Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Right wing radio host gets waterboarded for 7 seconds. Admits it is torturePage 3 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
"Your profile says you're a network administrator. Who do you think you're fooling?"

LOL

Ok, try to take off the hate glasses for a second, and look at the words-words DO means something- past tense, you may want to check it out. Apparently you've never heard of anyone changing careers? So filled with ideological kool-aid you can't even read straight. But by all means, continue to ignore the part of my profile that talks about the other things I have done, what ever justifies your irrational, knee jerk hate in your mind- I want you to feel good about yourself, really.

And exactly how am I trying to link myself to anyone LOL, Just another coward huh? Ok, skippy, keep grasping at something to justify your sheep like existence, I don't mind at all.

Have you ever served in the military? Worked in Law enforcement? Had a beloved son serving in Iraq? I have. I'll put mine and the sacrifices of my family up against yours any day my friend.
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Right wing radio host gets waterboarded for 7 seconds. Admits it is torture
Posted: 5/28/2009 10:44:06 AM
flyguy51,

I don't disagree with you at all, it is definitely a case for revenge, revenge I feel is well earned. And certainly an ingrained part of the culture from which KSM was spawned as well.

I would not want to see us use torture as a matter of course, but I feel in these 3 cases it was used it was justified. And while I disagree that you will always get bad intel from it, consider this, every lie they tell will have some grain of truth in it. They won't usually make one up out of whole cloth because they know that the interrogators are going to have some bits of accurate intel already i.e. they have to make even their lies plausible.

I believe that they know what ever they say is not going to be acted on at face value, rather taken as a starting point and verified through other means, therefore if they lie, they know they will get more of the same, and apparently, they don't want that. Which is, of course, the point.

If the documentation is ever declassified and shows for certain that the information garnered from these techniques did indeed , stop more major attacks, even just one more, I say it was the right thing to do even more. If not, I have NO sympathy for a man who saws another mans head off, on tape, for nothing more than his religious affiliation. You will indeed reap what you sow, at least in this instance it seems.

I shed no tear for poor KSM.
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 10:47:07 AM
"So now you're going to hide behind your son? You certainly are a coward. That's why you have to pretend that people you never met agree with you.

Your "sacrifices" are nothing more than a rabid delusion produced by a fevered mind."

Mental health services cut in your state recently?

Your entire post is nonsensical. But I like the use of big words....lends weight.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 12:13:00 PM

I don't disagree with you at all, it is definitely a case for revenge, revenge I feel is well earned.

No. A thousand times NO. Revenge is NEVER justified, and as a national policy serves only as a motivator for those who oppose us.

I don't care what information we may or may not have extracted through torture. The fact that we used it and publicly endorsed it serves as a potent recruitment tool for our enemies. Why would anyone support tactics that strengthen our enemies? And the reason we have a legal system is to avoid the lynch mob mentality I'm seeing far too often on this topic.

We can and should hold ourselves above despicable acts. The fact that despicable acts have been perpetrated against us is NO EXCUSE for lowering ourselves to the level of those we claim to be above. All that does is make impartial observers wonder whose side to be on. We should make that choice abundantly clear.

As a side note, were we not short on moderators, at least a couple of folks here would already be taking some vacation time. Passionately presenting ideas is one thing. Name calling is another. Calling someone a "coward", for example, is well over the line and justification to be banned from further forum participation. Let's treat each other with a bit of respect, shall we?

Dave
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 12:43:01 PM

No. A thousand times NO. Revenge is NEVER justified, and as a national policy serves only as a motivator for those who oppose us.

I don't care what information we may or may not have extracted through torture. The fact that we used it and publicly endorsed it serves as a potent recruitment tool for our enemies. Why would anyone support tactics that strengthen our enemies? And the reason we have a legal system is to avoid the lynch mob mentality I'm seeing far too often on this topic.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

I think it's pretty clear that Al-Qaeda was not having any recruitment problems long prior to 9-11. Abu Ghraib and KSM's waterboarding happened after, not before. I'd say they had plenty of motivation prior to 9-11, wouldn't you?

No terrorist captured on a foreign battle field, taking arms against the US, with no uniform and no affiliation with a recognized military is covered under our justice system. And should not be either.

Think about it, apply your reasoning to Pearl Harbor, we should never have gone to war after being deliberately attacked because that would fall under 'revenge'?

But the water boarding was not meant as revenge, it was used as an interrogation tool, the revenge is just a nice side benefit.

Sometimes to subdue your enemy, you have to be just as vicious as they are, unfortunate, but true. And I don't think anyone who has seen the Daniel Pearl video can deny that KSM is one vicious SOB. He was proud of what he did to that man, proud.

"In peace there 's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility;
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger:
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favoured rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect."
 jed456
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 2:22:01 PM

Sometimes to subdue your enemy, you have to be just as vicious as they are, unfortunate, but true. And I don't think anyone who has seen the Daniel Pearl video can deny that KSM is one vicious SOB. He was proud of what he did to that man, proud.

So because of a bunch of sick twisted disgusting individuals you want to descend to there level.That doesn't make any sense.Unless of course American value's and decency you want to throw out the window.I for one agree with the following statement.....“Waterboarding is inhumane, it is torture, and it is illegal… This is a critically important issue - but it is not, and never has been, a complex issue, and even to suggest otherwise does a terrible disservice to this nation… Waterboarding detainees amounts to illegal torture in all circumstances. To suggest otherwise - or even to give credence to such a suggestion - represents both an affront to the law and to the core values of our nation.” [Letter, 11/2/07]
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 4:10:18 PM
It's logical to believe that we treat different levels of criminal activity with different levels of punishment. If Khalid was to be prosecuted to full extent of the law in a capital punishment state he would no doubt get the death penalty but why kill this animal when he is a vast wealth of info. So if he his crimes are punishable by death then Waterboarding the freak of nature doesn't seem such a bad thing. Seriously he should live and be tortured every day of his life. Still he would not have paid for the pain and death he has mastermind.
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 4:25:15 PM
KSM was interogated for 3 months daily and relentlessly. (thats how it works) It is reported that he was waterboarded 183 total in that time period of probably a month. Each time water was poured on to his head for a predetermined amount of time that is one water boarding session. So in one day who knows how many times they poured water on his face.

I still think that he got off easy.

He is a serial Murder!
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 4:38:10 PM
When someone has a gun to your head you don't start singing kumbya (unless you're a leftie I guess) You use all force necessary to stop their threat. KSM's knowledge of impending attacks constituted a loaded gun pointed at the entire US.

You meet force with greater force, or you become a victim, I choose not to be a victim. And I choose for my nation not to be victimized again. Water boarding was used in 3 specific cases and for specific reasons, welcome to the real world, it's a nasty place sometimes- sorry to burst your bubble.

Your moral high road doesn't help the person jumping from the 98th floor now does it?

If you feel it more intellectual and enlightened to be a victim, by all means carry on, the terrorists will be happy to oblige you.

Our first, moral obligation, is to protect our country and it's citizens, if a couple of people with information to prevent that need a little encouragement to tell what they know, too bad, KSM should be executed, instead he is alive, and has not want for food or medical care- I do not feel sorry for him. He chose his path and this is where it has led him. He is proud of having master minded the killing of 2,800 of your countrymen- in a most horrific manner- yet you continue to vilify the victim and not the perpetrator.

Curious that.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 6:07:09 PM
I think it's pretty clear that Al-Qaeda was not having any recruitment problems long prior to 9-11. Abu Ghraib and KSM's waterboarding happened after, not before. I'd say they had plenty of motivation prior to 9-11, wouldn't you?

My point is that we played right into their hands by exhibiting the behavior after 9/11 that we were accused of before. Had we managed the aftermath differently, Al Qaeda would have found little sympathy anywhere in the world.

No terrorist captured on a foreign battle field, taking arms against the US, with no uniform and no affiliation with a recognized military is covered under our justice system.

Any human being in our custody should be afforded basic rights. That includes the right not to be tortured. I'm not talking about coddling, but I am talking about humane treatment. And it's clear that we need to develop legal protocols for handling such cases. Gitmo has turned into a global embarrassment.

Think about it, apply your reasoning to Pearl Harbor, we should never have gone to war after being deliberately attacked because that would fall under 'revenge'?

My reasoning doesn't apply to Pearl Harbor. That was a military strike against a military base, resulting in a military response. The only place my reasoning applies in that case is in how we should have treated any captured prisoners. Is there any evidence we water boarded any japanese? Or as Jesse Ventura noted, is that something we only do to Muslims?

Sometimes to subdue your enemy, you have to be just as vicious as they are, unfortunate, but true

Anyone in our custody has already been subdued. No need for vicious behavior at that point.

And I don't think anyone who has seen the Daniel Pearl video can deny that KSM is one vicious SOB. He was proud of what he did to that man, proud.

A perfect example to prove my point, actually. When you saw that video was your reaction "these folks are nasty - we should do whatever they want and not confront them" or instead did it inflame your passion to respond violently? So why should we expect our enemies to be cowed by our use of torture, when they're far more likely to be much more highly motivated?

Dave
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 6:52:31 PM

A perfect example to prove my point, actually. When you saw that video was your reaction "these folks are nasty - we should do whatever they want and not confront them" or instead did it inflame your passion to respond violently? So why should we expect our enemies to be cowed by our use of torture, when they're far more likely to be much more highly motivated?

They were already highly motivated years before 911, that's clear.

KSM deserves much worse than what he got and is currently getting, of that there is no doubt. Water boarding was used on him and two others- forgive me if I don't shed a bitter tear for the poor **stards.

I don't advocate torture as a matter of course, but I do know it can be effective in getting time sensitive intel from an unwilling person. It's not something that can remain effective over the long term, our people know this and that is why it is used in a limited way to focus on a specific bit of intel. KSM was never going to drown or be allowed to be permanently harmed- and somehow I think someone capable of sawing another mans head off is not so delicate in his sensibilities that we should worry about traumatizing him. If you can hold a freshly severed head up to the camera with glee, counseling is the least of your needs.

He was made a little scared, so what? I bet Daniel Pearl felt a lot more terror than KSM did.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 7:14:31 PM

I don't advocate torture as a matter of course, but I do know it can be effective in getting time sensitive intel from an unwilling person.

From what I can tell, that seems to be very much a minority perspective within the intelligence community, and the concept of time sensitive intel is also a lot more rare than we might think.

Looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree both on torture and whether there is ever justification for revenge.

Just so you know, I don't shed any tears for those who have committed heinous acts either, but neither do I advocate for their torture or extreme treatment. They simply need to be removed from society so they can no longer do what they did.
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 7:17:22 PM
"My point is that we played right into their hands by exhibiting the behavior after 9/11 that we were accused of before. Had we managed the aftermath differently, Al Qaeda would have found little sympathy anywhere in the world."

In these situations your damned if you do or damned if you don't, naturally if your going to have the reputation of being a hard ass letting people walk all over you and disrupt you life and community is not going to make the bad people go away. Sometimes living up to the rep is important. Offense gives you better fighting positions after the battle has started. Battle was started a long time before 9/11 and that was the day we were made to be on the defensive. It should never happen again.
 cotter
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 7:35:28 PM

No terrorist captured on a foreign battle field, taking arms against the US, with no uniform and no affiliation with a recognized military is covered under our justice system. And should not be either.
LMAO ... captured on a battlefield taking arms against the US. Most of them were bought from the Pakistanis. There's information about it all over the web.

The "captured on a foreign battlefield taking arms against the US" is nothing more than a bunch of neocon propaganda bunk.

But the water boarding was not meant as revenge, it was used as an interrogation tool, the revenge is just a nice side benefit.
The water boarding done to Al Libi produced all kinds of false information and that information was used to promote us into illegally invading a sovereign nation. In the meantime, hundreds of thousands have been killed.

The thread topic is about a man who previously insisted that water boarding was not torture and since having it done to himself, has determined that indeed it is torture. Coming in here and making all kinds of wild statements and ranting on about revenge while calling others names won't change what that man now thinks.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea for some to do a review on the forum rules.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 7:35:43 PM

In these situations your damned if you do or damned if you don't

I agree that the natural reaction is to lash out, but I really do wish that we had focused our violence on Bin Laden and his gang, rather than entire countries. I really think we could have enlisted the support of almost every other country in the world to hunt him down and bring him to justice. Instead we threw away all that international goodwill and set ourselves up for criticism.

dave
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 8:18:26 PM

agree that the natural reaction is to lash out, but I really do wish that we had focused our violence on Bin Laden and his gang, rather than entire countries. I really think we could have enlisted the support of almost every other country in the world to hunt him down and bring him to justice. Instead we threw away all that international goodwill and set ourselves up for criticism.

Unfortunately, painting your own version of history doesn't make it so. A bit more detail happened, and Hind sight is a useless tool.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 8:35:29 PM

Unfortunately, painting your own version of history doesn't make it so. A bit more detail happened, and Hind sight is a useless tool.

Not that it matters, but that was my perspective at the time, too. I actively protested both our Afghanistan and Iraq actions. If you'd asked me the day after 9/11 what we should do it would have sounded much like what I just wrote.

And yes, we can learn from our mistakes. I really hope we never consider torture again. That will help fade this black mark in our history.

Dave
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 10:26:43 PM
Your right Barbe, I misspoke by saying it was useless .. You can always learn from the past.

Not that it matters, but that was my perspective at the time, too. I actively protested both our Afghanistan and Iraq actions. If you'd asked me the day after 9/11 what we should do it would have sounded much like what I just wrote./

Ok wvwaterfall i want to try something with you to maybe get an idea of what your tolerance level is.

You said your opinion based on what information was provided to you at the time of the towers falling, Planes flying into buildings such as the Pentagon, and trade center another plane flowned into the ground and people on the plane confirming the that it was being hijacked by terrorist later found to be Al Queda and the the search for Bin Laden in afhganistan after confirming that he was involved in 911 , Saddams antics in concealing the whereabouts of documented wmds and not cooperating with the UN and weapons inspectors stretching over several years. Saddams already known capabilities to deploy weapons of mass destruction on hundred of thousands of innocent people ,according to Sandy Berger on 10 separate occasions ... possible communications bettween Saddams regime and AL Quaeda bettween 1992 and 2003. Based on all this information Millions of peoples lives and futures hingeing on your decision to act in a timely manner and with impeccable judgement.

What decisions would you make to secure the nation and prevent possible future attacks?
 jed456
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2009 10:54:04 PM
Your moral high road doesn't help the person jumping from the 98th floor now does it?

Nor does it help them or our country to be as vicious as our enemies.Or to sink to there level.

If you feel it more intellectual and enlightened to be a victim, by all means carry on, the terrorists will be happy to oblige you.

How is not supporting torture and trying to uphold the core principles of the united states being a victim?I would say by using the same tactic's as AL qaeda your "joining there mindset".

yet you continue to vilify the victim and not the perpetrator.

I have stated what has happened on 9 11 and Daniel pearl were barbaric and disgusting yet you advocate using the same tactic's curious that.You know being as vicious as our enemies.Sorry to burst your bubble but it would be just as morally wrong to see an American soldier beheading a person as pearl was beheaded.Our nation should be above torture morally legally and the simple fact that numerous jags,interrogation experts CIA have all stated it is wrong.And lead's to false information.

Nice company you want to join Chase J. Nielsen, one of the U.S. airmen who flew in the Doolittle raid following the attack on Pearl Harbor, was subjected to waterboarding by his Japanese captors At their trial for war crimes following the war, he testified "Well, I was put on my back on the floor with my arms and legs stretched out, one guard holding each limb. The towel was wrapped around my face and put across my face and water poured on. They poured water on this towel until I was almost unconscious from strangulation, then they would let up until I'd get my breath, then they'd start over again… I felt more or less like I was drowning, just gasping between life and death."
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 5:02:17 AM

I have stated what has happened on 9 11 and Daniel pearl were barbaric and disgusting yet you advocate using the same tactic's curious that.You know being as vicious as our enemies.Sorry to burst your bubble but it would be just as morally wrong to see an American soldier beheading a person as pearl was beheaded.Our nation should be above torture morally legally and the simple fact that numerous jags,interrogation experts CIA have all stated it is wrong.And lead's to false information.

As far as i know no American has cut off anyones head for a camera in the same manner that KSM did. Compareing the treatment that detainees get at Gitmo to the treatment of americans when in the clutches of Terrorist is hands down americans are brutalized ...
 cotter
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 9:02:10 AM
While I would NEVER ever condone the death of Dan Pearl, some of you need to know what he was up to over there in order to know WHY exactly he was abducted and what he was up to over there. Hint ... it was not just because he was an American reporter nonchalantly minding his own business.

Try searching the Internet with the mere question of "Why was Dan Pearl in Afghanistan?"

OT ...
The topic of the thread is about a man who discovered after trying water boarding (not even the severe way) that it was in fact TORTURE ... DUH.

PS ... no matter what, we should never stoop to the level of sadistic depraved behavior such as TORTURE. Besides, it's illegal.
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 9:18:47 AM
Of course you have to beat down the victim now. I am not even going to there because for what ever reason Daniel was there it couldn't have possible justified his death, and if you say it does then I have to call you on that too because in your opinion KSM doesn't deserve waterboarding even though he has murdered more people then we will ever know for sure and yet Daniel deserved to have his head cut off because he was doing what??????
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 9:20:59 AM
ps. instead of stooping the the hideous behavior of water boarding we should replace it with a respectable beheading.
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 9:34:16 AM

How is not supporting torture and trying to uphold the core principles of the united states being a victim?I would say by using the same tactic's as AL qaeda your "joining there mindset".

yet you continue to vilify the victim and not the perpetrator.

As I have stated before, I don't advocate the use of these techniques in all cases and as a general rule- that would be wrong and put us on the same level as AQ. However I am also a veteran of the REAL world and I understand that sometimes you may have to do slightly distasteful things in order to get the information needed, especially when the threat is eminent.

In the grand scheme of all the known techniques of torture in the world, water boarding is kindergarten play. You need only look at Iraq under Saddam for proof, or any other number of dictatorial regimes past and present- Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tung, Castro, Iran under the Mullah's. Or read a book titled Bravo Two Zero, and you will see the mindset these people come from. In general you do not reason with a lunatic, and KSM certainly qualifies as such.

And if a little discomfort avoided more attacks on densely populated areas like LA (my home town) then I don't see a down side, and we have actually held to our core principals to preserve, protect and defend the constitution- the whole aim of AQ is and was to destroy America- seems to me our constitution would be a part of that. Muslims in Britain like to carry signs at protests saying "Freedom Go To Hell" so I'm pretty sure I'm spot on about that.

Ok, number one, quit using my lines. Number two, the AG's office said that using these technique was legal when used in a proscribed manner and for a limited purpose- which is what happened. These techniques do not always lead to false intel, and if you really knew anything about how interrogations like this are handled you would understand why. Sometimes they will say anything, true, but they know that if the spooks have a general idea already- which they usually do- then the intel they give better be good or they will get a little more uncomfortable. And again like I said, that intel is not just taken at face value, but verified and cross checked with other sources of intel, then if it proves out, you get them to flesh out the details needed to disrupt their plans. If you don't already have enough.

I challenge you to show one place where I advocate slicing someones head off, that's the tactic they use, except maybe for Sgt. Matt Maupin, who they shot in the back, but still made sure to film it and post it on the internet. Nice folks huh? Again, KSM, still alive, still being fed 3 squares a day. Meals, I might add, catered to his 'religious' sensibilities as well, libtards would be screaming if we didn't do that. I say serve him pork chops every meal, he'll eat when he gets hungry enough. But that would be considered torture too I bet.

As much as you would like it to be, this is not a black and white thing.

Nice company you want to join Chase J. Nielsen, one of the U.S. airmen who flew in the Doolittle raid following the attack on Pearl Harbor, was subjected to waterboarding by his Japanese captors At their trial for war crimes following the war, he testified "Well, I was put on my back on the floor with my arms and legs stretched out, one guard holding each limb. The towel was wrapped around my face and put across my face and water poured on. They poured water on this towel until I was almost unconscious from strangulation, then they would let up until I'd get my breath, then they'd start over again… I felt more or less like I was drowning, just gasping between life and death."

That's a nice cut and paste job but do you really know anything about it? Perhaps you've heard about the two downed US navy airmen at the battle of midway that were picked up by a jap navy destroyer, interrogated and then tossed overboard with shell casings chained to their feet? Maybe the rape of Nanking? Bataan death march? The treatment of British and Aussie prisoners in Burma maybe? Unit 731? No? Then you need to educate yourself and quit talking out of your arse.

Water boarding 100 AQ terrorists would still never put us in a league with them, ever.

And apparently LT. Col Nielsen was none the worse for the wear as he went on to a long career in the Air Force and passed away in 2007.
 NurbyDriver
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 9:51:45 AM

While I would NEVER ever condone the death of Dan Pearl, some of you need to know what he was up to over there in order to know WHY exactly he was abducted and what he was up to over there. Hint ... it was not just because he was an American reporter nonchalantly minding his own business.

Oh, perish the though that you would EVER intimate that there was some justification for Pearls torture and murder, heaven forbid......oh, wait!

So why don't YOU tell us what nefarious thing he was up to there that caused poor, misunderstood KSM to slice his head off on camera. Or are you afraid to say it because it will expose your true colors?

I love it when libs start with trying to qualify what they are about to say so they can try to absolve themselves of being on the side of the bad guys, even when it's clear that they are.

Come on cotter, what was Danny doing there huh? What was he doing to bring a heinous murder upon himself? If you're going to imply it, have the integrity to say it yourself.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >