Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > "Reality" -- What is it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BowdenK
Msg: 47
Reality -- What is it?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I'm sad... no more reality talk? This is like my life work and here I come trompsing in two paragraphs too late.

So, here's some food for thought.

One of the countless definitions of reality, according the Random House Dictionary is "something that exists independently of all other things and from which all other things derive."

Philosophical views into reality usually take a spiraling journey into endless semantics and a mind boggling sojourn into the realm of letter filled words that start to eventually lose their original meanings in the retranslations.

If we "discover" new ideas, then it is reality from which the discoveries derive. "The lake has clearly always been here, but only yesterday was it discovered."

So, an interesting postulation is whether Reality is infinite. If there is a god and he is infinite or an afterlife that is infinite, and reality is the undiscovered source of all there is and must also therefore be infinite, then that means every concept is possible.

Within infinity there can be no limitation, only undiscovered potential.

The human mind is finite, at least in physical mass and energy.

I concieve there is a god... but I also concieve that there is no god. The human mind is finite and therefore cannot exceed the bounds of infinity. In conclusion, both statements are true.

Figure that one out.

My conclusion is that reality is not infinite, there is no afterlife, and there is no god. There are loopholes in the concept that I've been through again and again and plenty I'm sure I haven't caught, yet. Just curious if anyone finds interest in it.
 aremeself
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/16/2009 1:56:42 PM
Is reality only what is observable and comprehensible?

so then, what if observation and comprehension change with new information?
Now, reality changes, so, it WASN'T reality after all.

only if the 'new' information is 'proven' to be real.

I am not talking about obvious stuff, whatever that is.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 49
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/16/2009 3:52:11 PM
Post #92- I'll have to agree with you.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/16/2009 9:30:44 PM
Information is constantly being learned and developed on. Since that's the case, our reality has changed. As an example, the reality is that Pluto is a dwarf planet. Twenty years ago, that wasn't the reality. The OBJECTIVE reality of Pluto being there never changes, but our perception of it does. So our SUBJECTIVE reality is constantly changing.
I guess the question is, what flavor of reality do we refer to here?
 desertrhino
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/17/2009 4:09:29 AM
What we CALL Pluto has nothing to do with the REALITY of Pluto. Its orbit, mass, appearance, etc... changed not one iota because someone decided to change its label from planet to dwarf planet. Why are we using this as an argument for the changing nature of reality again? Has someone confused labels for things?
 BowdenK
Msg: 52
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/17/2009 7:38:07 AM
Labels are a big part of reality. For something to effect something that is real, it is in some form real in itself, else it would have no effect.

To say that someone is stupid is not a reality in itself, but should it effect reality, what can it be but real? For something to cause change to something that exists, it too must exist. The person is not stupid, but the concept of his stupidity (the label) is very real. It is not reality as far as numbers and equations go, but in its ability to change reality it fits the very definition of reality. It is real, not because it is true, but because it is real.

Lies and falsehoods are just as much reality, by definition, as "truth."

Naturally, this is not a conclusive statement, just observation and discussion.

rockondon
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/22/2009 7:55:14 PM

"Reality" -- What is it?

its that annoying stuff that after you stop believing in it, it doesn't go away.
 aremeself
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/22/2009 11:49:46 PM
we are very selfish.

so, how is that going to work out?
 Strings6
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/25/2009 4:34:59 AM
Reality is the thing that people living in comfortable Western societies take time to ponder the meaning of....he rest of the world just lives with it.
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/25/2009 4:48:08 AM
"The world is all that is the case"

Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico Philosophicus.

......................................................................................................................................
 528lovefrequency
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/27/2009 5:08:51 PM
We are all creators of our own reality. Perception and perspective is two factors that help determines one's reality. There is one reality that we all hold in common and that is consciousness. Everyday, we go out in the world and are exposed to thousand of words, images, and symbols without noticing everything on a conscious level. We are bombarded with subliminal messages that are registered in our subconscious and affects us emotionally, physically, and on many other levels. There are elite architects above us that create scenarios and situations that eventually evolves to what a lot of us perceive as our reality.

There is reality and then sub-reality. The majority of the population have different sub-realities but we all hold the same reality. However, the elite architects and a few others understand the origins and the agenda behind the reality we are experiencing.

Kallen
nutritionist/ master herbalist/ philosopher
 ryanrucker
Msg: 58
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/29/2009 9:50:30 AM
^^^^^
if ' we are all creators of our own reality'....than who are these 'elite architects above...'
 528lovefrequency
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/30/2009 9:40:02 AM
Good question....However, to answer it briefly, Rothschilds & Rockfellers, Kissinger, Brzezinski; their own books and documents can explain it infinite detail. There are tons of books to read on this. However, here is a few to check out: David Icke (Tales from the Time Loop, I am Me I am Free), Zbigniew Brzezinski (Between Two Ages), Alan Watt (cuttingthroughthematrix.com).

If you are in the know of their plan, then you are absolutely the creator of your own reality.

If you are ignorant and believe that you have no control of anything, then they are the creators of your own reality. The reality the ignorant believes they are controlling is the sub-reality (which is still lies under the reality umbrella that the architects control).

I hope this clear things up for you.

Kallen
nutritionist/master herbalist/ philosopher
 BowdenK
Msg: 60
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/31/2009 7:09:19 AM
lovefrequency,

Your views include the power elites. Behavioral studies say that depending on the society 5-7% of a society needs to believe a thing before it is accepted by the rest of society. Do you believe the power elites constitute this small percentage or do they stand apart as a guiding influence, shaping the reality construct through a small percentage of alpha personalities?

Also, do you believe that the power elites are in plain sight, out of sight, or hiding in plain sight?

I don't really have any solid views on the power elites, but feel that most of their power comes from an advanced understanding of social reciprocation that causes an imbalance in the type of resources they recieve in exchange. I feel that reciprocation is always present and that everything involves exchange. In humanity, that exchange can sometimes be illusory. i.e., The king says "you kill that man and you gain my favor." The king's favor is an illusory exchange that creates balanced reciprocation. I feel that understanding this process is vital to creating the potential for true balance in society. The weakness is in human categorization.
 ryanrucker
Msg: 61
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/31/2009 8:21:35 AM
Hreps,
i don't 'know' what reality 'is', but if you write a book, i will buy two copies,
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 62
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/31/2009 9:46:05 AM
My conclusion:

There's some really smart people on these science / philosophy forums.
That is MY most current reality...
 ryanrucker
Msg: 63
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/31/2009 12:49:17 PM
" as a man thinketh, so it is "
 JustDukky
Msg: 64
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 12/31/2009 11:01:58 PM
@ Hreps

It's not just that we speak & write things differently in each language; we THINK different!

I hope you've been reading about the Piraha (there's a thread here on them). They may well provide the evidence to prove your assertion that I quoted.

It would seem a truism that reality is only what we think it is.
 aremeself
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 1/1/2010 9:55:34 AM
we operate on perception of the moment.
even Albert e did.

how reliable is that?

why is that good enough?

because we have been led to believe it's all there ever will be, our ever changing, fallible, human perception.
 ryanrucker
Msg: 66
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 1/1/2010 1:04:16 PM
^^
everything is based on not only our perceptions but previous conceptions of others.
how reliable is that? why is anything good enough? we except that the fire is hot because someone else previously labeled the flame hot. but is it? how can we say what anything truely IS when everything has been identified and labeled by perception...
 ea®ly
Msg: 67
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 1/1/2010 1:08:07 PM

how can we say what anything truely IS when everything has been identified and labeled by perception...

Where the empirical, understanding and consensus collide.

A good starting point anywho.
 Island home
Msg: 68
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 1/1/2010 1:37:25 PM

how can we say what anything truely IS when everything has been identified and labeled by perception..

Every statement would need to be followed by a qualifier of :
as perceived by .........
as labeled by.........

Wouldnt that get you an invite to all the cool parties
 ea®ly
Msg: 69
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 1/1/2010 1:57:21 PM

Every statement would need to be followed by a qualifier of :
as perceived by .........
as labeled by.........

"Where the empirical, understanding and consensus collide"

Frame of reference, terms of reference and attribution via the first two.
 528lovefrequency
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 1/1/2010 5:32:30 PM
Bowden K,

To answer your question, I believe elites are a guiding influence who shapes reality through a percentage of personalities (as you put it).

With a few elite agendas being out of sight, I believe most of them are hiding in plain sight.

To give a few examples,

What is the need for red light cameras?

Government says to stop people from running red lights. Well, statistics has proven that more accidents were caused doubled since the red light cameras were implemented.

Red light cameras= Big Brother (invasion of your privacy= unconstitutional)

What is the need to put fluoride in the water?

Government says it prevents tooth decay. While the statement is true, it is not unsafe to digest. It is only ok to apply DIRECTLY on the teeth. Fluoride has been scientifically proven to cause brain damage and other neurological problems (the EPA has also confirmed this). Hiter used fluoride to dumb down the Jews making them docile.

Most people can't accept that the government is selfish and wouldn't mind sacrificing your life for the profit of theirs.

If you can't see past the curtains, then the architects are controlling your reality.
 ryanrucker
Msg: 71
Reality -- What is it?
Posted: 1/1/2010 8:40:34 PM
Red light cameras= Big Brother (invasion of your privacy= unconstitutional)
it is funny you should bring this up..... i created a thread today titled"BIG BROTHER"
and after 4 or 5 responses it has vanished........
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > "Reality" -- What is it?