Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > How Good Do You Have To Be To Get Into Heaven?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aremeself
Msg: 41
view profile
History
How Good Do You Have To Be To Get Into Heaven?Page 10 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
what authority can I use.

anyway, ain't many of us going to be comfortable, ready, or useful in that spiritual state, I think.

j
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 42
How Good Do You Have To Be To Get Into Heaven?
Posted: 7/8/2009 10:46:39 PM
I've been told that I won't go to Heaven unless I'm a good person. So just HOW good do I have to be in order to just barely get into Heaven? (Any EXTRA "goodness" on my part would be a waste of effort. )

Similarly, how BAD can I be and still NOT go to "the other place"?

First, you must assume that there is a "heaven." Jesus often used the words "Kingdom of God" so assuming he meant "heaven" when he said "Kingdom of God" is a literary mistake. "Heaven" might be another place for the dead to go, IMHO. "Hell" could be yet another. I am a Native American Spiritualist, and we go to live with the Eagles, the Bears, the Coyotes, etc. If you want to go to the "Kingdom of God" you should ask "The Father" in the name of "Yeshua," according to my translations.

The spirits have told me that I am going to live with my wife, who passed in 2004, and the Eagles. She was not an Indian, but she was raised by an Apache Warrior, and became part of the tribe by custom. I became part by marrying her. The spirits of Geronimo and Sitting Bull have told me that I will be with the Eagles.

Christians seek the rapture. I seek the RAPTOR.
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/8/2009 11:14:49 PM

oh please......and what do you want ------someone to join you in the
i don't know club???

Do you know, or just believe? Did Jesus say;" You must have faith" or "You know dat's how it Be, bro"
 JustDukky
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/8/2009 11:25:06 PM

Start with the l0 commandments--------

You can skip the first one if you like. God isn't really jealous & doesn't care if you put other Gods before Him, it just got thrown in because it rounded things off. After all, Moses woulda looked pretty silly with a blank space on one tablet and the ad-men woulda been up in arms about it until it donned on them to market them as "the 9 commandments (marked down from 10)" to make them look like a better deal.
If you still feel the need to make ten of them, make one of your own. "Thou shalt have a cold beer on a hot day." sounds pretty good & definitely makes the set more marketable. It's also a nice break from all the "Thou shalt not"s.
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/8/2009 11:32:57 PM
You can skip the first one if you like.

No way!

Yeshua restated it. "Thou shalt love the Lord, THY GOD, with......."

He didn't want you to love MY God. He wanted you to love THY GOD, whatever you think he might be. Even if you think THY GOD is the almighty dollar, or if THY GOD is Just Ducky.
 Mister Logic
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/9/2009 12:58:47 AM
When I started this thread (and also the one about "If you were a king with absolute power"), it was not my intention to start an argument about which religion is the "correct" one (or whether "my God can beat up your God" ). My purpose was to try and start a discussion about the non-realistic way in which the Aristotelian philosophy of thinking about such things as "heaven" and "hell" (whether or not those places actually exist) leads to inconsistencies.

The concept that I was hoping to discuss was something known as "Fuzzy Logic" (also known as "shades of gray" logic), a way of thinking based on the mathematical theory of "Fuzzy Sets".

I was attempting to show that the concept of a "boundary line" separating" those who are allowed into heaven, and those who are not allowed into heaven is a silly concept. And yet, that "boundary line" way of thinking is the way we all have been indoctrinated to think... not only about such things as "heaven" and "hell", but about virtually everything in reality! (For example, how old do you have to be before you are an "adult"? 21? If so, why? What do you think is so "magical" about the number "21"... or any other number?)

(It looks like I will have to start a completely separate thread about "Fuzzy Logic", since I failed to achieve my goals in this thread.)
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/9/2009 1:06:58 AM
If it ain't fuzzy enough for you, read my post 194. I did what you asked without your additional prompting. I don't imagine that you read every post before you decided to state what you were looking for, so I thought I might point it out.
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/9/2009 9:56:44 AM

'To Believe ..............is ...............to Know'

Keep believing. I believe in PT Barnum and circus sales. Have you ever seen the miracles of magic at the circus? Believe that there is a sucker born every minute that buys into hearsay and promply dismisses the truth.
 vapeninsula
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 7:20:38 PM

I've been told that I won't go to Heaven unless I'm a good person. So just HOW good do I have to be in order to just barely get into Heaven? (Any EXTRA "goodness" on my part would be a waste of effort. )

Similarly, how BAD can I be and still NOT go to "the other place"?

Well MISTER LOGIC, have you read the Bible to find out? Don't you think that what you were told was rather shallow, and deserved more research to confirm? So either you are trolling, or too lazy to dig into the Bible yourself to find the answer.

The answer is a single word, you figure it out.
 aremeself
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2009 1:07:02 AM
mr. logic, its all relative, until you study it. did I say that? study?
 aremeself
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2009 6:48:32 PM
are you hiding your candle under a bush??
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 52
Posted: 7/23/2009 9:09:26 PM
You have to be so good that you love listening to harp music 24/7 and not complain about praising God all day and all night. Otherwise you wouldn't want to be there "according to St. John the Devine."

They don't need anymore harp players. I think it is full of Lyres, but that goes to show how forgiving he can be.
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/26/2009 7:35:33 PM

What does heaven have to do with being a half decent human being. Why not be good for the sake of being good without any type of reward in the end?
Why not? Would it hurt you so much to allow others to indulge in a fantasy/belief which your beliefs don't support? Is it considered "decent" to attack the fantasies (or beliefs)of others?

The scenerio being, if a person is lying on the side of the road needing help, will you help them because you were promised to go to heaven or help them because its the right thing to do, without religion getting in the way?

Some might. Many don't.

I don't believe in heaven or hell or the threats of what God will do if you don't do the right thing. I believe in logic, common sense and the respect for others and the planet we live on, the planet that gives us life.

I believe that common sense isn't so common.

I don't need to read the bible or look for rewards in the end to be a good human being.

It's not that easy to understand the entire message of the Bible. Some folks set it on a pedestal, and worship it without reading it. Many folks have read it, and don't seem to understand it, IMO. Many read it all of the time, and still ask someone else what the words mean. I don't need to read the New York Times to get the news, but once in a blue moon, I will even read their drivel.
 JustDukky
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/26/2009 8:23:59 PM

I don't need to read the New York Times to get the news, but once in a blue moon, I will even read their drivel.

As long as you know it's drivel, there's no harm done. How many New York Times readers believe it's NOT drivel? Do you think they are, or are not harmed by placing their faith in somebody else's propaganda?
 JustDukky
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/26/2009 9:09:56 PM
Why does there have to be an agenda for being good?

Because the assumption is that people are basically either children who haven't yet learned what's right and have to be told & encouraged, or (like children) are self-serving ba$tards with no inclination to be good unless there is a carrot/stick system in place to ensure appropriate behaviour.

That you would even pose such a silly question shows that you have a naive child-like mind that requires the guidance & discipline only an almighty father figure could provide. (if you want to get to Heaven, I mean)

PS: don't think for a minute that you are good simply because you think so. You are tainted by original sin and must be saved & baptized if you want to go to heaven.
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/26/2009 9:35:32 PM
Do you think they are, or are not harmed by placing their faith in somebody else's propaganda?

It might appear that they are harmed, but 1000 screaming psychotic monkeys could not distract the faithful readers. Were I my brother's keeper, I would demand a higher wage for the services rendered. As far as propaganda goes, you can choose your poison among the various sources, or choose to think for yourself. The more I read your posts, dukky, I believe that you have chosen the latter course. Maybe we can get to heaven if we start reading the Times and believing in "demagogues." Its amazing how many people believe we evolved from monkeys when so many of us seem more like herd animals.
 JustDukky
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/26/2009 9:44:15 PM

Maybe we can get to heaven if we start reading the Times and believing in "demogogues."

I'm not so sure I'd want to go there. Every time someone tried to describe their concept of Heaven, it came out sounding more like Hell to me...

...Unless of course there's a refrigerated cornucopia there, stocked with beer...Then I might reconsider...
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/26/2009 9:48:50 PM
C'mon now! Harp music 24/7 and praising the Lord on High from sunrise to sunset? The fearsome beating of Angel's wings as they drag the heathens away from the Glory of his very shadow?

It sounds a bit better than "I love Lucy" reruns, but then again if we could change the channel, I wouldn't mind watching from the other side to see how the Christians absorb their "perfect ending" after they arrive.
 JustDukky
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/26/2009 10:12:09 PM
Conversation with the last guy who tried to "save" me:

me: Can I have all the beer I can drink?
him: No, but you won't want any because it's so wonderful you won't feel a need to drink.
me: I don't feel a need to drink now. I drink 'cause I like it. Won't God let me have all the beer I can drink?
him: Well, he might let you have one or two, but I don't think there's drunkenness in heaven.
me: What about parties; can't I get drunk at the parties?
him: I doubt it. They don't have that sort of thing in heaven.
me: No parties?
him: It's so wonderful it's like a party all the time.
me: Hey, Great, now what about beer for the party?
him: Sorry...maybe one or two.
me: You call that a party? How about women? Lotsa women?
him: It isn't like that there; men & women are just friends.
me: I got plenty of "just friends" women here. What about someone "hot"?
him (laughing): That would be the "other place."
me: What's in the other place?
him: unrepentent sinners, prostitutes, drunkards...
me: Can I book a ticket on that flight instead?
him: Never mind; I think your passage is already booked! Good day!
 JustDukky
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/26/2009 10:18:57 PM

This is for intelligent debate on philosophical topics.

He's right. Check msg 226 for a sample of our intelligent philosophy.
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/26/2009 10:46:01 PM
How you act is pointless since they believe that they have already been saved.

Therein lies the dichotomy. True salvation is actually "liberation, " in my opinion. The word "Messiah" in Hebrew means "liberator" more than it means "savior." It was a poor choice of translations which led to the "apostacy" of the church, according to what I have gleaned from my readings. "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free" are the words of liberation. Should we seek the truth, or salvation by way of "the traditions of our fathers," which unceasingly stand in the way of the truth? (in the words of the "Christ" himself) A "Christ" is an annointed one. (A claim which is easily proven) Glaringly, Jesus was a skilled philosopher who understood the moral values asserted by the Prophets, and reasoned them in special ways. He declared the kingdom, and rarley spoke of "heaven" but to answer the questions of the superstitious and guide them rightly, IMO. The four gospels read more like a great philosphy guide than a guide to a religion, IMO. My first epiphany was philosophical.

There are a few spiritual references. You won't understand them until you have spoken with the spirits, IMO. My second epiphany was spiritual. If there is a heaven, the spirits have told me nothing of it. They seem to indicate that beer will be there, so Dukky and I will be where we want to be watching "I love Lucy" reruns to our hearts content, IMO.

"Annoint thy head" or as the Airplane said: Feed your head. Go ask alice.
 aremeself
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2009 5:36:19 PM
we were created to live on earth.
 desicracky
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/20/2009 8:49:52 PM
themadfiddler pls contact me.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > How Good Do You Have To Be To Get Into Heaven?