. Just curious if anyone finds interest in it.
 aremeself
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/16/2009 1:56:42 PM
Is reality only what is observable and comprehensible?

so then, what if observation and comprehension change with new information?
Now, reality changes, so, it WASN'T reality after all.

only if the 'new' information is 'proven' to be real.

I am not talking about obvious stuff, whatever that is.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 49
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/16/2009 3:52:11 PM
Post #92- I'll have to agree with you.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/16/2009 9:30:44 PM
Information is constantly being learned and developed on. Since that's the case, our reality has changed. As an example, the reality is that Pluto is a dwarf planet. Twenty years ago, that wasn't the reality. The OBJECTIVE reality of Pluto being there never changes, but our perception of it does. So our SUBJECTIVE reality is constantly changing.
I guess the question is, what flavor of reality do we refer to here?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > "Reality" -- What is it?